What to salvage, with what kits, and why.

in Crafting

Posted by: ZiggyD.1689

ZiggyD.1689

Some of the Key Points for those who prefer to read:

‘chance of rare’ means chance for higher tier for salvage scraps etc. For example, gossamer instead of silk from salvage rags. The % increase in chance is actually a percentage increase on a base percentage chance. This effectively means that the gains for the more expensive packs are far less then you would think.

Crude Kits – fine for the early levels but there are a few % points difference from testing by InquisitiveMyth. Stack size is the killer.

Basic Kits – are the everyman kit. Use for whites and salvage scraps for the rest of the game.

Black lion for getting upgrades back.

Mystic for lvl 70+ rares.

Wood is not worth salvaging.
Metals are borderline.
Wools etc are usually well worth it.

Thanks to redditor Marko_Oktabyr and Inquisitive_Myth for some of the data.
If I missed anything please let me know, I try to be as thorough as possible but I sometimes miss things or make

in Crafting

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Mystic Salvage kits have a 25% chance to get rare materials. 80% chane to get runes back.

Black lion salvage kits have a 50% chance to get rare materials. 100% chance to get runes back.

So if your after rare materials ( eg ecto’s ) black lion has double the chance to net you rare materials.

in Crafting

Posted by: ZiggyD.1689

ZiggyD.1689

You may be right. However, Most people I have spoken to on that topic say that BLkits are too expensive to be worth it. I’m also pretty sceptical of the tooltips after reading inquisitive_myth’s blog.

http://inquisitive-myths.blogspot.se/2012/10/gw2-salvaging-scraps-which-kit-to-use.html

in Crafting

Posted by: aRTy.8951

aRTy.8951

Mystic Salvage kits have a 25% chance to get rare materials. 80% chane to get runes back.

Black lion salvage kits have a 50% chance to get rare materials. 100% chance to get runes back.

So if your after rare materials ( eg ecto’s ) black lion has double the chance to net you rare materials.

Well, no. If the recent studies are correct with their conclusions, the tooltips are misleading. Salvaging itself seems to have base percentages for different outcomes and the chances stated by the kits only modify these base values.

I read of 11% base chance for rarer materials, but whether this number is correct or not, just use it as an example. If you used the mystic kit with its 25% better chance, that would increase the 11% by 25% to a total of 13.75%. The black lion kit would increase our 11% by 50% to a total of 16.5%. Yes, it is better, but far away from doubled.

in Crafting

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

I find the Black Lion Salvage kit gives me much more ecto from salvaging yellows, I’ve done tests myself and I average more ecto when I use the Black Lion Salvage kit.

Same goes with the mystic salvage kit for salvaging yellows, I get more silk and gossamer. I’ll run my own tests and post the results later.