Why are precursors not ascended

in Crafting

Posted by: reconzero.8310

reconzero.8310

If precursors are a piece that leads up to creating a legendary and Im pretty sure other gifts are of legendary quality, why isn’t the precursor an ascended weapon? If you were truly to RP the game, the precursor would be the most powerful weapon (non-stat wise) that is not the Legendary weapon, and you would probably use it until you got your legendary. I know that before ascended gear was introduced, legendaries had exotic stats, but now, with ascended, there would be NO REASON to even use a precursor, it would sit in your bank til you use it or sell it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

If precursors are a piece that leads up to creating a legendary and Im pretty sure other gifts are of legendary quality, why isn’t the precursor an ascended weapon? If you were truly to RP the game, the precursor would be the most powerful weapon (non-stat wise) that is not the Legendary weapon, and you would probably use it until you got your legendary. I know that before ascended gear was introduced, legendaries had exotic stats, but now, with ascended, there would be NO REASON to even use a precursor, it would sit in your bank til you use it or sell it.

First, changing the rarity and stats of the precursors would wreck havoc in the market.
Second, your statement implies that everyone who gets precursors already has the corresponding ascended weapon.

in Crafting

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

why does it matter? with the wardrobe system you can make your ascended weapon look like a pre…. but then I must ask again, why does it matter? Every precursor (that I know of) has an identical skinned exotic that’s much easier to obtain.

Finally, ascended items are account bound, and who knows how they coded that. It could be difficult to create an exception.

in Crafting

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I really hate the current system where I have to wait for a precursor to drop. I wish precursors can be crafted, besides it would make more sense for ascended items to be precursors.

in Crafting

Posted by: Liet Talen.7284

Liet Talen.7284

You answered your own question. Precursors were created before ascended stats were introduced into the game, therefore precursors have exotic stats.

in Crafting

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Precurs are much rarer and more expensive to get than a your typical ascended weapons. Raising their status to ascended won’t affect the price or their drop rate. Prices are driven by demand and rarity.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

Precurs are much rarer and more expensive to get than a your typical ascended weapons. Raising their status to ascended won’t affect the price or their drop rate. Prices are driven by demand and rarity.

Why do it at all? There’s like a 5% difference, and you most likely wouldn’t waste your resources on an ascended weapon if you were going to get a legendary anyway.

in Crafting

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Why do it at all? There’s like a 5% difference, and you most likely wouldn’t waste your resources on an ascended weapon if you were going to get a legendary anyway.

Two handed weapons get a straight 10% bonus to damage iirc over their exotic counterparts.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

So, if someone got insanely lucky on the mystic forge or with a drop obtains their precursor: not only do they have this completely unfair and imbalanced advantage over other players in terms of their advancement on the Legendary path, but they should also be more powerful than the average player in terms of stats?

Or, if they choose to sell the precursor on the trading post: the player who buys that precursor should now be more powerful?

I just don’t see the point. Precursors are horribly implemented, as is virtually everything to do with how you obtain a Legendary weapon. I feel that this would just make a bad thing even worse.

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

All Ascendeds automatically Account bind correct?
That’s probably a good enough reason not to right there…

in Crafting

DarkSpirit.7046

All Ascendeds automatically Account bind correct?
That’s probably a good enough reason not to right there…

On the contrary, I think that makes it even more natural for ascended weapons to be precursors. At least you know the guy needs to have 500 crafting level to make his own precursor rather than simply use his credit card.

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Oh so you want it to be THAT way …. Doh ho ho ho ho
(only if they finally added that epic solo quest line & scavenger hunt for the EXACT precursor you want, otherwise forget it b/c then almost No one would get the exact Legendary they actually wanted and then no one would be happy)

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Crafting

DarkSpirit.7046

(only if they finally added that epic solo quest line & scavenger hunt for the EXACT precursor you want, otherwise forget it b/c then almost No one would get the exact Legendary they actually wanted and then no one would be happy)

Didn’t ANet plan to have precursor crafting previously? They really don’t need to. Just make crafted ascended weapons as precursors.

in Crafting

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Didn’t ANet plan to have precursor crafting previously? They really don’t need to. Just make crafted ascended weapons as precursors.

Their current excuse for ditching the promise is that the precursor crafting is not compatible with the way progression and rewards work in Guild Wars 2 . . And crafting of ascended weapon is not?

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The designation isn’t relevant anyways. It’s a pedantic argument.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Because sometimes people get Precursors they don’t want/can’t use and you can’t sell or even salvage Ascended items?

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Crafting

DarkSpirit.7046

Their current excuse for ditching the promise is that the precursor crafting is not compatible with the way progression and rewards work in Guild Wars 2 . . And crafting of ascended weapon is not?

This is why I really really hate the path of getting a legendary weapon because either I pay 1000g or more to buy a precursor from the TP or I keep farming gold for the mystic toilet slot machine. Either that or I have to pull out my legendary credit card.

This is just a scam to milk gold/money from us and I simply refuse to fall into it.

“not compatible with the way progression and rewards work in Guild Wars 2 " translates to “we would prefer to push you to either grind for more gold for many months or to buy more gems with your credit card because we would like to bleed you dry of your money”.

I started playing since beta and I would continue waiting for a precursor to drop for me in the world then, before starting on my journey to get a legendary, since I am not going to play the RNG game with the mystic toilet.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

in Crafting

Posted by: reconzero.8310

reconzero.8310

To me, having an exotic and not ascended weapon as a precursor to a legendary weapon is like having 3 rare parts and a masterwork part to make an exotic. It just doesn’t make sense.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mukk.3402

Mukk.3402

Because then people can’t sell precursors? Ascended items are account bound on acquire.

Meh, if you really want it that way I suppose they could custom the code for those few items. I kind of like the idea, because I shudder at the thought of someone who doesn’t even know what a precursor IS salvaging it by mistake. I think I had a nightmare that I did that once… woke up in a cold sweat.

(edited by Mukk.3402)