Legendary Precurser MF Odds

in Crafting

Posted by: Master Bojangles.5183

Master Bojangles.5183

I know there are a few posts on this topic but none seem to give a direct number of attempts. I’ve viewed a few videos on youtube of people dropping 1500+ rares into the MF and not getting a precurser. I’ve had the three gifts, Gift of Mastery, Gift of Fortune and Gift of Twilight for about a month now. After obtaining the three gifts I set out to get my precurser.

I had already been fairly consistent at doing the JP in EB and the dragon events to try and get lucky at a chest before I finished my gifts but now that they were finished I decided to try the mystic forge.

I started out using rares that I crafted since I could do so for about 20s a rare. I started with crafting in batches of 100 rare great swords to keep track. It would cost me about 28g per 100 and I would get about 4-6 exotics back that on average I could sell for 10g. So far I have put 1700 rare great swords in the forge and have yet to obtain a precurser. Total cost so fare is (1700 × .20silver) * 65% = 221 gold where .20 silver is the the cost per rare crafted and .65% is the total expense since I would retain about 35% on selling any exotics obtained. Currently Dusk is over 600 gold on the trader and I feel I could never obtain that much gold, but seeing the cost in gambling on the mystic forge I see why it’s so ridiculously priced.

At this point my gaming experience has been logging in, playing the trading post to recoup my previous days losses and then buying matts and forging 100 swords and throwing them in the forge. I’ve been doing this for 4 weeks now and only have a bitter taste left of the game. I’ve played GW 1 for 7 years since prophecies was first released and loved the game. I was involved in the betas for GW2 and waited years for this release and love this game greatly. I wanted to be among the hardcore players that have obtained legendaries since I had planned on playing this game for a long time. At this point it doesn’t’ feel legendary anymore but like I’m throwing away money on a lottery ticket and losing every night. I’ve had hopes for fixes such as the scavenger hunt and have waited patiently without posting any complaints until now.

The scavenger hunt seems to be way out and even though they stated they would add more attempts to obtain precursers in the jan, feb and march patches and we would hear about it in the blog, there was no information about it in the blog. I have now lost hope in obtaining my legendary any time soon ankittenaking a break from the game. Maybe I’ll come back in the future when I’ve had time to recover from this. But it seems that even though people are willing to put in the effort to grind out the gifts for a legendary, it simply comes down to are you lucky enough to obtain a precurser. I don’t think that is the proper approach for obtaining a legendary.

If anyone that has obtained a precurser through multiple attempts, and not just getting luck on the first time you threw in 4 random rares please share how many total items you tossed in, and whether you went with exotics or rares. Maybe if I see a light at the end of the tunnel I may be willing to continue my attempts.

(edited by Master Bojangles.5183)

in Crafting

Posted by: War Chief.5347

War Chief.5347

Btw can you get named exotics from the mystic forge like infinite light or foefires essence?

in Crafting

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Exactly this.

Long time ex-GW1 player and, even though I love this game I cannot see myself playing it for much longer. TP flipping? If I wanted to play a trade simulator I would have bought one.

The 180 they pulled on the scavenger hunt and all the other precursor related statements really left a bad taste. I am truly disappoint.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

well i guess thats what happens when you focus on 1 single thing in a game instead of having the often mentioned “fun”.
If you reply that doing all the content over and over with your guild and friends for that ominous “fun”-thing is not for you, then you might consider mmo’s are not your kind of games.
there will be more and different things to do over and over again with your guild and friends in the future – a lot of them. will you still be standing at the MF and curse rng as if you wouldnt have known that “random” means it can take you years to obtain a precursor? I dont get it, honestly, i would consider the journey you describe as “a lot of wasted time”. I wouldnt even log into a game for one second, to do something i dont like/find “fun”.

Every complain about not having a legendary yet while others do are related to one issue for me: you miss the gear progression of other games. what does that tell you?

in Crafting

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

it has actually been confirmed somewhere (don’t know exactly where, but i started doing it because of the dev post) that you have more chance trowing different rare’s into the forge, i’ve had 2 dawns by trowing different swords in (and with different, i mean for example: orian greatsword, krait slayer, norn shaman greatsword and crafted greatsword. this way the exotic rate is also allot higher)
Btw the dawns i made around the karka event, trowing no more then 300 swords in to get 2.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

in Crafting

Posted by: Tup.1803

Tup.1803

Exactly this.

Long time ex-GW1 player and, even though I love this game I cannot see myself playing it for much longer. TP flipping? If I wanted to play a trade simulator I would have bought one.

The 180 they pulled on the scavenger hunt and all the other precursor related statements really left a bad taste. I am truly disappoint.

Can you elaborate on this statement. Last I heard they weren’t mentioning it again till April. Not to say it will be released then. Are you saying they said they will no longer be doing the Scavenger Hunt? If so could you provide a link? Thanks.

in Crafting

Fox.3469

Exactly this.

Can you elaborate on this statement. Last I heard they weren’t mentioning it again till April. Not to say it will be released then. Are you saying they said they will no longer be doing the Scavenger Hunt? If so could you provide a link? Thanks.

he was raising expectations, and then got his expectations blown, scavenger hunt will happen and was never confirmed to actually be in development already, and some people just look for stuff to disappoint themselves

in Crafting

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Lindsey stated that she was actively working on it.
Please try again.
Source

(edited by SadieDeAtreia.8912)

in Crafting

Fox.3469

Please try again.
Source

“I am definitely working on the precursor scavenger hunt, but like others have said, things like this take time and I want to get it right.”

If she still worried about getting it right (aka concept on how it will work) then it’s not something that is being implemented is it? She said they were still designing it, and Collin has just said the same, if you would just read the posts instead of the first line, you would actually know this is gonna take time.

in Crafting

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Please try again.
Source

“I am definitely working on the precursor scavenger hunt, but like others have said, things like this take time and I want to get it right.”

If she still worried about getting it right (aka concept on how it will work) then it’s not something that is being implemented is it? She said they were still designing it, and Collin has just said the same, if you would just read the posts instead of the first line, you would actually know this is gonna take time.

“I am definitely working on the precursor scavenger hunt” tells me that the person is, wait for it: definitely working on it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Nobody expected it to be in the next patch (November) but, two months down the line and now we hear that it is actually not currently being actively worked on, that it is still being conceptualized.

But, I digress.

Sorry for derailing your thread, OP.

in Crafting

Fox.3469

Please try again.
Source

“I am definitely working on the precursor scavenger hunt” tells me that the person is, wait for it: definitely working on it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Nobody expected it to be in the next patch (November) but, two months down the line and now we hear that it is actually not currently being actively worked on, that it is still being conceptualized.

But, I digress.

And collin just said that WORK is still in concept phase, as she did before, he only said they aren’t actively making it cause the concept isn’t finished yet. Concept is work you know, in fact it’s the biggest part of designing anything. And it is important to get this right without breaking the markets and crashing everything. There are more important things, since precursors only affect about 2-3% of game population. How bout you just leave if it’s that important to you, cause no one game item will make up how you feel now… Legendairy’s are just an item, and if you really can’t play the game without em, you won’t be able to do it with them. So save yourself some time and just lay it down.

in Crafting

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I think you have better luck putting in the exotics from what I have read. The rare route may be more expensive in the long run since you have to put more in. I personally just gave up for now lol and the game is so much more fun now.

Unless you just really think that skin is so amazing you will never want a different one it is not worth it. The post also mentions adding new legendaries I believe, so it could be in 6 months there is a skin that you like much better and will be that much closer to it instead of getting one that you kind of like now.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

BTW guys, you can also get precursors from small chests.

My chest runs consist of the SE puzzle in Southsun, and the east puzzle in LA. Both are very easy.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Crafting

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

I threw in approximately 140 rare greatswords over the course of a month (bought supplies/swords in 10 gold intervals). In one sitting I ended up getting a Dawn and Dusk about 5 minutes apart. RNG is RNG.

If you already have 3 of the gifts and all you need in the precursor, you might as well keep tossing them into the MF, you never know when you will hit the jackpot

in Crafting

Master Bojangles.5183

My post was mainly my experience in pursuing twilight and my opinion of how the three gifts are obtainablr by dedicated players and can even feel rewarding but become completely dissappointing when players realize that the final piece for the legendary is a lottery ticket. I played more than just grinding for the legendary. I am lvl 20 in fractals and have enjoyed WvW alot and world completion was great seeing everything in the game. I have over 700 hrs in game alread and want to roll and alt too when i have time. But afyer spending 3 months casually persuing an item i really wantex just to be told i wasnt lucky enough to get the random drop and need to spend more and more gold for more lottery tickets in the hopes of getti g lucky because any solution from anet keeps getting pushed off makes me bitter yes. I still want to play fractals and grt he back piece, play WvW and get more badges and get the soldier accessories so i can compete as a stronger guardian. I finished my karma gear so i have the armor look i wanted. My point is ive played alot and obtained everything i sought out to through skill and hours in gamr. But no matter how much more i play or better i get in WvW i will never obtain a precurser currently without hitti g the lottery and that is not a legendary feeling. The fact they are even sellable chapens the legendary feel as well. Its not an item of skill and dedication its an item of look how lucky/rich i am. I want it for the pure cosmetic feel of playing the game. I will still login every once in a while and throw in a few exotics in the hope of getting lucky, but yes three months of grinding and completing alot of the game has made me feel exhausted and in the need of a break. I toom breaks in gw1 all the time and still pursued items like obsidian armor and such over a long period, but even that showed progression.This isn progression anymore once you obtain 3 gifts like alot of players have done. It is purely a lottery.

P.s. sorry for typos on my phone.

(edited by Master Bojangles.5183)

in Crafting

Vol.5241

My post was mainly my experience in pursuing twilight and my opinion of how the three gifts are obtainablr by dedicated players and can even feel rewarding but become completely dissappointing when players realize that the final piece for the legendary is a lottery ticket. I played more than just grinding for the legendary. I am lvl 20 in fractals and have enjoyed WvW alot and world completion was great seeing everything in the game. I have over 700 hrs in game alread and want to roll and alt too when i have time. But afyer spending 3 months casually persuing an item i really wantex just to be told i wasnt lucky enough to get the random drop and need to spend more and more gold for more lottery tickets in the hopes of getti g lucky because any solution from anet keeps getting pushed off makes me bitter yes. I still want to play fractals and grt he back piece, play WvW and get more badges and get the soldier accessories so i can compete as a stronger guardian. I finished my karma gear so i have the armor look i wanted. My point is ive played alot and obtained everything i sought out to through skill and hours in gamr. But no matter how much more i play or better i get in WvW i will never obtain a precurser currently without hitti g the lottery and that is not a legendary feeling. The fact they are even sellable chapens the legendary feel as well. Its not an item of skill and dedication its an item of look how lucky/rich i am. I want it for the pure cosmetic feel of playing the game. I will still login every once in a while and throw in a few exotics in the hope of getting lucky, but yes three months of grinding and completing alot of the game has made me feel exhausted and in the need of a break. I toom breaks in gw1 all the time and still pursued items like obsidian armor and such over a long period, but even that showed progression.This isn progression anymore once you obtain 3 gifts like alot of players have done. It is purely a lottery.

P.s. sorry for typos on my phone.

Then don’t play the lottery. It’s all your fault that you decided to play the mystic forge when you had the option of buying it off the trading post.

Maybe if you used that argument on clovers, I’d understand.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Crafting

Master Bojangles.5183

Did you read what i posted? I spend 200g on the MF total playing the tp and selling the exotics to fund more. Dusk is 600g on the TP, if it was 200g of course i would have bought it, but its three times more than i can afford and would involve me playing the TP for another month which is more grinding in the TP window when i should be playing the game. Love how everyone says just buy it, thats the reason people are posting complaints, buying dusk is not an option unless you are extremely rich in game, the fact you think thats a viable option shows how little you know about the issue. Read the 1300 comment post on precursers at the top of this forum. There are hundreds of players that cant obtain a precurser since its a lottery or extremely rich purchase. Gee why dont i go buy a 50 ft yacht, oh yeah im not rich yet, let me go buy a lottery ticket. Thats the complaint either you’re rich or lucky. Obtaining a legendary should be based on skill and hours in game. Every other item even clovers are hours and skill. Get karma and ecto and forge and save up clovers. But there are no alternatives to precursers its lottery or be rich and neither are a viable option for 98% of the player base.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kenshin.6154

Kenshin.6154

I got my first precursor after about 1300 rare greatswords. For the first dawn, i have put 3 lvl 80 rare greatswords and a lvl 45 rare backpiece from CM and got it. I got another dawn the very next day by combining 4 lvl80 rare greatswords. Did about 1000 combines after that and still no dusk…

“Axios!”
Kenshin [Foo] ~ Piken Square
http://www.twitch.tv/pewpewkenshin

in Crafting

Vol.5241

Did you read what i posted? I spend 200g on the MF total playing the tp and selling the exotics to fund more. Dusk is 600g on the TP, if it was 200g of course i would have bought it, but its three times more than i can afford and would involve me playing the TP for another month which is more grinding in the TP window when i should be playing the game. Love how everyone says just buy it, thats the reason people are posting complaints, buying dusk is not an option unless you are extremely rich in game, the fact you think thats a viable option shows how little you know about the issue. Read the 1300 comment post on precursers at the top of this forum. There are hundreds of players that cant obtain a precurser since its a lottery or extremely rich purchase. Gee why dont i go buy a 50 ft yacht, oh yeah im not rich yet, let me go buy a lottery ticket. Thats the complaint either you’re rich or lucky. Obtaining a legendary should be based on skill and hours in game. Every other item even clovers are hours and skill. Get karma and ecto and forge and save up clovers. But there are no alternatives to precursers its lottery or be rich and neither are a viable option for 98% of the player base.

Actually I know since I already have my legendaries and I made one precursor purchase through hard work.

The fact that you want the legendary in just a month just shows you have the wrong thinking. This isn’t a short-term acquisition unless you work hard for it to be.

You can get 400-500g from hardcore farming in a week and a half. I know because I did it to purchase Dawn. You don’t want to hardcore farm? Fine, do some casual farming and you can get it in a month or two

Yes I’d love legendaries to be based on skill but that’s easily exploitable by certain classes or hacks. Yes, I’d love legendaries to be based on time, which is properly reflected in being able to do stuff in game like farm/play TP.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Crafting

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Please try again.
Source

Yeah, and then the boss showed up and driectly countermanded that statement, and then back pedaled from that statement leaving us with, in short, “people are thinking real hard about it, but we’re not having actual meetings yet”

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Crafting

Master Bojangles.5183

You are accomodating to thw situation, yes its possible to farm and obtain gold to buy the precurser from the TP. But that is not truely playong the game, its grinding for gold and buying something. Like every other part of creating the legendary you should be able to farm matts and craft. The issue is its a lottery to do that process and the post was to question how much of a lottery it truely is and that anet has repeatedly stated they are pursuing a fix but then keep retracting their statement and postponing any solution. Even anet said they are looking at precursers and that it shouldnt be as expensive as it currently elde otherwide they never would have mentioned a scavenger hunt. Good for you that you coyld grind the gold necessary in a week to spend 600g on an item. Sry i have a job and a family amd cant put that many hours in a single week. There are plenty more people working on legendaries that are unable to obtain a precurser than those few that have one already.

in Crafting

Posted by: Menotupid.8534

Menotupid.8534

I’ve played GW 1 for 7 years since prophecies was first released and loved the game.

For Someone who spent so much time in GW1 this should not seem that strange for you. Do you remember Elemental Swords? Chest Runs in EoTN? All the absolutely random and time consuming Chance on a Chest Dropping what I need? How long did it take you to get your Obsidian Armor farming ectos?

They made it craftable so you didn’t just have to wait around LFG for Chest Runs and all you can do is gripe because it’s not happening fast enough? Back off the legendary for a while and do something else. Come back to it when you’re not so angry about it. Supposed to be about fun I thought…

in Crafting

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

Love how everyone says just buy it, thats the reason people are posting complaints, buying dusk is not an option unless you are extremely rich in game, the fact you think thats a viable option shows how little you know about the issue. Read the 1300 comment post on precursers at the top of this forum. There are hundreds of players that cant obtain a precurser since its a lottery or extremely rich purchase.

If you can save up enough gold for the gift of mastery and twilight, then you can save up for Dusk (as it’s easily half the price of those two gifts).

If you can’t afford to lose money by gambling on the mystic forge, then stop doing that and save the gold. Yes the price is going up, but it’s not going up faster than you can offset it through casual playing. The buy order for Dusk 1 month ago was roughly 430g, today it’s roughly 470g. You can offset this increase over 30 days if you farm 1.3g per day. 2 level 80 characters doing mining/logging runs can net 3g in 30 minutes (and this is repeatable 2x or 3x a day). Not including doing 2-3 quick dungeon runs, or a fractal run. You can easily make 10-20g per day through these techniques, it’s not difficult. Again, if you can farm the materials/gold needed for the gift of twilight and fortune, then you can farm the money for Dusk.

Now get to it!

in Crafting

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

To OP. We all knew the risks, we all take them. That’s how gambling works but you and others sound seriously depressed over something that does not exist. I understand the time it takes to do legendaries (having attempted myself), but this is something that was intended to be done after playing the game for like 6+ months. Those other people got theirs through any combination of exploits, playing the TP, hardcore farming and luck but you can’t expect to win the lottery based on these success stories. This legendary system is a definite reflection of real life, i.e. buying stuff we don’t need and can’t afford or moaning about it. Anet said they’re going to make it easier to get precursors in the coming months, with the money you spent you could have forged multiple legendaries. Don’t quit the game because the odds are stacked against you, how different is that from life?

in Crafting

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Please try again.
Source

But, I digress.

And collin just said that WORK is still in concept phase, as she did before, he only said they aren’t actively making it cause the concept isn’t finished yet. Concept is work you know, in fact it’s the biggest part of designing anything. And it is important to get this right without breaking the markets and crashing everything. There are more important things, since precursors only affect about 2-3% of game population. How bout you just leave if it’s that important to you, cause no one game item will make up how you feel now… Legendairy’s are just an item, and if you really can’t play the game without em, you won’t be able to do it with them. So save yourself some time and just lay it down.

How about, I don’t leave, and I continue to post the truth on the forums for all to see?
You make up statistics as you type. You know nothing about what I can or cannot do in game or out. Don’t assume that you do. So, how about: you stop trolling?

in Crafting

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Colin stated that the new open world revamp would allow the ability to get precursors. He now came out a day ago and said no that isnt the case and that maybe just maybe there may be some way to possible fit a little rng thing into the revamp but dont expect anything at all @ precursors. Basically status quo as far as precursors go and why they even said that in first place really ticks me off.

They dont know what they are doing anymore.

The scav hunt is 6+months out far on the backburner so dont expect any help in any way shape or form.
So flip the TP, grind your events, and pray to the all mighty RNG god any maybe just maybe you will get lucky. That is the reality or what I think they want you to do is BUY GEMS →gold and buy your stuff.

in Crafting

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

Colin stated that the new open world revamp would allow the ability to get precursors. He now came out a day ago and said no that isnt the case and that maybe just maybe there may be some way to possible fit a little rng thing into the revamp but dont expect anything at all @ precursors. Basically status quo as far as precursors go and why they even said that in first place really ticks me off.

They dont know what they are doing anymore.

The scav hunt is 6+months out far on the backburner so dont expect any help in any way shape or form.
So flip the TP, grind your events, and pray to the all mighty RNG god any maybe just maybe you will get lucky. That is the reality or what I think they want you to do is BUY GEMS ->gold and buy your stuff.

Do you have a link for his last post where he was talking about RNG and such? I’m on the edge of my chair trying to follow his conversation.

Back on topic…I did a small mystic forge session with 32 axes and got 4 exotics which in the end, gave me a profit of about 2gold. On the other hand, awhile back I threw in 32 staves and recieved 0 exotics.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

in Crafting

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

hm i tried few variations of rares in forge, well best way to obtain exotics is from berserkers rares, i bought valkyrie 40x and got 1 exo while bought 40x berseker rare and got 6 exo. but i heard somewhere if you wanna precursor you must put pow vit tough rare gs’s because it give better chance to get it with same stat rares.

in Crafting

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

There is really nothing to compare here. RNG is RNG. I could throw 4 of the same great swords in and get Dusk where you can throw 4000 different great swords in and get nothing that is why RNG sucks! I personally leave nothing to chance. Farm farm farm if you get what you need for your legendary great! If not buy it with the gold you earn….easy!

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

in Crafting

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

after putting 3 rare focus and 1 armor I got a Dusk xD

http://i47.tinypic.com/35ataqe.jpg

in Crafting

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

after putting 4 different rare wpns i got Zap lol this is some freaky kitten.

(edited by Ragnarox.9601)

in Crafting

Posted by: dylanhamada.2761

dylanhamada.2761

All y’all wasting hours gambling away for a cosmetic skin – L2P.

Investing the number of hours you have in playing WvW instead will be much, much more rewarding. Find a good server and join a decent guild.

You are NOT playing this game to its fullest if your focus is farming for a legendary.

in Crafting

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

All y’all wasting hours gambling away for a cosmetic skin – L2P.

Investing the number of hours you have in playing WvW instead will be much, much more rewarding. Find a good server and join a decent guild.

You are NOT playing this game to its fullest if your focus is farming for a legendary.

I was actually doing this when I opened a Bag of Loot and a Dusk popped. Really speeds up getting my Dreamer.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Crafting

Posted by: Dreamer.9072

Dreamer.9072

Well after the price for Colossus was manipulated I had to craft my own. Started with 100 rares 2 days ago, 50 were carrion, 25 were valk, 25 were explorer, got back 4 exotics, no precursor.
Tried again yesterday, bought enough mats for another 100, this time i went with 25 carrions, 25 explorer, 25 knights, 25 valkyrie. Got Colossus on my 4th try, I was doing this on my lvl 65 alt (just incase anyone wondered like i did whether lvl negatively affected it)

in Crafting

Posted by: Hasteo.6437

Hasteo.6437

Well after the price for Colossus was manipulated I had to craft my own. Started with 100 rares 2 days ago, 50 were carrion, 25 were valk, 25 were explorer, got back 4 exotics, no precursor.
Tried again yesterday, bought enough mats for another 100, this time i went with 25 carrions, 25 explorer, 25 knights, 25 valkyrie. Got Colossus on my 4th try, I was doing this on my lvl 65 alt (just incase anyone wondered like i did whether lvl negatively affected it)

Congrats! I’m in the same boat as you, I have had a 245g buy order for about 1month now and the price of the colossus is just crazy.

So you go the colossus with rares? Which rares were they? I’m thinking I might try my luck with the MF.

Hasteo [EVOH] – Maguuma