Why are 20 slots so cost inefficient?

in Crafting

Posted by: travosaga.6089

travosaga.6089

For those of you that don’t know, the rune required for a 20 slot bag costs 10 gold. The rune for an 18 slot bag only costs 2 gold. It costs 8 gold to gain 2 slots. What gives? It’s not like it’s a status thing. Nobody can see what bags you are using. It grants you a total of 8 extra slots for 36 more gold than simple 18 slotters. I don’t get it.

in Crafting

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

You should buy the ones from FotM. They are only 150 fractal relics, which is only a couple of runs. The crafted versions are way to costly.

in Crafting

travosaga.6089

You should buy the ones from FotM. They are only 150 fractal relics, which is only a couple of runs. The crafted versions are way to costly.

That’s my point. I am questioning why it has such an uncalled for leap up in price.

in Crafting

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Because poor people like me can get a 18 slot bag. Other rich people asking for more can get the 20 slot bag.

It’s just time and money sink for those hardcore/rich players. Making a slight less cheap bag with almost the same capacity helps those casual players but still give those hardcore players something to aim for.

in Crafting

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It’s a luxury item, a vanity thing. Reality is, for those 8 gold you can easily buy 2 bag slots for gems and fill them with 18 slotters, getting you 36 slots instead of 4.

So really, it’s for rich people who can then say “i’ve got 3 20-slot bags”.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Crafting

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

bags are limited – max 8
beginner bag got 20x
if you fill other 7 with 18x you get 146, with 20x you get 160. so difference is 34.

bags are permanent items. even if those 20x bags costed 100g, i’d eventually get them anyway. also i find different bag types – grouping same type items – very convenient.

kill all ze thingz

in Crafting

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

Kinda pointless having 10 gold 20 slots now with the fractal bags out there.

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Kinda pointless having 10 gold 20 slots now with the fractal bags out there.

Not everyone wants to do fractals.

in Crafting

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

The most cost efficient bag in my opinion by far is the 15 slotters with the rune for 50s. I Only ones I have higher then that were Event bags like karka and now that I know I can get them will probably work on fractal bags. I never thought about buying bag slots being more efficient use of the gold thanks for that tip. That being said the gem to gold inflation thing is killing me. I really want another bank slot. i remember I got my first bank slot expansion 600 gems for less then 6 gold.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

A classic part of any well designed MMO is that the last, small, increment of “performance” costs substantially more in time, money, and/or effort, then the one before it. That “performance” can be damage, armor, storage, speed, etc., but it is a way to give the hard core min-maxer something to do while not penalizing less hard core players too much. You asymptotically approach best-in-game performance.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

why does an exotic weapon cost 4g while a rare weapon costs 30s? it only adds another like 10% effect (equivalent bag slots going from 18 to 19.8)
and why does +5 AR on an ascended back piece cost 250 ecto (plus some other things)?
because there would be no reason to have 18 slot bags at all if 20 slot bags cost just a bit more. and no reason to have 15 slot bags if 18 slot bags cost just a bit more. and you get the idea.

in Crafting

travosaga.6089

why does an exotic weapon cost 4g while a rare weapon costs 30s? it only adds another like 10% effect (equivalent bag slots going from 18 to 19.8)
and why does +5 AR on an ascended back piece cost 250 ecto (plus some other things)?
because there would be no reason to have 18 slot bags at all if 20 slot bags cost just a bit more. and no reason to have 15 slot bags if 18 slot bags cost just a bit more. and you get the idea.

Exotics are often precursors to legendary weapons. Also, you can get exotics for free from tokens. With one level 80, you can have an exotic weapon in 2 days. 5 agony resist also increases your survival by an immense amount. It is absolutely required to survive high level fractals. Also, I think most people would probably agree that it actually does cost way too much.

20 slot bags are just 20 slot bags. You hold 2 more unique item slots for an 8 gold increase. A more reasonable number would be 4 or even 5 gold. It’s a 400% increase in cost for a 10% increase in capacity. I’m sorry, but there is no justification for it.

in Crafting

Saulius.8430

i pay pixels to improve my pixels to contain more pixels. who cares about amount of pixels? i don’t. as long as i get shiny pixels.

and it’s luxury item. well you know the one where you say: “hey i have all my bags 20×. why you ask? because i can!”

and btw i wouldn’t get fractal-only bags like someone above hinted. because then i’d lose ‘seperate greens from other junk’ option. which i love now, as fractal bags make green/rare items grouped (as long as there are empty slots in the ‘regular’ bags above). then i can mindlessly spam salvage on everything in a row, knowing there are only blues and whites. aw yeah, and i got seperate bag for upgrade components, so that they dont get in the way either.

kill all ze thingz

in Crafting

Posted by: Prezzy.2783

Prezzy.2783

Have i really just read someone say that :

160 – 146 = 34?

Really think you need to check you math mate.

in Crafting

Saulius.8430

indeed. i have failed miserably. its 14

kill all ze thingz

in Crafting

Posted by: Oglethorpe.5369

Oglethorpe.5369

With the fractal bags, which ones do people prefer? I looked away from them because they move certain items around, which I don’t really like (I’m very OCD with inventory management).

I would assume you’d want all Uncommon Equipment Boxes, because they’re the cheapest, and they wouldn’t move dropped Exotics/Rares (which practically never happen anyway) all over the place – am I correct with this?

Time Chamber to the [PAST], Fort Aspenwood
Tirian – Human Mesmer | Oglethorpe – Human Necromancer
Bigbeard the Grey – Norn Guardian | Emoury – Human Thief

in Crafting

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

With the fractal bags, which ones do people prefer? I looked away from them because they move certain items around, which I don’t really like (I’m very OCD with inventory management).

I would assume you’d want all Uncommon Equipment Boxes, because they’re the cheapest, and they wouldn’t move dropped Exotics/Rares (which practically never happen anyway) all over the place – am I correct with this?

I like them moving my items around in to a order, put a savage kit in the rare bags for example is a convenient way of doing things.

in Crafting

Direwulff.2396

and btw i wouldn’t get fractal-only bags like someone above hinted. because then i’d lose ‘seperate greens from other junk’ option. which i love now, as fractal bags make green/rare items grouped (as long as there are empty slots in the ‘regular’ bags above). then i can mindlessly spam salvage on everything in a row, knowing there are only blues and whites. aw yeah, and i got seperate bag for upgrade components, so that they dont get in the way either.

Wait I think I almost missed something. What bag allows me to seperate my green and higher items from my blue and white items?

in Crafting

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Those are the ones I use, just because they were cheapest.

I don’t really care about how my inventory is arranged with junk. It all shows up the same way when I’m either using the sell window on the TP to get rid of it, or at the sell window on the vendor to vend it. The stuff I use regularly from my inventory I keep in the 20 slot default bag we start with.

in Crafting

Posted by: Disig.7169

Disig.7169

I’m still toting 10 slot bags without buying any more bag space and I’ve not had a single problem. Yeah, I agree the price difference is stupidly ridiculous but overall I have to say it’s not needed. Or at least that’s been my experience.

in Crafting

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

It’s a luxury item, a vanity thing. Reality is, for those 8 gold you can easily buy 2 bag slots for gems and fill them with 18 slotters, getting you 36 slots instead of 4.

It really isn’t though. No one can see your bags, so it ISN’T a vanity thing. It’s a poor design decision and I think more people need to learn that you can get them for “free” from fractals.

in Crafting

Posted by: Oglethorpe.5369

Oglethorpe.5369

It really isn’t though. No one can see your bags, so it ISN’T a vanity thing. It’s a poor design decision and I think more people need to learn that you can get them for “free” from fractals.

I certainly learned from this thread yesterday – I hadn’t even given them a glance before (because I didn’t want my inventory getting all over the place). If you’re already ascended/infused, and not going after the capacitor/legendaries, what else is there to spend relics on?

I bought 3 uncommon boxes for one character (kept my invisible bag), sold my 3 15-slot bags, made 1.8g back. Tonight, I’ll be spending the rest of my relics on other characters, freeing up 5-6 bank spaces (while making money off my 15-slot bags towards Eye of Rodgort) in the process. Love killing two birds with one stone (three birds is just gravy).

Time Chamber to the [PAST], Fort Aspenwood
Tirian – Human Mesmer | Oglethorpe – Human Necromancer
Bigbeard the Grey – Norn Guardian | Emoury – Human Thief

in Crafting

Saulius.8430

Wait I think I almost missed something. What bag allows me to seperate my green and higher items from my blue and white items?

fractal bags. (150-green, 200-rare, 250-exotic)

my point was if you get all bags as cheapest fractal bag (150relic) they all will prefer to store green items, and because you dont have any other bags (well except starter one) those ‘green’ bags will get filled with other stuff, hence losing purpose to store ‘green’ only items.

i have some regular bags at top, for with blue and junk (well exos go there too, but tjhey are once in a blue moon) then fractal bags for greens and yellows, then bag for upgrade components, and finally couple invisible bags.

this makes dealing with looted items easy. as all the blue/white ones end in same place. comfortable to salvage.

kill all ze thingz

in Crafting

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Crafting is meant to be a gold sink.

If you can’t afford it, just don’t do it. Some people can afford it, and it’s no big deal to them. Don’t sulk about things that aren’t designed for you.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Crafting

Direwulff.2396

[/quote]

fractal bags. (150-green, 200-rare, 250-exotic)

my point was if you get all bags as cheapest fractal bag (150relic) they all will prefer to store green items, and because you dont have any other bags (well except starter one) those ‘green’ bags will get filled with other stuff, hence losing purpose to store ‘green’ only items.

i have some regular bags at top, for with blue and junk (well exos go there too, but tjhey are once in a blue moon) then fractal bags for greens and yellows, then bag for upgrade components, and finally couple invisible bags.

this makes dealing with looted items easy. as all the blue/white ones end in same place. comfortable to salvage.[/quote]

Thanks that is exactly what i was looking for. i didn’t know they did that. guess I will start running some fractals to get some bags. I will probably set it up the way you mentioned as that will help for salvage vs sell

in Crafting

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

For those of you that don’t know, the rune required for a 20 slot bag costs 10 gold. The rune for an 18 slot bag only costs 2 gold. It costs 8 gold to gain 2 slots. What gives? It’s not like it’s a status thing. Nobody can see what bags you are using. It grants you a total of 8 extra slots for 36 more gold than simple 18 slotters. I don’t get it.

Yes, 36 inventory slots are cheaper than 20 inventory slots. No one gets it. It’s been like that since day one. The same thing happens with a few other items (ex., it’s more expensive to make armor satchels than to craft the individual set pieces one by one). Someone at ANet needs better arithmetic “skillz”.

- Al Zheimer

in Crafting

Posted by: Kodiak.4213

Kodiak.4213

extra bag slots per character is 400 gems.
If you don’t buy gems, you will have limited space and thus need bigger bags. If you want more space but don’t want to spend a bit of gold, you will need to spend the gems and use the cheaper bags. Where as if you don’t buy gems, you’ll need the 20 slotters to have reasonable storage per char.

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Why does a Ferrari cost so much more than my Toyota Camry? They’re both cars.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Crafting

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The performance of a Ferrari is vastly superior to that of your Toyota Camry. The performance of a 20-slot bag is only marginally better than that of an 18-slot bag, yet it’s priced as if it were vastly superior.

in Crafting

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Double post, sorry.

extra bag slots per character is 400 gems.
If you don’t buy gems, you will have limited space and thus need bigger bags. If you want more space but don’t want to spend a bit of gold, you will need to spend the gems and use the cheaper bags. Where as if you don’t buy gems, you’ll need the 20 slotters to have reasonable storage per char.

You’re talking about 32 gold for an extra 8 slots if upgrading all four default bag slots from 18-slotters to 20-slotters. I don’t see anything reasonable about that; especially considering how many extra bag slots you could purchase if converting that 32 gold into gems.

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The performance of a Ferrari is vastly superior to that of your Toyota Camry. The performance of a 20-slot bag is only marginally better than that of an 18-slot bag, yet it’s priced as if it were vastly superior.

It’s not so much superior since speed limit laws reduce the impact of having more horsepower over another vehicle.

And while we’re on this subject, 20 slots are much more superior than everything else, since it’s more balanced looking having 10 slots shown on top and 10 on the bottom.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!