Why force individuals to craft?

in Crafting

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

I’m sure there are many other players out there like me – those who hate crafting. ANet’s take on a new crafting system seemed novelty and interesting at first, and then was quickly extinguished as I slashed my sword through Tyria.

But why are we forced into crafting Ascended gear?

Many people will say.. “You don’t need Ascended” “if you want it just craft” “buy the materials” “it’s only X% better” etc, etc.

Is it a lost art to fight for the best gear? I understand there are drop chances for ascended items in FotM, however, I am at level 40 (and have repeated other levels) and have only seen one person get this weapon chest. So rare at high fractals, but craftable?

tldr; let us fight for loot, make ascended more accessible through fotm play

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Crafting

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

meh i agree, i probably wont bother with ascended weapons and armor till i can sell it to others for at least 20% profit on my investment. and i LOVE crafting.
the lack of being able to trade it just made me go “meh” the second i read the patch notes.

in Crafting

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

It is anet’s way of time gating to get people to log in every day. I don’t necessarily like it but I see what they are trying to accomplish.

Having said that, I look at it two ways.

1. Crafting, while boring and tedious at times, is really easy. Follow a guide and spend 30 minutes to max craft. Then it’s like 20 seconds a day in refining time. Not really that bad in the grand scheme of things.

2. Something like this is much better than some terrible RNG plan they would likely implement in it’s place. Do you really want to be grinding some dungeon or other area at a chance to get ascended stuff? I’d rather stick to something that is guaranteed (like crafting), at least I know I will have it the day I finish crafting it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Your not forced to craft anything unless you feel you NEED Ascended armor.

in Crafting

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Your not forced to craft anything unless you feel you NEED Ascended armor.

Very good point and I will expand on it a little.

It’s just like Legendary items. You don’t need one, but if you want one you need items from all over Tyria. Which basically forces you to go out of your comfort zones and do different things. Ascended armor/weapons is the same thing. In order to craft them, you have to go out and do things you may or may not like to obtain them. Neither one is necessary to play this game and all the pressure you feel on getting ascended stuff is self imposed.

Note: Before you say: “But you can buy legendaries off the TP”, anet already admitted that was a mistake and they are right about that.

in Crafting

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

meh i agree, i probably wont bother with ascended weapons and armor till i can sell it to others for at least 20% profit on my investment. and i LOVE crafting.
the lack of being able to trade it just made me go “meh” the second i read the patch notes.

You could have sold bolt of damask for 200-300% profit on the first days, now its like 30% profit and will stay that way for a couple of weeks more, these figures could be alot more if you stockpiled crafting mats pre-patch.

in Crafting

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

While I agree that there should be more ways to acquire Ascended gear. But I do remember the “olden” days of MMO, where crafting is useless and often times people ask the purpose of it. I haven’t played every MMO out there but have played quite a few, BiS had nearly nothing to do with crafting.

GW2 has it’s own system for both, you fight a diverse amount of enemies to get the materials you need for crafting the ascended gear. This requires both aspects of the game. While you can argue that there is nothing hard or challenging and it’s just a material farm, I’d like ot remind you it’s because GW2 has nothing epic or challenging PvE wise you can do to get that epic drop you need to craft with.

So sadly it’s just a grind and craft.

[DONE]

in Crafting

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

You could have sold bolt of damask for 200-300% profit on the first days, now its like 30% profit and will stay that way for a couple of weeks more, these figures could be alot more if you stockpiled crafting mats pre-patch.

thats a once a day craft, might have high % but the quantities make it not worth it :P

in Crafting

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Buy resources, exchange it for items = craft in gw2. It is like NPC. You just buy items for silk scraps etc.

Just go and do it. There is no excuse.

English is not my native language, sorry :<