Why have level requirements on recipes...?

in Crafting

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

I’ve just done Sorrow’s Embrace with my level 66 character, who has maxed out (400) jewelcrafting. I got a recipe for an exotic BoE ring which I cannot learn because the recipe itself requires level 80.

In other words, I can’t make the ring to sell at the TP or to wear on my level 80 characters until I get this specific character to level 80.

Why? What sense does this make? Why have a level 80 requirement on a recipe that drops in a level 65 dungeon? In fact, why have a level requirement at all? Surely the relevant “level” for crafting should be the craft skill level. If a character has 400 in jewelcrafting, it’s not like he can get any “better” at it.

- Al Zheimer

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

God save us from trashy recipes of lv65 rings noone would even barely consider to buy.
Be an 80 and enjoy the rarity you got.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

in Crafting

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Yeah, I ran into that problem when I was 72 and hit Frostgorge Sound, there was a merchant selling level 80 recipes so I bought them all. After I had all of them consuming space in my inventory, I tried to ‘read’ one and BAM! you’re not good enough yet…
So for 8 levels I had to hold onto them because selling them back was a waste of nearly 1g and they were soulbound at the time so I couldn’t even TP them.

in Crafting

Posted by: oneleggedpony.8531

oneleggedpony.8531

I think this must be an oversight or something no? – my level 28 has 400 jewelcrafting and i can make the level 80 exotics i picked up from the tradesmith with karma

Perhaps bug report it? – mention the fact that despite being able to make high level items – this specific item has a level requirement to learn the actual recipe – when in fact many top tier pieces do not have this requirement.

Hopefully you’ll get a response -

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

You’re not supposed to craft nor wear 80 armor pieces when 28, where is the sense of progression? How a 28 can have orichalcum? Nothing needs to be touched at all, just play and craft accordingly to your level

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

(edited by Lucas Ashrock.8675)

in Crafting

Account.9832

God save us from trashy recipes of lv65 rings noone would even barely consider to buy.
Be an 80 and enjoy the rarity you got.

Your post becomes significantly less “clever” in view of the fact that the recipe is for a level 80 ring (Husk of the Destroyer), which is why the original post mentions “making it to wear on level 80 characters”.

You’re not supposed to craft nor wear 80 armor pieces when 28, where is the sense of progression?

Again, your reply becomes significantly less “clever” when paired with the information that the items in question only bind on use.

If the game wasn’t designed to let characters craft items for other characters, it wouldn’t allow a thief to become a tailor, for example. There are these things called “Bank”, “Mail” and “Trading Post”, that allow characters to swap and sell items to each other. You should check them out, some day.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in Crafting

Account.9832

I think this must be an oversight or something no? […] Perhaps bug report it?

I reported the same issue with another set of recipes (the “Corrupted” items – Corrupted Spear, Corrupted Cudgel, etc.), bought from an NPC (these aren’t even exotic, they’re masterwork quality, but you cannot learn them unless your character is level 80).

And, two major (and several minor) patches later, those haven’t been fixed, so either this is intentional or no one bothers to read bug reports (or both).

I’d like to see some sort of official explanation as to what Arena Net thinks the game (or its players, or even the publisher) gains by making these recipes impossible to learn before level 80.

- Al Zheimer

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I agree, character level requirements don’t make sense on recipes.

Yeah, I ran into that problem when I was 72 and hit Frostgorge Sound, there was a merchant selling level 80 recipes so I bought them all. After I had all of them consuming space in my inventory, I tried to ‘read’ one and BAM! you’re not good enough yet…
So for 8 levels I had to hold onto them because selling them back was a waste of nearly 1g and they were soulbound at the time so I couldn’t even TP them.

I got one of those for my ranger, who is my huntsman and leatherworker. He was level 8 when I got it about a month ago, and level 15 now. I’ve said my goodbyes to that inventory slot.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Crafting

Account.9832

I’ve said my goodbyes to that inventory slot.

With the “corrupted” weapon recipes, it’s more like eight inventory slots.

- Al Zheimer

in Crafting

Posted by: oneleggedpony.8531

oneleggedpony.8531

one thought i have; though i’m confused by it myself – would perhaps be in the rarity of the item. If the stats were coveted as particularly difficult to obtain or perhaps provided a unique set of stats in the same way tri forge and karka shells give balanced and rare stat allocation.

With regards to the recipe dropping from a level 65 instance on a lvl 66 character – whilst unusual – i have recieved high level drops from low level areas ( i received lvl 76 blue and greens from plains of ashford on a lvl 80). – Perhaps the reverse can be true?

Given your post was made on 30th November – I would hazard a guess that perhaps the BoE ring was part of the new loots added to dungeons and as mentioned before the lvl requirements were an oversight.

The above comes to mind as prior to the 15th Nov patch- i hardly received jewelry and backslot items as dungeon loot – but have since found quite a few. I’d hazard a guess that the recipe was a late addition and as such, was perhaps rushed into an inappropriate loot table or some such.

Either way – making mention of it highlights it for people – if one thing slips through perhaps theres more and – we can end up getting a list of similar items unless one already exists?

in Crafting

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

It’s the primitive system that the "devs" copied from WoW. I can’t believe that a "new" and "modern mmo" like this one is still using that outdated crappy system.

Mors janua vitæ

in Crafting

Account.9832

With regards to the recipe dropping from a level 65 instance on a lvl 66 character – whilst unusual

I don’t think it’s unusual at all. The recipe is called “Husk of the Destroyer” and drops from a boss called “Destroyer of Worlds”. They clearly knew who the recipe was going to drop from, and what level the instance was.

Even if the recipe was only supposed to drop for level 80 characters (which wouldn’t make any sense – they are levelled down to 65 when inside that instance anyway), then it would make even less sense to have a level 80 requirement to learn – since lower level characters wouldn’t get it to begin with.

It’s just incomprehensible why they have a character level requirement on a crafting recipe, which already has (and should be governed by) the craft skill level requirement.

But, as mentioned above, this happens with several other recipes, has been reported months ago, and hasn’t been fixed, so one can only assume that someone at Arena Net thinks this improves the game in some obscure way.

In fact, even from a commercial point of view, this seems like a shot in the foot, since it makes it less desirable for players to have alts (versus concentrating all their professions on a single character), and Arena Net makes a profit whenever players buy a new character slot.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in Crafting

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

I’ve just done Sorrow’s Embrace with my level 66 character, who has maxed out (400) jewelcrafting. I got a recipe for an exotic BoE ring which I cannot learn because the recipe itself requires level 80.

In other words, I can’t make the ring to sell at the TP or to wear on my level 80 characters until I get this specific character to level 80.

Why? What sense does this make? Why have a level 80 requirement on a recipe that drops in a level 65 dungeon? In fact, why have a level requirement at all? Surely the relevant “level” for crafting should be the craft skill level. If a character has 400 in jewelcrafting, it’s not like he can get any “better” at it.

You have one of those extremely rare level 80 exotic recipes. Which means you out of a very small group of people can make those rings. Those rings specifically sell for 2g-15g(rings vary). Do not judge the book by it’s cover, you have no idea how lucky you are.

in Crafting

Account.9832

Those rings specifically sell for 2g-15g(rings vary). Do not judge the book by it’s cover, you have no idea how lucky you are.

The rings sell for whatever people are willing to pay for them. They have exactly the same stat budget as any other exotic ring, and often the same stat mix.

No one is going to buy them now, anyway, due to the release of ascended gear (in fact, with all the ways of obtaining ascended items, and with the lack of a gem slot in those, being a jewelcrafter is now practically useless – yet another negative and clearly not properly pondered side-effect of the pink gear blunder).

Anyway, the thread has nothing to do with the “value” of the ring. This is about having player level requirements on crafting recipes (instead of a far more logical crafting skill requirement).

- Al Zheimer