Why is celestial armor time-gated?

in Crafting

Posted by: Schadenfreude is our Friend.6950

Schadenfreude is our Friend.6950

Just came back to the game after a 6 month hiatus, since I have about two days before I get too busy to play again.

Apparently, if I want to craft a set of full celestial armor, it will take me a minimum of 30 days, playing every day to mine and refine quartz. I don’t have that kind of time, and I wish I could play a lot during special events, but I simply don’t have that kind of freedom to play games anymore. One reason I always enjoyed GW2 was that it was at least possible as a casual player- I have a couple of fully geared 80s to play around with in WvW- but why is celestial suddenly so much harder to get than other exotic prefixes? It’s absurd. By the time I finish the armor set I won’t even be able to use it.

Why is this?

in Crafting

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

It was their first introduction of time gating, when Zypher Scantum came out….roughly 3 months ago. I wish I had an answer for you other than they wanted to test out time gating before ascended materials came out. If they had gotten rid of the time gaiting after that LS I think most people wouldn’t still be complaining about it (or at least let you sell the armor on the tp).

Especially since ascended armor is coming out with less time gating (almost none if you have the money to spend). Depending how much money you have (and how much time you have within the next two days), it may be better in the long term to just get the ascended armor with celestial stats when it comes out.

in Crafting

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

Yeah this whole time gated on Celestial is crap,it took me 2+ months to make the armor and weapons for two of my toons.

Wupwup weapons are the most Time gated item in the game.Wupwup armor is going to be even worse.

in Crafting

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Now that it lost the magic find, it should be non-timegated.

in Crafting

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

It gained even more +crit damage when it lost the magic find.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Crafting

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Wupwup weapons are the most Time gated item in the game.

Ya at taking… just as long as any other ascended weapon because the inscription only takes 5 days?

in Crafting

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

At this point, I would no longer start to craft a Celestial Exotic armor set. I’d make do with some other, more easily obtained one until the Ascended are out. Since the images are already there, I fear it will not be long.

in Crafting

Posted by: Avatara.1042

It gained even more +crit damage when it lost the magic find.

Um, no. It gained nothing, which is why most people banked it.

in Crafting

Posted by: meikodesign.6471

meikodesign.6471

It was their first introduction of time gating, when Zypher Scantum came out….roughly 3 months ago.

Before that there was Ascended trinkets with FotM tokens, Laurels and Guild tokens.
They started it 2 month after the release actually.

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
Little Lunavi – Ranger – Rank 4x
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]

(edited by meikodesign.6471)

in Crafting

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Yeah this whole time gated on Celestial is crap,it took me 2+ months to make the armor and weapons for two of my toons.

Maybe we should start PLAYING the game and ENJOYING it just for the sake of getting a good time, and whine less about why we can’t get ALL the equipment we want in just one hour…

Really, two months to craft two whole sets of the most time consuming armor doesn’t look like too much effort to me. In other games I had been though almost a year just to get a whole set.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I don’t disagree that Anet should consider removing (or relaxing) the time gating on the Charged Crystals. The downside is all the flak they will take from players that spent 2 months outfitting toons (tho I think they already took that flak when the MF was removed without any additions).

Maybe allow 1 Charged Crystal per character per day? Possibly allow them to be sold on TP?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’ve always assumed they added time gates so there isn’t a huge rush to make it happen. If there was no time gate on celestial, for example, everyone would of gone out and made a set like it was any other set in the game – not something special.
ascended, for some reason, isn’t time gated. They might say it is, but it isn’t. In reality, it’s grind gated. every ascended requires 25 dungeons, 25 world events, 50 champions. If you’re going to point out the once-per-day material, I’ll point you to the TP that totally negates that. time-gating ascended materials was probably done so the market wasn’t completely flooded with them all at once, instead we ease into it. If this is the case, they should remove the limit a few months after ascended armor comes out.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

They should allow us either to convert exotic celestial items into ascended or at the very least allow us to extract the celestial inscriptions from those items so that those who spent all that time building up exotic sets wont be further behind than those who didn’t. It feels like they are punishing you for playing their game the way they want you to. Kind of Schizophrenic.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Maybe we should start PLAYING the game and ENJOYING it just for the sake of getting a good time, and whine less about why we can’t get ALL the equipment we want in just one hour…

Really, two months to craft two whole sets of the most time consuming armor doesn’t look like too much effort to me. In other games I had been though almost a year just to get a whole set.

You are missing the point of the complaint and failing to see that there is a superior alternative.

The complaint was that the way the time gating as implemented created a derogatory experience (login and click on the items required for the single craft every day with the feeling that if you failed to log in or be unable to log in on any single day you’d be screwed so you felt like you were being forced to login and click on the recipie every day instead of logging in and doing what you wanted to or not logging in at all that day because you didn’t feel like it/couldn’t find the time). Thus the time gating as implemented both kept players from doing what they wanted to do when they logged in and also made the player feel like they were being forced to log in. I believe that complaint is both legitimate and fair.

There are other options that Anet could have implemented which would have had the same effect as time gating without the unnecessary mundane component. For instance instead of having to individually craft every single at a rate of 1 per day over a period of 60 days, Anet could have simple implemented a system where you hire an NPC to do the crafting who consumes the components at a rate averaging 1/day (that is once you start the clock running on the NPC crafter the NPC will be finished in 2 months from the moment you start the clock ticking no matter when you give the NPC the materials), and you can turn in the materials one a time, in batches, or all at once and the NPC does not finish crafting until 2 conditions are met:
1) a minimum of 2 months have passed
2) the NPC has been given all the materials required
Once both conditions have been fulfilled you will get a mail from the NPC who says your item is ready and then you go pick the item up.

That to my mind is a vastly superior system which still places a 2 month minimum requirement but removes a lot of the unnecessary tedium.

(edited by Ellisande.5218)

in Crafting

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Who said one hour, puckwallow? Thing is, at 5 charged crystals per ANYTHING, to make a full set of gear for one toon, ONE, much less alts, is 30 crystals for the armour, 25 for the jewelry, 5 per weapon, which can be another 30 if you like having multiple sets for different situations. So you are talking 2 to 3 months of charging crystals, for the sake of a stupid, slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, drooling mechanic. And to give prigs like yourself the chance to make strawman arguments in the forums that are pointless and as stupid as the mechanic itself.

in Crafting

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Who said one hour, puckwallow? Thing is, at 5 charged crystals per ANYTHING, to make a full set of gear for one toon, ONE, much less alts, is 30 crystals for the armour, 25 for the jewelry, 5 per weapon, which can be another 30 if you like having multiple sets for different situations. So you are talking 2 to 3 months of charging crystals, for the sake of a stupid, slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, drooling mechanic. And to give prigs like yourself the chance to make strawman arguments in the forums that are pointless and as stupid as the mechanic itself.

25 for jewelry? strawman right there, also you can buy exotic celestial stats on some weapons.

in Crafting

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Main problem I see is that celestial is still exotic. And it is only exotic armor which is time-gated. So Anet make all exotics time gated or make none of them time gated.
Otherwise it does not make sense to have some exotics time gated and the rest not.

in Crafting

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Just came back to the game after a 6 month hiatus, since I have about two days before I get too busy to play again.

Apparently, if I want to craft a set of full celestial armor, it will take me a minimum of 30 days, playing every day to mine and refine quartz. I don’t have that kind of time, and I wish I could play a lot during special events, but I simply don’t have that kind of freedom to play games anymore. One reason I always enjoyed GW2 was that it was at least possible as a casual player- I have a couple of fully geared 80s to play around with in WvW- but why is celestial suddenly so much harder to get than other exotic prefixes? It’s absurd. By the time I finish the armor set I won’t even be able to use it.

Why is this?

Well they could fixit by only allowing ascended weaponry in WvW and making the armors unequippable while in a WvW zone, because I recall (and I have a long memory with this game) when they claimed that the only reason why they made ascended was for the higher fractals, that it’s purpose was to give the dungeoneers something to do….so if they kept it completely honest they could just keep it from being used in WvW altogether and then only the people who do fractals would be breaking their legs to get the materials together for the armor I mean (not the weapons).

I do agree with you on celestial it’s entirely too difficult to make a set and someone mentioned it’s exotic so yeah that’s ridiculous.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

EVERYONE who made Celestial gear had to wait. OP, you aren’t an exception because you took a hiatus.

in Crafting

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I have a full celestial set of armour on my guardian and I have no objection to having the time gate AND the bind on account removed from Celestial Armour/Trinkets.