Weaponsmith @ lvl 400.... where to go from here?

in Crafting

Posted by: LankyBM.3582

LankyBM.3582

Last night I hit the magical 400 mark on weaponsmith, and decided to play around with the gold / mats that I had left…. managed to churn out a exotic item – “Beserkers pearl broadsword:” http://www.gw2db.com/items/56634-berserkers-pearl-broadsword which i was chuffed about, but at a pretty steep expence (say around 3G or so, due to having no ectoplasms/ore so had to purchase them.

I then went to trade, and saw how much the item was going for…. around 3g20 or so (maximum buyer price) – so meaning the profit margin isnt really there for such items at the moment? I listed the item for higher of course, and hopefully when I get back home tonight, it would have sold, but the effort behind it didnt really seem worth the gain.

My question – when you get to this point, what are the things that you should be trying to do in order to maximise profits? I saw that making some rare weapons produced good outcome (maybe 25 silver or so each) but the grind needed behind each one for the mythril, sacs etc… makes it not very viable and not really worth it.

Is it also worth buying sigils to add onto the weapons? or do people prefer to buy them separately due to personal preference?

Are there any helpful fellows wanting to share some tips on how to make some coin? I am just about to hit level 80 (currently 79 and a little ) so good grinding spots / drop areas would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

in Crafting

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

With the current market prices, there is no profit margins for crafted items.

Sorry.

One – Piken Square

in Crafting

LankyBM.3582

Even if you grind a majority of the mats yourself without going via the TP? Obviously being able to make the legendary’s is ultimate aim, but thats a very long way away for most players (which is a good thing , imo)…. but there has to be a way to make some coin and make it sustainable?

in Crafting

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

You make more money by selling the mats you grind than selling the product you would make from them.

Sad but true.

One – Piken Square

in Crafting

LankyBM.3582

but then if people are buying the mats, what are they doing with them? if they become redundant, then the prices should therefore drop – causing the weapons themselves to rise in price?

The big fear I have is that if the mats become cheap, and EVERYONE has 400 weapon/armoursmith (or any really), then what would be the point of doing it in the first place? Mats become cheap, and weapons become cheap… so where is the gain?

in Crafting

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

so where is the gain?

You got loads of EXP by simply crafting stuff? You can now craft your own weapons and armor (with cool skins, I’d asume)? You can craft stuff for your alts?

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

in Crafting

LankyBM.3582

Exp is true, but when you are 80 then it serves no gain. Making stuff for yourself would be good, but in order to get the “cool” stuff takes a long time, and is not really the point of the topic – its to find out the ways to make some money out of it, not for personal gain. Most people are not going to max out a craft before being very close to 80 anyway…and topic revolves more around what happens when you get to 400, not before.

Crafting for alts is good though, although I found that you can pick up 99% of the things you need just from mobs anyway – only the accessories, rings etc… should be really bought during your grind to 80, and even then its only every 15-20 levels you really need to bother.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ravak.5907

Ravak.5907

Here’s a secret. The only profit margins I’ve found to exist are the recipes that are not gained by discovery, are not used to skill up, and only the ones with the most useful stats.

-Do research on items and their prices at various tiers.
-Buy hundreds of mats at low cost when you can.
-If the profit margin is too low, don’t make it, don’t sell it.
-Keep an eye on the prices of your target items every day.
-Remember, you have to spend money to make money.

in Crafting

Posted by: Drojdier.8563

Drojdier.8563

First of all, when the profit margins are so small, why would you expect someone to simply give you access to his own gold mine? Here’s a pickaxe as well !

Second, games should not be about top performance or highest profit – at least not for everyone. Some people (myself included) actually like to craft stuff – for sale, for personal use, for alts, etc; it gives me a certain satisfaction.

If something, I would like crafting to be more interactive (like EQ2) and a long-term endeavor – in my opinion it should take close to a year to reach 400 and even more to be able to craft all or most of the stuff. But that’s a different discussion

in Crafting

LankyBM.3582

Here’s a secret. The only profit margins I’ve found to exist are the recipes that are not gained by discovery, are not used to skill up, and only the ones with the most useful stats.

-Do research on items and their prices at various tiers.
-Buy hundreds of mats at low cost when you can.
-If the profit margin is too low, don’t make it, don’t sell it.
-Keep an eye on the prices of your target items every day.
-Remember, you have to spend money to make money.

All those are valid points and taken on board – the inscriptions are certainly key to it I feel, but there are not a “crazy” ammount in order to be different. The most types are fairly common place, which is a shame.

First of all, when the profit margins are so small, why would you expect someone to simply give you access to his own gold mine? Here’s a pickaxe as well !

Second, games should not be about top performance or highest profit – at least not for everyone. Some people (myself included) actually like to craft stuff – for sale, for personal use, for alts, etc; it gives me a certain satisfaction.

If something, I would like crafting to be more interactive (like EQ2) and a long-term endeavor – in my opinion it should take close to a year to reach 400 and even more to be able to craft all or most of the stuff. But that’s a different discussion

I understood fully that it wouldnt be a quick money making scheme (and wouldnt want it to be), hence why i was asking for tips of the trade to help me on my way. I more am trying to find out the places to start digging, areas to focus on rather than doing what I did in my OP (make that exotic GS)… still not sure if that was a right thing to do or not. I absolutely loved the fact that I made it, and although it wasnt really my “style” of item, the process behind it was great and has not detered me one bit…infact, its why I made this topic, to find out what else i can do! Thanks for the feedback though guys.

in Crafting

Posted by: LordVictorXII.1390

LordVictorXII.1390

I’ve got 400 Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing…while there is little profit on the MARKET, I’ve made some money on crafting specifics for people. They supply materials(via mail), and I return the finished good in exchange for payment, which is usually more than I’d profit on the market had I crafted the item and sold it, but less than they’d lose buying it relative to buying materials(Due to the Trading Post fees, selling a 3g item for 3.2g is actually negative, while having someone give me 15 silver and materials for the weapon earns a net profit of 15s)