[Suggestion] How about crafting permanent gathering tools?

in Crafting

Posted by: Edenfer.9816

Edenfer.9816

It would be great if we were able to craft permanent gathering tools.
Ascended level, requiring different crafting professions or quest items etc.
Without flashy effects of course as opposed to the store ones.

Logically the store shouldn’t offer items we can’t find in the game (permanent is different from having 250 charges). Store items should only have unique skins and graphical effects.

What do you think?

P.S: on a side note, buying a game item for almost 1/5 the price of the entire game is outrageous.

in Crafting

Posted by: Adrenaline.2854

Adrenaline.2854

You buy this game, and play free forever. They need to make money somehow.

in Crafting

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Honestly I think they should just be left as they are. Some things are only available in the gem shop. All the outfits, some skins, account upgrades (char slots) and things like that, and none of these items require a cash purchase.

Since you can buy gems with gold, the store doesn’t offer any items you can’t find in the game.

in Crafting

Edenfer.9816

The idea is not to remove items from the shop. But to offer the same item in-game. The ones in the shop are kept for their cosmetic unique effects.

It’s true that we can exchange gold for gems but at the cost of immersion.
Crafting is more fun than endlessly farming for gold

in Crafting

Miku.6297

In my opinion, in game immersion is subjective; couldn’t you just say you are using gold to purchase gems from the black lion traders, then using these gems to buy things from their special warehouse. That maintains “immersion”, and doesn’t upset any of the player base that already purchased these items.

Crafting being more fun is also a mater of opinion, I personally do not enjoy crafting and would much rather go out and explore/adventure, which ends out making gold as well.

in Crafting

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

yes, add unlimited tools to crafting, than all gemstore tools will have to drop an extra item to be worthwhile ..~yes please~ XD

in Crafting

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

Yes… but dont make them unlimited…. make them like 2 week duration

like you craft it.. it lasts 2 weeks and then it expires…

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

The idea is not to remove items from the shop. But to offer the same item in-game. The ones in the shop are kept for their cosmetic unique effects.

It’s true that we can exchange gold for gems but at the cost of immersion.
Crafting is more fun than endlessly farming for gold

Crazy idea: If you think crafting is more fun than farming gold, just farm your gold by crafting for profit.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Logically the store shouldn’t offer items we can’t find in the game (permanent is different from having 250 charges). Store items should only have unique skins and graphical effects.

What do you think?

P.S: on a side note, buying a game item for almost 1/5 the price of the entire game is outrageous.

If you want convenience and cosmetic items, you have to pay for them. That’s the business model that lets you play as much as you want for the price of the box.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Crafting

Posted by: Dalent.9358

Dalent.9358

What do you think?

As someone else mentioned, you buy the game, you play for free. ANet needs to make money off this game somehow. Paying 20% of the game cost in cash for an item is bad for you? Then you’d never survive a subscription based game. Paying 25% of the cost of the game every month just to keep playing? And that’s not even bad.

You’re not entitled to anything you can’t get out the box. If you want an unlimited use gathering item, buy it.

Akurn – Asura Necromancer
Elzareth – Asura Mesmer

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Before posting more “gimme sumthin’ FREE, ANET!” suggestions, please consider where the money to continue to run the game Servers comes from.

It’s not ALL about what YOU as a player WANTS.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

Yes… but dont make them unlimited…. make them like 2 week duration

like you craft it.. it lasts 2 weeks and then it expires…

Now this is an idea that you could reasonably see happening (aside from the two weeks expiration). If we could craft the same items that currently we buy from the vendor, that would be pretty cool. The advanced versions of the crafting recipes could then give you more uses form the same quality of tool. So for example you craft an Ori sickle that has 75 or 100 uses instead of 50.

in Crafting

Edenfer.9816

@Taygus: it’s already the case, remember the “Watchwork Pick”?

@Wanze: I prefer if all items (not cosmetics) were available in-game. It’s not about gold.

@Dalent: of course subscription games are not for me, that’s why I played guild wars 1 in the first place. I still remember reading an interview with one of the founders of arena way back. He was explaining how servers don’t cost as much as game companies lead you to believe and how he was sure the gw model would work.

@Brother Grimm: it’s not free, I’m paying for it with “time” (playing the game) as a currency. It’s practically the same thing as farming gold then exchanging it for gems (they don’t make money from it) but it’s more fun for me.

We have armor in game right? Does it stop people buying armor skins from the shop? No. All I’m asking for is a basic version of the item without removing the shop versions with their amazing flashy effects.

in Crafting

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

@Wanze: I prefer if all items (not cosmetics) were available in-game. It’s not about gold.

@Dalent: of course subscription games are not for me, that’s why I played guild wars 1 in the first place. I still remember reading an interview with one of the founders of arena way back. He was explaining how servers don’t cost as much as game companies lead you to believe and how he was sure the gw model would work.

@Brother Grimm: it’s not free, I’m paying for it with “time” (playing the game) as a currency. It’s practically the same thing as farming gold then exchanging it for gems (they don’t make money from it) but it’s more fun for me.

We have armor in game right? Does it stop people buying armor skins from the shop? No. All I’m asking for is a basic version of the item without removing the shop versions with their amazing flashy effects.

Your time played does not help ArenaNet keep the servers online, thus you are not paying with your time, you are spending your time. There is a HUGE difference.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Crafting

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

That’s one tool, and nothing to do with ingame unlimited tools. I’d love if all the gemstore tools dropped something extra.

You also know alot of people want an unlimited tool that isn’t flashy?, it’s more likely anet will create that in gemstore than ingame.

in Crafting

Edenfer.9816

@mtpelion: again… we can buy anything in the shop while playing the game. In-game gold can be exchanged to gems. So time is equal to money.

@Eggman: unlimited would be best but I’ll be happy with any improvement. Mystic forge recipes for instance like the one for the mystic kit.

@Taygus: in my opinion, the shop should never offer better features than in-game apart from cosmetics. I hated the watchwork pick.

Why not add both? One you can buy with gems another with a recipe. Everyone wins.

in Crafting

Miku.6297

@mtpelion: again… we can buy anything in the shop while playing the game. In-game gold can be exchanged to gems. So time is equal to money.

So you can exchange in game gold for gems. Crafting recipe for these are not needed to attain them in game without using cash. There is really no need for a crafting recipe in this case.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dalent.9358

Dalent.9358

You said nothing to defeat my point that you are not entitled.

All the items are available in-game, so please, stop trying to say they are not. You can log into the game. Play the game normally. Sell normally. Save gold. Talk to a Black Lion Trading Post representative. Purchase gems with gold. Go to the Black Lion Shop. Buy the infinite use gathering tool of your choice, or armor, or whatever it is your heart desires. All in-game, without once having to open your real-world wallet.

If you want more uses, you can always grab the Laurel gathering tools for 2 Laurels, that have double the uses the regular tools do. Advanced Mining Pick for example.
The only extra they should add, is as you stated, a Mystic Forge equivalent (or crafting, why not?) that gives you, let’s say, 500 uses of a Mining Pick. But still limited.

Akurn – Asura Necromancer
Elzareth – Asura Mesmer

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

Your time only has value to Anet if you turn it into gems (ACTUALLY farming gold) and buy the tool….

Your time played does not help ArenaNet keep the servers online, thus you are not paying with your time, you are spending your time. There is a HUGE difference.

However, you chances of spending RL money in the gem store goes down DRAMATICALLY (like 100%) if you are not logged in….Much of Anet’s content points to the fact that they are fully aware of it.

The idea of a temporary crafted gathering tool (with no effects) is not a bad idea…..

The other question that would be of interest in this discussion is if the standard gathering tools are any sort of significant gold sink.

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Crafting

Eggman.1405

The other question that would be of interest in this discussion is if the standard gathering tools are any sort of significant gold sink.

Gold sink, yes, significant, I’m not sure, since the cost of the tools is more than made up for by the profit you will earn from whatever you harvest. A single piece of Orichalcum Ore is going for 5s 75c while the Orichalcum harvesting tool is only 4s 75c thereabouts. I also see so many players in the wild who already have the unlimited use tools that the coin spent on regular tools is probably negligible (negligible compared to things labelled a `gold sink`).

in Crafting

Miku.6297

As far as a gold sink on the current orichalcum tools…

If you take the average price of gems per gold currently 12gold 25S per gets you 100 gems. The cost of the tools was 1000gems… so that means 12g 25s x 10 = 125G. An orichalcum gathering tool costs kitten 125g/4s = 3125… So if you buy 3125 tools you would equal the current gold cost of an infinite tool.

That is a TON of gathering to counter the cost. Obviously convenience does need to be taken into account, not having to carry extras tools incase your current one runs out etc…. Even with that taken into consideration the gold loss for using the normal gathering tools vs the gold spent on an infinite one is marginal at best.

(edited by Miku.6297)

in Crafting

Posted by: Mukk.3402

Mukk.3402

People don’t spend $10 on a mining pick because it has pretty flashes. They do it because it’s unlimited and in at least one case offers additional items (sprockets).

I’d be in favor of this if they made it very very very difficult to craft, maybe 1/2 as hard as a legendary, but then why? You can just farm the gold and buy it yourself from the gem store. It’s certainly not cost effective. You’d have to tap a trillion ore veins to get your money back, but meh. If they made a mild recipe for a skinless unlimited harvest tool, would you refund everyone’s gems? I’m sure 95% of the people that bought them with gems didn’t do it for the pretty flashies, they did it for the convenience and the sprockets.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mukk.3402

Mukk.3402

Maybe a legendary sicle/axe/pick would be a nice idea. Make it as difficult to craft as a legendary weapon. Make the legendary tool unlimited uses, and have a 15% chance of gathering an additional material on use.

I actually kind of like that.

in Crafting

Eggman.1405

That is a TON of gathering to counter the cost. Obviously convenience does need to be taken into account, not having to carry extras tools incase your current one runs out etc…. Even with that taken into consideration the gold loss for using the normal gathering tools vs the gold spent on an infinite one is marginal at best.

Of course the infinite tools are a far superior value. Unless I misread it, the comment was how much of a money sink the regular tools are. This would matter since if we were allowed to craft our own tools, ANet is potentially losing a large gold sink. With the current existence of infinite tools, I think that ship has sailed already.

in Crafting

Miku.6297

Of course the infinite tools are a far superior value. Unless I misread it, the comment was how much of a money sink the regular tools are. This would matter since if we were allowed to craft our own tools, ANet is potentially losing a large gold sink. With the current existence of infinite tools, I think that ship has sailed already.

Right that was the question, which is what I answered… The current limited tools are hardly noteworthy in terms of money a money sink.

Maybe my comment wasn’t clear, when I said “That is a TON of gathering to counter the cost” I ment you would have to buy and use a ridiculous amount of harvesting tools too equal the cost of the infinite tools. So the “gold sink” on normal tools is negligible.

If we could craft infinite tools at roughly the same cost as the current infinite ones, what gold sink of merit would A-net be loseing?

in Crafting

Edenfer.9816

The current permanent tools can be bought with gold after you exchange it to gems. And for the hundredth time, they don’t make a dime from the exchange, it’s a virtual item traded for another.

All I’m asking for is the option to pay for it with gold and other in-game materials
and maybe just maybe have an adventure while doing so, you know like in a game. Outrageous right?

It changes nothing for people who like to farm gold or pay real money, it’s a new alternative.

in Crafting

Miku.6297

But what is the point of this new alternative? You stated yourself you currently DO have the option to pay for it with gold… (and other materials if you sell them for gold). What’s stopping you from going out and having an adventure and just using gold made from adventuring and selling things found on your adventure to buy it?

It certainly changes how the item is acquired, and the value of the “limitless” utility would obviously be effected by a new method of getting it.

Would you be happy if crafting one required “legendary” or close to it levels of effort, I think the big concern is adding a new method of acquisition (if much easier then the current) would be frowned upon by all the people who already bought one through the current methods.

in Crafting

Edenfer.9816

Crafting the item is the point ^^
I have already purchased many things from the shop with exchanged gold.
But I always found it more fulfilling to craft an item in-game. It’s more fun for me.
I’m not asking for an easier way, just a different one.

Would it change the value of the permanent items? It all depends on the required ingredients. I’ll leave it to the game designers to find a recipe with an appropriate cost.

Legendary level? Not really worth it. It’s a convenience item after all.

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m wondering if some of you understand the concept of a true gold sink. When you buy something from a vendor (like an Ori gathering tool), that gold is DESTROYED and permanently removed from the game system. When you sell Ori on the TP (that you gathered with the above tools) another 15% in TP fees are removed. At NO Point is any gold generated into the system during that process.

“Gold Sink” is not any reference to value or cost / income of any individual players bank, but the amount of gold an item or action permanently REMOVES from the game. In any MMO it is HIGHLY important that gold be removed from the game economy in a controlled and monitored manner.

Again the important question is how much gold do vendor gathering tool sales remove from the game. If it is a significant amount then this suggestion would never fly.

On the other hand, the perma-tools DO currently exist, so that might be an indication that the gold sink from vendor tools is insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)