Putting 40 exotic level 80 Staffs into the Mystic Forge and guess what happened?

Putting 40 exotic level 80 Staffs into the Mystic Forge and guess what happened?

in Crafting

Posted by: Anatolian Turk.4057

Anatolian Turk.4057

I’m a level 80 Norn Elementalist and like everybody else my goal is to craft my first legendary weapon ‘the Biofrost’. Couple of hours ago i put 40 exotic staffs into the mystic forge costing me well over 100g and guess what? I Got nothing.

Guild Wars 2 (GW2) is a great game and it requires a lot of farming and grinding no questions about that BUT today that wasn’t even enough to get what i wanted. I spent so much of my time farming for gold and losing everything less than a minute in the mystic forge is heart breaking. It was a gamble i know that but i didnt have any other choice at the emd. How was i suppose to get the precursor anyway? Some people told me to buy the precursor from the Trading Post (TP) but the prices on the TP is ridicules. the precursor ‘The Legend’ is 400g on the TP which is unbelievably high.

Anyway from today onwards im going to a break from GW2 i dont know how long thats going to be. i guess time will tell. And i would like to hear your stories, suggestions or opinions. Sorry for the long post. Thanks

Honourable Guardian | Desolation
Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

in Crafting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

You could collect mats and make the rare staves yourself, for free. It’s also how I plan on getting up to 250 ectos. I’m huntsman so I’m doing it with rifles and pistols (and going to throw shortbows I make myself into the forge) so you could do it with staves on artificing or whatever makes staves.

in Crafting

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I feel for you bro…

in Crafting

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

Gamble, no.
Sadly, best suggestion is, buy it. If you are legit player, its hard and as StormageddonBK.9842 said , i feel you bro.

in Crafting

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Investing time and energy into something that doesn’t produce anything in return will always be devastating. We live in a world where we see and experience incremental progress in everything we do.

Gambling is entirely mathematical. When you’re dealing with probabilities you have to expect that you will get nothing.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

The RNG in this game is well over the top. I have no problem with having to work hard to get items, but gambling at some mystic forge is not fun. It stinks of lazy design to me. Legendary weapons should have epic quest chains, tough encounters, difficult and even costly materials to obtain. Farming and such should be par for the course, but throwing a bunch of stuff into the forge and crossing your fingers should not be a major part of this game.

Ultimately, hard work and dedication should be enough for people to obtain the legendary they require. It should not need all of that plus a HUGE amount of luck in the mystic forge. I seriously hope Arenanet thinks twice about the RNG in because it is actually the single worst part of the game.

in Crafting

Agemnon.4608

The RNG in this game is well over the top. I have no problem with having to work hard to get items, but gambling at some mystic forge is not fun. It stinks of lazy design to me. Legendary weapons should have epic quest chains, tough encounters, difficult and even costly materials to obtain. Farming and such should be par for the course, but throwing a bunch of stuff into the forge and crossing your fingers should not be a major part of this game.

Ultimately, hard work and dedication should be enough for people to obtain the legendary they require. It should not need all of that plus a HUGE amount of luck in the mystic forge. I seriously hope Arenanet thinks twice about the RNG in because it is actually the single worst part of the game.

It has all of that, plus the over the top RNG. Just the 250 vials of powerful blood alone are expensive, nevermind the (literally) over a thousand totems you’ll need to transform into elaborates (and potent bloods into powerful, and large into armored scales…) for the mats, which gets expensive itself but is still nevertheless more cost effective than buying the mats directly and saves on farming time.

in Crafting

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

I’ll just give out a simple secret that eventually comes with age and amount of games played, but also with a certain knowledge of programming and how games are made.

Nothing in a game is worth spending the money and time you spend on it.

Spending months of your life and a few paychecks on a skin created by some modeller in a few hours? Or on a few numbers that describe your next end-game item with +5 more stats? It is not worth it. It’s just smoke and mirrors, an illusion, it doesn’t really exist. Just get as much enjoyment as possible from playing through the story and exploring the world and end it there, then you won’t be, hopefully, so disappointed.

in Crafting

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

It makes me feel really bad when i see topic like this , and see some “other” ways to get to same result.
One positive thing here is , there are ppl who are willing still to give a hand of help to legit players like OP to reach the goal.

in Crafting

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

It doesn’t have all that…. there are no epic quest chains associated to the legendary items. A few explore mode runs maybe, but hardly “hey, this event/quest is unique to getting <insert legendary item name>”.

I’m not sure if you can feed token-based exotic dungeon staves into the forge, but if there was a formula that was like 4 staves (or whatever precursor weapon type you’re trying to get), each from a different dungeon = precursor. I mean, you still have to get 1200 or so tokens which is a lot, but at least removes less RNG for more challenge.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

I don’t even understand why is there a need for such extreme RNG? did devs run out of ideas and this was the easiest way out of it? why not just increase amount of materials required to make legendary more if you just want to extend grind.

I am down with that, i will collect more materials but i despise this RNG nonsense.

Whatever happened to ‘GW2 is all about fun’ and not frustrating players like other MMOS.

And before someone says its optional….. GW2 revolves around vanity items and for many many players this is their end game. So they could care less if legendary are optional or not.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

(edited by Mickey.4207)

in Crafting

Anatolian Turk.4057

Thats the thing i dont understand… spending time doing events, wvw, pvp, dungeons isnt that enough. Why do you need luck to get the precursor? IMHO for someone to get the precursor should be based on how much time and effort they put into the game NOT by chance or luck. I put so much effort and spent 10 hours every day (since the three day head start) farming for gold, items, mats etc and what happened at the end i lost everything. It hurts but thats problem i need to deal with. Hope Arnet looks into this.

Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

in Crafting

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

Thats the thing i dont understand… spending time doing events, wvw, pvp, dungeons isnt that enough. Why do you need luck to get the precursor? IMHO for someone to get the precursor should be based on how much time and effort they put into the game NOT by chance or luck. I put so much effort and spent 10 hours every day (since the three day head start) farming for gold, items, mats etc and what happened at the end i lost everything. It hurts but thats problem i need to deal with. Hope Arnet looks into this.

Exactly!!

This whole thing seems to be designed to push players more towards the CS I mean for someone who lost 100 gold over this…he might breakdown and just end up buying gems to convert them to gold instead of farming it all over again.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

in Crafting

Bruno Sardine.2907

It’s kinda funny that while everyone lambasted D3 for it’s RMAH system, GW2 basically did the same thing… The difference being RNG (and prices) for skins rather than stats.

in Crafting

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I’m a level 80 Norn Elementalist and like everybody else my goal is to craft my first legendary weapon ‘the Biofrost’. Couple of hours ago i put 40 exotic staffs into the mystic forge costing me well over 100g and guess what? I Got nothing.

Guild Wars 2 (GW2) is a great game and it requires a lot of farming and grinding no questions about that BUT today that wasn’t even enough to get what i wanted. I spent so much of my time farming for gold and losing everything less than a minute in the mystic forge is heart breaking. It was a gamble i know that but i didnt have any other choice at the emd. How was i suppose to get the precursor anyway? Some people told me to buy the precursor from the Trading Post (TP) but the prices on the TP is ridicules. the precursor ‘The Legend’ is 400g on the TP which is unbelievably high.

Anyway from today onwards im going to a break from GW2 i dont know how long thats going to be. i guess time will tell. And i would like to hear your stories, suggestions or opinions. Sorry for the long post. Thanks

This is terrible I don’t even know what to say to this one.

You obviously didnt care about your 100g at all. If you bought all exotics to see if you got your precursor. You bet the whole house and mortgage and car and cats and dogs on 1 ticket basically.

Its your own fault sorry. If you did any kind of research even a little bit you would have seen it would have been much more beneficial to buy level 80 rares and resell anything that came out you didnt want so you can keep up. I don’t know what you where thinking with this stunt.

Its RNG you are not the first and wont be the last sadly.

Bonus info- Bitfrost, Twilight, Quip, Bolt, Sunrise, etc.

Legendary = Special effets

Stats = Exotic. You where not forced throw you gold away remember that. It was not needed to progress in the game or to participate in any of content at all. You could have bought

Pearl bezerker staff for 2g of tp and it have the same stats. Remember that.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Crafting

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

I don’t even understand why is there a need for such extreme RNG? did devs run out of ideas and this was the easiest way out of it?

Hm maybe NCSoft told them to make it similar to Aion?

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

in Crafting

Bruno Sardine.2907

@ oZii

I mean… 40 exotic staves and 100g is a serious commitment of time and effort for a casual game. RNG is RNG I know… but there’s a difference between RNG 50/50 chance and RNG 1/1000 chance.

Yes, maybe Anet doesn’t want everyone running around with Twilights and Bifrosts and such… but making the barrier one of insane farming and RNGs rather than insane challenges seems to go against the very design philosophy which Anet and so many people staunchly support.

in Crafting

Posted by: Xym.9417

Xym.9417

Look, the economy in this game is simple. It needs people to put materials in the Mystic Forge and get much much MUCH less in return. It is the only way most materials leave this game. GW2 is a decent game, but the economy (and the mechanics behind it) is horrid. Not fun unless you enjoy betting on roulette with a wheel with 1,000,000 numbers instead of 36 (38?).

Now since you don’t “need” these items, there is no big issue. I do wish they had a useful economy though. Useful material sinks, perhaps something totally wild and unthinkable like crafted siege or upgraded keeps that require materials as well as gold.

in Crafting

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

So, a simple solution:

4 exotic (weapon) each from 4 dungeons will give you the precursor

ie, run arah until you get enough tokens for 4 staves. Put them all into the mystic forge and get a “special” arah exotic staff. Do that for 3 other dungeons (the 3 highest level ones). Put those 4 “special” exotic staves into the mystic forge and get Legend

That’s a medium grind, but it is guaranteed. Make it all bind on aquire and someone will have to do it all themselves. 390 tokens per staff = 1560 tokens per dungeon. At 180/day tokens, about 9 days of 3x dungeon runs (for each of 4 dungeons).

With the added bonus of motivating people to run dungeons more.

in Crafting

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

Listen, i’m sorry for your loss, OP. I really am.

But I’m going to point out the many ways that this was more of just an awful, awful choice on your part, and hopefully turn this into a learning experience.

Let’s start with the staves. You mention 40 L80 exotic staves, at “well over 100g”, but let’s just say 100g. This is 2.5g/staff.

I’m not somewhere where I can currently log onto GW2, but a quick look on GW2spidy and I already found a staff that sells for 1.7g, level 80 Exotic. 40 of them at around this price would have cost you 68g, netting you already 32g in cost savings if you had bought your original staves. Even if you already HAD them, selling them would’ve acquired you 100g * .85 (sales tax) = 85g. Still significant cost savings.

If you had a bit more patience, I note the BUY order for the cheapest L80 exotic staves hovers around 1-1.5g. You can probably steadily acquire them for 1.25g on average, multiplied by the 40 staves you want, is 50g. It’ll take longer to buy them, as you have to wait for players to fill your buy order, but steadily spreading your buys over a week or more could’ve saved 50% of the cost.

A step further, I note the buy order of several L78 exotic staves are ~80s. The buy order of the L80 staves are, as before, ~1.25g.

One gamble of the L80 staves @1.25g each = 5g
One gamble of the L78 staves @80s each = 3.2g

Both types of gamble will return a guaranteed L80 exotic. The mean value of a random L80 exotic, from forge, from personal experience is ~1.75g. That means the mean expected cost of using L80s is ~3.25g, while the mean cost of 78s would be ~1.45g.

Perhaps the precursor chance of the L78s is lower than 80s, but consider that the average cost per attempt is less than half, and that BOTH ways have already been proven to generate precursors.

(edited by LFk.1408)

in Crafting

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

I could go on and on about this, but this is case in point about my primary argument concerning this whole precursor topic.

People are making poor decisions, and then blaming them on ANet. Yes, the system is a little stacked, but I think the problem skews WAY to the players’ end, and far less to the game’s end.

None of the methods above are ways I endorse getting a precursor at ALL, as I still feel they are an absolute loss, but certainly are much cheaper than the gamble terms that were stated in the original post.

To Anatolian: I hope this helps you look at your choices with slightly more clarity in the future, and good luck with getting the legend!

(edited by LFk.1408)

in Crafting

Posted by: Varl.3269

Varl.3269

I feel your pain, I’ve spent over 150g worth of rare hammers trying to get the Juggernaught precursor. And this was with being smart, placing buy orders, buying them cheap, etc. The worst part about it is that I am not any closer to getting it than when I started, that money is just gone. The hammer is around 300g now, and if I had saved my money I would be half way there. Instead I’m broke with nothing to show for it.

I have almost everything else I need, including the expensive Icy Runestones, lodestones, and the huge karma timesink done, but with no precursor none of it matters. I have no motivation to farm 300 gold now to buy this stupid thing, and the thought of throwing more hammers in the forge and crossing my fingers is depressing. I will probably just give up at this point.

in Crafting

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

Just to offer some other pointers, you absolutely should go after precursor before anything else. Going after t6 (stabilized to cost dirt cheap), ecto (will never vary past 12s-18s), coins (super cheap whenever monthly is available for completion), icy runestones (price is constant), ores/wood/etc (stable with sufficient supply), etc is just not smart. Those should all be saved till much later. Having discussed about legendary making process with another individual that’s half way through a second legendary, the points agreed on in terms of monetary necessities are

-Always save for precursor first, whether it’s to gamble via forge or to buy outright.

-Work on Lodestones second. This is something I did not do, and I’m now paying for it with spiked charge lodestone prices

-Work on everything else.

You always want to get rid of the components that’s the most unstable. That is the correct way to go about building a legendary. I’ve seen so many that finished gift of fortune and “legendary name” first. Note that the amount of money you spent on those 2 gifts would equate to a precursor. With the price of charged lodestones, my gift of bolt would cost more than a precursor at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

You could collect mats and make the rare staves yourself, for free.

Yeah guys lets collect lots of mats(=GOLD) and make the staves for ‘FREE’.

Sorry, but people who say farming/gathering mats and making stuff yourself makes the item ‘free’ just annoys me, it’s beyond stupid.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dredlockrasta.8269

Dredlockrasta.8269

Been trying to make twilight/dawn for the last month. I probably used over 5000 rare 80 swords all together. Wasted over 100g, and then I just gave up trying to forge it.

Then I used the remaining money I had ~35g to try and get a scythe skin from the black lion chests, and got 0 skins.

I am a statistic, screw RNG in this game.

in Crafting

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Just to offer some other pointers, you absolutely should go after precursor before anything else. Going after t6 (stabilized to cost dirt cheap), ecto (will never vary past 12s-18s), coins (super cheap whenever monthly is available for completion), icy runestones (price is constant), ores/wood/etc (stable with sufficient supply), etc is just not smart. Those should all be saved till much later. Having discussed about legendary making process with another individual that’s half way through a second legendary, the points agreed on in terms of monetary necessities are

-Always save for precursor first, whether it’s to gamble via forge or to buy outright.

-Work on Lodestones second. This is something I did not do, and I’m now paying for it with spiked charge lodestone prices

-Work on everything else.

You always want to get rid of the components that’s the most unstable. That is the correct way to go about building a legendary. I’ve seen so many that finished gift of fortune and “legendary name” first. Note that the amount of money you spent on those 2 gifts would equate to a precursor. With the price of charged lodestones, my gift of bolt would cost more than a precursor at the moment.

Precursor for last simply because they will only go down in price tbh, like I’ve seen with many precursor I’ve been looking for at least…Also got a really strong feeling Anet will do something about it. I’d feel incredibly stupid if I buy it for 400g and the next week Anet: ‘there you got a fixed recipe for a precursor 100g gl hf’
Making all my gifts 1st then leaving precursor for last since it’s just ONE item left. I can sell all my rares and whatever to get all the gold needed…

And untill Anet hasn’t made an official reply on it then I’ll just keep collecting gold untill they change it(if they change it, good, if not, then I’ll just keep going) or I have ~400g. ATM this is smarter imo.

in Crafting

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

@ oZii

I mean… 40 exotic staves and 100g is a serious commitment of time and effort for a casual game. RNG is RNG I know… but there’s a difference between RNG 50/50 chance and RNG 1/1000 chance.

Yes, maybe Anet doesn’t want everyone running around with Twilights and Bifrosts and such… but making the barrier one of insane farming and RNGs rather than insane challenges seems to go against the very design philosophy which Anet and so many people staunchly support.

It’s quite amazing how so many people are pro life wasting. I value my time, and i am also working on my Bifrost. But seeing so many threads of people throwing in exotics and get nothing in return is a bit discouraging. And not just to get the precursor, or the legendary, but discouraging to play the game entirely. Out of 300+ people in my guild, 50 casually log in, out of those 50, 20 are active. Other 250+ people just quit the game, and 100 of them being lvl 80.

I agree that acquiring the legendary should not be easy. Hell, if Anet handed us the precursor on a silver platter you would still have a lot of things to collect to get to the legendary.
Seeing someone putting 40 exotics, because the official info about it is that exotics will give you a greater chance at getting the precursor, and not getting anything out of it is just sad. Some will argue that it is bad game design, which i agree on since this could be resolved and designed in a much better way just by looking other video games both MMOs and single player, and yet some will defend the current method, which is ok too. We agree to disagree. But i value my time, and i’d rather not waste months of gathering materials for it all to go down the drain. Same goes for giving someone else my hard earned gold. I don’t want to give that person my XYZ hours spent on gathering gold the honest way, and i will not indulge such a system. I would rather get the whole legendary on my own, the way it was meant to, instead of just buying it.

If you don’t think that OP’s reason to maybe quit the game to do something better and more rewarding with his/her time, after spending a lot of hours either gathering 100g or crafting the staves himself/herself and getting no results of progress, i honestly feel sorry for you.

Personally, i am not going to try getting The Legend via Mystic Forge, or buying it from the Trade Post. if the rest of the mats sit in my bank until the end of time, so be it, but i will not participate in this sick joke of a RNG. The leveling process was amazing and i enjoyed the game very much, very well worth the $60 i’ve spent on it and got to experience features it had to offer.

in Crafting

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

You could collect mats and make the rare staves yourself, for free.

Yeah guys lets collect lots of mats(=GOLD) and make the staves for ‘FREE’.

Sorry, but people who say farming/gathering mats and making stuff yourself makes the item ‘free’ just annoys me, it’s beyond stupid.

I agree with you. A lot of people don’t really get the concept of time = money. Nothing is for “free”. Everything in GW2 revolves around gold, TP and “economy”, because there is no decent way for anything you need to drop in a healthy amount, for the good of the economy.

The should change their manifesto from “we want you to have fun. We want to make the player matter!” to “We want you to understand there are gold sinks. It’s good for the Economy – the only thing that matters.”

And then play that South park episode with the Economy.

I am honestly not surprised people are resorting to +500% Magic Find hacks, mentioned in that reddit post.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

ANet has screwed up so bad with this kitten it’s unbelievable.

It’s either be a hacker/botter, extremely lucky….or go home.

Legendaries are obviously designed for everybody to pursue (hence they are an account-wide achievement). But they really have to find a better solution to this Precursor BS, it’s game breaking and is discouraging a lot of people from playing.

I’m still a far cry from my Legendary but I fear the moment when the Precursor is the only item left on my list. I doubt I’ll have the money to buy it…..and after all these stories I refuse to gamble on it.

That’s just a kittened up system and the poorest implementation of endgame in any MMO to date.

This kitten would be hard to sell even in Korea.

in Crafting

Posted by: Tweek.3190

Tweek.3190

Did you really think 40 staves would be enough? If it was that easy to get a precursor it would never have gone up to 400g in the tp.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

@ oZii

If the barrier doesn’t exclude people, is it a barrier?

Why should any casual player think it is unfair that they did not get one of the rarest weapon skins in the first 2 months the game was out? Shouldn’t this require a year or more?

Why are poeple so fixated on the mystic forge instead of the chest from Claw of Jormag or the Orrian Temples? Fight dragons for a chance at it if you want an epic accomplishment; throw excess loot in the mystic forge if you want more chances than those schedules allow.

Edit: Why does having an accomplishment associated with it make it expected that everyone will get one? Other games feature accomlpishements for world firsts, participation in activities that no longer exist, and other similarly exclusive events. Your accomplishments should be a list of things you have done—certainly this merits notice, but the fact that it can be done should not be taken as evidence that it is expected for everybody.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

(edited by Fildydarie.1496)

in Crafting

Posted by: obiemvy.5632

obiemvy.5632

I’m pretty sure putting in rares is more cost efficient… sure your chances are lower, but you could get a valuable exotic back! which you could sell to get more rares to put into the forge, which could give you another exotic! … and so on and so forth.

Putting exotics in may be a faster route, but it’s definitely the more expensive option too. Which makes it more dissapointing when you don’t get what you want in the end.

in Crafting

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

Precursor for last simply because they will only go down in price tbh, like I’ve seen with many precursor I’ve been looking for at least…Also got a really strong feeling Anet will do something about it. I’d feel incredibly stupid if I buy it for 400g and the next week Anet: ‘there you got a fixed recipe for a precursor 100g gl hf’
Making all my gifts 1st then leaving precursor for last since it’s just ONE item left. I can sell all my rares and whatever to get all the gold needed…

And untill Anet hasn’t made an official reply on it then I’ll just keep collecting gold untill they change it(if they change it, good, if not, then I’ll just keep going) or I have ~400g. ATM this is smarter imo.

If you are assuming ANet will put forth another method to obtain a precursor, then yes it’s better to wait. I’m not making that assumption. From going through the entire legendary making process and nearing the end, 300g for a precursor is about right. For most of the legendaries, the gift of “legendary name” cost more than the precursor itself. Also keep in mind it’s not just 1 item. It’s about the % of total cost, and the precursor is usually 35-50%% of the total cost, legendary pending. So it’s not just “one” item.

Additionally, going for precursor also allows you to do what you want at the moment: stock up on resources. This allows you to look for deals/look for trends to make a profit off. It is not necessary to spent money on listed pricings. You can easily put in an order that you feel is fair and go from there. If you think a certain precursor is only worth 250g, then you will get one at the price if the market agrees with you. You can even put an order at 100g if you feel that’s all it’s worth. Maybe one day the market will agree with you at the price line.

It may feel like you are making progress as you slowly build the other pieces, but from personal experience, my road to legendary only started to become clear after I obtained my precursor. You could have all 3 components and no precursor, or you could be where i’m at right now, everything except 100 runestones, which has a set price, and I have a very good estimate when I will finish.

Hopefully this is useful in someway.

TJL

(edited by ryokoalways.3450)

in Crafting

Posted by: Slick Ling.6451

Slick Ling.6451

What are legends without the stories behind them?

in Crafting

Posted by: neoxide.7320

neoxide.7320

So you attempted to turn 4 exotics into a precursor 10 times… And you’re crying because precursor didn’t drop for you? If precursors dropped for you it would have a 10% drop rate. If it had a 10% drop rate they wouldn’t be worth what they are today and wouldn’t be legendary.

I’ve gotten 2 precursors myself and in between them, it’s taken thousands of forges. So maybe try more than 10 before crying about it, or use a cheaper method.

in Crafting

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

you know, for people saying getting a legendary shouldn’t be about RNG, in essence it could not be.

You spending 100g on stuff and gambling it on Mystic Forge = RNG effect

You saving up that 100g, using the money to play TP, and earn another 200g+ to buy the bifrost on TP = hard work + time + effort. No mess no fuzz. And it seems prices are stabilizing at this price range (which, while it seems ridiculous, there’s no other way to get it without feeling cheated by a casino). Sure it takes longer, but it certainly removes the RNG element of your legendary-making process, thereby supposedly satisfying your initial requirements.

If people can farm 100g just to gamble it away, I find no reason they can’t farm another 200g. Oh wait, I can, it’s because they are either a.) a bit more impatient than initially thought oneself to be or b.) feel that the price of the precursor is supposedly at 100g and spending 100g entitles him to a precursor.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

40 exotics costing 100g.

And you are no more closer than me who has put in 0 exotics and 0g.

What a good system.

in Crafting

Agemnon.4608

“Yeah guys lets collect lots of mats(=GOLD) and make the staves for ‘FREE’.

Sorry, but people who say farming/gathering mats and making stuff yourself makes the item ‘free’ just annoys me, it’s beyond stupid."

Yeah but you are only buying T5 mats, if any. Mithril and elder are quite abundant. At least you aren’t throwing your vendor trash/DE money down the drain, that’s where it really adds up over time (not counting the DE reward itself you could get like 6s-25s per chain depending on if you’re grouped, what time of day, etc) ’

The idea is you keep your gold but manufacture your own forge fodder instead.

in Crafting

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

Its things like this that make me think twice about not only playing this game, but crafting in general….

Farming seems out of the question as well. Why play by the rules when those who don’t make it so hard?

Just buy the gold with RL Money, or forget about getting legendarys….

in Crafting

Anatolian Turk.4057

i didnt just buy all the exotics from the tp and put in the MF. Some of them were crafted (400 Artificer), and at the end, i even put the most expensive level 80 exotics staffs like the Deathwish and some other ones that i got from loots and map completion. What is done is done. i know it really hurt me back then but im slowly moving on. Thanks for your replies.

Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

in Crafting

Posted by: Sadomator.6419

Sadomator.6419

Another whiner blames Anet, omg xD

Dude, gambling at Mystic Forge is an OPTION, you don’t have to do that. If all precursors are easy to get, that’s NOT a legendary.

Garl Vinnland – Guardian
Stormbluff Isle

in Crafting

Posted by: KodChim.5670

KodChim.5670

If you spent over 100g and only ended up with 40 staves then you’ve already wasted a lot of money.

And it’s a complete waste when people forge all the left over items without checking to see how much they can sell for. Sell them and buy more of the cheaper items, that way you get more chances.

The mf really isn’t that expensive if you use it wisely.

in Crafting

Posted by: Anatax.3905

Anatax.3905

Seriously people don’t waste so much time and energy following this gamblers dream. There are tons of cool things to do in this game. Don’t let the RNG system be the White Whale that you are forever hunting and depressed over. Best thing in this game is WVW, when you reach 80, beat all the dungeons, get all your exotic sets, and have nothing better to do than farm gold to throw into the Mystic Forge. Come join your server on the battlefields and slay your enemies with all that gear. It’s a huge amount of fun.

CmdrThrennAirborne,Eraticks,Lsion,Anataxis
Guild member of Rethisis, proud server soldier of Darkhaven.

in Crafting

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

Seriously people don’t waste so much time and energy following this gamblers dream. There are tons of cool things to do in this game. Don’t let the RNG system be the White Whale that you are forever hunting and depressed over. Best thing in this game is WVW, when you reach 80, beat all the dungeons, get all your exotic sets, and have nothing better to do than farm gold to throw into the Mystic Forge. Come join your server on the battlefields and slay your enemies with all that gear. It’s a huge amount of fun.

While I understand where you are coming from your making a big assumption here. You assume people who are trying to get a legendary haven’t participated in any other faucet of the game. I’m sure I am not alone when I say, I have utterly destroyed this game. WvW? I probably clock in 20+ hours of WvW a week alone if not more. I have ran every dungeon path into the ground, have all of exotic gear/weapons including rings/accessories etc. So naturally the only thing left for us to do is finish our legendaries.

in Crafting

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Not really cause you know halloween event? How did you do in the clock tower? You get any of the new skins just added cause legendaries are skins and so is the chainsaw greatsword. So you’ve already participated in Act 3 and 4 that no one else has? (insert halloween doesn’t interest me response) Tried those new mad king runes Anet just added? You know there is a big content update coming out in november right? Yup legendaries are the only thing to do in this game.

Its an excuse the bottom line is you want it. You want something that is not required or demanded of you. That is the problem with all these legendaries thread the game has been out 3 months and already had a semi content update with this halloween event adding new items and content.

Content update coming in November. I think people want something to call endgame so they can say they are top of the food chain. I just don’t get it.

Legendaries are there a few have them now. 100g he could have put together jormags breath for 65g and sold it for 100g+ or been one of the rare few that had the icy dragon sword. I don’t even see people running around with the unique exotics that look great and that cost 1/3 of a legendary.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

So the op thought he could spend 100g and get something valued at 300-400g on the trading post, and was then super disappointed that it didn’t work out?

If you could reliably get a precursor for a 100g investment, they’d mostly cost about 100g.

I mean, seriously, 40 items is 10 attempts. There are more than 10 exotic staves, so why should anyone reasonably expect to get the one precursor out of only 10 tries?

Whatever can be said about the RNG aspect of getting precursors, it doesn’t change the fact that this particular complaint is a lot like buying $100 in lottery tickets and then being really upset that none of them were winners.

in Crafting

Posted by: Froydis.8257

Froydis.8257

i seriously feel for you too bro….although i’ve encountered something similar, or worse…

I spent more than 12 attempts on the mystic clover’s 10 recipe and got literally no clovers out of 12 attempts of 33% chance lol….

after calculation, getting none out of 12 attempts only happenes with a 0.8% chance….and yes…that happened to me.

maybe we’re abandoned by god lol

Frustrated and sad….yes I am

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

Yours is at least a truly unlucky situation.

No precursors after 10 attempts, on the other hand, is something we’d expect to happen at least 35% of the time, and that’s if the drop rate is something absurd like 10%. By most accounts, the exotics → precursors rate seems to be closer to 1%, in which case 10 consecutive failures can be expected more than 90% of the time.

The original poster was upset and hurt not to be one of the top 10% luckiest players in the game, in other words.

in Crafting

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Yours is at least a truly unlucky situation.

No precursors after 10 attempts, on the other hand, is something we’d expect to happen at least 35% of the time, and that’s if the drop rate is something absurd like 10%. By most accounts, the exotics -> precursors rate seems to be closer to 1%, in which case 10 consecutive failures can be expected more than 90% of the time.

The original poster was upset and hurt not to be one of the top 10% luckiest players in the game, in other words.

if the rate of exotics attempts to precursors is 1%
then they should expect the prices to be a lot higher than what they are now, that would mean youd need 3 exotics per attempt and 100 attempts for the average person, this means the average person youl spend 600 gold to get it. add a profit and you would be at 900 gold.

so yeah if they made it 1%, then they should not be surprised at the costs at all, in fact they should expect them to be higher

in Crafting

Posted by: Anhellbro.7210

Anhellbro.7210

only 40 exo? LOL im lost 2000 great Sword rare and 200+ exo GS. And 0