Why does Anet hate chefs?

in Crafting

Posted by: Nikku.3562

Nikku.3562

I have to second, third and fourth some of the comments here. Some ingredients (vanilla and chili peppers in particular) are required in quite large quantities throughout all tiers of cooking, but are incredibly difficult to come by.

For those advocating creating alts to farm through Caledon or Ashford, I’ve taken two Sylvari through Caledon since the patch which moved vanilla to herb nodes, and come out with 9 vanilla beans, after farming every node I came across. I took my main back through Caledon on a farming trip, and found no vanilla.

This really does need some kind of fix, possibly along the lines of some of the excellent ideas above.

Founder of Agenda [GNDA] – an LGBT-friendly guild

in Crafting

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

The whole time I have played, I have never seen a vanilla bean in the game up pop up from a plant. With the Vanilla Bean in Bulk now gone, I have no idea how i can even the kitten thing. Its just too kitten rare now and way too frustrating cooking wise. I feel like I am stuck at a leveling point with cooking without it as well totally lacking the ability to make food I like. I should have bought the bulk while I had the chance instead of saving karma. Craft was fun for me, now its just freaking frustrating. Frustrating is the word of the day for me.

in Crafting

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

I have to second, third and fourth some of the comments here. Some ingredients (vanilla and chili peppers in particular) are required in quite large quantities throughout all tiers of cooking, but are incredibly difficult to come by.

For those advocating creating alts to farm through Caledon or Ashford, I’ve taken two Sylvari through Caledon since the patch which moved vanilla to herb nodes, and come out with 9 vanilla beans, after farming every node I came across. I took my main back through Caledon on a farming trip, and found no vanilla.

This really does need some kind of fix, possibly along the lines of some of the excellent ideas above.

So… I happened to dust off my lvl 12 warrior last night for a break from working on 100% map completion with my lvl 80 thief. Was running around in Caledon and saw an herb patch… scooped up 5 (FIVE!) Vanilla beans off the plant.

Now don’t get me wrong, I did a happy little dance of joy because I could instantly crank out a few items once I got back on my thief, but then I got to thinking… does my level impact the drop rate on crafting mats from Herbs?

I only bring it up because I took that same thief through Caledon to snag copper when I switched out Leather Worker for Jewel Crafter…. I hit every resource node as I rushed the zone for low lvl mats and got no Vanilla then…. but the very first node I hit with my Thief… BAM!

I don’t think it’s likely… I think it’s just bad luck… but it kinda makes you wonder right?

I know there’s some strong advocacy for ‘go back to starter zones, do low level content again,’ to address this issue with Chef, but I’m going to be honest… after an hour of wandering around Caledon, I found myself jonesing for the faster paced, more threatening content in Frostgorge, Orr… and I’ll be honest, Hrathi Hinterlands with the insanely fun Centaur event chain.

I think the low level zones do a great job of what low level zones should do. They provide a good sandbox to learn a class and how to play the game. They can help you immerse yourself in the culture of a race, and they’re beautifully well done… but, it’s rare that I return to the 1-15 or 15-25 zones and find the content rewarding to play in its own right.

Sorry, don’t want to derail a great thread and conversation, but I really do wonder what the best way to address the low level mats is.

BTW, can someone weigh in on a related question: Do other crafts need early level items to produce lvl 400 goods? The jewel crafting I’m doing at lvl 400 is all using Orichalum / Orbs / Ecto and whatever the t6 dust is, I haven’t had to go backwards to produce goods at the max level of the craft. Are there crafts that do have to do this or is it unique to Chef?

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

in Crafting

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

The situation with vanilla beans is ridiculous.

Also, if they hoped to fix people powerlevelling cooking for free levels, then their changes didn’t work. They just kitten off legitimate chefs. e.g. I levelled cooking 1-400 after the nerf in <30 mins. It cost more money than the first time, but not that much more.

in Crafting

Posted by: CtrlAltDel.5309

CtrlAltDel.5309

The 5 beans was just luck. I’ve often gotten 3-5 while farming with my level 80 and no. No other professions requires lower level mats.

BTW vanilla beans were up to 3s a piece while omonomonomnom berries were 98c.

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

And where are my kitten Oranges? I need me my Vitamin C! But seriously tho Arena net, I’ve only had one orange drop ever since you nerfed cooking and I have been level 80 for a while (it came from a moldy bag from a pirate). My cooking level has not moved ever since the nerf. Where te oranges, BRING EM OUT BRING EM….please.

I get oranges all the time; they drop from bags.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson