Is it worth it to level professions with my character?

in Crafting

Posted by: Bytor.3826

Bytor.3826

I found crafting to be alot more tedious in this game than in other MMOs that I’ve played. I’m playing a Norn Warrior with armorsmithing and weapon smithing as my crafting skills, and by the time I was done with the Wayfarer Foothills, both skills were only at about 20.

I stuck around in the zone for about 2 hours farming after that, and got both to about 35-40, when my progress came to almost a complete stop.

Not really wanting to waste my evening farming ore, I moved onto Snowden Drifts, where I was mining ore and collecting wood I was quite a long ways away from using.

I am now at level 25, and ready to move on to the next zone, with my professions still parked at 40.

Is this type of difficulty with crafting common? If not what am I doing wrong? Any pointers?

If so, do you have any tips for me to help me level my crafting skills faster? Or should I just forget about it for now and do it at a later level?

This is my signature. Marvel at its brilliance!

(edited by Bytor.3826)

in Crafting

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It just depends on the profession and how much you go for those mats. Personally I attack every single herb/tree/lump of metal while I’m leveling as well as go for them if I see them sort of chained together. Some of the other materials can become a problem if you aren’t repeating dynamic events that involve the mobs that drop them (such as scales etc. when you start to need 8 of those to craft one item).

Do your best to discover as many new recipes as you can, that will give by far the most xp.

Professions that involve metal tend to be easier vs. leatherworking/tailoring (where you can’t even farm from nodes… forcing you to salvage every single cloth/leather item you find to give you enough mats… and even then you may not have enough without further farming).

If you wait until later, you’ll probably be waiting until 80 to go back… and then you won’t be getting that boost in XP. Since you’re still pretty low level I would go back and just hunt for what you need and in the future just try to watch out for every node and repeat those things that have you killing the mobs which drop scales etc. once. Another option would be just to buy whatever you need to catch up with since the low level mats tend to be pretty inexpensive.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Crafting

Posted by: Shwesh.3159

Shwesh.3159

Actually gathering mats for crafting is absurd. Its not worth the extra 10 hrs per 25 lvls it would take. i’m 400/400 Jc/AS and was really easy. just buy mats off TP. yea its expensive but there are guides that show you the cheapest way. spending your time gathering mats is a waste of time, it is better and ALOT faster to farm gold (method of your choice) and buy them. i mean its not a bad idea to save your crafting mats that you will use as you progress through the game, but going out of your way to stay in an area to gather will cost you more gold in the time spent than you will save from not buying off the TP. bottom line dont gather your mats.