Pine is not a hard wood

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Cybermystic.9158

Cybermystic.9158

This is not a game breaker, but I was quite startled when I chopped down a pine sapling and got hard wood (pine is a soft wood). I don’t mind imaginary monsters, but this seems to be more a case of mismatched research than stretching the imagination, and temporarily interrupts game immersion. Once the big kinks are worked out, may be they could rename the tree to an actual hard wood tree for crafting purposes? For me proper use of language in dialog, letters, and naming conventions is as beautiful a part of the game as graphics or creative questing opportunities, of which GW2 has in abundance.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: cragxe.4701

cragxe.4701

this is your complaint… really? breaks immersion… when your average play in fact wouldn’t have noticed…
this just seems silly to me but, oh well.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Are saplings (the only thing we are allowed to cut down) even a good source of wood ?

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Cyvil.1605

Cyvil.1605

I thought the same thing with pine being a hard wood. Where is the Oak? Whichever, it is just a game. Apparently, the developers are just “average play(ers)” if this one slipped through.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Librin Latone.1852

Librin Latone.1852

I have had a similar thing with some of the harvestables – “why did that come up here” – taproots IS a little vague – but that doesn’t mean the whole list of every veggie in the game should be found at “taproots” – some of those “lettus” and “spinach” types could just be “leafy greens”…

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
~ “Eleonora” Edgar Allen Poe

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Strenif.4935

Strenif.4935

I have no idea why but this reminded me an episode of west wing.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: DarkMarmot.8374

DarkMarmot.8374

This one broke immersion for me too actually… I mean pines are nearly the definition of SOFT WOOD. It’s just a jarringly strange choice. They could’ve easily just made up a tree type and been done with it….

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Cyvil.1605

Cyvil.1605

Is there a “That’s what she said” joke floating around in here, somewhere?

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Why are we allowed to cut down ancient wood? I believe in the right of this ancient trees to not be butchered by the wood industry.

We need to protest in front of this ancient trees to stop this! Who is with me!

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: KrakenAZ.9367

KrakenAZ.9367

Why are we allowed to cut down ancient wood? I believe in the right of this ancient trees to not be butchered by the wood industry.

We need to protest in front of this ancient trees to stop this! Who is with me!

You’re improving the longevity of the trees by weeding out the weaklings. If you’re ancient and still only a sapling, you are not doing your part in the world of trees. Make room for faster growing trees that know what they’re doing.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

On Earth pine is a soft wood, maybe it’s a hard wood on Tyria

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Manxome Foe.5098

Manxome Foe.5098

This does actually stand out as an obvious error for anyone who works with wood, either professionally or as a hobby. I completely understand why everyone else would not notice it, or care if it were pointed out – but like the OP, I do think that changing pine to an actual hard would be a worthwhile addition to a low-priority to-do list.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Ryltair.2857

Ryltair.2857

I think we should be able to chop down Sylvari NPCs for wood.

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: WomanAtPlay.8539

WomanAtPlay.8539

My husband grew up around a yellow pine saw mill, he’s made the same observation as the OP. He also complains about the butts left when you chop a tree down, apparently the butts are the best part of any tree. And the last complaint; the chopping axes are not the right type. I can’t remember exactly what he said, something like the graphic for the axe is actually a finishing tool, because there’s a beard on it.

(edited by WomanAtPlay.8539)

Pine is not a hard wood

in Crafting

Posted by: Red Asgard.1962

Red Asgard.1962

now, what if this game world ran as a parallel world to our, where almost everything is the same but with different types of things such a growth and stuff. In the end its a game. So to go in and be like heh would of been better. Your reality is not equal nor the same as another reality out there in RL on a different plane, let alone; A video game. I’m just saying.

?? ???????????? ?????????