Why Ascended Armor So Fugly ?

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Another armor set designed with only female humans in mind. Big surprise.

Enough with the whining and conspiracy theories though. Just like the ascended back pieces, transmute it and move on.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Trasmuting this stuff costs Gems. Can you send me your Gems? No…..? Then stop it

Because many cool armor skins + transmutation crystal sale will be coming soon.

First I thought you were being sarcastic

…then I actually thought about it for a minute….

in Crafting

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Because you’re a charr and only charr-friendly armor is cultural

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Crafting

Posted by: Devilish.3258

Devilish.3258

point of view people.. and I hope it’s true, and a lot of new armors come soon..

Archyew · Hunter
Sociedade das Sombras SSBR
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Crafting

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

ANet’s armor design team needs an overhaul or better creative inspirations.

Shelling out loads of gold for horrible looking gear defeats the purpose of chasing “vanity” in GW2…which is what ANet seems to have us players strive for…

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

in Crafting

Posted by: ChaosWithin.6214

ChaosWithin.6214

they want us to buy transmutation stones.

Now let them tremble

in Crafting

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

yeah, biggs, I certainly agree with you. However, I do hope that they add other Ascended Armor options. It is worth pointing out issues people have with the set. I think the issue people have is how hard they have to work to get them, and then they end up looking either OK or bad on the character (particularly non-humans). I would definitely have to transmute the set. It would also go on my Mesmer first (maybe only). Which is a Sylvari. And I want to keep her in leafy armor sets. I don’t love the T3 set, but that is probably the set I would transmute the Ascended set to. I’m intending to get the Nightmare set and I already have the T2.

Actually, I think the majority of peoples’ problems is that it looks best on humans (arguably just best on human females) and looks awkward, silly, or clippy on other races. Of course, in Guild Wars, I thought Obsidian armor looked the worst and it was the most prestigious set. But… All elite sets had the same stats. So basically, it wasn’t the only one of its type. Maybe we should get Ascended cultural armors? As in.. a Tier 4. I think another frustrating thing is that people see amazing NPC armor that they would love to be the ascended set. It’s already in the game… but it’s not available (the Countess Anise set, Raven set, a nice Sylvari NPC set…). And they feel like the new set is much less attractive. But it’s the option for Ascended armor. Plus, you have to buy transmutation crystals. And, people often want to show off their accomplishment (which transmutation crystals would nullify). I’m honestly not sure it would be that instantly recognizable either.

in Crafting

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Minus the obvious ignoring of Charr tail clipping / general stretching yet again, I actually like all 3 sets. Aside from the checkered jester pants on the light set, anyway. They’re all pretty unique looking and pretty nice, IMO.

The medium set in particular I really like. Its very unique (looks more like a uniform and less like a rogue’s gear, and no trenchcoat!) and looks really nice in general. Unfortuntely both of my medium armor characters are Charr and the tail thing ruins it, so I won’t be using the skin unless it gets fixed or until I make a non-Charr Thief.

in Crafting

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

I’m also extremely disappointed in the aesthetics of the ascended armor pieces. Just like others, I was hoping to display my achievement once I eventually obtained my ascended armor, but I will definitely have to transmute this into something acceptable. I willingly subscribe to what I thought was ANET’s design philosophy of character vanity, so I can’t see dressing my character in ugly gear.

I am also not in the full body tin can camp either, I like my character to be attractive. I picked a female norn for the tattoos and body frame…That pretty much goes to waste when covered completely from head to toe with bulky/ugly armor.

I’d appreciate some alternatives to what has been presented so far. Maybe alternate skins to choose from and still have it be the ascended set. My current heavy chest piece on my guardian has her back out displaying a full back tattoo…I’m pretty much not wearing anything that covers that….I know..vanity! Honestly, I’d settle for some more regular skins to be added to the game to achieve that same effect for heavy armor, but my preference would be to have something ascended to display for that.

I know it would definitely be more work, but maybe having two versions of ascended armor for each armor type (heavy, medium, light) would solve a lot of the issues people are having with the current ascended skins. Maybe one with full body coverage and one with minimal coverage. Just something to allow players to have some choice without having to hide everything they worked for.

in Crafting

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Ascended weapons and armour should have the default option to use them like a skin option. Double to apply the stats to the look of your choice. Better yet, don’t make ascended armour in the first place.

in Crafting

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

Please cancel the ascended armor plan Anet. Whatever happen to your promise on horizontal progression?

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Has nobody thought they COULD change those asset files when they finalize the release….to avoid everyone knowing what the final look will be before it’s available?

Yeah….I doubt it too, but it is possible.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Enough with the whining and conspiracy theories though. Just like the ascended back pieces, transmute it and move on.

The heavy ascended armor does not look good on human females in my opinion. It makes them look fat and like they have no boobs.

In general I can get on-board with ArenaNet’s design vision, here. But I don’t want my human female warrior main looking like she put on a few pounds.

The obstacle is the path.

in Crafting

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

yeah, biggs, I certainly agree with you. However, I do hope that they add other Ascended Armor options. It is worth pointing out issues people have with the set. I think the issue people have is how hard they have to work to get them, and then they end up looking either OK or bad on the character (particularly non-humans). I would definitely have to transmute the set. It would also go on my Mesmer first (maybe only). Which is a Sylvari. And I want to keep her in leafy armor sets. I don’t love the T3 set, but that is probably the set I would transmute the Ascended set to. I’m intending to get the Nightmare set and I already have the T2.

Actually, I think the majority of peoples’ problems is that it looks best on humans (arguably just best on human females) and looks awkward, silly, or clippy on other races. Of course, in Guild Wars, I thought Obsidian armor looked the worst and it was the most prestigious set. But… All elite sets had the same stats. So basically, it wasn’t the only one of its type. Maybe we should get Ascended cultural armors? As in.. a Tier 4. I think another frustrating thing is that people see amazing NPC armor that they would love to be the ascended set. It’s already in the game… but it’s not available (the Countess Anise set, Raven set, a nice Sylvari NPC set…). And they feel like the new set is much less attractive. But it’s the option for Ascended armor. Plus, you have to buy transmutation crystals. And, people often want to show off their accomplishment (which transmutation crystals would nullify). I’m honestly not sure it would be that instantly recognizable either.

I think the medium and light ascended armors looks good on human females, but not the heavy. My main is human female warrior and when I previewed the heavy on her I was disappointed. The way the bands cross over the stomach makes her look fat. I really hope ArenaNet designers can find a way to improve it and still implement their vision for the armor.

The obstacle is the path.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

Maybe Anet is just trolling and they added the codes to the skins that lost in the internal design competition they organized. The real ascended gear will look awesome and they are currently laughing at us for falling in their trap.

(if only…)

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

in Crafting

Posted by: varena.1362

varena.1362

Well, if and when I make myself an ascended set it’ll just get transmuted onto my current armour.

If I were into conspiracy theories I might think that Anet deliberately made the ascended sets unappealing so that transmutation stones would be the better option… if I were into conspiracy theories.

in Crafting

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

I think it’s a good thing. If they were too kitten looking then everyone would look like clones like they did in gw1 with the obsidian armor.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in Crafting

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I’ll say the same thing I said in another thread regarding the same topic when they first started:

ANet should go back to the concept art that filled their servers in the first place instead of this “innovating” and “interesting” designs…

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Crafting

Posted by: deffy.1320

deffy.1320

wouldn’t it be nice to design and craft your own armour set, instead of having a set design, i suppose they are wanting you to purchase transmutation stones, i mix and match armour, the armour posted in the original post is ugly but i suppose it is down to personal taste. This game does have some of the ugliest weapons and armour sets i’ve ever seen.

“Deleted for being inappropriate”

in Crafting

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I actually like the medium armor and would look really great with some dye Combos, but its a coat again and I main a Mesmer .

Light armor looks like A jester fool which doesn’t match my casual (but noble) Mesmer

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Crafting

Posted by: shaell.1086

shaell.1086

heavy armor is great, medium is ok, light armor i hope is a joke

in Crafting

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

Medium armour is by far the best, light is…hmmm (nasty mask and jester legs, ewww) and heavy would be ok if it didn’t have the TOAT (Tiara-On-A-Toilet) helm and the dodgy breastplate which makes any char look instantly middle-aged.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Has nobody thought they COULD change those asset files when they finalize the release….to avoid everyone knowing what the final look will be before it’s available?

Yeah….I doubt it too, but it is possible.

Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished. Barely granted that some of the stuff is tolerable with right colour combos, barely. As it stands, I think its a clever ploy to sell blue trans stones. And with the steadily increasing cost of the gold price for them, more will use real money, having already used most of their gold earlier, driving up those prices. (might have bought char slots, town clothes for them and trans stones so they weren’t using fugly pearl weapons once I crafted them ^.^ )

:P

in Crafting

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

It’s a good thing I didn’t have any expectations for them.
It’s simple people bad looks = transmutation crystals.
Take only 1 armor for each 8 characters = 48 pieces of armor = about $ 19.50 in TC.
Anet has a good feeling you won’t like the armors because they are also very well aware that most people don’t like Light Armor buttcapes and Medium Armor trenchcoats. If ignoring player taste = more profit in the long run then why improve armor looks. I won’t craft them because they are for the lack of a better word Fugly and if I did I would have to give Anet another $20.00 and they got a few hundreds from me which is more than enough for the lifetime of the game. Until I see better updates Anet store = black list, not Black Lion.

So far I never seen a devs reply about the issue of buttcapes and trenchcoats and I doubt that will change. I too was a fan of GW 1 since day one and yes we had nasty armors back then too bad I can’t transfer them.

in Crafting

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

I disliked them at first, but when previewing them on one of my toons I had this feeling of them beign orrian oriented. Thus I tried some dark and decay colors and this is the result:

Attachments:

in Crafting

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

It may be that some of it is acceptable for males of most races but it remains unwearable for all females exept for medium female Charr.

in Crafting

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Why are they so ugly ?

Because Transmutation Crystals.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Crafting

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

I hate them already -.-’
It hurts my designer eyes, and its not the first time happens…

• ->; Go D&D; Medieval, Renaissance & Steampunk!! *

Completely agree with this.

Why can’t we get some cool-looking medieval plate and cape armor? for light – show us some serious wizard robe stuff! Leather wearers? think cloak and dagger!

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

in Crafting

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

I disliked them at first, but when previewing them on one of my toons I had this feeling of them beign orrian oriented. Thus I tried some dark and decay colors and this is the result:

ya.. looking at those makes me want to chuck.

Assuming this is the baseline model for ascended gear (similar to how the current suite of ascended weapons all use the same model), I’m really surprised they went so niche and obscure for the armour model.

Don’t go so crazy with the designs, something simple, solid, and traditional will appease the mass (in my opinion, that is)

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

in Crafting

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

granted your toons are human. Heavy armor doesn’t fit on bigger characters. The back shows more clothes than armor.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Crafting

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

I am sorry, but I for one will have to agree. At least with a lot of armors in this game at least it apples to someone. this new armor just looks awful. im no artist but for real?

in Crafting

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

Hey if you think this is whining why are you doing the same thing why not just stop reading and move on?

in Crafting

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

This reminds me of the crafted weapon skins.. SO ugly that it forces you to skin it.

So they are going down the same path with ascended armor.

in Crafting

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Anet could you please reconsider your armor designers? They are clearly not up to the task. ty.

in Crafting

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

Ascended Armors look okay, but are not what you expect from super rare and expensive ones. Also they look HORRIBLE on charr, asura and males. Please don’t design armors around female humanoids just because the majority of the characters are female.

Also to the ascended weapons: I really like them, they look great (except from the color choice for main power stat)

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

in Crafting

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

I mean, have you seriously tried to see what a Charr looks like in this ?
http://puu.sh/4FDW4.jpg

How on earth did this get approved ? ? ?

LOL, probably the one who design this crap is a relative of some higher ups in management. or some wierd situation like that. On a real job this wont not exist… ever

QUOTE FOR TRUTH!

in Crafting

Posted by: Selena Dever.8362

Selena Dever.8362

I agree the armor designs suck an are exstremily UGLY!!!!!, I mean seriousily, I think there artists seriousily need to go back to the drawing board on these I to have been playing GW2 since Pre launch an haven’t been happy with the armor designs since,so was really exspecting the anet crew to really give us a better style of armor then what we have now,but nope they’re doing it again I mean seriousily come on guys we deserve better don’t just toss something together an toss it out there to us. U can do better. :/

in Crafting

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

Oh look! And yesterday they released really nice looking armor skins that you can get… for gems! And what a surprise they work particularly well on female human models.

Now I need to play the game to grind my mats for ascended stats on my armor, but I need to pay the game to get nice skins (or transmutation stones).

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

in Crafting

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Because you’re a charr and only charr-friendly armor is cultural

not entirely true – the paper bag also looked great on the charr

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in Crafting

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

The new armor skins on the gem store " were the new ascended armor !!!!

But they decided to make some horrible ugly junk and call it ascended and then release the Nice looking skins on the gem store to make money!

THAT IS THE REASON they are so ugly. Just like pearl weapons