which crafting is best to focus on first

in Crafting

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

ive been playing for a couple weeks now, figure its about time i work on my crafting. which crafting skill(s) do you think new players should focus on working up? one of the 3 armor crafting skill seems like a good one for making bags, especially since i am goofing around with multiple characters/classes still. but what do i focus on for my second skill? match a weapon skill to whichever i decide to main or go with a chef/jeweler?

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in Crafting

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It depends on what you’re long term goals are. Some are more expensive than others to level (i.e. tailoring). If you are going for a legendary, you’ll need weapon smith, and a little bit in jeweler, iirc.

It also depends on which professions you play. If you want to craft for a heavy armored class, you’ll need armorsmith, and weaponsmith. For light, tailoring and artificer/weaponsmith, for medium, leatherworking and huntsman/weaponsmith. Also bags can be made with all the armor crafting professions, so you don’t need to go just with armorsmith just for the bags.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Crafting

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Getting Ascended weapons is more important than getting Ascended armor. Just keep that in mind.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If you play multiple alts, i would suggest cooking and jeweling. Both are cheap to level and produce items that are used by all classes.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Cooking and jewelcrafting do not require fine materials, which means that they are less likely to compete for resources with your armour profession. Cooking is cheap, but can require a lot of storage, so I would advise against doing it in one big hit.

in Crafting

Posted by: blickquickly.4168

blickquickly.4168

Seems to me that crafting will always fall behind on your leveling or take so much farming that your eyes will bleed, so do whatever you want. Choose the one that seems like it will be useful in the long run. just my 2 cents.

Look, I cant promise I’ll try….But I’ll try to try.

in Crafting

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

What are your profession? chose one that your character can use.

Medium armor toon – huntsman + leather worker .

Guild Wars 2 Forever

in Crafting

Posted by: Mike Hawk.4835

Mike Hawk.4835

The answer depends, but as a generally good rule of thumb …

1. Cooking is probably the cheapest one to hit 400 with. If you use crafting and xp boosters, you can get a good 6-8 levels on your toon while leveling up your craft. Unfortunately, cooking also has the lowest ROI so you’ll wind up trashing 90% of what you make when following a guide.

2. Focus on what you need first. If you plan to make ascended/exotic gear for a specific toon, then level that profession first.

3. I agree that an ascended weapon should be made before ascended armor.

4. Focus on one profession at a time and finish it before starting another one. If you spread out your materials and gold expense across many, you’ll feel like you aren’t accomplishing much and getting them to 400 (or higher) will take that much longer.

5. Follow a guide. Always follow a guide. There are many guides online, some are better than others. Look for a guide that has a mechanism to build a custom guide based on cost of materials (to provide you the cheapest option). Also, for cooking, make sure the guide gives you the option between using and not using materials only available from karma vendors.

6. When following a guide, complete a full section at a time. The market and prices change very quickly, so if you only get 1/2 of what you need today, the guide will be different tomorrow and so will the costs associated with it. (For example, if a guide shows you the material list for 0-200, make sure you have the whole list before starting. If you cannot do it, then wait and check back in a couple of days or so.)

Maguuma – [VEIN] – [CTB]

in Crafting

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As others have noted, “best” depends on your needs. Some have offered suggestions based on assuming what those needs are.

I knew I was going to have four characters crafting and would max crafts early on, so I tried to match the disciplines together, even though that means my mesmer is the armorsmith and can’t use much from that discipline. That led me to make different choices than others have recommended above.

Some people like to figure out how to max their crafts on their own, so using a guide is out for them.

tl;dr let us know what you want to achieve, so we can offer advice that suits you best.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Crafting

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

well i cant decide still on what profession i want to actually play, they all have their own fun and one hasnt really stuck out to me as “the one.” Warr, Ranger, and mes are the front runners working on getting each one worked up to the first dungeon.
i started on weaponsmithing and leatherworking (they seem not to use the same materials too often). they are both only around level 40-50.
i did do a lil bit of cooking but the few items i made are soulbound and cant transfer to other alts, so i didnt look much into it.
ill check out the crafting guide sites thanks!

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in Crafting

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

Definitely depends on needs. personally, I made alts, put 2 professions on 4 alts and went from there. I have a lvl 2xwarrior with 400 in both jeweller and cook for instance. While I have a guard, engineer and ele housing their respective weapon/armor types.

As mentioned, the boost from ascended armor is not huge. I got everything to 400, then started working on the weapon professions for 500. I main an engineer, so I did huntsman first, then weaponsmith and artificer will be next. Ill make ascended weapons as i have a character that can use them and as I have materials.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kranthor of Gondor.3791

Kranthor of Gondor.3791

Could you guys put up your favorite guide for us? I just started this game a few weeks ago as well. I have collected everything I can and have not started making anything yet. My first character is a human warrior. I have him at about lvl 55 now and If I dont get crafting with him soon I will be left behind. Was thinking weapons with him. But I would like a guide that would help me along the way showing what I need to get to a certain point before I start anything. Thanks guys. Very helpful thread.

in Crafting

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

well i cant decide still on what profession i want to actually play, they all have their own fun and one hasnt really stuck out to me as “the one.” Warr, Ranger, and mes are the front runners working on getting each one worked up to the first dungeon.
i started on weaponsmithing and leatherworking (they seem not to use the same materials too often). they are both only around level 40-50.
i did do a lil bit of cooking but the few items i made are soulbound and cant transfer to other alts, so i didnt look much into it.
ill check out the crafting guide sites thanks!

Maybe you don’t know this: you can change professions/crafting discipline how’s it called in GW2 anytime without losing progress. You have to pay a fee for it though. But at the end you can have any crafting discipline you want.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Crafting

blickquickly.4168

What is the fee? Ive changed my professions on a warrior toon a few times now and dont recall paying any fee.

in Crafting

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

You pay 40s for a 400 profession, so it’s 10% per craftinglevel. This means, you pay 10s if you are crafting level 100 etc. At least I think it’s like this.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Crafting

blickquickly.4168

Hmmmmm…..I forgot to check yesterday, but I just dont remember being prompted to pay anything to change my profession.

Im completely against such a fee just for the record.