Soft Wood Planks

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet, but I found I ran out of soft wood logs when refining into planks quicker than any other wood type, and the reason why is it takes 4 logs to refine rather than 3 like for every other wood type.

Is there a reason behind this? This wood is no easier or harder to get than any other, but I had noticed even before the patch that soft wood planks cost a bit more than even seasoned or hard wood, which are 1-2 tiers above it. I see no reason why soft wood planks should need 4 logs rather than the normal 3 for refinement like every other wood has.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I asked this question yesterday and got no response. I remember that last year, sometime around August or September, wood planks needed 2 logs, but then it got increased to 3 logs because it was too easy to max out compared to other crafting professions. I still don’t know why soft wood planks need 4 logs though.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Funny, I did a search for “soft wood” in this forum and got nothing.

ANet, if this is some oversight, please correct it.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Soft like the NSW origin team.

Someone’s an Australian Queenslander.

But yeah, the reason why it takes 4 logs as compared to 3 was because in the early days of GW2, there was far too much oversupply of Soft Wood Logs, leading ANet to tweak the recipe to make them more valuable. With the introduction of Ascended Weapons, this is no longer the case, but ANet hasn’t gone back and fixed the recipe yet.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Actually no I just checked to make sure.. T1 (green) wood planks still only need 3 logs to craft, as does every other tier in refinement except for soft wood.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Actually no I just checked to make sure.. T1 (green) wood planks still only need 3 logs to craft, as does every other tier in refinement except for soft wood.

Ah,, thanks of the correction!
It has been a long time since I refined green wood, and incorrectly recalled the process

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

With ascended recipes, soft wood planks should seriously put be back in line with 3 logs for a plank. Please correct this!

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Its probably the same reason as why you need 3x Iron Ore to refine into 1x Iron Bar or 1x Steel Bar.

Its a gathering node that is incredibly common, moreso then any other gathering nodes. And as a result, to prevent market flood a little bit, they upped the refinement cost by 1 on each of these.
On the bright side, Soft Wood and Iron Ore are both easier to farm then anything else.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I just elevate the tier1 planks to tier 2 in the MF.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

On the bright side, Soft Wood and Iron Ore are both easier to farm then anything else.

Soft wood is easy to farm? I have always found all other tiers to be much easier to harvest. It’s incredibly common for me to be running around the 15+ level zone, and see many metal nodes but no wood whatsoever. My last harvesting run through 3 whole zones got me enough wood for 10 planks. That’s tragic. In time to harvested material ratio, tier 1, t3, t5 and t6 wood (likely t4 too, it was long since i had to farm for those, but that in itself is an answer) are much better.
(why is t1 filtered?)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Laeir.5197

Laeir.5197

Wood is not removed from the game at the same rate as metals simply because less wood than ore is used in what people craft on a large scale. If equal numbers of wood and metal nodes are harvested, wood will always accumulate unless vendored. This became very apparent in the initial leveling bubble that crashed nearly the entire wood market to vendor pricing. In order to address this imbalance, the devs increased the amount of wood necessary to make planks.

I think this is still going to be the case with Ascended crafting. If you add up all the wood and ore used in all the Ascended weapons crafted this month, more metal than wood will be consumed. But you really feel the wood pinch if you try to craft your Spirit Wood every day.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I’m not really sure how to feel about the quantity of wood available. Yes, there is less need for it overall in crafting, but from what I’ve seen, people also tend to gather less of it (I assume because there’s less need it’s been dirt cheap for so long). Right now, all of the wood types except green and elder are as expensive as any of the ores, so hopefully people will start gathering wood again so it becomes less expensive.

However, as someone who likes to gather my own materials, it drives me crazy that wood nodes are obviously less common than ore. Admittedly, an exception seems to be Elder nodes, which are plentiful. I don’t like feeling as if farming gold and buying materials from the TP is more efficient than doing my own gathering.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Laeir is right – there are just as many trees as metal nodes, but metal is used in 6 crafting professions while wood is used in like 2.1 (sure, weaponsmith can use it, but it only makes up like 1/10 of what they use)
leather and cloth is similar in that very few use it, but those are exempt as there is also much less supply of them.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Avatara.1042

There are less tier 6 wood nodes than metal nodes.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

There are less tier 6 wood nodes than metal nodes.

And there are no rich wood nodes (well, there’s no rich ori node anymore either, but for t1 – to t5 the inequality holds up as well)

Actions, not words.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Destroyer Bravo.5391

Destroyer Bravo.5391

Gendarran Fields has alot of softwood in it

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Really is time for soft wood plank recipe to be changed again back to 3. There is no longer an over abundance of it.

There is probably way more Elder wood logs out there at the moment.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Because the wood is so soft, you need a lot more to produce a single plank. It’s simple geometry my friends.

:P

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

The only reason it was changed to 4 because there was a ton of it in the early days of GW2. Now that there’s a lot less people playing in the lower levels, soft wood has become rare again.

Also, you learn to value wood a lot more if you’re trying to level up Huntsman. So many recipes all require wood. At least the leather is dirt cheap.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Zaxares.5419

Gendarran Fields and Fields of Ruin is where I go to farm Soft Wood Logs.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Smooth – your theory doesn’t hold up well for green wood logs then, all jokes aside, because they still only need 3 logs for a plank.

Mad Rasputin – the elder wood logs are in abundance because imagine making one elder spirit residue from scratch each day… there’s 150 logs that need to be gathered to be refined down to the necessary 50 planks as the base material. For spiritwood planks we have another mismatch where we need 20 x T2, 10 x T3 & 20 x T4 wood planks… why couldn’t they have just made it a common number allround like 15?

Zaxares – I farm logs from where I know they are common: Gendarran, Fields & Snowden meet this category for me. ANet were looking for ways to get us back out into the world instead of blithely passing through all these zones, if for any other reason than to just farm the nodes available.

There is an imbalance here, and it needs correcting. This isn’t the early days of the game anymore where the imbalance may have been justified. We are consuming logs and metal at an incredible rate for ascended crafting. For huntsman and artificer, the wood cost far outweighs the metal (staves, foci and scepters all require wood, no metal), but ascended crafting takes it to a whole new level (excuse the pun).

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Eclipsiste.3251

Eclipsiste.3251

Soft wood is not easy to farm… and with the ascended recipes it’s become plain ridiculous: it’s just easier to gather lots of hard or elder wood logs than soft wood… Most of the time you gather 3 logs from a sapling, so you can’t even make a single plank out of it -_-
More than 25 trees to craft 20 planks? Come on, you have to change this…
Just have a look at the prices in the BL Market and all is said, only ori and ancient wood are more expensive.
While you’re at it… since we now have to stack hundreds and hundreds of craft materials, can we FINALLY see any possibility to extend the collections capacity?

[VdF] – Jade Sea

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Level 80 players shouldn’t be running around low level zones harvesting newbie logs. End of story.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Level 80 players shouldn’t be running around low level zones harvesting newbie logs. End of story.

They need to lower the plank cost, and increase the supply of soft logs anyway. Running around like NSW Origin newbs is only part of the issue.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

It’s a simple fix, do what they do for Shards of Essence gotten from Fractals where you can break up higher tier materials into many more lower tier.

First it’ll introduce a money sink since for essence shards you needed to buy salvage kits. Secondly t5 material will stay valuable and lower tier materials won’t spiral out of control.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Soft wood is not easy to farm…

Obvious “that’s what she said….”, jokes aside, taking more logs per plank does NOT make it harder to farm….just longer. In fact, it is distributed across more zones than any other basic material (except maybe iron ore). The higher availability is exactly why they changed it from 3 logs to 4 logs per plank quite a while ago.

I fail to see how a LVL 80 in a lower end zone causes anyone a problem. Now if they are trying to “champ train” and are yelling at new players to not kill the Champs they are trying to farm, then that’s different. I go to starter zones with my LVL 80 all the time for various reasons and try to go out of my way to be helpful to lower level players.

Wait…no she didn’t say that about me….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

…taking more logs per plank does NOT make it harder to farm….just longer.

It’s a disparity amongst other tiers of wood, it’s an inconvenience (and this game is allll about convenience) and most of all it’s unnecessary as covered in many points in this topic. It’s like having a black sheep, just for the sake of having a black sheep.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Soft wood is not easy to farm…

Obvious “that’s what she said….”, jokes aside, taking more logs per plank does NOT make it harder to farm….just longer. In fact, it is distributed across more zones than any other basic material (except maybe iron ore). The higher availability is exactly why they changed it from 3 logs to 4 logs per plank quite a while ago.

I fail to see how a LVL 80 in a lower end zone causes anyone a problem. Now if they are trying to “champ train” and are yelling at new players to not kill the Champs they are trying to farm, then that’s different. I go to starter zones with my LVL 80 all the time for various reasons and try to go out of my way to be helpful to lower level players.

Wait…no she didn’t say that about me….

You lack a point.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

With ascended recipes, soft wood planks should seriously put be back in line with 3 logs for a plank. Please correct this!

I replied back to Smith this very request on like the 2nd day after Ascended crafting dropped. …I’m sure he heard it. I just don’t know how likely they’ll ever be to act on it considering how much they like to hold onto timesinks once they’re established long enough. IIRC, it took them 3 months just to do something about Vanilla back when that was getting too scarce

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Soft wood is easy to farm? I have always found all other tiers to be much easier to harvest. It’s incredibly common for me to be running around the 15+ level zone, and see many metal nodes but no wood whatsoever. My last harvesting run through 3 whole zones got me enough wood for 10 planks. That’s tragic. In time to harvested material ratio, tier 1, t3, t5 and t6 wood (likely t4 too, it was long since i had to farm for those, but that in itself is an answer) are much better.
(why is t1 filtered?)

I ran Snowden Drift, just Snowden Drift, on 1 character and ended up with enough wood logs for 20 planks. Aswell as a whole bunch of Iron, enough for 25 ingots.

Its a low level zone, bring any level 20-25 alt and run it again. After an hour, all the nodes have respawned and you can go at it again.

So i really would like to know what zones you’ve been running that three of em put together didnt even have like 13 trees, so i can avoid those zones.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I ran Snowden Drift, just Snowden Drift, on 1 character and ended up with enough wood logs for 20 planks.

20 planks makes 1/4 of exactly one Spirit Wood plank.

I’ve also run the entire map of Snowden.
It takes about 15-25 minutes even with Perma Swiftness & constant FS-Ele style Lunging,. It may be easy to navigate but the Trees themselves are sparse and probably around HALF the quantity they really should be in. …Same goes for the Talmark(Brisbain) region on the other side of Tyria… Very low concentrations assuming you find any “clusters” at all despite the fact the whole area is basically a giant forest. Higher level Zones like Malchor’s & Maelstrom meanwhile which are supposed to be Wastelands, have 2x-3x as many Banyan/Cypress nodes and you can easily get over 160 logs per character per 15 minutes in each one without even roaming the entire map

(edited by ilr.9675)

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I spent the last couple of hours scouring Gendarran Fields and Snowden Drifts for both soft wood and iron ore, as I need both to craft spiritwood planks and deldrimor steel ingots respectively, and I’m short on both.

Gendarran Fields

66 soft wood logs gathered
43 iron ingots gathered

Snowden Drifts

49 soft wood logs gathered
55 iron ingots gathered

Totals

• 115 Soft Wood Logs
  • total of 4 critical resource gathers (ie. getting 4 or more logs instead of the standard 3), even when used with a banner boost
  • 98 Iron Ore
  • total of 3 critical resource gathers

As you can see from just two zones as an example, there’s really not a lot that can be gathered, and barely enough to sink the time into. I would respectfully ask that more of these nodes (which are needed now more than ever, and not just by me) be put into these zones for resource gathering, and maybe even ease the burden of high prices on the trading post. The fact that we still need 4 soft wood logs for a single plank only compounds the issue further, and as from the replies above we can see that this anomaly really isn’t necessary.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Everyone except anet realizes there is a problem here. That or they just refuse to do something about it.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Everyone except anet realizes there is a problem here. That or they just refuse to do something about it.

There is a ridiculous amount of these mats stored on the trading post, offered at prices that we simply wont pay, probably listed originally by players who are no longer playing the game….

I am certain that Anet is trying to move this stuff off by requiring huge numbers of mats to craft Ascended items.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

cranked.3812

There is a ridiculous amount of these mats stored on the trading post, offered at prices that we simply wont pay, probably listed originally by players who are no longer playing the game….

I am certain that Anet is trying to move this stuff off by requiring huge numbers of mats to craft Ascended items.

I know, but why is that our problem to clear out the TP? Besides, changing it back to 3 logs per plank is a no brainer and yet still hasn’t been done.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Besides, changing it back to 3 logs per plank is a no brainer and yet still hasn’t been done.

Hehehe, “Anet” and “No Brainer”. hehehe……

I see what you did there.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Because the wood is so soft, you need a lot more to produce a single plank. It’s simple geometry my friends.

:P

Geometry doesnt mean what you think it means.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Gendarran Fields is a terrible choice for trees. Unless you expect trees to spawn in water. Kessex Hills, Snowden Drifts, Diessa Plateau have a similar problem to a lesser degree. Brisban Wildlands would probably better.

Not saying there isn’t a problem, just pointing out that there might be a better place. Maybe they are trying to get more people into Brisban since it often feels more dead than other places.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

We’ve heard you loud and clear and will adjust all planks to needing 4 logs with a hotfix coming in the next couple of hours. The number 3 is rather overused actually and we are an equal number employer!

Equal number … may not have thought that through …

Edit: Yes it’s kinda silly. Both.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Since it came up:

Brisban Wildlands is a good zone to gather Soft Wood, and you’ll also pick up a ton of Iron Ore and Silver Ore, plus some random cooking mats. Starting in the SE corner of the zone, run north to the NE corner, west to the NW corner, then run SE back toward Skrittsburgh and gradually angle back toward your start point for a full circuit.

The western half of Iron Marches is a good area for Hard Wood, and you’ll also get cooking mats, Iron Ore, Gold Ore, and Platinum Ore.

Takes 20-30 minutes for each zone, and yields about 30-40 logs, dependent on your server’s node spawns.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You lack a point.

Ok…my point was that this resources was NOT rare and easily farmed by all but the lowest level characters. Yes, the current refinement quantity requires more of it than any other wood material, but it is the most abundant wood nodes present in the game (which was the original reason they changed the refinement requirement).

POINT: It takes LONGER but is not more difficult to obtain what you need. It is not unreasonable to request that ANet reconsider the quantity change and revert it, but demanding and ranting for the reversal is just rude and childish.

It’s like having a black sheep, just for the sake of having a black sheep.

That is not accurate as there WAS a reason the number was increased, but I don’t disagree it needs to be re-evaluated now that the new receipts require the resource.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

cranked.3812

You lack a point.

Ok…my point was that this resources was NOT rare and easily farmed by all but the lowest level characters. Yes, the current refinement quantity requires more of it than any other wood material, but it is the most abundant wood nodes present in the game (which was the original reason they changed the refinement requirement).

POINT: It takes LONGER but is not more difficult to obtain what you need. It is not unreasonable to request that ANet reconsider the quantity change and revert it, but demanding and ranting for the reversal is just rude and childish.

It’s like having a black sheep, just for the sake of having a black sheep.

That is not accurate as there WAS a reason the number was increased, but I don’t disagree it needs to be re-evaluated now that the new receipts require the resource.

On one hand, I see what they are doing by trying to get people into low level zones, but on the other hand, what is the point of getting the population up in those low level zones if it’s just farmers running in and out in 25 minutes? It doesn’t increase the population of people actually doing things in those zones.

One thing about stuff like low level mats, they were probably far more abundant back when everyone was leveling up their characters. You don’t have that so much anymore as many people are 80.

I am not whining about it, I just think it was poorly thought out and should have been changed as soon as someone mentioned it on the forums.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

Except it is not. The most abundant wood type would be elder wood, actually (the next being T1). It is possible that the world total of T2 is a bit higher than T3 and 4, but it is offset by the greater price per plank, and by the fact that T3 and T4 exists in greater density (t2 existing in more zones, but with a lower per-zone quantity).

Actions, not words.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Zaxares.5419

It’s worth noting that the price for Green Wood Logs has also increased by a considerable amount. It never used to go above 10c, but it’s been consistently sitting at 60c or more for the past week. I wonder if this is due to people buying up Green Wood to convert to Soft Wood, or whether there’s some other reason.

Soft Wood Planks

in Crafting

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Part of the “Green” strategy of Anet. Hey they also care about the virtual environment.