Should Legendary items be truly Legendary?

in Crafting

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Right now legendary items aren’t legendary.

Expensive high-level toys? Sure. Legendary? Sorry, but no! Why? Because the path to Legendary items is bottlenecked at a random number generator (RNG) and/or the Trading Post (TP). Getting legendary items is based on luck, $$ and/or gold grinding (to purchase the precursor items from someone else who won the Random Number Generator game) not heroic feats (unless you call pouring item after item down the throat of a one-armed bandit in the hope of getting that lucky drop ‘heroic’).

From the Oxford English Dictionary:
Legendary: 1. of or connected with legends. 2. described or based on a legend. 3. remarkable enough to be the subject of legends.

Winning the RNG game is “lucky” not “Legendary”. Grinding is “grinding” not “Legendary”. Paying $ is “wealth” not “Legendary”. Where’s the “Legend” in those? Right now getting a Legendary item isn’t epic, it’s the result of grinding, cash and Lady Luck.

What if, instead of being bottlenecked at the RNG (and its cash base alternative, the TP), the path to legendary items was through truly heroic feats?
- What if the bottleneck items were obtainable through heroic quests? (Want to keep this legendary? Make each quest one time only per character, and only for classes that use that item).
What if you couldn’t equip a legendary item until you had the necessary epic achievements? (Want a legendary sword? You’d better show that you’re a truly legendary sword fighter. Want some legendary armor? You’d better have survived enough champion battles and higher? etc.)

The achievements system is right there, all it needs is to be hooked up. Let any master crafter create the item, but you can’t equip it until your character has the necessary achievements. That would also allow ArenaNet to create specific quests and achievements that would mean that it truly means something to wield these items.

Do that and Legendary items will deserve their Legendary title. Until then, legendary items will remain merely expensive end-game gloss.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Another one again? Seriously .. we have enought of these topics already.

Legendary weapons have unique legendary looking skin, they are expensive and they should be EXPENSIVE. Only the most dedicated players, who are willing to play countless hours should have them.

So if you want legendary, you should start farming and not ask the devs to change them.

I am nearly done with my first legendary and I am happy with the current state.
TBH I would already have my legendary if I didnt level up 6x 80 lvl .. what an Idiot I was ..

And yes … they deserve their Legendary title, because they look LEGENDARY

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

in Crafting

Posted by: LordThroat.7890

LordThroat.7890

So you have a problem with these items merely because the devs used the word ‘legendary’ in their rarity level?

The farming and grinding can be as ‘legendary’ as you want to make it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Don’t get me wrong, there’s always a place for expensive high level items that look great.

So you have a problem with these items merely because the devs used the word ‘legendary’ in their rarity level?

Not quite. The problem is that these items could so easily represent more than a looong grind, but right now they don’t.

The farming and grinding can be as ‘legendary’ as you want to make it.

Yeah. And when it is truly legendary, wouldn’t it be great if the item really reflected that. (I pay far more attention to people’s titles than the kit they’re carrying, because the titles always mean something.)

Once you hit 80 further progress devolves into grinding. One way round that is to have achievements that are truly aspirational for lvl 80 characters and visible rewards that reflect this. Supposedly that is what legendary times are meant to do. Unfortunately, as currently implemented they are little more than indicators of grinding and luck (“see my mighty sword of TP trading”). (Again, don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a lot of respect for those who do the grind to get legendary items.)

It really wouldn’t take much to make legendary items truly legendary. Add a few legendary achievements (or use some of the epic ones that are there already), make them prereqisites for binding the relevant legendary item, and bingo! an instantly richer post-80 character path (without having to invent higher levels) and legendary items that mean something more than a loooong grind.

It’s not a big step, but given the choice between a legendary item that reflects only a long grind and one that reflects some serious lvl 80 achievements, well I know which I’d rather have.
-What about you? What would you rather have?

in Crafting

Posted by: Hawke.2176

Hawke.2176

Maybe they can make the legendaries to evolve somewhat the more the achievement points the player has (purely cosmetic and affects the effects only) such as Bolt changing the elctricity color or amount. That be somewhat cool and if i had a legendary Id wanna “level” it up by doing alot of the achievements that requires me to play alot of the content and not just the same old farming grind.

in Crafting

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

currently, somehow, i am okay with the way legendaries are needed to be acquired. and major props to those who already have one, or two, maybe even three! i don’t need to feel or be validated in-game. i’m going for one because i think they look kewl. and i am enjoying the process of it.

at the same time, some of the ideas brought up here are kind of kewl. like leveling up your legendary. or making the use of achievement points.

i wouldn’t want them to change they way legendaries are to be acquired though. at least not the way the current ones are to be obtained. since many might be close to it, and all of a sudden if you add in new mechanics, and they need to spend another few months. that’s just no fun for them either. but perhaps, for future legendaries, assuming that we’ll see a TON more, they can implement new systems or mechanics.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Crafting

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

They shouldn’t be truly legendary. Rares arent really rare either. It’s a name.
They should change the way to acquire one, but not really change the amount of time to get one for a casual player.

in Crafting

Posted by: frak.5239

frak.5239

this has never been mentioned before, please keep making topics

in Crafting

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Legendary: 1. of or connected with legends. 2. described or based on a legend. 3. remarkable enough to be the subject of legends.

So, which one of those exactly implies the way to obtain a legendary item? If you trip on Excalibur while walking your dog…does that make the sword itself any less legendary? No, it doesn’t. Because its status is based on the legend behind it not the way you got it. I think you should reread the definition you gave yourself and think why your post makes no sense.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

I feel it should be obtained through completing a certain number of achievements or a certain set of them for a certain item.

in Crafting

Dogblaster.6713

Legendaries are already done this way. kitten expensive weapons. They wont gonna change it and if they do, I will rage so hard and demand refund for every gold I did spend.

in Crafting

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

I hope they don’t change the method of obtaining the existing legendaries, as that will devalue them for those who already have them. On the other hand (especially if they increase the stats) I think some more obtainable ones wouldn’t be out of the question. A.net did promise that players would be grinding for looks and not stats afterall.

in Crafting

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

So, which one of those exactly implies the way to obtain a legendary item? If you trip on Excalibur while walking your dog…does that make the sword itself any less legendary? No, it doesn’t. Because its status is based on the legend behind it not the way you got it. I think you should reread the definition you gave yourself and think why your post makes no sense.

Spot on +1

The achievements system is right there, all it needs is to be hooked up. Let any master crafter create the item, but you can’t equip it until your character has the necessary achievements. That would also allow ArenaNet to create specific quests and achievements that would mean that it truly means something to wield these items.

Do that and Legendary items will deserve their Legendary title. Until then, legendary items will remain merely expensive end-game gloss.

Where is the suggestion in your post besides Acheivements which is really vague. This is the same as all the Recipe precursor threads that don’t say much except give me a recipe without thinking about the fact that materials will rise in price so it changes nothing but give you something you can equip.

So you say achievement and I’ll say youtube and still grind regardless.

I have twilight and for me map competition was a grind cause that is not what I am into really. I’d rather farm plinx and chat with everyone there that is after the same thing karma then go and do map competition. Also does farm=grind? I think grind is just thrown around to much sometimes but more specifically to what you said.

If they tie it to achievements there will be videos popping up in 2 weeks time on how to get those achievements in about half the time. So how would YOU make it tied to achievement while still making it somewhat difficult to obtain?

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Crafting

Dogblaster.6713

Spot on +1

Where is the suggestion in your post besides Acheivements which is really vague. This is the same as all the Recipe precursor threads that don’t say much except give me a recipe without thinking about the fact that materials will rise in price so it changes nothing but give you something you can equip.

So you say achievement and I’ll say youtube and still grind regardless.

I have twilight and for me map competition was a grind cause that is not what I am into really. I’d rather farm plinx and chat with everyone there that is after the same thing karma then go and do map competition. Also does farm=grind? I think grind is just thrown around to much sometimes but more specifically to what you said.

If they tie it to achievements there will be videos popping up in 2 weeks time on how to get those achievements in about half the time. So how would YOU make it tied to achievement while still making it somewhat difficult to obtain?

Agree with you guys

I dont care if I run into free Bentley when walking for pizza … call it lucky or not legendary. The car itself is still legendary, it doesnt matter how you gain it .. Same goes for Legendary weapons, no one cares if you got it by farming one spot for 1000 hours or buying gems. Everyone envy you

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Maybe they could just change at all the name of Legendary on weapon, achievement and window property at all. After all, as the OP said, there is nothing legendary about those weapons. Except the look ( of 1h sword and greatswords), so what.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter