Why can't we sell food to vendors?

in Crafting

Posted by: Treason.8417

Treason.8417

Q:

I remember it was possible during beta, why was it changed? I can’t sell it on the ah because most of the food sells for a couple of copper. All I can do is give it to friends/guildies who don’t even it want them. Oftentimes I just delete it.

How come all the other crafts can vendor/salvage their goods but not us cooks?

in Crafting

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Because people were making too much money by selling food to NPCs.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dmorin.9543

Dmorin.9543

well now the crap is flooding the TP because of their decision and at less than vendor value,half the TP is full of vendor trash

in Crafting

Posted by: springelf.9236

springelf.9236

I just wind up deleting stuff. Which is annoying. Being able to sell it would be SO helpful.

in Crafting

Posted by: Tanaquil.9314

Tanaquil.9314

I filled two bank tabs with food I can’t sell and can’t even give away to my friends for free. A third bank tab is full of half made food that no longer fits into collectible slots.

I used to love crafting, but since it seems there is no end market for anything I can make (and I do need to make stuff to level, even though I prioritise Discovery all the time), I’ve kind of lost steam now. I am just wasting money by pumping it into something that isn’t the slightest bit useful. With cooking as with any craft, anything that I might actually benefit from making is available on the TP at a tiny fraction of the cost to make it, so why bother?

Being able to sell food to vendors wouldn’t totally eradicate this problem, but at least cooking wouldn’t be the cash-destroyer that it is at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lureei.9457

Lureei.9457

Indeed this is total bs. Surely aint the case now when most stuff need a expensive dropped item after they removed the core ingredients from vendors. Just another way for anet to controll gold flow.

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

If you have leftover food items you don’t want to use, just gorge yourself on them; there’s an achievement for eating lots of food. My character ate 100 Chocolate Chip Cookies in less than a minute once; she still hasn’t quite recovered.

(edited by lackofcheese.5617)

in Crafting

Tanaquil.9314

I understand about the achievement, but I’m not at the stage where I’m so in love with achievements that I just want to pour gold into getting them.

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

If it’s stuff you can’t even sell, you’re hardly “pouring gold into it”. I’m just saying it’s better to eat it than to destroy it, as springelf seems to have done.

in Crafting

Tanaquil.9314

What I meant is that although it is food that I have already made (costing me money that I cannot recoup), I’m not yet at the point where I am ready to cross the line of definitely never recouping any money from it, by using it for an achievement. You never know, I might be able to persuade someone to pay…uh…no, you’re right.

I have about 285 chocolate chip cookies, so perhaps a gorging session is in order after all. If you see someone waddling around in Lion’s Arch, looking like a chocolate chip cookie, it’s probably me!

in Crafting

Posted by: Elle.8064

Elle.8064

I’ve thought this very same thing. I’ve eaten a lot my food, destroyed quite a bit (even with the achievement) and placed a lot in my guild bank. I think the reason they have chosen to remove the option to sell to a vendor is because of ingredients being purchased with karma (you also can’t sell ingredients on the TP purchased with karma, it becomes account bound). They have basically removed any cash flow though karma purchases (you can’t sell or salvage). I really do wish you could sell it, even if it were just a few copper each piece. I sell my other wares to vendors all the time if I don’t try for the salvaged materials. I am totally in favor of selling our food to vendors.

in Crafting

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

They really should let people turn their karma to gold through things like this, it would really help the economy and people would have a bigger incentive to get out and do things for more karma to make money from. Its really a win win for the game.

in Crafting

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

They really should let people turn their karma to gold through things like this, it would really help the economy and people would have a bigger incentive to get out and do things for more karma to make money from. Its really a win win for the game.

Personally, I’d rather see karma be used to reduce the price on things. Like, “You’re a hero! Here’s a discount for saving our lives!” It would amount to something similar, but there would be diminishing returns in place to encourage players to pay in a combination of karma and gold.

But yeah, concerning food… the problem is twofold:

1) The TP extends to all servers. It’s been said before, and I’ll say it again here; when you put that many people in the same economy, you’re going to flood the market.

2) The content is too easy. There’s no reason to buy buffs that enhance character stats, because steamrolling content takes very little effort. And to make the problem even worse, leveling is quick, making lower level consumables obsolete almost right after buying them. The only consumables that are saved from this issue are +MF (and even they’re still massively underpriced), because it helps mitigate the money shortage issues.