Why are Karma recipes soulbound?

in Crafting

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

This is a minor issue, but it greatly bothers me. During the Headstart, recipes bought from Karma merchants were account bound, which was great – I could buy a Weaponsmith recipe with a Sylvari character in the Brisban Wildlands and send it to my human character at Queensdale so she could actually craft it.

Now, when browsing Karma merchants there is no mention of the recipes being soulbound, but after buying them the recipe can only be used by the character who bought it. It’s very slightly disruptive to gameplay – “Nice, this Karma merchant is offering an Armorsmith recipe, I’ll log off this character, bring my other character who actually has Armorsmith here, and fill this Heart again so I can craft this thing”.

I guess this change was made in order to fix some kind of exploit, but does someone know exactly what happened? Are the Karma recipes soulbound for good, or is this a temporary thing?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Crafting

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

I see no reason to not make them account bound. Expecially when you can level to 80 from crafting without ever earning 1 point of Karma.

in Crafting

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I don’t believe the recipes were always soul bound because I distinctly remember picking up a jeweler recipe for my husband and mailing it to him. It wasn’t until I bought up a whole bunch of armor smithing recipes on my cook/leatherworker thinking to stash them for my other character that I realized it had changed.

The change affects lower level recipes, but my guess is they don’t want people using one level 80 character to supply a stable of lower level crafter alts with the high end recipes from karma merchants the low levels couldn’t open.

They let you switch crafting professions without losing your progress for a reason. So I just learned the recipes on the character that bought them. Maybe she’ll be an armorsmith someday.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Crafting

Posted by: Halo.1064

Halo.1064

There’s an overall lack of clarity on what is soulbound to who. They need to put that in the tooltip of every souldbound item you own, and these recipes need to say ‘soulbind on acquire’ (which they don’t).

in Crafting

Posted by: LinseyMurdock

LinseyMurdock

Game Designer

Next

Agreed. They should be Account Bound. I’m looking at getting a fix for this into an upcoming build.

Lead Designer – Living World

in Crafting

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

I believe all karma merchant items are soulbound if I’m not mistaken.

in Crafting

Posted by: Shaileya.7063

Shaileya.7063

All of them are now. I had to throw out countless ones from my bank that used to NOT be soulbound, but becamse as such. Having them go back to account bound would be great! Please, please make them say they are account bound if it gets fixed though. The currant ones don’t even say Soulbound til you own them.

in Crafting

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Agreed. They should be Account Bound. I’m looking at getting a fix for this into an upcoming build.

Thanks, Linsey! It’s great to know they will eventually become account bound.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Crafting

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Thank you for asking about this. I noticed the change, but thought it was intentional — nice to know that it wasn’t and will be fixed.

in Crafting

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

Hooray!

Is there any reason gathering equipment is also soulbound instead of account bound (and not shown to be soulbound until after you purchase it)?

in Crafting

Posted by: Davinna.2067

Davinna.2067

Awesome! Thanks

The cake is a lie!
Crimson Phoenix [CPT] – Gate of Madness

in Crafting

Posted by: chuiu.4985

chuiu.4985

Please change the recipes bought with gold as well. I bought a recipe for a gift for 10g the other day to send to an alt and it was soul bound. It does not say at the merchant its soul bound and I can just as easily have sent the 10g to my alt via the bank and bought it on him.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ben Hurt.6195

Ben Hurt.6195

While you are making this change, could you also look at crafted products? For example, the cooking recipe for a loaf of bread is soulbound.

in Crafting

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

It is a problem with the merchant. I think they should tell if someting will be bound after you bought it. Otherwise this should be considered a but and people like chuiu should get their gold back(and the item removed). Or of course you just change the bound type to account bound. But still should be told at the merchant.

in Crafting

Posted by: Daysy of Ascalon.1974

Daysy of Ascalon.1974

If there has to be a trading restriction on something, there should at least be a label to say so. It’s frustrating to buy, say, a recipe for my chef, only to find that it sprouts a “soulbound” label as soon as it’s in my inventory.

in Crafting

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

Previous

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Hello everybody!
The original question in this thread was already answered by a staff member. This thread will now be locked.