This needs to be addressed(Mystic forge and Legendary Pre-cursors)

in Crafting

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

This happens in a lot of MMOs, the main problem is that developers keep kicking down ladders so players who don’t pick up on these mechanics early end up suffering. The only thing arenanet can do now is avoid making too many items worthless, otherwise everyone will be stuck trying to acquire the exact same item.

Right now the only things worth anything are items related to getting legendaries, everything else is barely worth picking up.

in Crafting

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

(Raphyjj.9538
900g are you KITTEN serious? There’s no way in hell he earnt that much without cheating. I hope he gets banned repeatedly in the face.)

Really! How do you know that for sure? So, if I had 900g I should be banned? Even if everything I have done was legit? Even if I play the game as it should be played? I should be banned for having 900g. What? Am I not allowed to earn money in this game? What? You mean I can’t save my money in this game? What a bunch of judgmental trigger happy tarts. Just because a player has 900g doesn’t always mean they cheated or did something wrong. So, in your eyes, must my toon always be a broke miserable freakin peasant? There are some players that are honest and make their gold legitimately. What right do you have to place judgement upon them.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

in Crafting

Posted by: hoon.8567

hoon.8567

Just another example of exploit that ANet refuses to take action against, thus ruining everyone’s chance at legendary.

in Crafting

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

I really wish their was an alternative way to get a precursor. I wouldn’t mind it being extremely difficult so long as I know at the end of the day, when all is said and done, I have a precursor.

It’s very disheartening for me, when I see people make posts where they got their precursor on their second or first attempt with lvl 80 rare greatswords or level 71 exotic axes.

Maybe I’m just a whiner, but I feel like this is just another gold sink in this game. I’ll continue trying this mystic forge method, but there will eventually be a point that i’ll have to call it quits.

in Crafting

Posted by: Nerror.1504

Nerror.1504

I absolutely detest the randomness of it. There’s nothing “Legendary” about pure luck, which is what the current system is based on. Getting 300 gold for the average gamer (work, family, 2-3 hours a day of playtime at most) as the game is now is an almost insurmountable task, if they want to actually have any fun in the game and not only grind for money. All Anet is doing is play right into the gold sellers hands with this, since they are probably cheaper than the gem store.

Get rid of the luck based legendary precursor system please.

Luck based systems can be fun in games if the chance of failure is at MOST 75% and not the current 99.9% chance of failure.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

I absolutely detest the randomness of it. There’s nothing “Legendary” about pure luck, which is what the current system is based on. Getting 300 gold for the average gamer (work, family, 2-3 hours a day of playtime at most) as the game is now is an almost insurmountable task, if they want to actually have any fun in the game and not only grind for money. All Anet is doing is play right into the gold sellers hands with this, since they are probably cheaper than the gem store.

Get rid of the luck based legendary precursor system please.

Luck based systems can be fun in games if the chance of failure is at MOST 75% and not the current 99.9% chance of failure.

lol @ probably. one of my friends spent $200 for 40g via gem shop. i almost cried for him.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

….Getting 300 gold for the average gamer (work, family, 2-3 hours a day of playtime at most) as the game is now is an almost insurmountable task, if they want to actually have any fun in the game and not only grind for money…..

You are assuming that Legendaries are meant for everyone and that the average gamer should get one in a “reasonable amount of time”. Sorry, but you are incorrect on the design intent behind Legendaries.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zhuril.9207

Zhuril.9207

out of 9 4-sets of rares(greatswords) into the mystic forge, I got back 2 exotic greatswords- no pre-cursors

(edited by Zhuril.9207)

in Crafting

Posted by: AsherTalos.6478

AsherTalos.6478

I just crafted 4 rare lvl 80 staffs and threw them in the forge to see about getting a pre cursor or at least an exotic out of it and only got another rare. I am a sad panda.

in Crafting

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

As expected, the chance to get a precursor from 4 rares is probably about 0,2% or less.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

I understand how some people think that these precursors, which once obtained will eventually lead a player to get a legendary, should have a set recipe. They feel that it should be about dedication and skill and mastery of whatever it is you need to master, rather than lucking out. I can’t lie….i feel the same. The way it is now, even the most skilled player in this game, who has put in countless hours playing and mastering everything, may NEVER get a legendary due to chance (unless he dishes out the serious cash for the precursor, and then everything else needed for clovers and whatnot).

While i agree with having a set recipe for precursors, I don’t think that was the way ArenaNet intended Legendaries to be….

Think of the following scenario: There are set recipes for all precursors. Cost 50g each. Many can already afford it and buy it, even just after one month of the game’s release. Within not too long, they will have everything else needed to make their Legendary. Within a few months, maybe, i dont know….1/10 players will have a legendary?….at that point, it’s not considered legendary anymore…it’s just considered rare. A bit more time goes by, and it’s pretty common…and bang, the whole Legendary concept goes out the window.

I think ArenaNet intended the Legendaries to really live up to their name. Ultra-rare. Ultra-difficult to obtain. Dedication and skill, yes…..but they had to add some crazy RNG aspect to make it so they stay Legendary…and only the craziest and most dedicated (and at the same time lucky) players will ever have one.

I’m sorry if i’m crushing many peoples dreams here…but likely, many will not ever get a legendary weapon, either because of not having the resources, time, patience or willpower to acquire one.

(edited by Mario Lemieux.9107)

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

Are legendary weapons in real life legendary because they require RNG to get? No because they only exist in myths or are said to have special powers eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gungnir, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur. The beares of those weapons certainly didnt have to play the lottery to get them.

in Crafting

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

As said, it just needs to be a different route rather than being about pure gold – 1 million karma, 10000 badges, WHATEVER! Just something other than RNG luck.

in Crafting

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

There is nothing RNG about saving up gold and buying a precursor off the TP. If you dont want to spend the time saving for the most expensive items in the game, save 7-8 gold and buy the underwater legendary precursors…

There is no reason that every player in the game should be able to acquire the most rare and prestigious item in the game or it would stop being rare and prestigious.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

@Promega…..EXACTLY!

in Crafting

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

Yes, because getting these, is not enough effort:
Clovers(500k karma minimum, since you need to use obsidian shards to gamble for these in the mystic forge.)
icy rune stones(100g must be bought from a npc),
obsidian shards(525k Karma)
gift of “weapon”,
gift of x Dungeon(500 tokens),
Gift of Battle(250 badges of honor),
Gift of mastery(250x Vicious Fangs + 250x Armored Scale + 250x Vicious Claw+ 250x Ancient Bone),
Gift of Fortune(77 Clovers, 250x Globs of Ectoplasm + Gift of Magic + Gift of Might)

There is nothing prestigious about getting lucky by getting the pre-cursor on your first attempt of throwing 4 weapons into the mystic forge as some lucky players have.

Most people who get these are selling them as they don’t want to deal with getting the other items as they actually require effort to get.

I could very well be wrong, but from the two posts I see above, the players making them obviously don’t understand how supply and demand works or have no interest in getting a legendary themself.

These weapons are very random to get, and the price will only increase more and more an at a quicker pace.

Last week they were 80g, now they are 250-290g. Expect to see them going for 350g next week. Gold isn’t going to be something easy to attain as the weeks continue to go by, and more players figure out how to work the trading post to make money.

More and more methods will be figured out and eventually the only items in high demand will be these legendary precursors, and I can only imagine how much they will cost at that point.

(edited by Celestea.4105)

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

@Promega.7628 But then we are forced to pay a dictated price and reward a lucky guy. I dont want to reward luckyness.

in Crafting

Posted by: Delolith.9645

Delolith.9645

@ Malediktus – This is very short sighted. They are not rewarding JUST randomness and luck. Like someone said….you need to ALSO be legendary lucky to get a legendary. Otherwise just pay the “dictated” price and stop complaining.

Self entitlement never did any good to anyone. The only thing that will provide you is a facesplat on an unmoving wall.

in Crafting

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

Why do people keep throwing the phrase self entitlement around? Let’s try another phrase: elitism.

Apparently some people have this idea that not everyone should have the possibility to obtain a legendary at all. Because this is what’s happening right now. Either you’re the luckiest or the richest and if you’re not you can kiss goodbye any hopes of ever getting a legendary.

The exotic prerequisites are so rare that legendaries are no longer PvE content, they have effectively become economy PvP. I’m literally competing against every other player who wants one and loosing against everyone who can afford to pay more.

All I want is to get my legendary eventually after a lot of hard work. That’s what they should be, a longterm goal that you slowly approach. However because of the curent state of prerequisites, that goal is moving further and further away no matter how much I farm and that to me doesn’t seem okay.

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

@ Malediktus – This is very short sighted. They are not rewarding JUST randomness and luck. Like someone said….you need to ALSO be legendary lucky to get a legendary. Otherwise just pay the “dictated” price and stop complaining.

Self entitlement never did any good to anyone. The only thing that will provide you is a facesplat on an unmoving wall.

Sorry theres no such thing as legendary luck.

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

Apparently some people have this idea that not everyone should have the possibility to obtain a legendary at all.

Everyone should have that possibility, and they do have that possibility.

in Crafting

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

Honestly, how in the world is anyone supposed to know that it’s working incorrectly!? Where are people even discovering HOW to make this items via in game methods? I would really like to know. Supposedly there is information about legendaries and there recipes hidden somewhere in game? Show me lol

I still don’t get it either, you put items in and get some out, how are you meant to know if it’s working or not unless they bring out an official list of forge recipe’s, dusk now cost 200g, the guy with 15 has 3k gold now, dusk use to be 70g, so all this change did was make dusk and dawn so rare that only the super rich and lucky can get them.

If there was an official list of recipe’s and the low level rare’s were on it, the cost to make them would have gone up as the components would be in demand. I think this is the whole problem with this game, they keep everything a secret and only the beta testers and friends of employee’s get the info.

They need to inflate the economy, fire the current economist as he clearly failed, the crafting in this game is worthless and most the items are becoming such too.

Oh and btw i don’t care about legendary’s and have no desire to get one, i play in low graphics mode anyway as the spell effects hurt my eyes. I would buy town clothes if they could be used in pve tho.