How to start a "Legendary"

in Crafting

Posted by: Cruces.3280

Cruces.3280

I would like to make the legendary weapon, Quip the pistol.
Problem is I don’t know where to start.
First, do I need to have specific professions maxed out, or can guild mates help?
Also, the best place to start for gathering materials.
I’m not sure what’s needed and what is the easiest/hardest to get.

I guess i’m just looking for a starting point

in Crafting

Posted by: nightly.2761

nightly.2761

i havent started my legendary yet but i read alot bout it. best is to start with farming to make all 77 clovers. the recipe of clovers will give you a nice ammount of t6 mats if it doesnt give you clovers. this helps you reduce the time to farm for the remaining t6 mats. after that i would go for t6 and badges of honor (by killing or faster with the JP’s) farming 1 months without doing something else gets boring and since you need alot more stuff done you better switch lill between those to keep things fun (not my own experience but i can understand what most people told about getting it done)

also get 100% map completion be4 starting to go all out on farming since mapping gives nice rewards too that’ll help in the end:)

dont ask me bout specific parts of the legendary cuz i dont know everything bout them but look here and see how many things you can combine to do at same time: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quip

hope this helped

in Crafting

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Always start with the clovers and 100% world.

Then it’s smooth sailing until the kittening precursor.

in Crafting

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Learn how to play the trading post. Unfortunately this is by far (leaps and bounds) the most effective way to get a legendary. Once you understand it and set the tp know how into motion, then work on map completion, badges, and gaining karma. If your knowledge of the trading post is sufficient, it’ll work for you “behind the scenes” while you do the pieces that one actually needs to play content for.

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Crafting

Posted by: Morrar.1764

Morrar.1764

First consider the precursor; which price is it at now and can you buy it right away?

If the answer is no, are you willing to farm for it? This includes asking yourself if you are willing to spend hours on the Trading Post (best way to make money) or running dungeons like COF path 1 a few hundreds of times. You’ll have to stay ahead of the curve and farm faster than the price increases on the precursor (Quip isn’t too popular, so that’s a good thing).

If not, ask yourself if you have the nerves to battle the terrible RNG of the mystic forge. It could literally take hundreds of tries with rare pistols, but you could get lucky and get it on the first go.

If you dislike either of the above, forget a legendary and just enjoy the game. As it stands now, the precursor is the only barrier to getting a legendary and it involves either grinding money or insane RNG.

The rest of the legendary is peanuts to get in comparison, just get a shopping list from the wiki page on Quip. Lodestones maybe somewhat of a grind, but at least you can steadily work towards getting them. Clovers is kinda bad too, but also allow you to gradually progress and provide you with T6 materials.

(edited by Morrar.1764)

in Crafting

Posted by: Cruces.3280

Cruces.3280

are "clovers’ a drop?
and what is “the precursor”?

(edited by Cruces.3280)

in Crafting

Posted by: Agrios.1957

Agrios.1957

are "clovers’ a drop?
and what is “the precursor”?

1. No.
2. Precursor is the base weapon to make a legendary. Its the most irritating/expensive part of the recipe.

in Crafting

Posted by: Direngrey.8376

Direngrey.8376

Don’t listen to some of these players.

Mystic Clovers are for sure what you’re wanting to start first.

Everything is straight forward except for the precursor as most would say it is kittening irritating to get.

in Crafting

Posted by: Proxcel.2596

Proxcel.2596

before u start look at the list of stuffs u need
there might be some spread sheet out there that can help u track.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quip

first thing is get ur main character 100% world compete
and get ur 200skill points bloodstone shard.

mystic clovers
-save ur karma jags do your daily/monthly ( you need 1 million karma)
-also at least another 139 skill points for gambling in mystic forge
-glob of ecto (u can buy or salvage rare lv68+)

dungeon tokens 500 (Gift of the Nobleman)
-play CM dungeon play maybe 1 path/day and get it done depends if u can find group.

gift of battle
-do jumping puzzles daily if u don’t play wvw

rest is just farming gold or farm the items directly

Chaos Gun (precursor) well its precursor….. so everybody has problem with this…
so farm gold to buy it i guess.

(edited by Proxcel.2596)

in Crafting

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

First off, make sure you’re doing your dailies and monthlies. Those give you the mystic coins you’ll need for the clover recipes. You can also buy these on the TP, and yes, they’re not that expensive anymore.

Start with clovers and map completion. The best way to get ectos is to farm CoF or the world bosses. I prefer CoF because it’s a guaranteed 1g ish plus 60 tokens, which equals 2 rares from the token vendor. Whereas a dragon event only guarantees one rare.
If you farm CoF for ectos, you’ll also be making gold to buy more ectos or coins, or to save up for things like t6 materials.

My main advice is to start saving up ectos, Obsidian shards, and coins while working on map completion. It’s better, imo, to just make a big go at clovers when you have a large amount of the items you need for the recipes. It’s a little less disheartening to get 77 out of 200 tries than 1 out of 10 tries.

The first thing I did for my legendary was buy the bloodstone shard from melani. It’s 200 skillpoints, so doing that can really hinder your ability to make clovers unless you have a TON of them. I had multiple chars to make clovers on, so I never ran out, but I’m not sure if I’d advise doing it that way.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

in Crafting

Posted by: Sinergy.6374

Sinergy.6374

Ide start with the precursor first. Then world completion. Then clovers. Gifts for the weapon. All while doing the EB jump puzzle for badges. Salvage rares for the ectos as you go and save up for your icy runestones. By the time you have everything you will also gained enough karma for the gift of mastery. I messed up and am now sitting with gifts of bifrost, gift of fortune, and gift of mastery, and no precursor.

in Crafting

Heylo.4938

Also, if your gift needs Ori, which I’m fairly sure it does, make sure to be doing daily ori runs. If you get all the nodes, 2 in frostgorge, 2 in southsun, 5 in CS, and 5 in ML, you can get 42 ori ore a day, at least.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

OP, I hope you realize just how time consuming a legendary can get if you are not dedicated. Don’t expect to get it in a month.

As of today, the Quip will cost you 902G, which is a low-mid priced legendary

http://gw2legendary.com/

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Crafting

Posted by: MrHaze.3690

MrHaze.3690

Also, if your gift needs Ori, which I’m fairly sure it does, make sure to be doing daily ori runs. If you get all the nodes, 2 in frostgorge, 2 in southsun, 5 in CS, and 5 in ML, you can get 42 ori ore a day, at least.

Between guesting and http://gw2nodes.com/ , any ori/ancient wood needed goes pretty fast.

Godhead Priest Endexa
Necromancer
Anvil’s Last Stand [ALS]

in Crafting

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

Start with the precursor. Mystic gloves are dirt easy compared to the precursor. Grind out the money, get that precursor and it’s smooth sailing from there.

Skullclamp

in Crafting

Heylo.4938

Between guesting and http://gw2nodes.com/ , any ori/ancient wood needed goes pretty fast.

Yeah, I got my 500 ingots in about a week of lazy farming with my 5 80s. The only thing that was hard was having to map it myself, because no one on Ehmry apparently likes to either mark it on the map or find it.
I don’t know how many level 70+ chars he has, so for someone who doesn’t have that many, it might be something to keep in mind and start doing somewhat regularly. I hated having to run ori 5+ times a day. It’s mind numbing and tedious.

in Crafting

Iehova.9518

Don’t start with the precursor, you’ll then realize you’re 3 gifts short.

Clovers first, always.

in Crafting

Vol.5241

It’s mentally easier if you start off with the precursor.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Crafting

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Start out with the precursor first. As you are farming and saving money for the precursor, you are still getting mats for everything esle you need. Then start on mystic clover, lodestone and finally icy runestones. The players that are having issues with the legendary are the ones that only have the precursor to farm for.

When money is the only thing left to farm for you get dishearten. When you are farming for the precursor first you are still making progress with the other mats you need for the legendary. All of the players I know of that have not completed their legendary gave up when they realize then need 400-600g for a precursor. The precursor is 1/3 of the cost for the most popular legendaries.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in Crafting

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

Always go for the precursor first. I have done both ways of getting a legendary and having the pre as first part is way more relaxing than having it in your head all the time.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

(edited by Zumy.6318)

in Crafting

Posted by: Nachtz.4930

Nachtz.4930

I went for the precursor first, because I think it’s the most relaxing way to obtain a legendary. If you do that, you won’t belong the people who are crying everyday because thay farmed everything for their legendary but still miss the precursor. Once you got it first, the road seems far easier…

in Crafting

Iehova.9518

Here comes the 3-gift no-precursor babby train advising you (against better judgment) to go precursor first.

(edited by Iehova.9518)

in Crafting

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

Here comes the 3-gift no-precursor babby train.

This. :-D

/15charactersarewaytomanyformeaninglesspostings.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

in Crafting

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I got precursor first. Once you have it, you know the only thing stopping you from completing is work and time.

A few other things – eg farming for precursor and making clovers, and world completion, will generate lots of mats which you will need for leveling crafts for gifts, and also the T6 mats you will need directly. So it makes sense to do those early, to mimimize cost later.

Good luck.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

in Crafting

Vol.5241

Whatever you do, do not farm lodestones or t6 mats directly.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Crafting

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

Whatever you do, do not farm lodestones or t6 mats directly.

^This. There are a million more efficient ways to get these than farming them directly. Doing so is a recipe for /wrists and woe.

If you get some while doing other parts of the Legendary it’s all good, but don’t try to farm them all.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

in Crafting

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

WvW map completion.

Depending of how your server is doing, that could potentially be one of the more difficult parts to achieve.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”