Has an error been made regarding silk?

in Crafting

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Looks like silk has settled down to a pretty reasonable price. Guess they knew what they were doing after all. Plus after the first 30 days when everyone has their armor the demand will fall pretty fast and prices will drop further.

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Plus after the first 30 days when everyone has their armor the demand will fall pretty fast and prices will drop further.

What “everyone”? You are aware, that even now, number of people still crafting ascended weapons is likely still greater than those that are done with it? I’m pretty sure than a month from now number of people that are done with armor will still be only a small minority. And that’s even when we ignore people that are not interested in ascended at all, and count only those actually crafting.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m pretty sure silk is generated by items being dropped and salvaged by players.

Exactly how is the supply controlled by ANet?

• Do they directly manipulate every drop to control the items that provide silk?
  • Do they directly manipulate every salvage to control the quantity of silk generated?
  • Do they make players farm above items or hinder players from farming them?
  • Do they put limits on how many items can be sold, forged or salvaged by any individual player (or group of players)?
  • Can only X # of players generate silk at any one time?
  • Can each player only generate X amount of silk over a given period of time?

All of the above factors determine the SUPPLY of silk and while it may be technically possible for them to actually perform the first 2, there is no evidence that any “secret” limits have been put in place (I will wait for the tin-foil hats to point those out to me).

Anet can CERTAINLY generate demand, but they don’t actually have direct control over it (unless they have some secret mind control device that works on every player).

Again, trying to obtain 10,000 silk scraps in a matter of a few days IS unreasonable, but over a month or so, it’s not that hard to do. This entire panic is caused by a segment of the players wanting a set of items that have been designed to be a long term goal RIGHT NOW. Anet has (somewhat) allowed them to be able to obtain it faster than their intentions, but it’s going to cost you quite a bit to be an “early adopter”.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Crafting

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m pretty sure silk is generated by items being dropped and salvaged by players.

• Do they directly manipulate every drop to control the items that provide silk?
  • Do they directly manipulate every salvage to control the quantity of silk generated?
  • Do they put limits on how many items can be sold, forged or salvaged by any individual player (or group of players)?

All of the above factors determine the SUPPLY of silk and while it may be technically possible for them to actually perform the first 2, there is no evidence that any “secret” limits have been put in place (I will wait for the tin-foil hats to point those out to me).

Anet can CERTAINLY generate demand, but they don’t actually have direct control over it (unless they have some secret mind control device that works on every player).

Again, trying to obtain 10,000 silk scraps in a matter of a few days IS unreasonable, but over a month or so, it’s not that hard to do. This entire panic is caused by a segment of the players wanting a set of items that have been designed to be a long term goal RIGHT NOW. Anet has (somewhat) allowed them to be able to obtain it faster than their intentions, but it’s going to cost you quite a bit to be an “early adopter”.

I’m not sure what you were going for… but the answer to every one of those questions is yes…

in Crafting

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And 6 months from now it won’t matter. Silk was probably the highest supplied material and is fairly common. It only seems bad at first because there’s such a huge demand for it at the moment. Once things settle down then it won’t be an issue. Anet was likely thinking towards the long term rather than short term which 95% of people focus on.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mike.5091

Mike.5091

All those stacks of silk I npc’d …

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

^^ You missed his point completely … the price is going to go down. It’s only expensive if you choose to buy your mats to make your armor ASAP.

Gathering 10,000 silk scraps would take an insane amount of time. Like I’ve said before I’ve been accumulating them for months ever since it became obvious that ascended armor was coming and what the requirement were likely to be and I haven’t got even half of that.

His point still stands and is valid. You can wait for the price to come down to something more reasonable, and it will.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m not sure what you were going for… but the answer to every one of those questions is yes…

Sorry, but I call BS on that answer…..prove even ONE of them is absolutely YES (without resorting to some wild, tinfoil hat theory….you know with some facts).

You do understand when I say “manipulate”, I don’t mean “let the game generate an RNG number that was programmed”, but mean that they CHANGE the potential outcome to directly determine just exactly how much Silk is available in the game at any one time….If you seriously believe that is even possible you need serious and professional psychiatric care.

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Crafting

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Of course Anet control the economy.

The problem with silk is the amount needed. 300. A day.

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

You are of course aware, that nothing of this is really necessary to control the supply of silk, unless you really, really want to finetune it to a single scrap?
What the Anet does is controlling:
The drop rate of items that can contain silk (bags, salvageable cloth pieces and cloth armor drops)
The chance results of getting silk from bags or salvages.
The quantity obtained.

They are aware of how much farming is going on in the game, and where, and based on this they are constantly doing hidden (and not so hidden) adjustments to the drop tables, as well as keep nerfing and/or providing new farm spots.

Yes, they do control the supply.

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Sorry, but I call BS on that answer…..prove even ONE of them is absolutely YES (without resorting to some wild, tinfoil hat theory….you know with some facts).

You do understand when I say “manipulate”, I don’t mean “let the game generate an RNG number that was programmed”, but mean that they CHANGE the potential outcome to directly determine just exactly how much Silk is available in the game at any one time….If you seriously believe that is even possible you need serious and professional psychiatric care.

Not sure if serious. I’ll bite. Every and all of the games coding is done by anet. Ofcorse they are in control of everything you stated.

-> Yes, by defining what items have silk on their refinable table. (And by defining I mean coding, you know the stuff that makes the game work the way it’s supposed to)
    -> Yes, by defining the salvage chance and amount of silk provided.
    -> Yes, but that’s beside the issue. Even if the answer were no it wouldn’t change the outcome since player farm is only a result to supply/demand generated through in game situations which are defined by code. Remember how anet buffed, then nerfed champion loot bags? There, directly affecting players farm behavior.
    -> Lol what? How does this have to do with anything? Okay, yes they do. Providing a limit to posting ins tacks of 250 is a barrier. Defining how many resources are required for an item directly affects how many of said item you can produce. Salvage efficiency is directly related to how the refining loot table works.
    -> Your question are not even on topic any more. If anet wanted to they could make it so. They could put in a line of code saying:"Only characters with names beginning with the letter “R” can now salvage silk."
    -> Sure they can, and the amount X is directly controlled by the code of the game. The code is 100% in control of anet, you getting what I’m going for?

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

Not sure if serious. I’ll bite. Every and all of the games coding is done by anet. Ofcorse they are in control of everything you stated.

-> Yes, by defining what items have silk on their refinable table. (And by defining I mean coding, you know the stuff that makes the game work the way it’s supposed to)

My question was do they ADJUST this on the fly to make sure that some X amount of Silk is all that is possible for a given time frame? The idea that they are constantly manipulating the potential for Silk to be “generated” is absurd. I have no doubt they have the capability to adjust this periodically, but you would have to provide long term evidence that this is the case (something that might not even be possible with DR code in place). Yes, the DR code is similar but does not target any one specific material like you are suggesting.

-> Yes, by defining the salvage chance and amount of silk provided.

But that is a set number that is not changed in real-time to directly manipulate how much silk is ever introduced to the game….it’s a set value (granted, it may change but again, evidence would be needed to prove it is being altered on the fly to effect ONE specific material).

-> Yes, but that’s beside the issue. Even if the answer were no it wouldn’t change the outcome since player farm is only a result to supply/demand generated through in game situations which are defined by code.

What? If 5000 players farm an area (that generates silk scraps from salvage) instead of 50, you want us to believe this does not effect the supply of silk? Demand has NOTHING to do with you claim that Anet directly manipulates the available SUPPLY…don’t change the parameters of your claim midstream.

Remember how anet buffed, then nerfed champion loot bags? There, directly affecting players farm behavior.

No….that’s called INDIRECTLY effecting their behavior. Directly effecting it would have been removing the champs from their locations (so farming them would have been simply not possible at all) or denying players access to the zone.

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

-> Lol what? How does this have to do with anything? Okay, yes they do. Providing a limit to posting ins tacks of 250 is a barrier. Defining how many resources are required for an item directly affects how many of said item you can produce. Salvage efficiency is directly related to how the refining loot table works.

So you don’t think that being able to promote Silk to Gossamer has NO effect on the available supply of Silk? Crafting Ascended or other items that require Silk does not effect the supply? How exactly does Anet control those player decisions?
Listing material on the TP directly effects the available supply and a limit of a 250 stack does NOT limit what I can sell (or buy) it just makes it more time consuming (not saying it is not a FACTOR in a players decision, but it does NOT stop them one way or another).

-> Your question are not even on topic any more. If anet wanted to they could make it so. They could put in a line of code saying:"Only characters with names beginning with the letter “R” can now salvage silk."

Of course they COULD but what does that have to do with the current state of the game? If you are now stating that ANet COULD directly limit the exact supply of Silk in the game that is totally DIFFERENT from your claim that they currently DO so. Quit changing your claim.

-> Sure they can, and the amount X is directly controlled by the code of the game. The code is 100% in control of anet, you getting what I’m going for?

Ok, maybe this one was worded wrong as the drop chance obviously plays a major factor here but it is not the only factor. My point on this was that if I farm Silk for 30 minutes or farm silk for 30 hours does change the supply of Silk in the game (not by much, overall). What if 100,000 players all farm Silk for 30 hours? Your implication is that Anet’s code would somehow alter the drop rates, salvage rates and loot bag rates so that the current supply of Silk would not be increased significantly? THAT is the part of your tin-foil hat theory that I don’t buy …. at all.

I HAVE never not agreed with the point that all these crazy theories about code manipulation are technically possible (I’m sure they are), but you making wild claims that it is actively how the game works with NO evidence is pure tin-foil hat conspiracy theory BS.

in Crafting

Cyninja.2954

My question was do they ADJUST this on the fly to make sure that some X amount of Silk is all that is possible for a given time frame? The idea that they are constantly manipulating the potential for Silk to be “generated” is absurd. I have no doubt they have the capability to adjust this periodically, but you would have to provide long term evidence that this is the case (something that might not even be possible with DR code in place). Yes, the DR code is similar but does not target any one specific material like you are suggesting.

No one said they are constantly manipulating on the fly except you. The argument up until you brought this up was that they manipulate as they deem fit.

But that is a set number that is not changed in real-time to directly manipulate how much silk is ever introduced to the game….it’s a set value (granted, it may change but again, evidence would be needed to prove it is being altered on the fly to effect ONE specific material).

Again, no one cares about real time. You’re the only one obsessed with it. I don’t have to control a market in real time. Periodic “updates” or hotfixes (which mostly happen to hotfix bugs that affect the market) are possible (remember last years amulet exploit?).

What? If 5000 players farm an area (that generates silk scraps from salvage) instead of 50, you want us to believe this does not effect the supply of silk? Demand has NOTHING to do with you claim that Anet directly manipulates the available SUPPLY…don’t change the parameters of your claim midstream.

I don’t think you understood what I said. If 5,000 players farm an area anet can nerf the farm. Result = no more 5,000 player farming that area. If they want to make people farm something more they can increase the reward. Result = more people farming that specific thing. The amount and the type of farm people do is directly controlled by anet. And that’s only the supply side.

No….that’s called INDIRECTLY effecting their behavior. Directly effecting it would have been removing the champs from their locations (so farming them would have been simply not possible at all) or denying players access to the zone.

Actually no, it’s directly affecting their behavior. Assuming champs are farmed primarily for champion loot bags, which I’d say is the case. Making any type of change to loot bags will directly affect the farm. Indirectly affecting the farm would be if they removed the experience or karma gain. People would farm less, but their main incentive to farm would still be loot bags.

So you don’t think that being able to promote Silk to Gossamer has NO effect on the available supply of Silk? Crafting Ascended or other items that require Silk does not effect the supply? How exactly does Anet control those player decisions?

EDITED Going to break this down since I know keeping it simple will cause more yadayada.

No, upgrading Silk to Gossamer, building Ascended armor, etc. does NOT affect the supply of silk (if we factor out things like more people farming etc.). It does NOT increase the amount of silk entering the market (THIS is the supply). It does affect the amount of silk available in the market (this is NOT the supply.). Doing all those things you mentioned increases the DEMAND for silk, which moves the supply-demand curve resulting in higher prices and more silk used until a new balance is found.

Listing material on the TP directly effects the available supply and a limit of a 250 stack does NOT limit what I can sell (or buy) it just makes it more time consuming (not saying it is not a FACTOR in a players decision, but it does NOT stop them one way or another).

So i’ts not a factor but then it is? I’m not sure where you are going with this. Are we going to start arguing in terms of black and white now? You’re even saying yourself it affects their decision. Take a step back, take a deep breath, then reread what you wrote.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

in Crafting

Cyninja.2954

Ok, maybe this one was worded wrong as the drop chance obviously plays a major factor here but it is not the only factor. My point on this was that if I farm Silk for 30 minutes or farm silk for 30 hours does change the supply of Silk in the game (not by much, overall). What if 100,000 players all farm Silk for 30 hours? Your implication is that Anet’s code would somehow alter the drop rates, salvage rates and loot bag rates so that the current supply of Silk would not be increased significantly? THAT is the part of your tin-foil hat theory that I don’t buy …. at all.

I HAVE never not agreed with the point that all these crazy theories about code manipulation are technically possible (I’m sure they are), but you making wild claims that it is actively how the game works with NO evidence is pure tin-foil hat conspiracy theory BS.

The only implication I’ve made so far is that anet can change the game so that the amount of silk gained by those 100,000 people farming for 30 minutes or 30 hours is to their liking. No one up until now in this thread was arguing them having some kind of code reducing farm or being out for real time reduce drops for players. That was never the issue.

But since you brought this up, read this:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Anti-farm_code

It’s exactly what you were talking about implemented in guild wars 1. Same company, different game. If they wanted to, they could.

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

There are so many things in you post that are just wrong (Promoting Silk does not effect available supply……REALLY? It does not destroy material and remove it from being available to anyone in the game?) and just flat out back-peddling of your claims of DIRECT manipulation (if DIRECT does not imply REAL-TIME I don’t think you understand what DIRECT means), I’m done with this waste of time discussion.

I think a lot of this is just a semantics argument of the term DIRECT. You seem to think that ANY tiny effect ANet makes to the game that may in some way influence a player is DIRECT control….I do not.

in Crafting

Cyninja.2954

There are so many things in you post that are just wrong (Promoting Silk does not effect available supply……REALLY? It does not destroy material and remove it from being available to anyone in the game?) and just flat out back-peddling of your claims of DIRECT manipulation (if DIRECT does not imply REAL-TIME I don’t think you understand what DIRECT means), I’m done with this waste of time discussion.

I think a lot of this is just a semantics argument of the term DIRECT. You seem to think that ANY tiny effect ANet makes to the game that may in some way influence a player is DIRECT control….I do not.

Example A.) (what we had pre patch)
-> 50,000 silk are introduced into the market per measure of time X. (supply side of the graph)
-> less than 50,000 silk are demanded per measure of time X. abundance of silk supply gets stocked in the market adding to the market supply (yes, this is also called supply, but it’s not the type of supply that will mid- or long-term affect pricing.)

Result:
-> price drops, using silk becomes more interesting, demand increases. equilibrium sets in at a lower price

This was the case pre patch. Price bottomed out at 8c per silk (and would have dropped further if that wasn’t the minimum on the TP).

Example B.) (what we had the last couple of days)
-> 50,000 silk are introduced into the market per measure of time X.
-> demand increases for silk over 50,000 per measure of time X
Result:
-> the supply on the market reduces by demand-50,000 until there is no more supply in the market (stored and fresh influx)
-> price for silk increases -> demand for silk reduces due to higher cost
-> new equalibrium is found at a higher price where supply meets demand

Example C.) (what we might have now or will have in the near future)
-> 50,000 silk are introduced into the market per measure of time X.
-> demand remains at 50,000 silk per measure of time X having been forced lower due to higher pricing

Result:
→the price remains stable

Notice how the supply of silk into the market DOES NOT CHANGE. Removing supply from the market reduces the market available silk, it does not affect the supply provided by suppliers though. Yes both are called supply, but only 1 of those 2 is of interest in the long run.

I’m done with economics 101. Wasted enough time feeding a troll.

in Crafting

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

OK, if I understand correctly. They made that you need more silk to produce the same stuff as their medium and heavy armor counterparts simply to diminish the supply of silk?

If yes, how kittenING SILLY is that? I mean what the hell?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Crafting

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

OK, if I understand correctly. They made that you need more silk to produce the same stuff as their medium and heavy armor counterparts simply to diminish the supply of silk?

To help balance the economy, Im very happy with alot of the changes to help this, its is taking a very long time, but you can’t do it over night.

Also Silk is a t5, and all t5s are around 1.5-2s on tp, this should be the same.

2nd, you can get a stack of silk in 1 day easy, Ive had days where I got 2 stacks, doing 1 30+ fractal normally gives me 80+ silk, 4-5 dungeon runs I get 50-100 silk (depended on the dungeons, I get more for AC compare to CoF).

Every couple days or so I do, AC1-3, TA:Up/F, SE:1/3, CoF:1/2, Hotw:1, CoE:1-3 and Arah:3 I get well over a stack and close to 2 stacks when doing those, plus about 24g, yes it takes 5 hours, but thats a very good 5 hours for what I get.

I saved my silk for about a month and i had 30+ stack, I just sold 20 stacks a week before the patch and Ive made 10+ stacks in that week (doing extra sungeons for gold to get ready for 500 crafting).

I know a lot of players dont do that, but you dont have to do it daily, its just an option, I mean If everyone tried to make a exotic daily they will slowly run out of supply too.

SAB or RIOT

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

My guess would be that a big portion of the silk that was available pre patch got used to promote into gossamer.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

No, it does not decrease the supply of silk. It increases the demand for silk, which effectively achieves the same result, i.e., increase in equilibrium price, which I think for a tier 5 mat, should be around 80c-1s.

Also if anyone who crafted before could look at all tiers and deduces by pattern that light armor requires more of the same tier cloth material than medium and heavy and stock up these silks in hundred of thousands when millions of them were sold at vendor price +1c.

For me I’ve stocked up enough of all tier2-5 mats enough to make 600 bolts of damask, (about 180,000 silk scrap) enough for 21 of my characters so I won’t be affected by the increase in price.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

For me I’ve stocked up enough of all tier2-5 mats enough to make 600 bolts of damask, (about 180,000 silk scrap) enough for 21 of my characters so I won’t be affected by the increase in price.

All will be crafted in… more than a year and half. Happy clicking

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Crafting

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Look at the price of linen scraps, lol.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in Crafting

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Also Silk is a t5, and all t5s are around 1.5-2s on tp, this should be the same.

Why? When the supply of silk is naturally greater?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Crafting

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

It’s a bit kitten that so much silk is needed and last time I checked this evening silk scraps were up to 87c a piece. It’s all getting rather expensive and it’s made extra frustrating due to the time-gated constraints. If you don’t cough up the gold now, you miss out on your daily silk weaving crafting and set yourself back on your journey to craft a full set of ascended armour. Light armour classes are really getting the shaft at the moment.

Maybe reduce the ecto refine recipe to 50 bolts of silk…

Gandara

in Crafting

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

My guess would be that a big portion of the silk that was available pre patch got used to promote into gossamer.

I know a lot of silk was used for this pre-patch. I bought probably 50k-70k scraps if not more and converted it all to gossamer in the days leading up to the patch and I could not have been the only one doing it.

Maybe reduce the ecto refine recipe to 50 bolts of silk…

It’s too late for that now. Can you imagine the QQing on the forum of all the people who already made a ton of Damask at 100 bolts per?

Personally, I think the price of silk rising is a good thing in the long run as long as it doesn’t get crazy high. Plus, most of this price increase is the initial surge of people trying to craft their first set. Give it 4-5 weeks and the price will settle. The more concerning thing is Linen at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

To help balance the economy, Im very happy with alot of the changes to help this, its is taking a very long time, but you can’t do it over night.

2nd, you can get a stack of silk in 1 day easy, Ive had days where I got 2 stacks, doing 1 30+ fractal normally gives me 80+ silk, 4-5 dungeon runs I get 50-100 silk (depended on the dungeons, I get more for AC compare to CoF).

Every couple days or so I do, AC1-3, TA:Up/F, SE:1/3, CoF:1/2, Hotw:1, CoE:1-3 and Arah:3 I get well over a stack and close to 2 stacks when doing those, plus about 24g, yes it takes 5 hours, but thats a very good 5 hours for what I get.

I saved my silk for about a month and i had 30+ stack, I just sold 20 stacks a week before the patch and Ive made 10+ stacks in that week (doing extra sungeons for gold to get ready for 500 crafting).

I know a lot of players dont do that, but you dont have to do it daily, its just an option, I mean If everyone tried to make a exotic daily they will slowly run out of supply too.

What the hell are you talking about? Mithril and Elder wood are like 30 copper, while Thick leather is vendor price.

Also your daily playtime amounts to more than most people’s weekly…

in Crafting

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Actually they all will be crafted in less than 200 days, which is just slightly less than 7 months. Produce 3 damasks per day instead of 1.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dina Van Heyr.3018

Dina Van Heyr.3018

well silk scraps hit 1.3s and silk bolt 5s and price is rising

in Crafting

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Actually they all will be crafted in less than 200 days, which is just slightly less than 7 months. Produce 3 damasks per day instead of 1.

If you have 3 accounts… the timer is account bound and not character or crafting profession bound.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Crafting

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

I’m failing to see the issue here.

Right now it costs me roughly 2 and a half gold to buy the requisite silk I need in order to craft up one piece of Silk Weaving Thread. That means that, if I want to break even, I need to kill a whopping four world bosses in order to get enough Rare junk to sell back to the AH to make up the price difference (saying nothing about all the other stuff I’ll get inbetween).

That’s about 45 minutes of farming, and that’s if I decide to do a World Boss. I could also just turn around and do a quick farming run of Orichalcum and Ancient Wood and make up the price difference that way.

Or if I REALLY want to make the money back fast, I’ll go to Frostgorge, turn on Netflix, and farm Champs for an hour and than roll around in my recently acquired wealth.

So..Yeah. Not seeing the issue here what so ever. Now if it was costing me upwards of 5-6 gold for 100 bolts to make a single spool, I would see the complaints. But two gold is easily made up for in an hour’s worth of farming, less if you happen to prefer running dungeons.

in Crafting

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I’m failing to see the issue here.

Right now it costs me roughly 2 and a half gold to buy the requisite silk I need in order to craft up one piece of Silk Weaving Thread. That means that, if I want to break even, I need to kill a whopping four world bosses in order to get enough Rare junk to sell back to the AH to make up the price difference (saying nothing about all the other stuff I’ll get inbetween).

That’s about 45 minutes of farming, and that’s if I decide to do a World Boss. I could also just turn around and do a quick farming run of Orichalcum and Ancient Wood and make up the price difference that way.

Or if I REALLY want to make the money back fast, I’ll go to Frostgorge, turn on Netflix, and farm Champs for an hour and than roll around in my recently acquired wealth.

So..Yeah. Not seeing the issue here what so ever. Now if it was costing me upwards of 5-6 gold for 100 bolts to make a single spool, I would see the complaints. But two gold is easily made up for in an hour’s worth of farming, less if you happen to prefer running dungeons.

The part you are missing is that self crafters are still no where near being able to make their full sets, still weeks out, and many if not all of those are running low on silk. If they want to keep refining they have to keep buying or farming. As more and more people reach this “silk starved” point the cost will go up and up until people who don’t believe it makes sense to farm an hour to craft one component of one bolt of damask.

They overshot the mark on quantity, and it will become painfully apparent over the next few weeks as the price continues to go up. Eventually it will even out as people stop making the armor, and the power players finish up their sets and get out of the market. Not to mention all the people who will just give up for the time being. That is many weeks away still.

Lets not even look at poor linen, something incredibly difficult to farm.

We just hit the point I expected we would where the bolt of Damask has started to go BACK UP in price, rather than down. The people who thought it would end up around 5 gold, must have meant sometime next year, because I see it easily making it back up over 15 gold in 2 weeks, as people get close enough to build all their armor, and just say nuts to it, and buy the rest of the bolts.

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

Now if it was costing me upwards of 5-6 gold for 100 bolts to make a single spool, I would see the complaints.

Funny you mention that

well silk scraps hit 1.3s and silk bolt 5s and price is rising

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

Posted by: Grump.7069

Grump.7069

Plus after the first 30 days when everyone has their armor the demand will fall pretty fast and prices will drop further.

What “everyone”? You are aware, that even now, number of people still crafting ascended weapons is likely still greater than those that are done with it? I’m pretty sure than a month from now number of people that are done with armor will still be only a small minority. And that’s even when we ignore people that are not interested in ascended at all, and count only those actually crafting.

The people who haven’t crafted an ascended weapon at this point most likely won’t craft one EVER. Reason is quite simple, the cost of it isn’t worth the added value the weapon gives. Why bother to pay over 150g for a weapon that adds like 5-7% effectiveness? If you say high level fractals, i’d just answer back with : they already got theirs, whether they crafted it or got it as loot from their fractals.

Many people are gonna be skipping ascended armor as well, for the same reasons, there’s no point wasting so much coin on a tiny advantage. Most players don’t waste countless hours into this game to handle such a massive grind.

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

^I am a hardcore player with 4500+ hours /age. But I am skipping ascended weapons and armors because they arent worth the effort in my eyes. Stat increase is tiny and looks arent my taste. If I get one as a drop, otherwise no thanks. I rather save my mats for upcoming legendary items.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Yes, it’s an obvious and huge error.

First of all, the change to refinement to make it require 2 to 3 was an error. Second, asking 100 bolts per each damask was an error, too, when all the other ascended refinements require only 50.

Each piece of damask should have required 100 silk scraps, but they changed it to 300. And now the market is mad.

Silk is never going to hit 3s per scrap. The price of silk will rise from it’s measly 15c price. That was the plan, and I agree with that plan. There is no problem with the silk market.

I’m laughing: http://www.gw2tp.com/item/19747-bolt-of-silk

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Crafting

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

The price has skyrocketed way too much, 4G plus for the basic ascended silk is too much. I believe numbers went out of control for Anet and they need a fix, otherwise they simple dont want us poor non gold grinders to make ascended armor

in Crafting

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Look at the price of linen scraps, lol.

Its a T4 mat .. so it should cost 6s at least

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Crafting

Posted by: darkvise.3197

darkvise.3197

Yuppie
Silk 1.75 ( 1.80 2 minutes ago)
Gossamer 2.43

This market is so healthy, and please speculators and unreasonable people keep saying that it’s okay
Thanks to all and happy Wintersdays

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

The guys who paid up front for Bolts of Damask might yet have the last laugh.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Crafting

cranked.3812

Absolutely not. Damask will come down in price along with silk and linen when people finish up their first set of armor. Your statement is that of overreaction just like everyone else freaking out because material prices are high right now.

in Crafting

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

Absolutely not. Damask will come down in price along with silk and linen when people finish up their first set of armor. Your statement is that of overreaction just like everyone else freaking out because material prices are high right now.

Damask is going down, linen and silk up and they will continue to rise. Nobody is overreacting – it’s pretty obvious that anet made mistake.

in Crafting

cranked.3812

Damask is going down, linen and silk up and they will continue to rise. Nobody is overreacting – it’s pretty obvious that anet made mistake.

Most of you are overacting. Damask won’t really go down in price as long as the mats continue to rise so much.

There was a first wave of people who crafted damask and then bought the rest off the TP to finish their sets. The next wave of people, the one we are in now, are still crafting their set day by day leaving no surplus and using all the mats.

After everyone finishes crafting their first set (36 days from the patch), people will either stop crafting damask all together and the prices of the mats will go down and so will damask with it. OR people will still craft damask and sell it on the TP, undercutting each other until it sells for cheap on the TP. Either way, once the large part of the population who is crafting their first set is done, prices will fall and supply will overshadow demand again, driving prices down. You can’t say anet made a mistake 2 weeks after the patch when demand is still largely outstripping supply.

It’s been two weeks since patch. Most people aren’t even done crafting a set yet. Give it some time. In two months if prices aren’t falling, come back and complain.

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Bolt of Damask is going down? Really?

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/46741

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Crafting

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

Most of you are overacting. Damask won’t really go down in price as long as the mats continue to rise so much.

There was a first wave of people who crafted damask and then bought the rest off the TP to finish their sets. The next wave of people, the one we are in now, are still crafting their set day by day leaving no surplus and using all the mats.

After everyone finishes crafting their first set (36 days from the patch), people will either stop crafting damask all together and the prices of the mats will go down and so will damask with it. OR people will still craft damask and sell it on the TP, undercutting each other until it sells for cheap on the TP. Either way, once the large part of the population who is crafting their first set is done, prices will fall and supply will overshadow demand again, driving prices down. You can’t say anet made a mistake 2 weeks after the patch when demand is still largely outstripping supply.

It’s been two weeks since patch. Most people aren’t even done crafting a set yet. Give it some time. In two months if prices aren’t falling, come back and complain.

Yes ppl are not done with crafting yet, but you know what is funny ? That i know a lot of ppl who want to wait till praices will drop to finish their crafting … You simply need too much silk to craft your set, so i dont cant see prices drop in near future.

And honestly I consider it total BS how much light armor set costs compared to medium and heavy, it is simply unfair to 1/3 players. And waiting till market corrects itself, which can take a lot of time, is imo unacceptable – why should we who have chosen light armor classes be drained from gold, while our friends who play medium or heavy armor classes have their ascended armor for fraction of cost ?

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

People will never be done crafting unless even better stuff comes. Most people I know didnt even start crafting ascended yet to see how prices develop

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

After everyone finishes crafting their first set (36 days from the patch), people will either stop crafting damask all together and the prices of the mats will go down and so will damask with it.

Ha ha ha. There’s not enough silk supply to allow for everyone that does ascended crafting to craft damask daily. There’s not even enough supply for 1/10th of that – and that already would make 36 days into a full year.

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

Re-posting this because silk is an armor wide demand issue.

I’m not sure the price of silk is going to drop anytime in the foreseeable future .
Tailoring is double the amount total, but you are talking about 5400 silk scrap for everyone who wants heavy, medium and light armor in insignia alone. For a full set leather is 7200 silk scrap and it’s the lowest.

The 100 silk bolts for damask is just too high. I’d change damask in heavy to elonian for the components at lest to offload some of the silk stress. Then when it’s still to high change the 100 bolts of silk for damask to 50 or 75.

in Crafting

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

While we are at it: Is it just me or is cloth armor really dropping much less than ore and leather armor? I kind of got at least twice as much leather and ore from my champ train run today…

Polka will never die

in Crafting

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

While we are at it: Is it just me or is cloth armor really dropping much less than ore and leather armor? I kind of got at least twice as much leather and ore from my champ train run today…

I have the same feeling that i much more often see Ori or Ancient Wood than Gossamer when salvaging stuff.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.