Legendary precursor weapon idea

in Crafting

Posted by: Yashimata.2986

Yashimata.2986

So as the price of exotic slot machine weapons gets ever higher and people start writing off even attempting it, I’ve come up with an idea (which might not even be new, IDK) on how to fix it in way that should make everyone happy (except those currently hoarding dozens of them).

Basically, just turn them into a “mini-legendary”. Make them crafted from a recipe you get somewhere, using materials that are scattered around the world from various heart vendors, WvW badge vendor, dungeon tokens, and so on. You could collect the materials as you leveled up to 80, and then you’d have a neat weapon for you once you hit 80 or shortly thereafter (though if you were just in it for the exotic weapon, it wouldn’t be worth it for the price). Building the weapon would give you a taste of what it would be like to craft the legendary version, but on a much smaller scale. Players could then decide to continue on that path or not (if they even started on it).

Comments and criticism?

in Crafting

Posted by: Cereus.6735

Cereus.6735

There’s already exotics that require the gifts of blah blah blah and not all exotics have been found recipe wise. We only have a couple of skins available now since some people have unlocked them in the name of science.

in Crafting

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Sounds good as long as the total amount of materials required to make it is worth >300g

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

I thought legendary’s should have been made solely through crafting in the 1st place. Not the legendary gambling system.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

in Crafting

Yashimata.2986

There’s already exotics that require the gifts of blah blah blah and not all exotics have been found recipe wise. We only have a couple of skins available now since some people have unlocked them in the name of science.

Isn’t it mentioned somewhere the only way to get the precursors is random drop or the mystic slot machine? Edit: Yes it was. Thread doesn’t exist anymore, but I found this picture: http://i.imgur.com/1a3zJ.jpg

Sounds good as long as the total amount of materials required to make it is worth >300g

I think 10% of the cost of making a legendary would be sufficient. That’d be ~10g, ~100k karma, 50 dungeon tokens, 25 of each tier 6 ingredient + ectos, ~30 mystic coins and ~30 skill points. It seems like a reasonable amount of work to me.

(edited by Yashimata.2986)

in Crafting

deathTouch.9706

I think 10% of the cost of making a legendary would be sufficient. That’d be ~10g, ~100k karma, 50 dungeon tokens, 25 of each tier 6 ingredient + ectos, ~30 mystic coins and ~30 skill points. It seems like a reasonable amount of work to me.

That would be 1 days work, for something meant to be completed in months/years

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

in Crafting

Yashimata.2986

That would be 1 days work, for something meant to be completed in months/years

So you’re telling me getting a legendary takes a week and a half to get, then? Because that’s what you just said. If that’s true, why isn’t everyone running around with a legendary weapon by now? After all, 10% of a legendary weapon is only a day’s work.

Myself, and I assume a boatload of more casual players, don’t make that much in a day. Hell, it’d probably take me two weeks just to get that much karma together, playing normally.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Why not have a hidden system that, the faster you completed a run of Arah explorable (currently the only reasonably challenging dungeon in game), the higher the chance is you’ll loot an exotic weapon, including a Precursor.

That way you have an element of skill, while retaining an element of RNG.

in Crafting

deathTouch.9706

So you’re telling me getting a legendary takes a week and a half to get, then? Because that’s what you just said. If that’s true, why isn’t everyone running around with a legendary weapon by now? After all, 10% of a legendary weapon is only a day’s work.

Myself, and I assume a boatload of more casual players, don’t make that much in a day. Hell, it’d probably take me two weeks just to get that much karma together, playing normally.

Legendaries aren’t meant for casual players, at least not within half a year or more time frame.

A dedicated player could accomplish all of what you listed in your suggestion in 2 days, max. 100k karma/day is pretty standard for the legendary grind, 10g can be obtained passively through smart buying/crafting/selling on AH while you grind, 50 dungeon tokens is a single run of any explorable, 30 mystic coins is a joke and can be purchased off TP while grinding karma, 25 of each T6 ingredient is a joke and can be purchased off TP while grinding, and 30 skill points is about 1.5 hours or so from crafting.

That’s why there are plenty of other named exotics that look well and don’t cost as much as legendaries.

Not everyone can afford a Ferrari. That, along with their style and performance, is what makes them special and desirable. The same can be said for legendaries in this game.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

(edited by deathTouch.9706)

in Crafting

Yashimata.2986

Legendaries aren’t meant for casual players, at least not within half a year or more time frame.

A dedicated player could accomplish all of what you listed in your suggestion in 2 days, max. 100k karma/day is pretty standard for the legendary grind, 10g can be obtained passively through smart buying/crafting/selling on AH while you grind, 50 dungeon tokens is a single run of any explorable, 30 mystic coins is a joke and can be purchased off TP while grinding karma, 25 of each T6 ingredient is a joke and can be purchased off TP while grinding, and 30 skill points is about 1.5 hours or so from crafting.

That’s why there are plenty of other named exotics that look well and don’t cost as much as legendaries.

Not everyone can afford a Ferrari. That, along with their style and performance, is what makes them special and desirable. The same can be said for legendaries in this game.

This isn’t about the Ferrari, it’s one piece that will one day become the Ferrari.

I (casual player) can slowly but surely work towards all the other mats. I make like 1-2g and at best 8k karma per day. I’m slowly piling up my ectos and karma and crafting materials to make bits and pieces, and saving my tokens when I’m not buying a new look for one of my alts. I’ve been playing WvW off-and-on maybe a few hours per week and I’ve got maybe 70 tokens. Despite all of this, unless the RNG gods decide to grant me their favour, I’ll probably never be able to craft the legendary because I’ll never acquire the base component at the current rate of inflation.

Yeah, 100k karma and the rest of those mats are nothing for the hardcore farmer. But what about us lowly casual peasants who want to be able to work our way up? We don’t have 300+ gold to toss at a weapon. And the point wasn’t just to make the cost lower (though it could certainly use lowering), it was also to make getting it sort of “feel” like getting a legendary, even though you’re not. A taste of what would be to come, if you pursued it.

If you’re building a Ferrari from scratch, why are the tires the most expensive part?

in Crafting

Posted by: Surinen.9684

Surinen.9684

I agree that precursor should be crafted but material required for it should be normal, as for other normal exotic weapon – the rest of process required to obtain legendary is quite enough itself.

I dont know who in the right mind thought that: legendaries are not for casual players – this game is casual friendly from A to Z, watch manifesto, anything and just turn off WoW mindset.

in Crafting

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

The legendary precursor build simply needs to change. I have no problem with the current grind but some aspects need to be seriously reworked. The making of a legendary is a gemstore sink for the wealthy, no legendary quest involved.

When the legendary can be bought with simple gemstore gold then it isnt very legendary to begin with. Of course this is most likely intended by Anet.

The quest to make a legendary anything should be attainable by anyone from 1 quester to 100 in a party depending on certain stories, and in a common sense amount of time, nothing should be purchasable with gold and above all those with lives and those with no lives need to simply watch their own lanes.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

in Crafting

Posted by: franktheemt.4036

franktheemt.4036

I don’t get why people care so much about a vanity item. Lets fast forward and say you do craft a legendary.. what do you do with it? Stand around in Lion’s Arch so people can see it?

in Crafting

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

Absolutely not. Precursors were going for 10-20g early on. Anything more is out of the question. Precursors shouldn’t even be a money sink to begin with. They should be a reward in exchange for like 500 dungeon tokens from all dungeons. To those who spent 300g+ on their precursors bought from gems on their visa, well that is unfortunate. Should have waited.

in Crafting

Yashimata.2986

I don’t get why people care so much about a vanity item. Lets fast forward and say you do craft a legendary.. what do you do with it? Stand around in Lion’s Arch so people can see it?

I can’t speak for other players, but I intend to make awesome screenshots with it. IF I ever get it, anyway.

in Crafting

deathTouch.9706

Absolutely not. Precursors were going for 10-20g early on.

1) Information was lacking on precursor creation rate. No one knew exactly how rare the precursors were.

2) 20g early on was an incredible amount of money. The mean wealth of players has increased orders of magnitude above what it was when we first saw the precursors.

3) People using the Godskull creation system could sell the precursors at a lower price and still net a high profit margin because their production cost was half of what it currently is.

Keep the items exclusive by using the precursors as a gateway to the rest of the weapon, considering the remaining portions of crafting a precursor can be accomplished relatively easily in a manner of weeks.

Most people complaining about legendaries thus far seem to be a very vocal minority. Most people I’ve interacted within the game so far are doing one of two things:

1) Not crafting a legendary because they don’t have a desire to obtain something that doesn’t give them any additional stats.

2) Working diligently on their legendary without complaining.

The only people I see complaining regularly are on this forum, and most of them have a warped sense of entitlement(i.e. I threw (insert value from 5g-500g) of random junk into the forge and am now quitting because I didn’t get a greatsword precursor).

Nevermind the fact that there are precursors that sell for 50g or less. Or named exotics that look almost as good and sell for 30g or less.

Or that they don’t give any stats whatsoever and are completely vanity.

Or were meant to be the rarest weapon in the game.

It doesn’t matter if this is one piece of a Ferrari or the Ferrari itself. It’s the fact that both a Ferrari and a Volvo will get you to the same location in the same amount of time, but one costs orders of magnitude more than the other simply because it looks amazing and an extremely limited number are made.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: Surinen.9684

Surinen.9684

someone asked what for legendary skin – simply – to enjoy graphics and effects that affect combat, it enchances your experience largely. sometimes I wonder what happens to games, back then I remember that people were excited about new armour looks etc. and now it is all about stats. I play for the looks, I like when my class has great-fancy animations and when I can immerse into world and weapons like Twilight allows me it – I have no problem with that 100 people next to me gonna wield it too because I will my own window into cosmos

in Crafting

Yashimata.2986

It doesn’t matter if this is one piece of a Ferrari or the Ferrari itself. It’s the fact that both a Ferrari and a Volvo will get you to the same location in the same amount of time, but one costs orders of magnitude more than the other simply because it looks amazing and an extremely limited number are made.

You’re kind of starting to sound like one of those people who only likes things because nobody else has them.

someone asked what for legendary skin – simply – to enjoy graphics and effects that affect combat, it enchances your experience largely. sometimes I wonder what happens to games, back then I remember that people were excited about new armour looks etc. and now it is all about stats. I play for the looks, I like when my class has great-fancy animations and when I can immerse into world and weapons like Twilight allows me it – I have no problem with that 100 people next to me gonna wield it too because I will my own window into cosmos

Getting 100 people together with Twilight would be awesome. I wonder if all the windows could be lined up to make a really big window?

in Crafting

deathTouch.9706

You’re kind of starting to sound like one of those people who only likes things because nobody else has them.

Welcome to the concept of conspicuous consumption, the entire point of the legendary weapon.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

Yes. This. You nailed it. 1000x this.

I really don’t understand the point of a legendary if everyone has one.
We already have those. They’re called exotics. Just make an exotic, those are the items you’re looking for, and they have the same stats.

For the record, working 9-5 would put me in the realm of more ‘casual’ player. I do not own a legendary. I just don’t comprehend the logic of making a tier of items that are merely slightly more expensive exotics.

If i ever do obtain one, I would prefer for it to actually feel rare.