cooking, vanilla drop rate++

in Crafting

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

hellow,

i am going to post the list of items on the bottom of my post, but right now there are about 18 recipes that require the vanilla item (once or more).
15 of those items are lower level (high level being the last tier of items crafteble with cooking)
this means 83% of the items that use vanilla are for lower level.
and the price of vanilla peeked 3silver+ this day (this being the reason for this post).

3 silver is a lot of money for the lower leveled players. to much money i would say, since this would mean that they have to spend 45 silver (or about half a gold) to be able to make all the recipes using vanilla, before cooking is profitable.

i find this an argument to increase the drop rate for vanilla by one of these:
add vanilla to be a drop from the loot bags.
give more vanilla when you harvest it.
add vanilla to more tiered herb patches.

remember, you used to be able to buy vanilla from a frog person in Metrica Province, for karma (and not that much karma to be frank) so i do not think vanilla is meant to be the limiting factor to about 18 recipes.

now for the list: minor spoilers
[spoiler=
(L means lowlevel)
cherry vanilla compote L
sugar cookie L
caramel L
caramel apple L
loaf of omnomberry bread
loaf of raspberry peach bread L
loaf of banana bread L
loaf of walnut sticky bread L
white cakes L
chocolate cakes L
chocolate cherry cake L
chocolate raspberry cake L
chocolate omnomberry cake
banana cream pie L
omnomberry bar
raspberry peach bar L
orange coconut bar L
cherry almond bar L
this list does not contain recipes that are bought from renown heats or any other means of acquire but the discovery tab. (an example of this would be “bowl of jelly ooze custard” L)]
[/spoiler]
apologies for any grammatical or spelling errors, not a native English speaker.

(edited by Cyto.9401)

in Crafting

Posted by: CtrlAltDel.5309

CtrlAltDel.5309

I fully support this.

in Crafting

Posted by: Xeres.6874

Xeres.6874

i dunno, I liked making 40s selling the vanilla I’ve gathered while doing zone completion in brisbane wildlands….

bad for you….but good for me?

I would say NO to adding it to goodie bags drops….trophies, cores/frags/slivers, etc are much better than more bloody butter and chocolate….

and i think the master chef warns you that cooking can be expensive….

in Crafting

Posted by: DenverRalphy.4185

DenverRalphy.4185

and i think the master chef warns you that cooking can be expensive….

You’re warned that it’s expensive on Karma, not that you’ll be paying out the nose with coin.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sparkie.3465

Sparkie.3465

I can’t help but play Devil’s Advocate here.

You’ve framed your argument to focus on low-level items that use vanilla. I assume you mean to say that vanilla is a barrier to leveling cooking. I disagree. There are vanilla-free recipes to circumvent the scarcity issue. Lack of vanilla is not going to prevent anyone from getting to 400 cooking.

I suspect that what you really intend to complain about is the omnomberry bar. I think you’ll have to look at the buff and decide whether it’s worth the 40+ silver. I haven’t gotten to Orr yet, so I don’t know how much money you get from monster drops there. I know that the monsters I fight barely drop any money at all. I have a hard time believing that you kill enough monsters in Orr to make 1 gold without the buff in 30 minutes (not considering gold from magic drops and events – just from monster coin drop!).

If I have guessed correctly, then I would like to steer you towards the Omnomberry Tart. It gives the same 30% magic find bonus but the ingredients look much more reasonable. Omnomberry bars are a gold sink right now – you’ll never make up the price of vanilla with them.

in Crafting

Posted by: Paladine.6082

Paladine.6082

Vanilla rates suck, period. ANet should have fixed this weeks ago.

Mystic Forge Attempts for Pre-Legendary
Lvl 80 Axes : Rare: 483; Exotic: 4 – Frostfang: 0
Lvl 80 Swords : Rare: 20; Exotic: 0 – Zap: 0

in Crafting

Posted by: Brainlag.7234

Brainlag.7234

If this goes on I can buy Dusk in 2-3 weeks with the Vanilla Beans I have left.

in Crafting

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

Quick note about Omnomberry Bars and gold on Orr. I spent 2 hours running in Orr last night with my g/f. I ran Omnom, she didn’t. (Not as a controlled test… just happened that way.) As a note for those who will be interested, we were running around Straits of Devestation, working on the events leading up to the Balthazar temple… did the chains twice (failed at the big mean priest twice.)

When we started the night, she was pretty close to flat broke (afraid to die and not be able to afford the waypoint broke), but ended the night at 40s. I probably gained 80s, give or take.

We both got the same number of rare drops, but it seemed like I had to empty inventory more often. Also, we compared how much coin was dropping from mobs…. it was routine for me to get 1s+ from a single mob… she rarely got above 60c.

Is it worth the cost of vanilla? I don’t know. If you gather your own omnomberries and have everything else… and given that 1 bean + 1 berry yields 2 omnomberry bars… I would think so.

This ‘evidence’ is anecdotal, affected by RNG, your mileage may vary.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

When we started the night, she was pretty close to flat broke (afraid to die and not be able to afford the waypoint broke), but ended the night at 40s. I probably gained 80s, give or take.

You can still res with the waypoint if you don’t have the money for it.
If you have any money in your bank it will use that but if that is empty/insufficient it will still let you res.

in Crafting

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Anet simply wont increase vanilla drop rates. Doing so would result 3/4 of the population running around high on omnom bars. The market would get flooded with gold/ exotic items. So, just get over it. It’s not going to happen.

in Crafting

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

@ OmiPotentes – no way. You want to make Omnomberry bars rare (expensive)? Decrease the spawn rates of Omnomberries, don’t make it cost prohibitive to make lower level cooking items because vanilla beans are so scarce.

Let me tell you what the vanilla bean change is like. Imagine that Arenanet decided that crafting armor was too easy and cheap, so they decided to take away the various threads from the Master Craft trainers. Instead, those threads were now a rare drop from the bags mobs drop in the same level range as the level of the armor they are used to craft.

THAT is exactly what Arenanet did to vanilla beans (it is actually WORSE) and it is ridiculous. Vanilla beans need to be wayyy more common than they currently are and Arenanet knows it – PLEASE FIX IT.

in Crafting

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Vanilla beans were made rare in an unplanned fashion due to a knee-jerk nerf to people trading karma for gold early on. It wasn’t planned or designed to be as such, along with some other ingredients, and thus it has basically broken end game cooking, let alone those trying to level up without the use of vanilla bean.

It needs fixing, but who knows when they will get to that. Cooking in general needs an entire revamp.

~ AoN ~

in Crafting

Posted by: Victoria.3461

Victoria.3461

Please fix the vanilla bean problem. I don’t even bother to cook any longer. There is no way I am going to pay the ridiculus prices for vanilla beans on the TP.

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

If I have guessed correctly, then I would like to steer you towards the Omnomberry Tart. It gives the same 30% magic find bonus but the ingredients look much more reasonable. Omnomberry bars are a gold sink right now – you’ll never make up the price of vanilla with them.

You say that, but two Omnomberry bars will sell for ~6.7s, which is ~5.7s after tax.

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

Do you guys ever use any food other than +MF? What about PVP?