Please remove 40 silver "re-train" fee for 400 lvl crafter

in Crafting

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

Long story short,

- I maxed Jewelery and Cooking
- Then ditched Cooking to learn Tailor
- Wanted to craft some nourishments for alts and noticed that I have to pay 40 silver (WTF?) so I can craft cooking stuff again.

Why is this such a massive gold-sink for people who already maxed certain crafts?

Been there, done that. What’s next?

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

Because the game needs gold sinks.

Or you could cook on your alt, or you could buy the food off the TP because its cheaper than 40s to respec. Or just be glad you didn’t lose all your progress.

in Crafting

mage.3570

Your solution is not a sustainable one. Yes, cooking is cheaper in the TP, but for many other professions like Jewelry, it is economical to craft it yourself.

I agree the game needs some gold sinks, but to punish max crafters to pursue other crafting disciplines is going a little too far.

I would love to hear ANET’s stance on the reasoning behind it.

in Crafting

Posted by: MaxTwelve.4725

MaxTwelve.4725

I see it not as a punishment, but as a cost associated with the privilege of being able to save progress in crafts you have left to pursue others.

Member of Acolytes Gaming Community
Http://www.acolytescommunity.com – http://www.youtube.com/user/AcolytesCommunity

in Crafting

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

I don’t get why people insist on keeping the 40 silver charges.

in Crafting

Posted by: FireSnake.7536

FireSnake.7536

Because the game needs gold sinks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

Because each character is supposed to have a maximum of 2 usable crafts at any given time, and lowering the cost of changing by too much would effectively remove that intended limit. And evidently 40s is what ANet decided on as a reasonable balance.

If you want other crafts, either be willing to spend the 40s, or learn them on an alt.

in Crafting

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Game has the best gold sink ever, the mystic toilet and the 15 kitten tax of nothing at all upon every type of trade. The 2 should be nerfed not a 40 silver fee for being able to craft more stuff.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Crafting

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

I am inclined to agree with the OP on this one.

As it stands there are PLENTY of gold sinks in the game.
Travel, Armor repair, death ( which is travel + armor repair in most instances), Selling or buying on the trade post, the bazillion customizations options, crafting, the “mystic toilet” and of course the biggest gold sink of all….legendary weapons.

In all honesty why even have you pay to switch in the first place? Considering they let you learn and max all of the trade skills why limit you to just 2 active at any 1 given point in time? Seems slightly counter to their design philosophy.

in Crafting

Posted by: Retty T.2640

Retty T.2640

Definitely agree with OP on this one also. 40s just to switch crafting professions just seems a bit too high considering how much it costs to make exotics already with crafting. Atleast, should be reduced to 20s.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kyiv.9621

Kyiv.9621

Because then everyone would have max crafting in everything and what little crafted items you can sell on the TP as it is would vanish.

I like it this way, it makes people make rational choices about what crafting they want to have and what items they will buy off the TP from other people instead because of the limitations.

in Crafting

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Please make everything in the game free

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: Tindahbawx.1540

Tindahbawx.1540

I’d be happier if it let you switch for free, but reset your progress each time.

in Crafting

Posted by: LostMK.4089

LostMK.4089

I don’t get why people insist on keeping the 40 silver charges.

They loved being abused and misused

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

If you can afford to craft exotics, 40s is nothing.

People are so spoiled. 40s to switch vs having to learn it all over again like every other game.

in Crafting

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

There’s really no reason to put all your crafting on one char (especially coz of this 40s thing), than to put them on your alts. :|

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: DenverRalphy.4185

DenverRalphy.4185

IMHO, It’s not really a gold sink so much as it’s a mechanic to deter players from leveling their toons to 80 predominately through crafting and little to no adventuring.

in Crafting

mage.3570

IMHO, It’s not really a gold sink so much as it’s a mechanic to deter players from leveling their toons to 80 predominately through crafting and little to no adventuring.

— But what about players who are already level 80 in character and level 400 in crafting?
— This does not stop people from reaching level 80 via crafting alone, because it does not punish them for switching to new crafts. So people will still do it if that’s their goal.
— Once the “Master Crafter” title is achieved, I don’t know why anyone would be interested in using crafting to level up a brand new toon because crafting is a chore. Grinding dungeons and Blessed Shore (cursed shore..) are the best places to level.
— All it does is punish a max crafter for trying to use previously learned crafts.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

It seems pretty clear to me that the game wants you to just have 2 professions per character. If it was so cheap, everyone would be doing weapons, armor, food, everything for themselves, all the crafting market would be destroyed (even more that how it is now).

in Crafting

Posted by: Okamifujutsu.1458

Okamifujutsu.1458

If you don’t like the idea of paying 40s, Anet could just not let you learn a third craft. They only want you to have 2 per character (which I think is ultimately a good design), be glad you can have a third one at all.

in Crafting

Posted by: Burnham.2613

Burnham.2613

They should let us purchase the ability to have more than 2 crafting professions. Charge 600 gems or something for every additional profession slot you want to buy. That way it is either a 1 time expensive gold sink, or possibly a way to get more money if people buy the gems with real money and not in game gold.

in Crafting

Posted by: Morgoth.4573

Morgoth.4573

Just make alts to level crafting skills. Its what I did. Have everything except Huntsman, leatherworking and Tailoring atm, all spread over 3 characters.

in Crafting

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

I’m torn on the idea of the switching fee. On one hand I see it as necessary as it discourages more than two crafts on one toon. Which in turn encourages player to player sales market. And on the other hand see that it would be nice to have all crafts on one toon. However this doesn’t stop one from having all the crafts. You just need one character for every two crafts. Problem solved. The fee is there for those who want the convenience of more than two crafts on one character. If you aren’t switching crafts to make something worth the price to switch then the better option is to have enough characters to cover the crafts you want.

I see this as a non-issue because even if you don’t want to play the other characters they will level up from just crafting. You can run around the zones gathering without ever needing to do anything else. Or pass all the materials from the character you want to play through content with to the others and they never have to leave the crafting station.

in Crafting

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

It seems to me that people should be worried more about crafting actually being useful before they worry about the charge to carry more than 2 crafts on a single character.

in Crafting

Posted by: Retty T.2640

Retty T.2640

Well theres already enough gold sinks in the game which includes TP listing fees, tax, travel, armor repair and respawning after death. 40s just seems a bit too expensive for someone who wants to max all 8 profs on one character such as myself.

in Crafting

mage.3570

Guys…I don’t think you got the message of my first post.

The 40s is not being charged for learning a third or subsequent craft.

It is being charged for coming back to the same craft which you have already maxed (level 400).

in Crafting

Posted by: Kyrantho.5863

Kyrantho.5863

Gold sinks are needed. 40s to switch BACK to a craft, not to learn new ones. Do what most others are doing; using alts for the other crafting disciplines. If you really want to max all 8 on 1 character, you can. It won’t cost you anything unless you switch back to one you’ve already learned.

in Crafting

Posted by: sarmatiko.2843

sarmatiko.2843

Well theres already enough gold sinks in the game which includes TP listing fees, tax, travel, armor repair and respawning after death. 40s just seems a bit too expensive for someone who wants to max all 8 profs on one character such as myself.

There is never enough gold sinks. Players always generate more gold than they destroy. Even in game with more complex economic (EVE) there isn’t enough sinks and devs always searching for solutions to increase value of isk.

Also there is no reason to train all profs on one toon. You still can get Master Crafter title because it doesn’t matters where you training profession – title progress is account wide.
Ofc you can say “I WANT ONE toon and I don’t care!”. Fair enough, but Anet want your 40s also. You should pay if you too lazy and arrogant to switch characters.

Whole thread is good example how you give players an inch and they will take a mile.
“Oh cool we dont need to lose all crafting progress like in WoW”.. month later.. “It’s not enough, we want this all for free!”

(edited by sarmatiko.2843)

in Crafting

Posted by: forever.6908

forever.6908

Just learn 2 from each alts, why is that so hard? You have 5 character slots, and 4 characters can learn all 8 without having to change and pay 40 silver fee ever. Please stop complaining such trivial things. There are many other bigger problems and bugs in this game that should be solved.

in Crafting

Posted by: kuroi.5467

kuroi.5467

@ the “We Have Enough Goldsinks!!!” crowd
seriously, how on earth are any of you pretending to understand how many gold sinks this game needs? are you economists? do you know how much gold comes in per day, per server, versus how much leaves via gold sinks? i’m not saying it’s perfectly balanced, but i’m saying it’s probably wise to give ANet the benefit of the doubt when we’re so incredibly ignorant of the situation.

first off, the only really necessary gold sinks are waypoints, and even those can be parred down to minimal. re-traiting is cheap enough to do it every dungeon. the mystic forge doesn’t give you anything but skins (and i guess mystic kits but those are cost effective, i think). 15% sales tax, since it’s applied to the seller, IS MOST LIKELY TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT WHEN THE PRICE IS DECIDED. it’s the same as like a payroll tax; in theory, you and your employer are matching contributions. but usually your employer has budgeted so that his “contribution” is taken into account when he’s deciding what to pay you. undercuts are a problem, but they’re going to be a problem as long as we have a trading post. if you don’t like it, there are plenty of people who buy and sell expensive goods in bulk via mapchat. you’re paying for convenience.

crafting swaps have the heftiest pricetag because there is no good reason to be swapping crafting disciplines around. also, if you had thought ahead at all, you could’ve leveled crafting on a brand new char. i think the only drawback to this may be that the legendary crafting gifts are soulbound on acquire, which, if true, is a very narrow drawback. but several others have pointed this out already.

in Crafting

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Pretty sure legendary gifts are account bound.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Please remove limits on the number of crafting professions you can have. All it does is punish people who want to learn more crafts. /sarcasm

in Crafting

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

Please remove limits on the number of crafting professions you can have. All it does is punish people who want to learn more crafts. /sarcasm

Done.

in Crafting

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

“Just learn 2 from each alts, why is that so hard? You have 5 character slots, and 4 characters can learn all 8 without having to change and pay 40 silver fee ever. Please stop complaining such trivial things. There are many other bigger problems and bugs in this game that should be solved.”

This. Exactly.

Unlike other MMOs I have played, GW2 puts no impediments on parking an alt in a crafting zone and letting them create items until they drop from exhaustion. Those 5 character slots allow you to easily cover all of the available crafts; I really don’t see the problem here. In fact, the inventory/crafting system positively encourages alt crafting!

There are definitely irritating gold sinks in this game, but the the fee to switch crafts is so easily worked around that it’s hardly relevant.

in Crafting

Posted by: ItGamer.1742

ItGamer.1742

40 silver. It is not that big of a deal. Do you want to know how to get 40 silver? Go to balzeridge and farm all the gold there turn them into ingots and sell them! In the trading post. Ta-da! Nodes refresh a hour from the mining time ie. mine node 1 at 2pm go back at 3pm its there again. I say mine gold bc they are the most expensive ones next to ori. The highest profit. If you mine the map 3 times it is over 60silver. Tested as of oct 22. And if you want, as you are running around you can collect the other minaral ores that are in the area. Do I think the 40 silver transfer cost is a good idea? NO. Only b.c I am cheap and have to swindle it by coming up with other ways to cancel that cost. Like the gold mining. I am a man about making profit and this economic game can either make you or bankrupt you it’s the way you play it and the moves you go with.

Level 80 – Sexy Norn Thief
Level 400 – Jewler – Huntsman – Leatherworker
Turning a 2 gold production into a 5 gold profit FTW baby!

in Crafting

Posted by: Wobels.1679

Wobels.1679

it all goes to the same collections wich can be managed by any toon on the account.. make a alt farm with ur main if you dont want to lvl the alt up to farm craft your stuff bank it pull it out on the main.. its not that big of a deal and easy way around the 40s fee

in Crafting

Posted by: Fyrehawk.1674

Fyrehawk.1674

In my opinion Arenanet’s stance makes little logical sense from a pure mechanical standpoint. A number of poster’s have commented on the relative immateriality of the 40 silver cost because it can be easily circumvented via craft-focused alternates. But when I read such statements, rather than defending the 40 silver cost it actually highlights the irrelevancy of this switching fee.

Correct me if I am wrong, but any low level alternate can learn a profession all the way up to 400 with no other restrictions. Assuming this to be true, what does the 40 silver cost really achieve when any player can bridge their crafting requirements by utilising one of their character slots for a craft-focused alternate? For many players such utilisation could be inconsequential because they are not using, or planning to use, all 5 available slots.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

The thing is, this fee is completely pointless.
I am a master crafter, yet I’ve spread my crafting skills amongst my characters, meaning I simply have to log the right one to make something. It’s a minor inconvenience, yet it completely saves me spending silver, making the so-called “money sink” irrelevant.
If it’s irrelevant, it’s not doing it’s job, therefore GET RID OF IT.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Crafting

Posted by: Voltic.6912

Voltic.6912

Glad I saw this post, I was about to ask what it cost to switch between crafts and if I should spread them out among alts instead of having them all on one character.

I would prefer to have them all on one char but based on this post, I’m gonna spread it out.

in Crafting

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

It’s quite easy to level all the crafts to maximum on lower-level alts, (and the alts get a good few levels out of it) so rather than being a gold sink the fee just serves as a deterrent to doing everything on one character. You don’t even need to stick to one character for the “Master Crafter” title.

I suspect the intent isn’t to provide another gold sink, but to give crafters a reason to play more characters.

in Crafting

Posted by: ArcViper.8613

ArcViper.8613

Pretty much what Aufero said. Nothing is Soulbound on Acquire anyways so just use alts for your various crafting skills. I must admit that it does seem like a fairly pointless limitation because of the easy workaround, but I don’t see why you would complain about it either.

I am curious about Anet’s reasoning behind the fee though.