Where do I get Wool at 80?

in Crafting

Posted by: ToxicToothpick.4396

ToxicToothpick.4396

It seems I am not allowed to scrap vender whites anymore, so where the heck am I supposed to obtain vast amounts of wool while level 80?
Gear drops scale up, past wool levels, due to my level and without vendor scrapping I don’t see any way to get it in bulk beyond the TP.

(I’d rather scrap for monthly anyways)

in Crafting

Posted by: AXLORD.2045

AXLORD.2045

You can obtain low-level gear in bags I think.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zak.8274

Zak.8274

Make an alt?

15alts

in Crafting

Posted by: Lappdancer.4857

Lappdancer.4857

While some gear does scale up, I’d say the majority does not. My experience as a 80 in the level 1-15 zones is at least a good 75% of the items are for the level of the zone and not my current level.

in Crafting

Posted by: LinseyMurdock

LinseyMurdock

Game Designer

Next

While some gear does scale up, I’d say the majority does not. My experience as a 80 in the level 1-15 zones is at least a good 75% of the items are for the level of the zone and not my current level.

WvW DOES scale all loot to your level, but PvE does not. I don’t know the exact percentage but it’s not a big number, I am sure. We wanted you to be able to go back to low level PvE maps to farm for low level mats.

Lead Designer – Living World

in Crafting

Posted by: MacGuffin.2456

MacGuffin.2456

Linsey, are you sure all WvW loot scales? I was getting level 16 drops in WvW just yesterday (on my 80). I was getting level 80 drops too, but it seems to be a mix just like when I’m in a lower level zone. I’m not complaining, the jute I’ve gotten is more valuable than the silk.

in Crafting

Previous

LinseyMurdock

Game Designer

Next

I dug a little deeper and it seems that the loot system for WvW is a little more nuanced than I initially thought, and doesn’t always scale the loot to YOUR level. Which explains how you were getting lower level mats.

in Crafting

Posted by: MacGuffin.2456

MacGuffin.2456

I suspected such, now I’ll feel bad every time I get jute off a player in WvW. Poor guy didn’t stand a chance.

in Crafting

Posted by: Beltronz.8517

Beltronz.8517

I do have a question about out leveling items. . . . Is this the reason I can no longer salvage items I had equipped 5 levels back? What things are salvageable and what things are not?
I have noticed that a lot of things that I had once equipped are not salvageable vs those things that are still not bound to anyone. Any thoughts?

in Crafting

Previous

LinseyMurdock

Game Designer

We went through all of the items sold for Karma and made them No Salvage to address some issues with players converting karma into coin. That’s probably what you are seeing.

in Crafting

Posted by: SirUrza.8067

SirUrza.8067

WvW DOES scale all loot to your level, but PvE does not. I don’t know the exact percentage but it’s not a big number, I am sure. We wanted you to be able to go back to low level PvE maps to farm for low level mats.

This can’t be true or it’s not working right.

I’ve wasted a 4 days now on tier 1 and tier 2 leather and cloths and still haven’t gotten my leatherworking caught up to my jewelcrafting. I’m level 42.. I spent 3 days in Queensdale farming rawhide leather and jute.. the only time I got it was from loot bags. Any gear I got was level appropriate to my character and salvaged into either thin or coarse leather.

Now I’m looking for thin leather in Gendarran Fields and it’s the same deal. I’m only getting thin leather from bags, not from loot I can salvage, it all salvages into Coarse.

in Crafting

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

My level 36 spent some time in Caledon Forest and got loot ranging from no lvl requirement, up to lvl 29 loot. You may just be unlucky(or lucky, since I personally want to get more higher level loot :p )

in Crafting

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

So… that’s three posts by a designer that didn’t answer the question.

Let me up the ante then.

In order to salvage high level items, I equip high level tools. Orichalcium.

If I need a few pieces of soft wood or copper, I either spend money on the TP (when it works) or use my incredibly expensive tools or carry multiple sets of tools.

So… is this what you wanted?

It’s a simple question really. If you wanted these things to happen, say so. Then I can decide how my philosophy fits with yours.

If you didn’t intend it, say so. For the same reason.

And lastly, where do we find wool at 80?

in Crafting

Posted by: Mercurial Wit.9450

Mercurial Wit.9450

She did answer your question though, with her first post no less. PvE loot doesn’t scale to your level so all you have to do is go a zone where tier 2 mats are dropped and you’ll be able to get it off any cloth armour you salvage. That being said, I’ve noticed that chest rewards have scaled but you generally don’t want to salvage them anyway so it isn’t a huge issue.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sisho.5431

Sisho.5431

She did answer your question though, with her first post no less. PvE loot doesn’t scale to your level so all you have to do is go a zone where tier 2 mats are dropped and you’ll be able to get it off any cloth armour you salvage. That being said, I’ve noticed that chest rewards have scaled but you generally don’t want to salvage them anyway so it isn’t a huge issue.

That might be what she said, but I know for a fact this is not true. On my level 80 I have gone back to level 1-15 zones and such to play with friends or my girlfriend and found level 70+ items off these mobs. That sounds like the loot is scaling up to me. Sure the loot bags and stuff are standard but while I do find a few low level items here and there I find equal amounts of my level items and such, and have in all areas I’ve been to.

I am pretty sure what was meant if you read the post is that she says that ALL loot in WvW is supposed to scale, but not in PvE. So in other words, ALL loot in PvE does not scale, but still a fair amount does.That should answer any questions here. In reality though, it would be ineffective to farm wool on a level 80 to whoever is needing it since you will still be finding level 70+ gear in there. I suggest you either get a new character up around level 25 or so and just go farm it on them for a while, or just buy it off the TP when it is up…the stuff is pretty darn cheap lol.

Level 80 Elementalist/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer
Leader and founder of [BIO] on Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Sisho.5431)

in Crafting

Posted by: Caprila.4951

Caprila.4951

It is a little bizarre.

I’ve been doing harathi hinterlands (35-45 zone) on my level 80, and found the same. I was hoping for a lot of lower level crafting mats to help out my alts, but 75% of the loot has all been level 70+.

I probably shouldn’t complain about how many green level 75 items I got from level 37 centaurs, or the couple of 76 gold staves.

But being an avid crafter, I actually would have prefered half a stack of wool, scales, fangs etc)

If you can only farm lower level ingreedients on appropriate level characters, it is going to make them much harder to acquire :/

in Crafting

Posted by: Strider.2756

Strider.2756

Let the low levels farm that stuff, you guys are thinking backwards.

Go farm whatever is selling highest in ore, wood and cooking supplies, sell that, buy the lower level cloth/leather that you need. It’s much faster and helps lower level players with some income.

in Crafting

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

I went back to Lornar’s and the Hoelbrak starting zones the other night and noticed that I was getting mostly drops for that level, but this led me to something else that cheesed me off a bit:

I carry Orichalcium (e.g. VERY EXPENSIVE) node tools and I forgot about it until I had used half a stack happily gathering up copper, iron, onions, soft wood etc.

At 4s per stack, I spent something like 6s in tools to gather what? Maybe 1s worth of stuff?

Although I have to admit, I did sell 4 onions to some desperate crafter in /map in Lion’s Arch for 50c later since TP was down.

But… shouldn’t a strong, expensive tool like an Orichalcium mining pick be able to handle a LOT of wimpy copper ore? I mean… is it such a weird idea that if I have to use the hardest material on Tyria to mine Orichalcium or mithril AT ALL, that it should basically never, ever wear out on lesser stuff?

/rant off.

in Crafting

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

No idea what people are doing that I’m not, or what I’m doing that you’re not.

I’ve only gotten appropriate-to-mob’s-level items (like fangs, claws, dust, sacs, etc.) in lower-level zones. Also, I’d say that more than 50% of my salvageable gear drops are mob-level-appropriate, not character appropriate. After completing Caledon, I had a mostly-full bag that contained 2 high level items and the rest were zone level ones. Finally, the only items I cannot salvage are those from Karma vendors.

Btw, why was it bad for people to want to turn Karma into cash?

in Crafting

Posted by: soulmonarch.3657

soulmonarch.3657

We went through all of the items sold for Karma and made them No Salvage to address some issues with players converting karma into coin. That’s probably what you are seeing.

You guys also made all regular (coin) vendor armor/weapons non-salvageable.

I really can’t see why either… if I want to buy 30 pieces of armor and salavage them for cloth, it’s MY money being wasted. There really isn’t much room for exploiting.

in Crafting

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

1. I just, this past weekend, spent 24 hours farming kitten wool, cotton, and linen on my level 80 in level 25-65 zones. The direct loot drops are about half and half low level / my level. The bag drops are 100% low level.

If you think you’re getting all “your level” drops in low level zones, you’re on crack.

2. If you’re actually going to spend any significant amount of time gathering low level mats from nodes, BUY A LOWER TIER GATHERING TOOL. JFC.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Crafting

Posted by: Wobels.1679

Wobels.1679

heres what ya do magic find load it up go back to the smaller zones. farm your mats humanoids for cloth stuff for the most part. enjoy it works i had to do it to catch my leatherworking up.

in Crafting

Posted by: NoxMaelstrom.1856

NoxMaelstrom.1856

I really can’t see why either… if I want to buy 30 pieces of armor and salavage them for cloth, it’s MY money being wasted. There really isn’t much room for exploiting.

This would allow one to control the market via items bought outside of the market. Now if vendor prices adjusted based on the market (I believe UO did this) then it would be a different story.

in Crafting

Posted by: Caprila.4951

Caprila.4951

1. I just, this past weekend, spent 24 hours farming kitten wool, cotton, and linen on my level 80 in level 25-65 zones. The direct loot drops are about half and half low level / my level. The bag drops are 100% low level.

If you think you’re getting all “your level” drops in low level zones, you’re on crack.

2. If you’re actually going to spend any significant amount of time gathering low level mats from nodes, BUY A LOWER TIER GATHERING TOOL. JFC.

Your comment about level drops isn’t helpful at all. I could start posting screenshots of level 70 items dropping from level 30 centaurs, but I’m sure someone with your attitude wouldn’t believe those either. Hopefully a dev will answer us at some point, and set things straight.

I’d love to buy some more copper mining picks on my level 80. But since the last patch, I’m no longer able to purchase anything but mithril or ori ones at any merchant at any level, in any zone. Which is odd :/

in Crafting

Posted by: Sparkie.3465

Sparkie.3465

As far as I know, you can drop 4x of the vendor items into the mystic forge still. It’s a less efficient way to go, but it does allow you to convert karma gear or vendor-bought gear to salvageable items. I don’t know if there are combinations that improve your odds of getting a certain armor class so that you could more easily obtain wool specifically.

in Crafting

Posted by: Tora.8610

Tora.8610

This would allow one to control the market via items bought outside of the market. Now if vendor prices adjusted based on the market (I believe UO did this) then it would be a different story.

Not really, all this would do is create an upper limit on a basic crafting material (which I’d argue is a good thing, since the limiters on the crafts tend to be on the claw/scale/totem…etc anyway). Especially since there’s nodes for the other crafts.. I don’t really see why its bad to have a decent enough supply for leather/cloth… they may have to adjust the salvage no/rate or item prices a bit (don’t know what they are right now since I’ve never bought them) but if it comes out between costing 10~30c per piece salvaged, I don’t see why not.