Plant Harvesting a Pain!?

in Crafting

Posted by: Rizalee.4593

Rizalee.4593

I don’t even know how to start this thread.. I am just so irritated by Plant Gathering…

Today I was in Bloodtide Coast, and I hit a plant node, and got a Carrot.. a Carrot from a “Variegated Taproots” node… Carrots already have their own node.. If I wanted carrots, I could go to the newbie zone, and harvest Carrots from there..

I have to wonder.. Why are cooking materials so random, but the other two harvesting Materials, not so much so? If I want Mithril Ore, I go out looking for Mithril ore.. If I want Seasoned wood, I go out looking for specific trees to get that wood.

I can not do the same with cooking materials… its FAR to random and FAR to wide a search window to try to find what I am looking for!

What I would like to see is “group nodes” (Nodes that can give more than 1 harvest-able item) thinned down a little bit… For example..

The 1st tier “Herb Patch” and “Herb Seedlings” are the location to get 5 different cooking items(Peppercorn, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme, and Vanilla) Of those 5 items 3 (Peppercorn, Parsley and Thyme) can be found in BOTH nodes, why not combine those two nodes into one, do away with “herb Seedlings” and just give us one kind of Herb patch?

Why have they made it so hard to “Target” harvest food items?

When we go from Tier 1 to Tier 2 food items, we still see Peppercorn, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme, and Carrots on the loot table for tier 2 harvesting nodes. We also see sage leaves obtainable from 2 different nodes.

I think you might see where I am going.. By the time we get to tier 4, “Mature Herbs” you have got 10 items that can be harvested from that one node.. of those items 8 are Their 1, 2, and 3 Herbs, meaning you have a 20% chance when harvesting a tier 4 node to get a tier 4 material..

We as players have to upgrade our Plant harvesting tools, and pay more money not so that we can get higher tier mats.. but so that we can have a Chance at getting high tier mats..

I guess long story short.. if your going to put multiple harvesting items into one node.. First, make sure the node only drops item of its own tier, not lower, and make it so that we only need to find 1 kind of node to find a food item…

~ Rizalee – Human Mesmer ~
~ Rizzae – Asura Guardian ~
Tarnished Coast Server

in Crafting

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I would rather gather a carrot then a chuck of mithril. It’s worth twice as much on the TP and is good for your health. With the exception of saffron which might I add is a level 80 material; herbs and spices in general are worth more then ores and logs. Orichalcum being the exception of course. Gather them all regardless of what they might contain. Pro tip: buy an infinite gathering sickle for convenience. It saves you a lot of hassle and frees up slots in you inventory.

(edited by OmniPotentes.4817)

in Crafting

Rizalee.4593

Yea.. I suppose what I said above it why they are worth so much more… You can’t say “Hey.. I need Sesame Seeds.. Let me go harvest those…” because at the end of the day you might only get 2 or 3 of them and a mixed bag of all kinds of other things…

Tarnished Coast Server

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I agree with you in general that it would be nice to have a narrower range of herbs or plants, you usually don’t need anywhere near the same amount of ingredients that you do for things like cloth, wood or metal. By the time I’ve finished completing a map with all 5 of my alts, I have more than enough ingredients to do whatever cooking I might need for the foreseeable future.

in Crafting

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

I find it very fun that I don’t know what I’ll get from every patch I harvest : it add some spice when I get a rare ingredient. However, I can understand the frustration when you’re trying to look for a particular one.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I tend to agree that getting a freakin’ carrot in higher end zones sucks, but the unknown factor does add some interest. Then again, most people that think about cooking ingredients don’t consider the recipes for dyes….they can take a ton of low end materials and can sell for quite a bit of $.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Rizalee.4593

Why should there be an unknown factor? Is there an Unknown factor when I harvest a Gold Ore node, or when you harvest from a Tukawa Sapling? No. I know exactly what kind of wood and Ore I’m going to get from those Nodes.. No so for most harvesting nodes..

If they want to keep an “unknown factor” about it, that is fine.. but having 5-10 possible items come out of one node seems excessive to me.

It also seems excessive to have items from T1 as loot drops all the way up to T4 nodes. I could See T1 modes only doing T1, and T2 dropping T2/T1 with T3 dropping T3/T2 and finally T4 dropping T4/T3 .. Gives you more opportunities to find what your looking for, while still narrowing down the field..

Tarnished Coast Server

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

When you decide to become a chef, the Master Chef warns you that it is an advanced discipline. If you want a surefire way to get exactly the ingredients you want, then buy them from the trading post.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

When we go from Tier 1 to Tier 2 food items, we still see Peppercorn, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme, and Carrots on the loot table for tier 2 harvesting nodes. We also see sage leaves obtainable from 2 different nodes.

I think you might see where I am going.. By the time we get to tier 4, “Mature Herbs” you have got 10 items that can be harvested from that one node.. of those items 8 are Their 1, 2, and 3 Herbs, meaning you have a 20% chance when harvesting a tier 4 node to get a tier 4 material..

Tiers matter a lot less in cooking that the other crafting professions. A weaponsmith is never going to need copper ore when crafting lv400 weapons but a chef can and does need materials from other tiers even if they are making lv400 items.

in Crafting

Rizalee.4593

Tiers matter a lot less in cooking that the other crafting professions. A weaponsmith is never going to need copper ore when crafting lv400 weapons but a chef can and does need materials from other tiers even if they are making lv400 items.

This is true.. I hadn’t thought about it that way..

Tarnished Coast Server

in Crafting

Posted by: Highhope.8927

Highhope.8927

The advanced discipline factors in RNG, but boy oh boy when I tried to farm vanilla beans :c

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The advanced discipline factors in RNG, but boy oh boy when I tried to farm vanilla beans :c

Vanilla is relatively easy.