Putting 40 exotic level 80 Staffs into the Mystic Forge and guess what happened?

Putting 40 exotic level 80 Staffs into the Mystic Forge and guess what happened?

in Crafting

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Like i’ve said before and i’ll say again, make precursors acct bound and put in a recipe to make em that takes awhile to get the mats. The guy with the idea of 4 eoxtic token weapons from 4 dungeons is a pretty good idea. It will take awhile to amass that but you know there is an end in sight and an hour put into it is an hour gained. This will make em attainable to everyone. Just because its called “legendary” doesn’t mean that everyone shouldn’t be able to get one eventually.

Sinking a 100g tho into the MF and not getting the precursor in this current state really isnt much tho but i do feel ya. Now are the precursors worth 300-500g? Hell no but that’s the price the people “controlling” them are charging. Personally i believe the only people who can afford that kind of cash atm are gold farmers or people who live in moms basement and play 18 hours a day. So then you got those people buying the “cheap” ones and then just relisting em for a way overpriced amount. You guys get how this works i’m assuming.

Anyways like i said, make the precursors acct bound and a recipe and 90% of the arguments will stop except of course the price gougers who are trying to sell em…

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

If you introduce a fixed recipe, what does making them account bound achieve?

in Crafting

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

I am probably not going to bother with attempting for the legendary at the moment. It seems absolutely ridiculous on how much luck is needed to get them. Not skill, luck and grinding. At least the tormented weapons in GW1 could be guaranteed through a bit of hard work in a very hard instance.

in Crafting

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Dont forget at least 40% of the pop bot so there is that issue. Anet doesnt care and wont do anything about the issue. Leads me to believe why bother going for a legendary.
You will only waste time and money and dont have a chance against the cheaters.
Anet needs to really start stepping up and looking after things before the legit people decide to stop playing all together.

in Crafting

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

I’m at a crossroad myself.

Getting pretty burnt out from farming. I’ve taken a break the last few days, and find myself wanting to play less and less, especially farming. Every time i dump a bunch of greatswords or hammers into the forge and walk away with nothing, i gotta log out and not look at the game.

I dunno if i should just give up on the legendary or not at this point. I feel like if i give up, I might enjoy the game a bit more, but if I do, then I feel like not only is there 1 less goal, but all the money i’ve thrown away already would have been for nothing, not to mention the time farming karma and stuff for the clovers i made.

Done buying gems for now; i’m the kinda guy that gets suckered into micro transactions easily; spent several hundreds on league, and a like 50 bucks on keys already for this game, but its so unsatisfying buying these in gw2 since they are usually temporary boosts, town items (dumb) or RNG crap.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in Crafting

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Dont forget at least 40% of the pop bot so there is that issue. Anet doesnt care and wont do anything about the issue. Leads me to believe why bother going for a legendary.
You will only waste time and money and dont have a chance against the cheaters.
Anet needs to really start stepping up and looking after things before the legit people decide to stop playing all together.

Anet obviously don’t care about botters. Which is why they didn’t make a post about the new anti botting system thats coming online. Which has resulted in a bunch of bans already. Oh wait they did.

Then your counter will be well on my server I still see them farming cause your server is totally representative of the entire population of the game.

On my server I know when the halloween event came online I saw alot less bots running around actually none that first day. Just saying but the bots probably where doing the book scavenger hunt cause Anet didnt ban them cause they dont care.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Crafting

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone.

For the botting issue, please, check this thread, which contains an official statement made by Colin Johanson. Rest assured that the team takes botting very seriously and that all your reports make a difference.

Thanks!

in Crafting

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Unfortunately GW2 thinks that RNG is an achievement. That personally to me is BS. RNG is simply a random lucky win.

in Crafting

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Precursor system is pure garbage. There was a recent reddit thread by a guy that put 20000 rare level 80 weapons into the Forge and didn’t get a precursor. That’s 5000 combines.

He could easily put in another 20000 rares and still not get anything. This system is broken garbage and is completely ridiculous.

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

Precursor system is pure garbage. There was a recent reddit thread by a guy that put 20000 rare level 80 weapons into the Forge and didn’t get a precursor. That’s 5000 combines.

He could easily put in another 20000 rares and still not get anything. This system is broken garbage and is completely ridiculous.

I hope you do realize that 20000 rares by 15s a piece would cost 3000g. No one is going to buy your lie.

in Crafting

ChairGraveyard.2967

I hope you do realize that 20000 rares by 15s a piece would cost 3000g. No one is going to buy your lie.

Let me guess, you exploited yourself a bunch of precursors and free gold using the Godskull exploit cheat?

Thought so.

As far as I’m concerned, Godskull exploit cheaters such as yourself don’t even have a say in this.

in Crafting

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

There are people who have 3000g. Our guild leader got 2500g, not sure how he made them thought.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

Wxnko.8103:

Let me guess, you exploited yourself a bunch of precursors and free gold using the Godskull exploit cheat?

Thought so.

As far as I’m concerned, Godskull exploit cheaters such as yourself don’t even have a say in this.

Um, wat? You’re unwilling to acknowledge what the guy said because you decided (based on exactly nothing) that he must have exploited, and yet you’re willing to believe a guy on reddit had 3000g?

Because the reason doesn’t want to believe your post is the improbability of having 3000g, not the improbability of getting a precursor from that many combines.

And of course what any of this has to do with continued bitterness and whining about months-old Godskull exploits is way beyond me.

(edited by Hippocampus.8470)

in Crafting

ChairGraveyard.2967

More Godskull cheaters claiming the system is fine? I never would have guessed that would happen.

in Crafting

Hippocampus.8470

Who is claiming the system is fine? The guy you replied to didn’t. You were just a miserable failure at understanding his post, opting instead to throw around the ever-present Godskull accusation, because it’s apparently so much easier than even the most basic reading comprehension.

And for the record, I for one didn’t even download the game until after the whole Godskull fiasco, so you’ll have to come up with some other excuse to dismiss every point I made, as that one couldn’t possibly apply.

in Crafting

Posted by: yooms.4015

yooms.4015

Here is my suggestions to Anet how to try to make people happy/happier… (not that anyone cares or Anet will listen/respond..)

At least I have suggestions and not simply complaining about how much I don’t like this. So here it goes in hope I make any change..

- A fixed recipe in the mystic forge. The ingredients can be anything (example: 4 exotic staffs from dungons or 250 ancient staff heads and shafts + ectos and a gift) as long as its something to work for without the RNG, and a guaranteed precursor as a result. Something like the Halloween recipes.

- A recipe for crafting. Like the one we have seen for the Halloween exotics. I like this one the most because people can still sell it on the TP and get money for it if they so which.

- Sell the precursors for badges/karma/ own currency from a vendor.

- Sell for money at a vendor, this gives Anet the control of the prices of these precursors.

- A real way to get a steady money income. More money for daily/monthly achievement, or just remove the DR all together.

- Always drop one from a chest after the Orr temples/dragons/world bosses. More precursors in the system will hopefully lower the prices to something more reasonable.
Also this gives more instinctive to even do these events for other reasons then “fun”.
Right now they are often avoided because many feel there is no real reward of doing them more then once.

I don’t expect any of the changes suggesting making the precursors non trade-able to go trough, because that will make all those who spent 400g on one precursor feel screwed. But I hope Anet does remember that there is still a majority suffering because of these outrageous prices on the TP. Because there are no real good way to even make that kind of money in this game except playing “Tradig Post: the game”.
Not fun at all.

And IMO one element already does include horrid RNG… the mystic clovers.
And I think many will agree that they will happily farm wherever as long as they know they will have an guaranteed result. Remember that this precursor is still only one of many elements of making a a legendary.

And as many have said, legendary is one form of end-game, and this whole RNG thing for something end-game related just goes against Anets philosophy.
RNG is NOT fun.
Not when you have 1/10000 chance to get what you want. People need to feel its still rewarding enough to continue.

And stop with the crap and say hurr durr its optional, we all know that. But just because you might feel its not that important to you or you don’t want one, doesn’t mean others don’t.

I still have faith in that Anet are working on something, but how can we know? They are so silent about this

in Crafting

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

There’s 2 issues in this game that really bother me. For PvE its the precursor, and for PvP/WvW its the thief (mostly in wvw though where rendering issues completely negates restealth times giving them perma-invis)

I think i’m gonna blow all my gold tonight when i get off work and try for a precursor. if i get it, i’ll continue, if i don’t i’ll probably quit the game and be happier in the long run.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

There are people who have 3000g. Our guild leader got 2500g, not sure how he made them thought.

That wasn’t my point.

1) Who’s going to spend 3000g on trying to get a prec trough MF, when they can buy about 10 precs with the same money?
2) There is no such amount of similar rares on the market as 20000.
3) When you buy all 15s rares, you forced to buy remaining ones with gradually increasing cost, which means you’ll spend much more than 3000g.
4) There was no such buy, according to trade websites.
5) I can’t find topic on Reddit.

Raising 3000g is not that hard, I believe. You simply need to predict one big spike and invest all your money in it.
For example, investing like 300g in Vanilla Beans, Black Lion Chests or Giant Eyes, before they increase x10 times in price. It’s hard and risky, but absolutely possible.

in Crafting

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

I’m tired of wasting the hard earned money i make into exotics. Be it I create them or buy them. Then after I “hopefully” get a pre cursor i am after I got to spend ANOTHER 100g just to get the icy runes.. for the legendary. ON TOP of the other crap it takes to make the legendary. At the rate i am trying to get pre cursors i will never get my Legendary. kitten all the godskull hackers out there that made the prices of pre-cursors go up. You all can suck it. I wish Anet would comment on this matter but as it seems they won’t we are left to our own demise sadly… Yay /sarcasim

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in Crafting

Posted by: Zetoshi.5803

Zetoshi.5803

I don’t understand what the fuss is about.

Legendary

It’s self explanatory. You want something Legendary but you talk about wasting all your gold. If it’s all such a waste, let it go and spend it on something you feel is worth it.

Though obviously you all do think it is worth it or you wouldn’t be throwing your gold into it.

Either way – this topic isn’t any different from the usual QQ every mmorpg receives.

Why do you all think they aren’t making any official statements here? Because they don’t care. Because they shouldn’t care. If they answer your pleas here, you’ll find something else to collectively complain about. Wishing on a shooting star that they will give in.

You want something shiney, you’re not getting something shiney, you go to your parents and cry until they buy you something shiney.
That isn’t the way to go. Honestly.
Let the Legendary item have its worth.

Don’t bring it down to “yet another pretty thing” everyone has within weeks of starting the game. Why do you want everything to be common? Shouldn’t there be things so rare that owning them allows you to stand out?

Meh. My two cents.

in Crafting

Posted by: Delolith.9645

Delolith.9645

Really? 40 exotic weapons is like max 80g. Is that what you think 1/4th of the weapon should cost? Reconsider….thanks.

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

Legendary

It’s self explanatory. You want something Legendary but you talk about wasting all your gold. If it’s all such a waste, let it go and spend it on something you feel is worth it.

Though obviously you all do think it is worth it or you wouldn’t be throwing your gold into it.

Either way – this topic isn’t any different from the usual QQ every mmorpg receives.

Why do you all think they aren’t making any official statements here? Because they don’t care. Because they shouldn’t care. If they answer your pleas here, you’ll find something else to collectively complain about. Wishing on a shooting star that they will give in.

You want something shiney, you’re not getting something shiney, you go to your parents and cry until they buy you something shiney.

Don’t bring it down to “yet another pretty thing” everyone has within weeks of starting the game. Why do you want everything to be common? Shouldn’t there be things so rare that owning them allows you to stand out?

Meh. My two cents.

I think you’re missing the point. It’s not that the legendary is hard to get or takes time, it’s the fact that the precursor has absolutely nothing to do with “hard work”. It’s based purely on the luck of a RNG. I have no problem with it taking 2 or 3 or 4 months to get a legendary but i do have a problem with 1 guy putting in 1000 rares in the MF and getting nothing and the next guy putting in 4 rares and getting one. Take out the RNG factor in the precursors and make it about “work” and not a freakin roulette wheel called the mystic forge. And yes, a legendary is not something you NEED but after you have done 100% map, done all the dungeons and paths, maxed out crafting and don’t really play alts, it would be nice to have another goal to work to that you know you can actually get. Map completion isnt random, dungeons aren’t random, crafting isn’t random, why are the legendaries random?

And about a legendary being unique and people needing one to validate them being unique, get a life. Nothing about a legendary screams “im a unique snowflake”. All of it can be done solo as long as you live in moms basement and grind 18 hours a day to buy mats or farm karma/honor badges. Unique was getting a weapon or armor in other MMOs that took 24-40 people or in the case of a certain MMO from about 10 years ago, 80 man raids, all working together over months to finish raiding dungeons.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

in Crafting

Posted by: Ansi.1205

Ansi.1205

Rhok’delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers

It’s not legendary, it’s not GW2, but it’s a prime example of how things like this should be done.

All this RNG seems stupid – is putting oodles of expensive items in the forge and crossing your finger the only way of getting these items? I just started playing, so I’m a bit in the dark here.

That being said – OP, you pretty much knew exactly what you were getting in to right?

(edited by Ansi.1205)

in Crafting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Just do the precursor last, crafted rares unfortunately seem to have a lower ecto rate than dropped rares, but there’s still a chance for them to drop. Also, you could collect and sell mats before doing events to farm karma and vendor trash to sell. Or, if you’re absolutely going to buy the precursor do that first and then work on icy runestones.

in Crafting

Posted by: Anatolian Turk.4057

Anatolian Turk.4057

What is the point getting all your other stuff when you cant get the precursor? after all this are they still expecting me to put another 40 exotic staffs and cross my finger and hope for the best? thats not going to happen anymore. So what can i do? Nothing.

Honourable Guardian | Desolation
Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

in Crafting

Posted by: obiemvy.5632

obiemvy.5632

@Anatolian: You can save up and buy it off the TP… that is always an option, tho it would take a long time to save that much.

Would take me probably 2-3 months to save up for Dawn/Dusk. But I’m a relatively casual player. and in 2-3 months the prices could have changed, tho I would expect them to have fallen a bit by then.

in Crafting

Zetoshi.5803

Legendary

Meh. My two cents.

I think you’re missing the point. It’s not that the legendary is hard to get or takes time, it’s the fact that the precursor has absolutely nothing to do with “hard work”. It’s based purely on the luck of a RNG. I have no problem with it taking 2 or 3 or 4 months to get a legendary but i do have a problem with 1 guy putting in 1000 rares in the MF and getting nothing and the next guy putting in 4 rares and getting one. Take out the RNG factor in the precursors and make it about “work” and not a freakin roulette wheel called the mystic forge. And yes, a legendary is not something you NEED but after you have done 100% map, done all the dungeons and paths, maxed out crafting and don’t really play alts, it would be nice to have another goal to work to that you know you can actually get. Map completion isnt random, dungeons aren’t random, crafting isn’t random, why are the legendaries random?

And about a legendary being unique and people needing one to validate them being unique, get a life. Nothing about a legendary screams “im a unique snowflake”. All of it can be done solo as long as you live in moms basement and grind 18 hours a day to buy mats or farm karma/honor badges. Unique was getting a weapon or armor in other MMOs that took 24-40 people or in the case of a certain MMO from about 10 years ago, 80 man raids, all working together over months to finish raiding dungeons.

And when you get your legendary. What then? You’ll have accomplished it, fair enough. But what is your next goal? What will keep you playing?

If you only play for the goals or accomplishments the mechanics offer you, you’re not enjoying the game. You’re completing it, yes. But that in the end isn’t the purpose of the game.

Especially in a game like Guild wars. Which to me, has always been more about having fun with a group of people, playing PvP.

If you have the feeling you have nothing left to do in the game besides the legendary, why not put your focus on the WvW aspect? Set your own goals with a group of people in that part of the experience.
Then when you’ve met your goals there, get a fresh perspective on things. Read up on lore, create a character with a different race, class and story based choices.

I think it’s sad when players are so caught up in numbers and items that they lose track of other, again – in my opinion – important aspects.

Do you get anything you want in life with hard work? No. Some things in life ARE purely based on luck. It’s nice to see a game that reflects it in part.

in Crafting

Zetoshi.5803

The games I played in the past, have always had a lot of random luck incorporated in them when it comes to gear.

Games like Lineage 2, Cabal online, etc..

On Cabal Online, when the game originally came out, some crafts seemed impossible. You had items with LESS chance than a precursor “dropping” needed to be crafted just to be able to go to the next tier of your craft. Having to grind and grind the materials to try it all over again.

But people stuck to it and made a name of themselves as “the only person who can craft this amulet”.. or “the only person who can craft this armor piece” and it would create a lot of interaction with different people to offer them materials to attempt to create something for you, in turn allowing them to advance their crafts.

What this current system does on GW2, is create a market for otherwise “useless” rares and exotics on the TP, for players willing enough to buy them out and attempt to get precursors. That benefits the economy a great deal.

What it also does is counter inflation. Which is also a big positive.

It raises the value of legendary items. Adding a prestige level to them.
Yes players who invest real money can get them more easily than others, but if it’s mostly a cosmetic advantage, that seems to fit into the F2P cash shop concept perfectly.

If one single item is enough to make people ragequit the game, then they aren’t players who would become the core of the game 1 year from now. Let alone beyond that, so they might as well quit now. Especially if they can’t get over these issues this early after release.

edit important to add that eventually, things tend to work themselves out. No matter how low the odds seem to be now, with a player base of this size, these items will find a way to pop out more and more frequently in the future, lowering the prices.

in Crafting

Posted by: Schlaxi.2674

Schlaxi.2674

I guess all those who blame people who lost huge amounts of money to be whiners don’t get the point:

Gambling is not legendary. (That’s the message we want to deliver)

However, getting the legendary is risky business in any case:

1.) Throwing anything you have into the Mystic Forge and win some or lose all.

2.) Saving up everything you farmed and buy from the TP

3.) Get a less popular precursor when you can afford it

I opted for 2.) and because of that 3.) is already an option for me, but it involves the risk, that i will hate myself oneday for not going for the Longswords and getting something else instead.
And the risk involved in 2.) is, that when I got 400 gold sometime in 2013 (yeah, I have got a job and so on, so it won’t happen earlier) the price for a Dusk or Dawn will be 1200 gold.

So I have decided to take it easier on this on, although I want it bad, because as a businessman I am pretty sure the system won’t change, because all those who are desparately going after the legendary and want it ASAP will continue to throw their hard earned $$$/€€€ at ArenaNet.
And I could afford that too, but I made it kind of a principle for me not to spend more than 20€ per month on a game :-)

Officer & Event Coordinator @ [Reno] Renovatio – www.gilde-renovatio.com
Server: Elona Reach [DE]

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

No i play for fun too but i do like to goals to shoot for and stuff to do other than just mindless grinding. Legendaries give me that. Sure after i get a legendary, i might roll an alt but till then i focus on 1 toon. Been like that in all MMOs i’ve played the past 10+ years.

As for do you do get anything you want in life with hard work? I believe yes. If you set your mind to it, there is nothing you can’t do within reason of course. And comparing something like a 6 digit career or being president isn’t even in the same league as some pixel skin in a game. I mean really if i wanted a RNG to determine my advancement in a game, i’d play a number of korean MMOs like L2, Tera or Aion to name 3(which i did play all 3 for a very long time). And as you know if you played any of those, the RNG more or less killed those games unless you were someone with no life and had hundreds of hours to burn since to most people, time is money. Now i don’t mean gaming is a job but most people want to see some kind of return on an investment and if you spend 100 hours farming mats to throw in the mystic forge and you get absolutely nothing back(no precursor), will you really want to spend another 100 hours doing the same thing?

As for the "useless " exotics and rares, the mystic forge only contributes a very small market imo. Bigger market is breaking em down for globs of ecto which are used for all exotic jewelry and to make legendaries themselves.

Again, the whole prestige to a legendary is meh imo. Like i said before, if you are doing the legendary purely so you can say “look at me!!”, then you need to get out more often because no one really cares what you got in a game. I mean, hell if that’s what you’re after, you can pretty much buy a legendary with real life cash if you got a good job which im no condoning. I’m doing the legendary purely because i like the look and im OCD and want to fill in that missing spot on the character sheet plus like i said, it is something to shoot for and gives me something to work on when i log in and nothing is happening.

As for ragequitting over a legendary, i agree it’s alittle over the top. I mean after all it is only a skin and personally i think most of em are meh looking to begin with. But if they are made pretty much unattainable to 80% of the population unless you buy gold, play from moms basement 18 hours a day or get extremely lucky with the MF, i think people will eventually get bored. I mean the mats to make a legendary alone without the precursor are a nice little timesink but with a light at the end of the tunnel vs the precursor which is anyones guess, could get it in 1 try or could get it in 5000 tries. As for buying it, i dont see em coming down, i mean people amass more gold as the days go on, farmers will amass it faster, they will buy up all the low priced ones and then just relist em higher and higher. The price to list items is a 1 time cost and there is no expiration on listings. I mean i read on these forums somewhere that gold sellers are even starting to sell precursors for real life cash haha.

Anyways, enough rambling. I mean personally i think all this is really moot since if you’ve played MMOs as long as i have, you know that the “epic” or “ubah” loot is always made alot easier to get as time goes on. Example, EQ1 plane of time. Used to need to do all the progression which took months with a top shelf guild and then SOE ended up opening it up to everyone after a couple years. So worst case, legendaries will prolly be a dime a dozen in 6-8 months :p

Am I legendary yet!?

in Crafting

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

Being stupid with your money and making bad gambling decisions on the mystic forge is no reason to complain. Doing it the right way you can actually MAKE money gambling on precursors in the mystic forge even when you don’t get a precursor. Then when you hit on a precursor its big bucks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

Being stupid with your money and making bad gambling decisions on the mystic forge is no reason to complain. Doing it the right way you can actually MAKE money gambling on precursors in the mystic forge even when you don’t get a precursor. Then when you hit on a precursor its big bucks.

being vague in an attempt to insult the op, while trying to sound cool, is actually played out x.x

in Crafting

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

being vague in an attempt to insult the op, while trying to sound cool, is actually played out x.x

I’m not going to spoon feed my methods to the community so that my profit margins can dry up. Spend an hour or two figuring it out for yourself and share in the profits if you wish. I currently make in the range of -5silver to +90silver per combine while attempting to get precursors. Just buying up level 80 exotics off the TP and throwing them into the forge is stupid and no reason to complain when you fail.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

I’m not going to spoon feed my methods to the community so that my profit margins can dry up. Spend an hour or two figuring it out for yourself and share in the profits if you wish. I currently make in the range of -5silver to +90silver per combine while attempting to get precursors. Just buying up level 80 exotics off the TP and throwing them into the forge is stupid and no reason to complain when you fail.

ill pass, i already know how to make gold and do not need a get rich quick pyrmaid scheme, however that has almost nothing to do with the fact that the rate of precursors with exotics; which should have the highest chance of getting a precursor still sucks. no one asked you to spoon feed your methods as it would not even work if everyone knew it meaning it isnt really a solution, there are people who prob make a whole lot more gold than you do but know the MF system sucks, that gold/profit is no justification of the low rate at which the forge churns out pre cursors, i wonder what conclusion you would arrive at if and when your idea ceases to be profitable and the rate of precursors remain the same.

(edited by Ulquiorra.6903)

in Crafting

Posted by: Edenknight.9284

Edenknight.9284

I’m also a level 80 Elementalist – I have the Gift of Fortune, Gift of Bifrost, and everything except for ~400 WVW marks for Gift of Mastery.

I’ve worked very hard to collect everything, and now I’m just sitting here waiting for the Bifrost. Saving up 400g isn’t an option for the precursor and it seems ridiculous there isn’t something you can statically save for to get the precursor.

Between me and my girlfriend, we’ve put in around 300 (~75 attempts) of Exotic Staves and haven’t got a single precursor. It’s costed us all money we’ve accrued over playing -a lot- and we’re not even closer to the precursor as someone who just hit 80 as far as precursors go. I’m not sure how many more attempts we’re going to try this, the odds are plain ridiculous and who knows if we throw 300 more exotic staves if we’ll get a precursor.

And before you ‘optional’ people come in here and say it’s optional, you have no say until you have multiple level 80’s, 100% world complete, full sets of different dungeon gear/ exotic sets, etc. There isn’t much to do once that is all complete so legendary is what there is to do and it shouldn’t involve luck to this extent (mystic clovers were bad enough).

in Crafting

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Wait, why is saving 400g not an option anymore, but putting weapons into the forge is? This is what really bugs me. Some people say legendaries are kitten because they are based on RNG. If people hate the RNG so much, they should just farm for the money and buy it. People who gamble on the MF should very well know there is a chance that after 1000 tries, they’ll have 0 precursors (or even 0 stuff that are profitable to sell).

I know it sucks and it’s reaaaaaaaally hard to farm up for 400g. But if your argument is “I hate that my road to legendary is based on RNG, not hard work”, 400g seems to me a hefty hard work.

A friend of mine who plays magic cards told me the method of getting all the rare cards you want isn’t a matter of luck, but of hard work. Go to small tourneys, win, open packs, repeat. (and on the side, shell out for a few packs at a time) If you don’t get it in your first, go do it in the second, and third, and so on. (or trade the cards you get for other cards eventually getting to the rare you want). One random player opening his first pack and getting the rarest (and most expensive) card shouldn’t discourage you from getting yours in a much harder way.

I think a proper perspective here is to assume that you are the unluckiest person in the whole game, and work much much harder to compensate for it. That way, when lady luck does show her grace to you, you feel all the more rewarded. :p

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: melchiz.7182

melchiz.7182

So you sell your gold to small/independent gold sellers, yes? That’s the only reason to be so protective of fake money.

in Crafting

Edenknight.9284

400g isn’t an option because I don’t know what the price will be when I actually reach 400g, will it be 500g? 600g? Will I buy it for 400g and the next day a developer will say ‘price now statically set to 150g’ ? On top of that, do you realize what it takes to get 400+ gold? The people who do have that amount got lucky on predicting market trends (vanilla beans, early precursors, etc), exploited formulas before hotfix without punishment, have turn around bots (determine buy price → calculate if sell price is 15% over buy price → buy → sell rinse repeat). None of those things seem very ‘legendary’ and neither does someone who gambled 4 rares and got it on their 3rd try.

There’s no predictability to it. RNG is already part of the formula with Mystic Clovers. If there was a point to work towards, I could see it – but there isn’t and there’s no developer response which makes it incredibly disheartening.

in Crafting

penatbater.4710

400g isn’t an option because I don’t know what the price will be when I actually reach 400g, will it be 500g? 600g? Will I buy it for 400g and the next day a developer will say ‘price now statically set to 150g’ ? On top of that, do you realize what it takes to get 400+ gold? The people who do have that amount got lucky on predicting market trends (vanilla beans, early precursors, etc), exploited formulas before hotfix without punishment, have turn around bots (determine buy price -> calculate if sell price is 15% over buy price -> buy -> sell rinse repeat). None of those things seem very ‘legendary’ and neither does someone who gambled 4 rares and got it on their 3rd try.

There’s no predictability to it. RNG is already part of the formula with Mystic Clovers. If there was a point to work towards, I could see it – but there isn’t and there’s no developer response which makes it incredibly disheartening.

I guess I can understand your pain. The only thing that baffles me is that prices of Colossus, the legend, and the lover suddenly skyrocketed. =/

in Crafting

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

They are not going to change the way of obtaining precursor or legendary and they SHOULDN’T anyway.

There are already many players with legendary weapons, and even more with precursor. For instance two players from my guild already have the precursors, Dusk and Spark.
The one with dusk was just daily putting 80 rares into forge that he crafted from farming. And the one with Spark did drop the Spark on his 7th try.

I dont see what are you braging here about. RNG? So what, RNG is part of almot every mmorpg. RNG is how you create your precursor, thats how it is set up. Thats how developers decided way before release and there is no way they will change it.

They DONT have any reason to change the way of obtaining precursors because there already HUNDERETS of players that already dropped them from Mystic forges.

Maybe you are not one of them .. but nobody did guarantee you it will drop. You knew its rng based and you went for it anyway. Its not called legendary for nothing, its called legendary because only small number (0,1%~for instance) player base will ever obtain them. Even if only because of luck.

So just get used to it because I am telling you, they wont reduce, nor they event cant set prices of precursor (this is democracy) and surely they wont increase drop chances from mystic forge. Dont see any reason why they should.

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

in Crafting

Edenknight.9284

I’m fine with RNG and I understand that RNG is part of all MMORPG’s, but there’s a key difference with the Mystic Forge vs other RNG concepts in games. That difference is that it directly takes away from you with no promise of return. If they said, “Okay, precursors now drop from Jormag, Shatterer, and other world bosses at a 1/500 rate (0.2%)” that would be okay for the community because it’s still super rare and what not, but it doesn’t PUNISH players for using that system (killing said world boss). It also keeps legendary weapons rare. It’s an imbalanced system that doesn’t make sense and your guildmates? I’m happy for them, but two instances of success don’t mean anything in the grand scheme of numbers.

in Crafting

Posted by: melchiz.7182

melchiz.7182

The whole, “it’s already too easy to get a Legendary” argument is irrational because it assumes that gold should be the determining factor in a weapon designed to display in-game accomplishments. Buying gold does not make one good at the game.

To those of you who fear making Legendary weapons “too common” (oh no, the blue collar folk are joining the country club, what shall we do?), why not propose alternatives to precursor RNG-grinding that involve skill and achievement within the game?

in Crafting

penatbater.4710

The problem with them putting out the percentages is that, assuming say the percentage is indeed 0.2% or 1/500 as you’ve said, people who have put in at most 500 attempts will complain that they didn’t get their precursor. Even more so people who put in 1000 or 1500. And yet, those possibilities still remain.

in Crafting

Dogblaster.6713

1/500 doesnt mean you drop 1 precursor from 500 tryes someone just drops it from 10th try and someone from 2000th try. Its not fair but its not unfrair. Thats whot it is and you have to accept it or just dont go for it.

Easy and simple

in Crafting

Edenknight.9284

The problem with them putting out the percentages is that, assuming say the percentage is indeed 0.2% or 1/500 as you’ve said, people who have put in at most 500 attempts will complain that they didn’t get their precursor. Even more so people who put in 1000 or 1500. And yet, those possibilities still remain.

Right, it was a mere example. I don’t know the correct numbers to use- they may not need to release the odds as they haven’t on any other mechanic in game, but at least it’s a “free” roll at a precursor and would give some people some hope. If people complained at not getting it from a monster, at least it didn’t cost them 800 exotic weapons to do so

On top of it, it could put a few more precursors in the market which would drive down the ever-increasing precursor prices to a more acceptable price in the 80g-200g range let’s say?

If you don’t think this is a big deal and they won’t change anything, I can tell you from playing many, many MMORPG’s that topics don’t become this big of a discussion unless it’s a “big discussion” if that makes sense. It’s not wise to think anything otherwise.

in Crafting

penatbater.4710

1/500 doesnt mean you drop 1 precursor from 500 tryes someone just drops it from 10th try and someone from 2000th try. Its not fair but its not unfrair. Thats whot it is and you have to accept it or just dont go for it.

Easy and simple

eh? while it doesn’t necessarily mean exactly so, but on average, it’ll take you 500 tries to get 1 (give or take variance, which could be another problem as well). If someone got this on their 10th try and someone got this on their 2000th try, isn’t that all the more unfair seeing as the guy who got it in 10 tries shouldn’t haave gotten it, and the guy who did 2000 tries should’ve gotten 4?

in Crafting

Edenknight.9284

Wish I could recall how to do the poisson distribution for odds, but you guys should look into the law of large numbers. If the odds of an independent event “x” are 1/500 or 0.2%, there is a way to calculate how many attempts it will take to have a 99.00%, 99.9%, 99.99%, etc. chance at a success. Statistics majors, help me out on this one!

Either way, my point is that they need to add an alternative way to get precursors. Mystic Forge is punishing and discouraging for many players based on how many posts we see on the topic. RNG is fine, but it needs to be either ‘free rolls’ such as monster drops added to the obtain method or there needs to be a static recipe for people to work towards or you will see more and more of these posts popping up. The current system is not okay to many players.

in Crafting

Dogblaster.6713

They dont need to add anything.

in Crafting

Hippocampus.8470

You don’t actually need to Poisson it up unless you’re interested in the total number of successes in some large number of trials. If you’re only interested in the number of trials to expect before getting your first success, it’s a simple geometric distribution.

Because 0.1 is approximately (499/500)^1150, every 9 you want in the probability costs you 1150 trials:
90% chance = 1150 (i.e. a 10% chance of taking longer than that)
99% chance = 2300 (a 1% chance of taking longer than that)
99.9% chance = 3450
99.99% chance = 4600
And so on.

But of course, we’re a lot more likely to hear from people on the unlucky tail of that distribution than on the lucky side, because the people who post on game forums seem disproportionately to be the unhappy ones. So between the 0.2% of people who get it on their first try and the 0.2% who still don’t have it after their 3104th, I suspect we tend to hear a lot more from the latter group.

in Crafting

Posted by: Token.6501

Token.6501

Regardless how many GW2 players are willing to defend the current system as it stands; numerous players who bought the game have already quit playing for one reason or another. The methods required to obtain the legendary weapons certainly turn me off the game. People who are willing to spend large amounts of real-money buying GW2 gold clearly have some kind of advantage here. If you are going to argue that the Legendary items are just cosmetic upgrades, I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

I’m with the OP here, the Mystic Forge cheapens the game-play experience!

I’m spending more of my time playing LOTRO now, I can afford their subscription fees easier than I can afford GW2 Gems.

(edited by Token.6501)