Why Ascended Armor So Fugly ?

in Crafting

Posted by: razn.7160

razn.7160

Hi,

I’ve just seen the codes for the Wuppwupp sets or whatever they’re called.
Why are they so ugly ? They look like cozy royal fashion more than epic fighting armor. Would an adventurer were this ? I’ve been playing GW2 since launch and am an old WoW vet, I’d love for Anet to release some cool armors and not sets coming straight out of whatever that is.

I mean, have you seriously tried to see what a Charr looks like in this ?
http://puu.sh/4FDW4.jpg

How on earth did this get approved ? ? ?

Anyways, to check ingame the sets for yourself: Heavy [&AgE4uwAA][&AgE5uwAA][&AgE6uwAA][&AgE7uwAA][&AgE8uwAA][&AgE9uwAA] Medium [&AgFEuwAA][&AgFFuwAA][&AgFGuwAA][&AgFHuwAA][&AgFIuwAA][&AgFJuwAA] Light [&AgE+uwAA][&AgE/uwAA][&AgFAuwAA][&AgFBuwAA][&AgFCuwAA][&AgFDuwAA]

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Subjective.

I like it. Some pieces I find are terrible (like helm) but the pants and the chest are nice. There may be people out there who like the helm, and good for them. The more choices, the better.

Keep in mind that some of the best armors in the game are a combination of different sets rather than one.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Crafting

Posted by: Hanako.1827

Hanako.1827

It is pretty bad….

in Crafting

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

You wondering this after they implemented fairy neon wings? I mean,… except jade weapons and Braham set, all the rest that was implemented in the last year was horrible and far from the original concept art.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Crafting

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I hate them already -.-’
It hurts my designer eyes, and its not the first time happens…

• →; Go D&D; Medieval, Renaissance & Steampunk!! *

Attachments:

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

(edited by RoyalPredator.9163)

in Crafting

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I don’t understand why they would do this to us. The hardcore player in me NEEDS this armor because, well, stats. The casual player in me says wtf, looks ugly as hell, no way am I gonna get that.

RIP in peace Robert

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I don’t understand why they would do this to us. The hardcore player in me NEEDS this armor because, well, stats. The casual player in me says wtf, looks ugly as hell, no way am I gonna get that.

Then transmute?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Crafting

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Transmuting is obvious, but the availability of transmutation stones should not prevent people from giving ANet feedback when they do or don’t like a new armor set.

In my opinion, these armors are absolutely horrendous, and a borderline embarrassment to the artistry that I’ve come to expect from ANet.

EDIT: They look far better on female characters, and it’s obvious that the armors were designed primarily for them, rather than their male counterparts.

(edited by Vick.6805)

in Crafting

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

First we get lame looking Ascended Weapons,now it has matching ugly Ascended Armor.

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think they look crap, but then again, no one is crafting Ascended gear because it’s nice looking either so I don’t see the issue.

in Crafting

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I just wish they would quite with the face masks for light armor. Even if you like them most of them clip the hair so badly it makes me crazy. Why make something that bugs out like that. I will never show something that clips. This one is no exception with the hair I have now on my memser.. it is horrible with clipping everywhere.

in Crafting

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

I don’t like it at well. The designers don’t listen to what the community says, so this thread won’t help….

I really don’t wanna imagine how boring, unsexy and unstylish the legendary armor will be looking like… that will be a nightmare. The motivation to play sinks more and more cuz of the lack of long term goals, which a nice skin would have been.

(edited by EthanLightheart.9168)

in Crafting

Posted by: lokone.3597

lokone.3597

no body neeed ascended stats to do PVE or cometitive pvp, they are ing because of the crys of the comuninty that still looking at gw2 like any other games with gear based on pvp stats to auto-atack other player and “feel powerful”.

ascended is the gear to grind to have advantage at assaults or “open pvpve”. only ingame for that kind of plyaers, but is useless and not needed for other things.

same as the rewards in general, i dont feel forced to grind any gear to play gw2, i can FARM my gear really fast.

thats why i dont like games based on pvp stats, and, on time get bored of assault (PvPvE) mechanics at any game.

There is not a need of new tier, only a need for skins, the fail was from anet introducing an useless tier only for the crys.

i’m happy to have PVE and Spvp stats needs intact, but sad to see how bad-designed or too much “baroque” are the new skins.

in Crafting

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

All the girls swoon when I show my ascended pistols to them in the club (laptop ftw). That’s why I’m getting it. Can’t wait to see what they do when I’m in full ascended armor.

People are tin foil hatting that this is a way to get people to buy more transmuation stones/gem shop armor skins.

I know I’ll be getting some… so if that was their plot… it’s working.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Crafting

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

OMG THAT IS SO UGLY!!!!!!!

in Crafting

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

so that ANET can sell beautiful and awesome looking skins at TP……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

When they finally decide to make them?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

The opinion of the appearance of the ascended armor sets is going to be subjective, no matter how you look at it. I personally have to say that there are only a couple pieces of heavy that I’d even think of keeping the original skin on, and that’s the gloves, boots, and chest. If/when I make this armor I’ll be changing a couple skins.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

in Crafting

Posted by: Cinder.2056

Cinder.2056

I think Light and Medium armors both look very decent. As someone said its purely subjective.

But i do agree with the helm being a little bit… toilet like.

in Crafting

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Subjectivity aside, my one concern is that the way the heavy chest is designed makes your character look fat and diminishes the chest. This is really bad for humans and norns (both sexes). There is something about the way the bands on the stomach and the design of the pectoral/breast covering looks that makes the chest look small and the stomach look big, and I dislike that very much.

I realize that ArenaNet has a very strong vision for armor and weapon designs, and I feel strongly the heavy ascended chest pieces could be redone in support of that vision while providing that much-desired heroic shape to the chest.

The obstacle is the path.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I saw the stats and they’re very underwhelming compared to what trinkets gave. Unless they change the stats, I see no reason to rush to get them.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Then transmute?

So, they put the least amount of effort into armor design so that they could force the players to buy gems to get crystals to transmute?

Win-Win for Anet

RIP in peace Robert

in Crafting

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

They’re okay. I’ve checked out the armors on a few different models and they aren’t bad over all. There are some nice pieces, here. I like that the helms are a departure from the more typical styles we get with other sets. I don’t know that I will use any of the helms on my characters, but I like having the option.

Although the sets are nice enough, I am a little disappointed that this is what ANet chose to go with for Ascended gear. It’s not very daring. This is going to be the top-tier gear until/unless legendary armors come out. I was hoping for something a little more eye-catching and provocative. Looks like the designers decided to play it safe this time.

I DO like the “fan” design element we see in the heavy armor particularly. I would have liked to have seen that element extend to more pieces in the set, particularly in the other armor categories. Also, the shingled-discs element on the medium armor sleeve is very nice — excellent choice there.

Really not sure about the female/human/heavy helmet. In general I object to any helm that is going to completely hide the character’s face, and more so when the piece hides the entire head. I think a nice crown or coronet would have been a better choice here.

The Medium armor set wins out, over all. Nice design choices and good variety.

The Heavy set is too similar to other pieces already in the game and doesn’t really distinguish itself, but it is still okay.

The Light set is the most disappointing, as we see the whole doublet/skirt/leggings design AGAIN. Nothing new or exciting, here.

I give the sets 3/5 “stars”. They are nice enough, with some excellent pieces, but over all do not really pique my interest in the way I would have liked “end-game” gear to do. I give bonus points for the elegance of some of the pieces, but take away points for an overall lack of daring.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I don’t know if I’d use the skins myself, I don’t think they’re “bad”. In fact, I’m rather impressed by the amount of detail that’s gone into the Ascended armor skins (similar to the Dragon’s Jade weapons). I’m getting a very Byzantine/Renaissance feel from these armors, which, while they may not be my cup of tea, could be very appealing to the right audience.

in Crafting

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Because necros and elementalists totally want those jester leggings…

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Crafting

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

I really wanted to hate ascended armour because of the cost involved … but unfortunately for me I really like the skins … the light armour(minus the shoulders) would really fit on my mesmer too … oh well …

Eitherway they do stand out design-wise from the other armours.

(edited by Deim Hunir.8503)

in Crafting

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

I mean, have you seriously tried to see what a Charr looks like in this ?
http://puu.sh/4FDW4.jpg

How on earth did this get approved ? ? ?

LOL, probably the one who design this crap is a relative of some higher ups in management. or some wierd situation like that. On a real job this wont not exist… ever

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Because necros and elementalists totally want those jester leggings…

Well, people have been asking for non-harem pants for female versions of the light armor.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Mesket.5728

Heavy armor its not even finished… if you look it from the back, it barely has armor protection at all. I don’t know if this is laziness or poor judgment from the “artists” (if there is any left at anet).

in Crafting

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Because transmutation stones

/end tinfoil hat

in Crafting

Mesket.5728

/end tinfoil hat

Because everyone knows that, don’t want to transmute; and were expecting the top gear armor to be something to show off instead of hiding.

Stop it now with the transmute comments captain obvious.

in Crafting

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

It was a conspiracy joke but no harm done. I think the armors are interesting, even if they’re ugly. They’re hitting a theme for sure with the renaissance stuff and in that regard it looks appropriate. Just seems out of place.

On another note, what I would personally like to see of ascended armors is many parts of each piece able to be dyed. Perhaps 5-6 different details so we can deeply personalize this sure to be expensive and tedious armor.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

haha, my guess is they made the skins intentionally kind of “meh” because they don’t want everyone defaulting to use the ascended armor skins. Exotic/Dungeon skins are still out there and they want people to diversify.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

They seem not to be very good with balancing their goals with their players expectations. They could have avoided this by letting people upgrade their current armor or weapons to ascended versus making an ascended set. Then concentrate on making awesome skins that they could sell in the cash shop since that is their obvious goal.

in Crafting

Posted by: fey.5438

fey.5438

Don’t like it? Go and design better… simple.

in Crafting

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Actually, there are a great many talented people out there who can do just that. Just look at the public submissions in the workshop for steams team fortress and other games.

There is no excuse for the look of ascended armour, especially as a great deal of GW1 armour was of a much higher standard.

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

More access to Transmute Crystals (besides ONLY through gemshop) would make most of these complaints go away for good.

/end tinfoil hat

those are the ones you get for map completion, and they DON’T WORK on lvl 80 gear

in Crafting

Posted by: RavenRecoil.6103

RavenRecoil.6103

That looks horrible!! I play a Charr and have come to accept the armor was designed for a human and stretched over my Charr. But that looks bad!

I am a hardcore casual player at best!!
Always up wind from my prey. I want them to smell my farts!

in Crafting

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

When they finally decide to make them?

haha good one.

in Crafting

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

I don’t have that much of a problem with transmuting the look I want on the gear I want. I did this already.

And there is the problem I have with this new set.
I already transmuted the look I want on the stats I want, and now I have to do this again.

in Crafting

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

Actually I thank ArenaNet for this design. Honestly. I had feared they would do good looking armor (for a change) and I would have to do the grind again. This ascended stuff looks that horrible, I wouldn’t ever consider doing it. I don’t care for those few extra points for it.

I am happy. Doing 400-500 in weapons is enough stupid rince repeat as it is now, but at least you can harvest the resources for it.

Considering the look of the legendaries, most weapons since release and now the ascended armor, I don’t even want to imagine how the next legendaries might look. O.o

Dear ArenaNet, I have a wish for christmas: employ some new designers. At least one! Please! Please?

in Crafting

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

The designers exhausted all their abilities making the areas. Now we’re stuck with ugly as kitten armours and weapons. The ones that look any good are filtered ones from GW. Crystalline, Maw of the Dead, ect. So now we’ll just keep getting fugly as kitten kitten that only the tryhards will get, claiming “it looks good.”

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

in Crafting

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

In a game whose progression is based MOSTLY on appearance and looks, I really expect ANET to step it up and create better looking armor and weapons.
The ascended weapons, or most of them, have a terrible design and look like they’re were carved out of wood (Zojja’s GS, for example).

in Crafting

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

So we buy skin set from gemstore, or transmute stones.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

in Crafting

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Old games like Lineage II have much better looking armor sets and weapons. I don’t understand why is it so hard to design new ones…

in Crafting

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

Because many cool armor skins + transmutation crystal sale will be coming soon.

in Crafting

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

All 3 armor sets look horrible, both on female and male characters, with an exception for the female medium chest piece. It annoys me beyond explination that I will have to spend hundreds of gold to craft this ugliness, only to have it transmuted into something more decent.

It is more than obvious that Arenanet wants us to buy armor skins from the gem store. I don’t mind that if there was something pretty to choose from. However, most armorskins released so far have been utterly ridiculous. I am yet to find a pretty heavy armor skin for a female character. One that does not make her look like a fridge, a can or just fat (Braham’s legs anyone?). Still the only choices are the T3 armors, that everyone has, or the Arah set that I am already so bored with.

I am also hoping that they will give some love to the light and medium female sets. Enough with all the short-front long-back skirts. I dont want my character to look like a skimpy nun!

in Crafting

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Honestly, I’m glad they don’t look good, because otherwise everybody will be wearing the same stuff. This way people will transmute and there will be more variety.

Note that the exotic crafted items look pretty bad as well.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in Crafting

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

1.) you are only seeing Data file data, and it will copy your armor colors of what you have on.
2.) Stats are exotic atm because its only a data entry with the skins.

I like the medium set as its sexy on my female Engi.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Actually, there are a great many talented people out there who can do just that. Just look at the public submissions in the workshop for steams team fortress and other games.

There is no excuse for the look of ascended armour, especially as a great deal of GW1 armour was of a much higher standard.

Along with what Chronometria pointed out, I’ll add that there have been numerous threads requesting that ANet allow their fan base to design both weapons and armor, and all you have to do is look through some of the various GW2 fan sites’ art forums to know that GW2’s players have produced some incredible work.