Why cant we "gather" cloth and leather too?

in Crafting

Posted by: MalakiteGW.9651

MalakiteGW.9651

As I begin leatherworking (after tailoring), I begin to ask myself why we can gather food, ore, gems, wood, and other material usable for the other crafting professions… but we’re unable to do this for cloth and leather.

Why not add into the loot tables for goats/deer and allow them to drop leather? They mostly go unkilled.

Add a new plant into the game to allow us to harvest fibers to make into cloth.

It’s challenging enough to gather the claws, blood, venom sacs, ect.. Make it a tad easier for the folks that require leather/cloth!

-Silvanoshi Starwind

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

That already exists. Deer and similar neutral NPCs have a chance to drop salvageable hides which salvage into leather. I can’t say the same for cloth, but it can be salvaged from any light armor and is hardly scarce.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Crafting

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Don’t be killing my deer friends, who will I invite to my forest parties? :o

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Crafting

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

Some mobs will drop hides that you can salvage forleather but you can also salvage medium armour for hides also as they tend to be a lot easier to get especially from chest event farming.
If im running low on them, i will salvage the white and blue armour for crafting purposes and merch the greens

in Crafting

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

And those same salvaging tips apply to metals, which can still be gathered from nodes.
So it’s still easier to get metals.
In fact, it’s even EASIER because many weapons will also give metal salvage, while only armor pieces will give cloth or leather.

in Crafting

Posted by: Rainzar.6905

Rainzar.6905

yeh other games make up for this by having “humanoid” mobs always drop cloth mats and “animal” type mobs drop leather or stuff that salvs/combines into leather. bit annoying here the way its done.

in Crafting

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

In my experience of salvaging anything that’s not green or exotic I can confidently state:
I get WAY too much leather and cloth, a bunch of metal and not nearly enough wood. I’ve had to throw stacks upon stacks of cloth/leather into the gaping maws of merchant NPCs everywhere because I’ve got full stacks of both bolts/scraps/sections/squares.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

rags and torn garments can be salvaged for cloth. tattered hide can be salvaged for leather. bits of metal can be salvaged for copper. not all trophy items are just vendor trash. these items also don’t get sold when you hit the sell junk button.

in Crafting

Posted by: applecup.3047

applecup.3047

In my experience of salvaging anything that’s not green or exotic I can confidently state:
I get WAY too much leather and cloth, a bunch of metal and not nearly enough wood. I’ve had to throw stacks upon stacks of cloth/leather into the gaping maws of merchant NPCs everywhere because I’ve got full stacks of both bolts/scraps/sections/squares.

Then… why not sell it on the TP? you’d make much more money that way…
(the exception to this rule being T5 leather, which last time I checked had fallen to vendor +1c)

[III] Third Legio, Aurora Glade
An Officer and a Gentlewoman

in Crafting

Posted by: Grumpy.8365

Grumpy.8365

Then… why not sell it on the TP? you’d make much more money that way…
(the exception to this rule being T5 leather, which last time I checked had fallen to vendor +1c)

+1 This…

I wonder if people realize they’re playing an MMO. Not a single player.

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

And those same salvaging tips apply to metals, which can still be gathered from nodes.
In fact, it’s even EASIER because many weapons will also give metal salvage, while only armor pieces will give cloth or leather.

Metal is used for crafting both armor and weapons, while cloth and leather are only used for armor.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Crafting

gimmethegepgun.1284

Metal is used for crafting both armor and weapons, while cloth and leather are only used for armor.

Yeah, and cloth is used in EVERY armor piece of all 3 professions (except leather boots), AND is needed for insignias for every single one of them.
The amount of cloth needed overall isn’t much less than metal needs, except metals are FAR more common because of nodes.

in Crafting

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

bags give lots of cloth and leather in my experience. I have never found it beneficial to salvage for textiles, preferring instead to let the coppers add up from vendoring.

in Crafting

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

To be honest just vendor trash and buy from the trading post

and leave hunting bambi for the more……aggressive players.

If you think getting leather and cloth is hard you should look up rare crafting materials.
Freaking lodestones….

in Crafting

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Crafting Armor

Heavy Armor
Requires:
– Metal
– Cloth

Medium Armor
Requires:
– Leather
– Cloth

Light Armor
Requires:
– Leather
– Cloth

Tally: 1 armor crafting discipline requiring metal, 2 requiring leather, and 3 requiring cloth.

Metal
Obtained from:
– Mining Ore nodes
– Salvaging Metal Scraps
– Salvaging Heavy Armor
– Salvaging many Melee Weapons

Leather
– Salvaging Leather Scraps
– Salvaging Hides
– Salvaging Medium Armor

Cloth
– Salvaging Cloth Scraps
– Salvaging Light Armor

Tally: 4 sources of Metal, 3 sources of Leather, and 2 sources of Cloth.

Final Tally
Metal: 1 requiring, 4 sources
Leather: 2 requiring, 3 sources
Cloth: 3 requiring, 2 sources

Conclusion: So the material most required by armor crafters is the least available while the material least required is the most available. If you think that makes sense, or is in any way a level playing field, then you need to have your head examined.

in Crafting

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

Crafting Armor

Heavy Armor
Requires:
– Metal
– Cloth

Medium Armor
Requires:
– Leather
– Cloth

Light Armor
Requires:
– Leather
– Cloth

Tally: 1 armor crafting discipline requiring metal, 2 requiring leather, and 3 requiring cloth.

Metal
Obtained from:
– Mining Ore nodes
– Salvaging Metal Scraps
– Salvaging Heavy Armor
– Salvaging many Melee Weapons

Leather
– Salvaging Leather Scraps
– Salvaging Hides
– Salvaging Medium Armor

Cloth
– Salvaging Cloth Scraps
– Salvaging Light Armor

Tally: 4 sources of Metal, 3 sources of Leather, and 2 sources of Cloth.

Final Tally
Metal: 1 requiring, 4 sources
Leather: 2 requiring, 3 sources
Cloth: 3 requiring, 2 sources

Conclusion: So the material most required by armor crafters is the least available while the material least required is the most available. If you think that makes sense, or is in any way a level playing field, then you need to have your head examined.

you’re missing some sources of cloth and leather: namely, that some mobs drop it, humanoid mobs also drop bags of X material which can contain cloth

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Not to mention that Metal is also used by Weaponsmiths, Huntsmen, Artificers and Jewelers.

in Crafting

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

you’re missing some sources of cloth and leather: namely, that some mobs drop it, humanoid mobs also drop bags of X material which can contain cloth

Yeah, bags may contain cloth. Or they may contain butter, cinnamon, or a host of other non-cloth materials. That is, of course, assuming the humanoid drops a bag in the first place. Ore nodes, meanwhile, are guaranteed to drop metal.

in Crafting

gimmethegepgun.1284

Yeah, bags may contain cloth. Or they may contain butter, cinnamon, or a host of other non-cloth materials. That is, of course, assuming the humanoid drops a bag in the first place. Ore nodes, meanwhile, are guaranteed to drop metal.

And, of course, said bags also may contain metal.

You know, I don’t think people realize just how much cloth is needed.
Exotic recipes for armor need FIVE Gossamer bolts for the insignia alone, and then another one for the padding (2 for the helmet padding, none for leather boots).
An Ori chestpiece requires more Gossamer than Ori.
Same goes for Hardened Leather.
Every other piece has smaller and smaller Ori or HL requirements, but the same Gossamer requirement.
That means a full set of exotic metal armor needs 28 Ori ore and 74 Gossamer scraps.
When the ore is easier to acquire through similar means to the cloth (salvaging, because of weapons being involved) and has static nodes in known locations that can be reliably gathered. And the Gossamer is 50% more expensive on the TP.

Really, from looking at other recipes, the Ori requirements of armorsmithing are pathetic.
A single exotic inscription requires more Ori than an entire set of Ori armor.
And yet it’s still cheaper than Gossamer because of how much easier it is to get.

(edited by gimmethegepgun.1284)

in Crafting

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Or they’ll just drop terrible vendor trash. I got so sick and tired of grinding Flame Legion in the 15-25 area where they either dropped armor/weapons to be salvaged, bags containing any number of things, or… broken claws that vendor for 2 copper a piece. I ended up with enough Broken Claws to get 1 silver and 20 or so copper. All of those could have been bags that held more money or a chance at useful mats.