Salvage Trophies making a loss?

in Crafting

Posted by: Yocairo.4257

Yocairo.4257

I’m in a pickle. Until now I’ve always salvaged all trophies I found with the kits I have with me(usually master, used to be fine)

Now I checked out some of the TP prices and it seem salvaging some if not most result in a loss. Not even including the salv kit cost.

I.E hard leather straps vendor @ 25 c ea.
If I salvage it I get 1-3 thick leather thingy’s..
The thick leather is worth 8 c on the TP, so concluding they are always a loss to salvage.

Should I just vendor every salvage trophy I get because it’s taking time effort and now money to do it.

-P.S I don’t craft I sell everything @ TP once my stack hits 250.

in Crafting

Posted by: Limm.8401

Limm.8401

Here’s my rule of thumb:
Since low-tier leather and cloth is pretty much worthless I sell salvage items that mostly drop those at the Trading Post or just a merchant. Salvage Items that give ores I salvage however. I dunno if I lose gold on this but everything that gives the really cheap materials is better off at the merchant imho.

Kitty Rages; 55k

in Crafting

Posted by: Yocairo.4257

Yocairo.4257

Yeah I got that answer just now in game as well.
I’m a little confused however, I thought the trophies in wvw were lvl 80 trophies, you know the good ones.

I guess there’s even higher ones only obtainable in pve then..?

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My rule of thumb is that if I need the mats from a particular tier of salvage items (usually because I intend to do some crafting), I will salvage the items. If I don’t, I sell them. Prices for salvage items have gone up because of people buying them for the Daily/Monthly salvage requirement, I believe. It tends to peak around the last week of the month too as procrastinators realise they only have a few days left and have to shell out to get their salvage items quick.

in Crafting

Posted by: Rattlehead.1476

Rattlehead.1476

Yeah I got that answer just now in game as well.
I’m a little confused however, I thought the trophies in wvw were lvl 80 trophies, you know the good ones.

I guess there’s even higher ones only obtainable in pve then..?

Also keep in mind an up levelled player will often give poorer quality loot when killed just as when up levelled yourself your loot will be related to your current level

Jadeikins: Friendly neighbourhood Thief
Lady Nikh: The Goddess of Victory ^_^

in Crafting

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I have ~40000 salvage uses on an alt, I salvage everything. Also, I got them when they were cheap due to Lionsguard Lyns.

in Crafting

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I vendor the top tier salvageable loot for cloth and leather. The lower level stuff can sometimes be worth it to salvage, but not the top tier stuff anymore.

Also, don’t bother with anything other than a crude salvage kit if you aren’t trying to get ectos or sigils/runes from something.

in Crafting

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

realised that also so i merched all high lvl blues and toss the greens now and then into the mystic toilet for the hopes of upgrading to rares.
Its only the t2-4 crafting mats that i salvage for

in Crafting

Posted by: Articluna.4509

Articluna.4509

I vendor the top tier salvageable loot for cloth and leather. The lower level stuff can sometimes be worth it to salvage, but not the top tier stuff anymore.

Also, don’t bother with anything other than a crude salvage kit if you aren’t trying to get ectos or sigils/runes from something.

Actually, negative on this. I made test salvage sample of few thousand t6 salvages few months ago. CrudeSK gives you less orichalcum than basicSK hence you’ll end up losing few copper in value per salvage. Sub-t6 salvage I’d still suggest crudeSK.

OooOOoohh, box of shinies. So many shinies!
Outsource rng → profit.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Actually, negative on this. I made test salvage sample of few thousand t6 salvages few months ago. CrudeSK gives you less orichalcum than basicSK hence you’ll end up losing few copper in value per salvage. Sub-t6 salvage I’d still suggest crudeSK.

Yep, this. I use Basic Salvage Kits on white T6 salvage items for the chance to get Gossamer Scraps, Hardened Leather and Orichalcum Ore instead of T5 mats. For lower level items, I use Crude Salvage Kits. (Rares use Master/Mystic Salvage Kits, and Exotics get the Black Lion Salvage Kit treatment.)

in Crafting

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Basic and crude salvage kits give the same results when salvaging whites to within the confidence interval (over a several thousand salvage sample).

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

YOU CAN’T SALVAGE TROPHIES. Are you calling basic Armor/weapon drops Trophies?? If so, DON’T, it’s needlessly confusing… There’s only one “Trophy” class of junk in this game, and that’s the Talons/BrokenClaws/Carapaces/Hoofs that comes off most wildlife that we can’t actually do anything with.

in Crafting

Posted by: Articluna.4509

Articluna.4509

YOU CAN’T SALVAGE TROPHIES. Are you calling basic Armor/weapon drops Trophies?? If so, DON’T, it’s needlessly confusing… There’s only one “Trophy” class of junk in this game, and that’s the Talons/BrokenClaws/Carapaces/Hoofs that comes off most wildlife that we can’t actually do anything with.

Poor little ilr still confused after his/her 6 months break.

There’s whole set of various “salvage items” under “trophies” category. Such as, “Clump of Ore” or “Worn Rag” that are easy to salvage due the fact they stack up all the way to 250.

And to those who disagree with my findigs with CSK/BSK, you’re free to do as you please. I trust my own data. I didn’t do those 2m+ salvages without checking that profit was there…

OooOOoohh, box of shinies. So many shinies!
Outsource rng → profit.

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Poor little ilr still confused after his/her 6 months break.

don’t patronize me when they already have disambiguation for this
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Salvage_items
Or maybe I should just blame Anet for not making soul-bound trophies salvageable?

Also this is nothing new… even in Gw1 you had to figure in your “cost to Salvage” per use to figure out if you were making a profit by salvaging.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Crafting

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Cloth and leather are pretty worthless. You can sell the leather strap and whatnot for a tiny profit after tp fee (like 10 copper more than vendoring it, but it’s nothing to really care about.

I use fine salvage kits bought with worthless karma for my salvaging—

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)