Why a fee to switch to a leveled discipline?

in Crafting

Posted by: gregchristensen.1985

gregchristensen.1985

What is the reason to charge a fee when switching back to a previously leveled crafting discipline? I’m sure this can be a hefty debate but I personally don’t see why I can’t simply have one character with all the crafting disciplines. Before you say “you can,” maybe at one time this was reasonable, but now with crafting dailies it would cost way too much money to keep switching back and forth. Truly I don’t have a problem crafting on different characters, but I want to know if there’s a reason for the fee that makes sense. If there’s not, maybe the developers would be so kind as to remove it to free up some of the players out there that are interested in this. I’d equate it somewhat to the recent change for Ascended items where they are now account bound versus soul bound. If you can freely offer Ascended gear to all your characters, why is crafting still locked down?

Edit: Or, simply why restrict the number of active disciplines per character to 2? At that rate, account-level crafting disciplines anyone?

(edited by gregchristensen.1985)

in Crafting

Posted by: pathaugen.6572

pathaugen.6572

I’m confused on two things:

1. Why isn’t crafting account bound like we’ve done with magic find and ascended items? Next logical step, zero reason to log in and out to get the right character to a crafting station since we also have shared bank storage fueling all characters as well.

2. Why aren’t all crafting disciplines enabled for characters? Limitation to just two is also pointless with everything going account bound in all these updates.

Thus, just make it so all characters can have all crafting disciplines and crafting levels are account bound.

Why not?

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree that the limit of two crafting disciplines is pretty meaningless, and ANet might very decide to eliminate it at a future date.

However, crafting will probably remain character bound for the foreseeable future, for two reasons.

1. Many players use crafting as a way of levelling their characters. Making crafting account wide would prevent them from doing so.

2. By extension, levelling by crafting is also a big material sink, giving a market for all those low-level mats entering the game every single day.

in Crafting

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Account wide crafting is a nono. While I don’t do it myself, I have several friends who level a bunch of characters by maxing several crafts, and I know it’s a very popular method.

I don’t, however, understand the fee to switch. As someone who foolishly put all his crafts on one character “because I’ll never delete her” it’s something I’d like to see change.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Crafting

Posted by: pathaugen.6572

pathaugen.6572

Thus, I think we can agree account wide crafting: NO

However, why don’t all characters have ALL crafting disciplines?

No reason they can’t. They eliminated the fee to repair armor but for some reason my character needs to pay money to ‘remember’ he was a master weaponsmith?

Makes zero sense.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I think it is (was) just a gold sink without a real reason to exist.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

It makes no logical sense that crafting is account bound. It is a skill that a character pickup. If you learn how to program does your sister automatically know it? Yes yes I know this is a game. But if Anet is making it account bound, its going to ruin a lot of Role Player’s experience. Of course there is also the practical reasons of a gold + mat sink and crafting to level, all for what? a little convenience? Yeah I don’t think it’s going to happen.

in Crafting

Posted by: Carnius Magius.8091

Carnius Magius.8091

The fee never made any sense. I would settle for free once per day or so per toon. 50 silver to craft nourishment while slowly crafting ascended weapons and armor isn’t really necessary. The 50 silver is meant to discourage something. Discourage what?

in Crafting

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

The fee never made any sense. I would settle for free once per day or so per toon. 50 silver to craft nourishment while slowly crafting ascended weapons and armor isn’t really necessary. The 50 silver is meant to discourage something. Discourage what?

Mean to encourage you to use a different character for the other profession thus by implication, discourage one character for all purposes.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

You don’t own those crafting stations, think of the fee as a lease to use them.

in Crafting

Carnius Magius.8091

Mean to encourage you to use a different character for the other profession thus by implication, discourage one character for all purposes.

If that were the case then why have the master crafter achievement?

in Crafting

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

If that were the case then why have the master crafter achievement?

Huh? Master Crafter Achievement can be achieved to have all 8 crafting disciplines mastered and meant to be one to two disciplines on different characters.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

What does the achievement have to do with this? Achievements ARE account bound.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Carnius Magius.8091

I only play one toon. I did all 8 crafting disciplines on my ranger. My other toon slots are only used as mules at the moment. 40-50 silver doesn’t encourage me to level more toons. I have my reasons to only play one toon. So let it go at that.

in Crafting

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I only play one toon. I did all 8 crafting disciplines on my ranger. My other toon slots are only used as mules at the moment. 40-50 silver doesn’t encourage me to level more toons. I have my reasons to only play one toon. So let it go at that.

Good for you. But a lot more people but you are just one man afterall.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Crafting

Carnius Magius.8091

Good for you. But a lot more people but you are just one man afterall.

Did you really need to bother with such a useless reply?

There is no valid need for a fee to change disciplines. ANET got rid of fees to change traits and to repair armor. ANET can do the same with crafting. There is nothing here to argue about.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

You don’t own those crafting stations, think of the fee as a lease to use them.

quoted for relevance. Again, you don’t own those crafting stations, the Master Crafter that sells you the stuff for crafting owns them and chooses to LEASE the station to you for a fee.

If they’d simply change the text to reflect this it would reduce the confusion some of you seem to have about it.

Deactive sounds like someone’s turning off a switch on the back of my head that makes it so I can’t use that discipline anymore.

Or better yet as a gold sink you could actually turn it into a lease arrangement so we pay a certain amount of money (scalable to current discipline level) to each crafting master each month and just allow us to activate ALL of them so I don’t have to waste my time swapping back and forth.

in Crafting

Carnius Magius.8091

“New—Additional Crafting License!”

Now the question has been answered.

in Crafting

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

“New—Additional Crafting License!”

Now the question has been answered.

Awww, you beat me to it.

in Crafting

Carnius Magius.8091

At 800 gems, the fees don’t sound so bad. I’ll keep my mouth shut.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Well, this marks the first account-wide upgrade I won’t be getting. XD I have 5 characters with all the crafting disciplines spread across them, so I really have no reason to unlock a third crafting discipline on them.