Taxes are way too high.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Direngrey.8376

Direngrey.8376

Seems like there are some realism in the game, taxes being high ( Not trying to be funny )

Most of my income comes from CoF farming and crafting and selling for profits.

With the taxes, I get less than how much it actually takes to craft the item.

I mean I guess it’s okay if there are taxes, but I think 15% is way too much.

Or change the TP to show you exactly how much you’re selling for, instead of getting someones hopes up.

Sell an item for 10g ( yay! ) only get like 9g 1s and 10c out of it, not cool.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dragoon.9536

Dragoon.9536

welcome to the real world and id wished the ingame taxes go toward an epic event to start once when one trillion gold is earned through ingame gold tax.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Greenthumb Legacy.6549

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

Yes, though unlike the real world where taxes fund necessities like Fire Dept, Police and Fully Funded Lifetime Healthcare for Senators and Representatives, in GW2 it’s merely a gold sink. Remove gold from the economy. I agree 15% is too high.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Icepick.5210

Icepick.5210

15% tax is quite low, I’m not quite sure you have a grasp on just how much the average person in the United States is taxed, let alone any European country (which generally have even higher taxes).

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Greenthumb Legacy.6549

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

For an ingame gold sink I believe its steep. In the US I’m at around 22% + -. Other games Ive played taxed at 10% for AH/TP transactions.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zartheon.5874

Zartheon.5874

Is this a game with a fantasy setting or the real world?
Following the GW2 storyline, you become one of the saviours of the world who all intelligent beings should celebrate forever. Likely, taxes should be used to pay you.
Don’t try to make comparisons to find a sense in their existence: they are just another money sink.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

why do you care about that tax.. the higher the better. makes your gold worth more. lets say you sell something for 100, tax takes away 15. you end up with 85. if there was no tax you’d still have 100 right? but so would everybody else. and that’s bad, as it would increase luxury item prices a lot.

kill all ze thingz

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

I can’t believe some of the kitten people qq about.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

I agree.

People are playing 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week and some a third character. Charrs can’t afford to take care of their children, feed their children breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The taxes are TOO kitten HIGH.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Daulnay.4971

Daulnay.4971

The taxes have two parts, the 10% you pay as a sales fee, and a 5% listing fee. They accomplish different things.
The split tax introduces meaningful choice into the decision to list. You can list at a sure-to-sell price, and pay 15%. You can list at a higher price, and perhaps have to relist later at a lower one, losing your first 5%. Having to make a considered choice is part of what makes games interesting, and is good game design (you can find several essays about this at the Magic the Gathering website, in Mark Rosewater’s ‘Making Magic’ column).
The sales fee balances different activities in the game. Without the transaction cost, some people would spend a lot of time just buying and selling. Playing the TP would be the easiest way to make gold, spoiling the game. The sales fee makes it harder (but far from difficult) to make gold playing the TP, putting it in line with the effort required to make gold through other activities.

Do the taxes make more sense now?

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

It really should all even out in the end. With higher taxes, people should charge more on tp to make up the difference. It should only throttle the economy with regards to farming, which is fixed value. Other than that its just a bad math tax, screw up your profit margin and the tax will take your profit. :p

Also the comments regarding listing tax keeping things more stable.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

No, the taxes are fine, your just an American.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Daulnay.4971

Daulnay.4971

It really should all even out in the end. With higher taxes, people should charge more on tp to make up the difference. It should only throttle the economy with regards to farming, which is fixed value. Other than that its just a bad math tax, screw up your profit margin and the tax will take your profit. :p

It doesn’t, though. With a sales (and listing) tax, it is harder to make a profit by just trading, and it is riskier to try and manipulate a market. Each cycle of buy-then-sell has to make over 15% instead of 0% (no tax) in order to profit. The added cost of each transaction chokes down pure trading, and discourages it in favor of other activities, like farming. Prices have to make a 15% swing before you see a profit from pure trading now. If it were 1%, there would be a much higher volume of trading (and the T kitten low enough as it is).

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

If something you are crafting isn’t returning a profit it has nothing to do with the amount of taxes.
It’s really a combination of not enough people wanting that particular item and plenty of other people blindly crafting it anyway and then selling at a loss. The smart crafter will study his target market before purchasing the mats.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Believe it or not, that gold sink is helping to keep costs down. Without it, you would have inflation because little to no gold would leave the market. This happens in real life as well. Each year, the US destroys millions of old dollar bills to offset all the new ones being printed.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Completely false that you make less from crafting.

Here is a guide on how to make money through crafting.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

15% is fine.

What’s worse
a.) having your 10g in value only reutrn 8.5g when sold?
or
b.) having your 10g have less purchasing power

It’s obvious

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

Tax is fine.
They should add two things:
1- A 5% tax on bidding orders that are still free atm and mainly used by people playing market and we dont like them.
2- Items like gear, jewels, weapons that you find, drop, craft can be sold on the TP. Once bought they become account bound and can’t be sold again. Once again we don’t like people playing the market.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

It doesn’t, though. With a sales (and listing) tax, it is harder to make a profit by just trading, and it is riskier to try and manipulate a market. Each cycle of buy-then-sell has to make over 15% instead of 0% (no tax) in order to profit. The added cost of each transaction chokes down pure trading, and discourages it in favor of other activities, like farming. Prices have to make a 15% swing before you see a profit from pure trading now. If it were 1%, there would be a much higher volume of trading (and the T kitten low enough as it is).

Figure out your profit margin and price accordingly. If you include the tax in your calculation its the consumer (buyer) that pays it. You set your price, not the game.

If you didnt have to account for tax all prices would be lower and profit would be the same because everyone would stop factoring tax in so no difference to the crafter, at least until inflation starts marching them all upward because gold keeps being produced and not destroyed.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: PrimalFear.4126

PrimalFear.4126

Tax is fine.
1- A 5% tax on bidding orders that are still free atm and mainly used by people playing market and we dont like them.
2- Items like gear, jewels, weapons that you find, drop, craft can be sold on the TP. Once bought they become account bound and can’t be sold again. Once again we don’t like people playing the market.

That’s called Communism, an economic blunder which stagnates growth and availability of goods and services. People that play the market create competition and are responsible for economic growth and quality of life. Granted that’s a real life condition but it has the same “general” effect on the game’s economy as well.

The goal was to create a viable player market that would prevent spam selling in map chat like “Spamaden”, while giving players an alternative to both obtaining items as well as generating funds for themselves.

The current capitalist system accomplishes it’s goal quite well and realistically.

1) Price is a direct result of supply and demand and generates competition between merchant players, which helps to equalize prices.

2)The current tax offers a gold sink that prevents inflation that would leave new players to the game at a massive disadvantage, and that would be further amplified with time.

The system is perfect and does what it is meant to accomplish, nothing needs to be changed.

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

Tax is fine.

So basically what you are saying is that people should pay more for their crafting materials and crafted goods.
If for example you are putting a buy order for 250 vials of powerful blood for 1 copper more than the most expensive buy order you are giving 2.5 silver to people who those vials dropped for.
By selling them again for 1 copper less than the less expensive sell offer you are saving someone 2.5 silver.
Why is this a bad thing?

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

There are some things which will still net you a profit with crafting even after the 15% cut.

If you want to check before you craft something to see if it’s better to sell the mats or craft… you can check that info here:

http://www.gw2spidy.com/

I’ve also made gold playing the market. I see nothing wrong with it.

If some one wants to do a quick sale and just get their cash now and don’t mind taking a small hit… then fine. I’ll put it up for the retail price and take the remaining profit.

It’s just like a sell your gold/jewelry for $ TV ad or pawn shop. Sure you could get more for it yourself if you took the time to properly list it on ebay or list it in the paper, but if you need the $ NOW… then there is a place that’ll give it to you.

If some one manipulates the market and the prices are higher than normal… just wait it out or take advantage of that yourself and sell at that higher price (gw2spidy also has charts on the change prices). While you can make gold trying to manipulate the market there are also risks involved. Trust me there are many people that have lost a LOT of gold trying to do this. If you pay attention to the market you can piggy back on them and get paid without having to take the massive risks they are.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Taxes are way too high.

in Crafting

Posted by: bcd.4352

bcd.4352

No, the taxes are fine, your just an American.

Two things:
1. I work in America, state and federal taxes account for about 35% of my income. This does not include Social Security taxes, or California SDI.
2. “You’re”