One Click Crafting too easy?!

in Crafting

Posted by: Basen.8506

Basen.8506

I just want to point out this issue I am having, it took me 20 mins and 30 silver to get cooking from 0-101… The actual crafting took 3 minutes total, the other time was spent getting the ingredients from the BLTC.
I’d love crafting similar to either FFXI or FFXIV, crafting in FFXI was rewarding since it took a few moments per craft and you had the chance to fail, get normal result or produce a HQ item.
Cause this POWER Crafting is not very good in my opinion, what do you guys think?

in Crafting

Posted by: Crash.9186

Crash.9186

It’s not rewarding in the slightest bit to have to wait 10, 20 or 30+ seconds for some item to craft, then if it fails, it just makes it even more annoying, I’d much prefer to get on with the game, have the crafting done as quick as possible and then carry on with what I was doing, not sit still for a minute waiting for some annoying bar to go up with a chance to fail what ever it is I’m crafting.

If there’s one thing GW2 is good at, it’s “not” beating around the bush.

in Crafting

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

crafting is really a fun activity for me, especially for the effort of getting the right materials. Do you use the filters/search option at the crafting table? They e.g. speed up the process of identifying what you have “invented” allready and what you would need for further inventions a LOT.

in Crafting

Posted by: PPson.7042

PPson.7042

Personally I like this crafting, Aion had a crafting set-up similar to what you were talking about, with chances to fail and so on, and it became incredibly unprofitable to craft unless you were already very rich just because of how expensive the more end game mats (globs of ectoplasm) were and when you failed, you lost it all. RNG based crafting turns many people away from crafting and keeps them from exploring that content. Also with the way gear is set up, no piece of equivalent lvl is inherently better than another, it works with this crafting setup to make sure that it isn’t a “cheap” way of getting OP gear

Seiz – 80 Human Thief
Representing Terribad (TBad)

in Crafting

Basen.8506

Like I said before if they atleast removed the option to get the ingredients from the TP, the crafting would be more immersive

in Crafting

PPson.7042

The problem with removing mats from the TP is everyone would rage. lol

Seiz – 80 Human Thief

in Crafting

Basen.8506

Why would they rage? They can still buy the end products from the TP, but if they want to craft let them put some effort in it

in Crafting

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

The only crafting progress bar I ever liked was in Everquest 2. Release crafting where you could actually die from crafting failures. That was great! I still remember quite fondly my first day of crafting watching 3 people die from crafting within 2 minutes of each other. I was scared.

The fast progress bar in this game is fine. The unique part of crafting in GW2 is the experimentation with materials.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

in Crafting

Basen.8506

FFXI introduced crafting where you took dmg if you failed, similar to EQ2, so that would work great here aswell if you ask me

in Crafting

PPson.7042

Why would they rage? They can still buy the end products from the TP, but if they want to craft let them put some effort in it

You underestimate how lazy people are. And the damage from failure idea is interesting, however that would require a complete rework of one feature I like very much, the out of combat recovery rate. There would be no point in taking damage from failure if you just recovered it all 3 seconds later.

Seiz – 80 Human Thief

in Crafting

Posted by: Razamis.1062

Razamis.1062

I just want to point out this issue I am having, it took me 20 mins and 30 silver to get cooking from 0-101… The actual crafting took 3 minutes total, the other time was spent getting the ingredients from the BLTC.
I’d love crafting similar to either FFXI or FFXIV, crafting in FFXI was rewarding since it took a few moments per craft and you had the chance to fail, get normal result or produce a HQ item.
Cause this POWER Crafting is not very good in my opinion, what do you guys think?

I agree it is not good.

GW2 follows a mentality of “make everything easy for everyone and let everyone have everything with little to no effort”

The result?

Nothing you get really matters.

Look sometimes something being hard earned and taking a lot of time is a VERY good thing. Human psychology 101.

GW2 is already getting old and its only a bit over 2 weeks old. Yeah, back to WoW for my guild, this game will not be the long term MMO we were hoping for.

in Crafting

Basen.8506

I know people are lazy, but does that mean we have to encourage it? In FFXIV the crafting and gathering was like a whole MMO in itself, if you needed to craft something you went out there and got the mats and then crafted them on the spot.
And as far as the dmg, there would be a longer time through normal recovery like after combat

in Crafting

Basen.8506

Spot on Razamis, the game is too fast paces, the developers have promised free content updates, but with the speed of progress in this game, they better be quick at modeling and coding, since players are running out of things to do, it is going on way to fast, crafting especially, yesterday I crafted 100 salads, 100 marinated mushrooms and 100 cinamonn something and got 100 levels of cooking in return, no sense of achievement no nothing, since i did not have to gather the ingredients nor did I have to pass a test to become a cook etc…

in Crafting

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

The Trading Post should never have been global, there is just too much over saturation. I am amazed they didn’t make Realm TP’s, at least it would make the TP more interesting and therefore not so ridiculously easy to raise your crafting so quickly and such a low cost.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

in Crafting

Basen.8506

Just read the letter from the Producer for FFXIV and it seems I will be returning to FFXIV A Realm Reborn once it launches, I am sure GW2 will give me my money worth till then, but in the end its a game with no difficulty.
Cheers

in Crafting

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

I agree it is not good.

GW2 follows a mentality of “make everything easy for everyone and let everyone have everything with little to no effort”

The result?

Nothing you get really matters.

Look sometimes something being hard earned and taking a lot of time is a VERY good thing. Human psychology 101.

GW2 is already getting old and its only a bit over 2 weeks old. Yeah, back to WoW for my guild, this game will not be the long term MMO we were hoping for.

Did they make it easy or did they just make certain tasks not take a long time?

Lets compare WoW to GW2

-Smelt 250 bars of ore in WoW and GW2, compare the times

-go to Booty Bay (Stranglethorn Bay in case it turns it to kitten text) and fly to Zul Aman. How long did that take?

-add up all the time you ever spent running from the quest area to the quest giver. Compare that to the amount of time you spend running between quest giver and quest area in GW2.

-When the item you are crafting turns gray, tell me how in WoW you would proceed to keep leveling up your crafting skill. Now tell me how you do it in GW2.

The point i’m getting at is there arent that many time sinks in GW2. Fewer time sinks means more time spent playing the game.

in Crafting

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Like I said before if they atleast removed the option to get the ingredients from the TP, the crafting would be more immersive

If you don’t want to buy the materials for crafting from the trading post, no one is forcing you to do so.

in Crafting

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I must admit, I do enjoy more active crafting systems like EQ2’s and Vanguard’s, where crafting is more of an actual mini-game. But I have absolutely no problem with GW2’s crafting system as a “crafting lite” system. It fulfils the function of an alternative to combat and exploration, some “down time” in the game, and unless your heart and soul is in crafting, it’s pretty satisfying. But if your heart and soul is in crafting, you should be playing EQ2 or Vanguard

in Crafting

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I like that the act of crafting is nearly instant. its refreshing change. Harvesting the right mats is a real challenge if you don’t use the broker.

I’ve got several maxed crafters on EQ2…and EQ2 crafting is an absolute mind numbing snore. I hated the act of crafting there, even though I maxed several of them to feed the armor, weapons & potion needs of all my alts

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

in Crafting

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

I just want to point out this issue I am having, it took me 20 mins and 30 silver to get cooking from 0-101… The actual crafting took 3 minutes total, <strong>the other time</strong> was spent getting the ingredients from the BLTC.

so.. was “the other time” fun? how long does it took you to get the materials?

in Crafting

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I love the crafting. But it’s taken quite a lot of work to get my crafting professions levelled up, even with me harvesting/mining/chopping every node I came across from level 1 to 80.

You need to add the time it took you to get enough money to buy all the materials on the trading post.

in Crafting

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

You found it too easy to lvl because you went and bought materials and it sounds like just made the same item over and over again. The proper way to lvl the crafting is by “Discovering” every recipe and believe me that takes a lot more time and is also a dang lot more fun than what you did.

You have no one else to blame for it being too easy, fast and or boring than youself. Now if you want to make a particular item I guess you will have to search on google for the recipe and then go and buy those materials for it since you probably have not discovered the recipe for yourself. :P

Ps I used to play FF14 and the craft system there was so boring and repetitive and talk about slow…..

The makers of this game have aimed to make EVERY aspect of the game fun and I can tell you when it comes to crafting aspects of games that is usually not an easy task to do. However in my opinion with this discovery method they have succeded in doing so. Sure most of the recipes are a no brainer and you could say anyone can figure them out by “cheating” and looking them up on google etc. But to me in my mind in that case I view it as more of a “got to catch em all” type system, that is learn them all so you can make any of the items if you want/need them. and that I find fun. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?