Watching silk prices

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Trading post flippers are getting reamed trying to trade this stuff. It looks to me like they’re the only people trading this stuff and they’re buying/selling to each other. The buy/sell spread is getting smaller this afternoon.

I can’t imagine any real player is actually selling this stuff because

1. You can’t farm it. and
2. There is a better profit in selling bolts of Damask. because
3. Most players still don’t have their first set of Ascended armor. and lastly…
4. There isn’t much salvagable material left on the TP either.

The actual amount of silk listed for sale is far smaller than the amounts being traded so the TP players are providing the liquidity in this market, and they are actually keeping prices down.

In short, if the TP players get frustrated and quit flipping this stuff, prices are really going to go nuts.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I’m a real player and I sell every scrap of silk I can find:

1. You can farm it (I know what you mean …. )
2. Their might be better PROFIT but the ROI is lower (I don’t need to get armorsmithing to sell silk)
3. … and most players don’t need Ascended armor .. the stats gain is crap, I have enough AR to do fractals without it.
4. Maybe, but that’s the point of how people make money with farming.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Ralron.8124

Ralron.8124

I’m a real player and I sell every scrap of silk I can find:

1. You can farm it (I know what you mean …. )
2. Their might be better PROFIT but the ROI is lower (I don’t need to get armorsmithing to sell silk)
3. … and most players don’t need Ascended armor .. the stats gain is crap, I have enough AR to do fractals without it.
4. Maybe, but that’s the point of how people make money with farming.

stats gain is not CRap if you are FULLY ascended , even a 5% in damage increase AND more armor!! is decent for END game gear not to mention they also need to keep the game balance so making it TO GOOD would just break the rest of the game.

as for FRACTALS they said that they will add more levels ( past 50) so chances are you WILL probably need the armor unless you plan on getting a kitten tones of 12 AR infusions at what 200gold a pop? (witch would cost you more then armor with out getting the armor and stats bonus)

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

far more people start now to sell damask cause first set done – i crafted today last part

and more damask in tp will bring down prices fast

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Myrias.8732

Myrias.8732

@Romek: True and not true…

True in that less people needing damask will bring down the price.

Not true because the supply for the materials has to catch up with the demand. The materials will rise in price until they meet the cost for Damask. No one will know what that point is until we reach it, but it could be even higher than the current going price for Damask.

Myrias Faust – Mesmer
Victory or Death [VoD] – Yak’s Bend

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Bolts of damask aren’t that difficult to get the mats for to make, just salvage all blues and greens you find. You get plenty of them either champ farming or running around WvW.

I had enough mats built up in about a months time to make I think 15 bolts of damask or so. If your a Pve’er, go to frostgorge and join the champ train there.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Buy Silk at 15 Copper each.
Sell Silk at 1.15 Silver each.
TP players profit because we didn’t flip for a 10 Copper spread.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Ralron.8124

Ralron.8124

Buy Silk at 15 Copper each.
Sell Silk at 1.15 Silver each.
TP players profit because we didn’t flip for a 10 Copper spread.

silk is over 1.3silver ATM and bolts are over 4 silver……

I salvage over 200 blues greens a day and i get about 50% of mats i need for bolt of damask….

that’s NOT viable… i still need to run a few dungeons to make the extra 5 gold for rest of mats…. ( i personally dont mind ) but its still stupid expensive compare to the weapons..

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Myrias.8732

One of two things is going to happen:

1) Damask doesn’t turn a profit, and only the people that need damask craft it, so the price equalizes.
2) The price for the raw materials gets high enough that people can justify farming cloth just to sell on the TP – supply meets demand.

1. is pretty unlikely to happen, and for people to actively farm cloth… the price would have to be pretty high. Needless to say, I’m hoping for #3 -

3) ArenaNet reverts silk bolts to require 2 silk scraps, or reduces the amount of bolts needed per thread, or some combination.

Myrias Faust – Mesmer

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The problem most of you don’t see is that impatient players are willing to pay high prices for Silk. There’s more than enough Supply of Silk on the market, because it was so common and useless for the past year and a half. The fact that 300 Silk scraps are now needed to make 1 Damask doesn’t change anything. Silk is still common as dirt.

Once the initial rush of players making their Ascended armor sets settles down, you’ll see prices slowly creep downward. Damask prices have been tanking lately, since Demand has eased a bit, and Supply is increasing daily.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Myrias.8732

Prices for all of these should drop eventually, but the new equilibrium should be pretty high because people will eventually work on a 2nd set, 3rd set, etc. Obviously no one is gonna try for one anytime soon, but if it gets cheap enough they will.

When it takes 10,000+ scraps per armor set for scholars, I’m honestly curious how long it will take for the silk price to actually even out and drop. It’s got to be on the order of months.

Myrias Faust – Mesmer

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Linen will run out before Silk does, I reckon. The Linen-pocalypse is imminent.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Myrias.8732

Not sure how they will stabilize linen. I should just level a bunch of alts to 60(?) and park them in JP’s just to get linen readily. =)

Myrias Faust – Mesmer

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

stats gain is not CRap if you are FULLY ascended , even a 5% in damage increase AND more armor!! is decent for END game gear not to mention they also need to keep the game balance so making it TO GOOD would just break the rest of the game.

That true but we aren’t talking about FULL ascended, it’s about Silk, which is only necessary for ARMOR. Since the thread is about the ARMOR, then the context of my statement is correct … The stats gain on the ARMOR IS GARBAGE!

as for FRACTALS they said that they will add more levels ( past 50) so chances are you WILL probably need the armor unless you plan on getting a kitten tones of 12 AR infusions at what 200gold a pop? (witch would cost you more then armor with out getting the armor and stats bonus)

If you NEED the armor, then it’s only because you CHOOSE to do fractals beyond a certain level. That’s your choice and therefore you aren’t forced to craft. Only a very limited amount of PVE content in this game requires you to have SOME Ascended armor, even less of that content requires FULL ascended setup.

The number of people ‘being forced’ to craft right now is guaranteed to be a heck of alot more than the number of people who actually NEED Ascended armor for PVE content. Therefore, … people shouldn’t really be complaining about the supply; they are crafting something that has 1) A very small impact on their build and 2) something they are likely to not actually need RIGHT NOW.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Pemburu.8143

Pemburu.8143

Not sure how they will stabilize linen. I should just level a bunch of alts to 60(?) and park them in JP’s just to get linen readily. =)

Just need 1 lvl 52-60 toon. Put him/her at the bank and then run one of the champ trains with your 80. Store bags in bank and let the lvl 52-60 open the boxes/bags. A lot more gear to salvage than relying on JPs.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

Just need 1 lvl 52-60 toon. Put him/her at the bank and then run one of the champ trains with your 80. Store bags in bank and let the lvl 52-60 open the boxes/bags. A lot more gear to salvage than relying on JPs.

What if all of your characters are level 80 and you have no character slots left?
Instead of finding ways to circumvent bad design how about the developers of this game correct the error?

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

What makes you think isn’t intentional?

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Linen supply is doing fine from what I’ve seen. It has dipped low, but then people bought bags that contained linen etc. plus there is a spot where you can farm linen bearing mobs that respawn very quickly if it comes down to it (the same spot where the defend the supply guild mission happens)… the supply seems pretty stable now.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Batdogi.7142

Batdogi.7142

I sell all the silk I get. I even have a tailor leveled to 402. I’m not bothering with ascended armor till Q2 2014. so I figure I may as well take the profits while I can.

“Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.”
? Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

That true but we aren’t talking about FULL ascended, it’s about Silk, which is only necessary for ARMOR. Since the thread is about the ARMOR, then the context of my statement is correct … The stats gain on the ARMOR IS GARBAGE!

You may think the stat gain is garbage for Ascended armor, but it won’t stay that way. Only Ascended gear has infusion slots — I’m betting Anet will use infusion slots as the next vertical grind .. we’ll slowly see the stat ceiling increase on infusions, forcing people to go Ascended.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

You may think the stat gain is garbage for Ascended armor, but it won’t stay that way. Only Ascended gear has infusion slots — I’m betting Anet will use infusion slots as the next vertical grind .. we’ll slowly see the stat ceiling increase on infusions, forcing people to go Ascended.

This is exactly the problem with Ascended to begin with. Those infusion slots can bring any number of infusable materials for more power creep. Players were talking about this when the first trinkets became available from running Fractals.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

It doesn’t mean that everyone needs to go out and craft their Ascended armor RIGHT NOW when it’s the MOST expensive time to do it, which is my point. Furthermore, a stat ceiling increase on infusions will not force anyone to craft Ascended armor. Content that requires more AR than you can get from Ascended trinkets and Weapons will.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

I can’t remember the last time I saw a scrap.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

I consider myself someone who plays a lot. I haven’t had problems with crafting the time-gated t7 materials such as Lump of Mithrillium and Glob of Elder Spirit Residue.

But today I ran out of Silk and I am unable to make my daily Spool of Silk Weaving Thread. You need 300 silk scraps in order to craft the Spool but during my daily activities I can only get around 100 scraps.

I tried farming silk scraps in Frostgorge Sound but at the rate they are dropping I would probably still not have enough by the end of the day. Therefore I am forced to buy the silk scraps from the trading post for around 4g. I can only imagine everyone will be doing the same as demand will exceed supply. Which will soon lead to inflation of silk prices.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

There is currently a lump of about 80k silk scraps for sale at 2s per scrap. That’s not even enough scrap for 300 players to make their daily bolt of Damask.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

6s atm, Linen-pocalypse is upon us.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Linen still drops in game, so i doubt we will run out.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

The one reliable farm just got nerfed to the ground.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Content that requires more AR than you can get from Ascended trinkets and Weapons will.

Rising player stats means content that’s created for exotics gets trivialized. Content will have to be adjusted for the rising stats. And then if you’re not on the grind train, you’re going to be left behind.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Noah.4756

Demand exceeds supplies though. Scarcity drives prices up to a point where both silk and linen becomes too expensive for the majority of players.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Durgum.2567

Durgum.2567

It feels like for whatever reason the silk prices are intentional. A few patches back the number of scraps required to make a bolt was increased to 3 where every other bolt is 2. Further 100 silk is required per ecto combine. Twice the amount of every other ecto combine.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Noah.4756

It feels like for whatever reason the silk prices are intentional. A few patches back the number of scraps required to make a bolt was increased to 3 where every other bolt is 2. Further 100 silk is required per ecto combine. Twice the amount of every other ecto combine.

There was a time, before ascended armor was introduced, when silk prices were equal to vendor prices due to the fact there was no demand for silk. I think this is why the developers initially increased the amount of silk scraps from 2 to 3.

But the introduction of ascended armor changed this and now created a high demand in silk, but also other cloths. I believe the developers made a mistake by increasing the amount of silk scraps from 2 to 3 needed to create bolts of silk. Looking at the current market development this needs to be readjusted to its previous state.

Watching silk prices

in Crafting

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

By playing the game I’m self-sufficient. Admittedly I did stash silk scraps since September (minus a six weeks break) rather than sell it. I’m now over with my ascended armor and I used all my silk. I can still craft one Damask Bolt every two-three days rather than every day by simply playing the game so I don’t mind as I don’t need it.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(edited by Fror.2163)