Making a Legendary for Profit

in Crafting

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

Q:

About a month ago, I managed to get The Lover from combining 4 completely random exotics in the forge. I sold it for money and got about 600 gold. Today, on a whim, I bought a Rage (speargun) since it was only 60 gold. Now I’m interested in learning about how best to make a profit out of crafting Frenzy.

I already have the Gift of Mastery prepared (plus a spare Gift of Exploration). I have plenty of T6 materials from playing the game over the last two years, tons of mystic coins, and lots of obsidian. I have Chef at 400 and I should be able to get to 400 Huntsman pretty easily.

It seems to me that it should be pretty easy to get a profit out of Frenzy. The precursor is pretty cheap, the stuff I don’t have yet probably won’t cost more than 200 gold (out of my 600 available), and legendaries sell for a lot. I know harpoon guns aren’t very popular, but surely SOMEONE will buy my Frenzy if I offer it at a good price.

Is there something I’m missing here? It seems I am, because the whole process seems ludicrously easy from where I’m standing.

in Crafting

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

You’ll need to run the cost/profit on all the materials required to craft your legendary.

It doesn’t matter if you farmed all the materials, were given to you buy friends, or if you bought them. They all have a current sell price. If you sold all the materials required for your legendary on the market today, will you still be making a profit? If so, how much? Is that amount of profit worth it?

Current estimates put crafting frenzy around a 1300 gold cost if you just bought everything. Can you sell for more than that? What are your plans for capital? Another legendary? Gemstore skins? It all depends on your end goal.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

in Crafting

Equinox.4968

If I’m calculating this correctly, I only need about 200 of each T6 crafting material since I’ve accumulated about 50 for each of the 8 materials (I’ll have to check the specifics, some might be slightly more or less than this). At current market prices, that’ll cost me about 594 gold, assuming I don’t just farm some of the materials to save myself some money or transmute T5 materials (which I also have quite a few of). 120 gold fixed cost for the icy runestones and recipes. 83 gold to buy enough lodestones to get me from where I am now up to 100. 78 gold for the ectoplasms for the clovers and 97 for the rest needed for that gift, assuming I don’t just salvage them myself. Let’s assume I can just go out and gather all the wood I need by myself to get my Huntsman to 400 and then enough to cover the Gift of Wood, and I’ll break even on all that. Ditto with the orichalcum.

That brings the total to about 972 gold. That would give me approximately 330 gold profit, assuming I don’t use my time instead of my money to get materials.

My goal is just to get more money, period. I’m a hoarder, and I like seeing big sums. I’ve put in the work for the Gift of Mastery, and I figured that with a little extra effort, I could translate that work into monetary profit.

What would you advise based on all of that?

in Crafting

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The profit largely comes from the Gift of Exploration, clover RNG, dungeon/WvW tokens, and skill points. Frenzy is also not one of the more worthwhile legendaries to sell for gold right now.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Crafting

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

If I’m calculating this correctly, I only need about 200 of each T6 crafting material since I’ve accumulated about 50 for each of the 8 materials (I’ll have to check the specifics, some might be slightly more or less than this). At current market prices, that’ll cost me about 594 gold, assuming I don’t just farm some of the materials to save myself some money or transmute T5 materials (which I also have quite a few of). 120 gold fixed cost for the icy runestones and recipes. 83 gold to buy enough lodestones to get me from where I am now up to 100. 78 gold for the ectoplasms for the clovers and 97 for the rest needed for that gift, assuming I don’t just salvage them myself. Let’s assume I can just go out and gather all the wood I need by myself to get my Huntsman to 400 and then enough to cover the Gift of Wood, and I’ll break even on all that. Ditto with the orichalcum.

That brings the total to about 972 gold. That would give me approximately 330 gold profit, assuming I don’t use my time instead of my money to get materials.

My goal is just to get more money, period. I’m a hoarder, and I like seeing big sums. I’ve put in the work for the Gift of Mastery, and I figured that with a little extra effort, I could translate that work into monetary profit.

What would you advise based on all of that?

I think your biggest problem here is that you are not putting a price on the materials you are gathering yourself. Each piece of wood you gather, each ecto you salvage, can also be sold on the market independently of getting the legendary. There is profit to be made, but you have to look at the entire cost, not just what you buy.

The value of the raw material required for that legendary is around 1300 gold. At the sale price of 1999 (most recent minimum sale price by gw2spidy) that leaves you with 1699 gold. For a profit of 399 gold. That profit is for your skill points, karma, tokens and such that can’t directly be given a gold value.

If you used the same logic and value, you could craft the bifrost, a cost of 2370 gold, to sell for around 3400, leaving you with a profit(after taxes) of around 500g. I’m sure others could make you more. Since your goal is big numbers/profit, do you research and figure out the cost/profit of each legendary. Frenzy isn’t really the best choice if going for the I want to make lots of gold award.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

in Crafting

Equinox.4968

Well, Frenzy and Carcharias are pretty much the only precursors I can afford…and honestly, all I want is to monetize the Gift of Mastery. It’s a measure of my progress in the game (map completion, skill points, obsidian bought with karma) that is otherwise impossible to translate into money, and I made a Gift of Mastery just in case I might want to use it later on.

Regarding the whole “you could sell what you have” part, I guess I just don’t think that way. Using my personal time to acquire valuable items makes them seem “free” to me, as opposed to buying them. As I said, I’m a hoarder, and I greatly prefer to see the reserves in my wallet increase, or at least stay the same, while I keep getting more useful items. For instance, why spend 594 gold on the T6 materials when I can get them all for nothing by killing high-level enemies for the next month or so? It seems like a matter of convenience more than anything, and I’d rather get money AND those items instead of trading one for the other, even if it takes me a while.

Also, after purchasing Rage I have 600 gold left in my wallet, hence why I intend to do a lot of the gathering and salvaging on my own.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

in Crafting

Posted by: endirasae.3015

endirasae.3015

What they’re trying to say is that by the time you have all the materials you need, how much profit would you make simply selling those materials and the precursor on the TP? If the difference between that price (which you’ll get quickly, as materials sell fast) and the legendary (which isn’t a popular one) isn’t particularly large, you’re essentially selling your Gift of Exploration, skill points, clovers etc. for that price. Is all that stuff and effort worth eg. a mere 100g profif?

in Crafting

Equinox.4968

What they’re trying to say is that by the time you have all the materials you need, how much profit would you make simply selling those materials and the precursor on the TP? If the difference between that price (which you’ll get quickly, as materials sell fast) and the legendary (which isn’t a popular one) isn’t particularly large, you’re essentially selling your Gift of Exploration, skill points, clovers etc. for that price. Is all that stuff and effort worth eg. a mere 100g profif?

I guess you’re right. It won’t be worth it for me because ultimately, I want to keep all the materials I have, continue getting more, AND get 1300 gold from selling Frenzy, which is just impossible and unrealistic. I guess I had underestimated just how many materials it takes to complete a legendary. At least I can resell Rage without losing much gold…

If only there was an easier way to convert a Gift of Mastery into gold.

in Crafting

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

The Gift of Mastery is a way to convert your in game ‘achievements’ into a Legendary. Generally achievements are not meant to be converted to gold, just all the loot you acquire on the way to those achievements is if you don’t hoard it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Frenzy:
cost to make: 1,267g29s36c+347.84SP+1042440Karma
sell price:
1,999g99s99c
profit:
432g70s62c (34%)
=1g24s39c/SP
=41s50c/1000Karma

Ingredients:
Rage, 1, 53g1s98c, buy
Gift of Frenzy, 1, 265g27s19c
—Gift of Wood, 1, 49g35s0c, craft:
——Ancient Wood Plank, 250, 13s86c, craft:
———Ancient Wood Log, 3, 4s62c, buy
——Elder Wood Plank, 250, 1s86c, craft:
———Elder Wood Log, 3, 62c, buy
——Hard Wood Plank, 250, 2s76c, craft:
———Hard Wood Log, 3, 92c, buy
——Seasoned Wood Plank, 250, 1s26c, craft:
———Seasoned Wood Log, 3, 42c, buy
—Gift of Water, 1, 115g90s0c, craft:
——Orichalcum Ingot, 250, 10s40c, craft:
———Orichalcum Ore, 2, 5s20c, buy
——Glacial Lodestone, 100, 18s37c, buy
——Gift of the Sanctuary, 1, 0c, buy
——Molten Lodestone, 100, 71s53c, buy
—Icy Runestone, 100, 1g0s0c, buy
—Superior Sigil of Rage, 1, 2s19c, buy
Gift of Mastery, 1, 0c+525000Karma+200SP
—Gift of Battle, 1, 0c, buy
—Gift of Exploration, 1, 0c, buy
—Obsidian Shard, 250, 0c+2100Karma, buy
—Bloodstone Shard, 1, 0c+200SP, buy
Gift of Fortune, 1, 949g0s19c+517440Karma+147.84SP, craft:
—Gift of Magic, 1, 350g35s0c, craft:
——Vial of Powerful Blood, 250, 49s61c, buy
——Powerful Venom Sac, 250, 34s26c, buy
——Elaborate Totem, 250, 35s41c, buy
——Pile of Crystalline Dust, 250, 20s86c, buy
—Gift of Might, 1, 404g5s0c, craft:
——Vicious Fang, 250, 40s15c, buy
——Armored Scale, 250, 41s16c, buy
——Vicious Claw, 250, 41s5c, buy
——Ancient Bone, 250, 39s26c, buy
—Mystic Clover, 77, 1g26s49c+6720Karma+1.92SP, craft:
——Obsidian Shard, 3.2, 0c+2100Karma, buy
——Mystic Coin, 3.2, 65c, buy
——Glob of Ectoplasm, 3.2, 38s88c, buy
——Philosopher’s Stone, 19.2, 0c+0.1SP, buy
—Glob of Ectoplasm, 250, 38s88c, buy

currently, the most profitable legendary to craft is Frostfang. costs 2,017g29s58c and sells for 3,399g99s99c, which is a profit of 872g70s40c.
^_^

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Crafting

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

sounds pretty profitable to craft legendaries as long as you have the karma/SP and so forth.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

the gold/SP and gold/karma is not bad. really, you’d have to cut both of those in half to get a better estimation. There are far better options, but they don’t consume nearly as much SP or karma as quickly.
But… the gift of exploration makes crafting legendaries not exactly a good gold/hour deal. However, if you happen to be someone who map completes every alt they have and is overflowing in SP and karma, then it’s the perfect thing to do!