ANet designers wanted Evon to win too

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/441278394

Skip to 24:50.

Theo Nguyen, who was the designer for Queen’s Jubilee, would have had more fun making the Abaddon fractal.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

(edited by TheKillerAngel.3596)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

ANet employees were split on who they wanted to win.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

the majority of the community obviously didn’t play the original guild wars and are all bandwagoners who think the 2 in GW2 is just a dragon

in Cutthroat Politics

TheKillerAngel.3596

ANet employees were split on who they wanted to win.

The title character limit doesn’t allow me to state that, but I think it’s pertinent to say that at least one person involved in the gameplay design, more than anything else, wanted to work on the Abaddon fractal.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Dardevilmon.6702

Dardevilmon.6702

the majority of the community obviously didn’t play the original guild wars and are all bandwagoners who think the 2 in GW2 is just a dragon

Or they arleady know what happens in whit abbandon and now want some new lore that is as quoted by devs stongly attached to gw2 lore.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Another dev said they had an amazing idea for the other fractal. The devs all had differing opinions – it was just part of the spirit of fun after all. A lot of people have taken it way too seriously

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

Or they arleady know what happens in whit abbandon and now want some new lore that is as quoted by devs stongly attached to gw2 lore.

the guild wars 2 lore sucks though compared to guild wars 1

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Dardevilmon.6702

Dardevilmon.6702

the guild wars 2 lore sucks though compared to guild wars 1

Well you had gw1 lore for i dont know how many years and you can still play it some ppl just want things to change not everybody is super in love whit gw1(btw i aggre that gw2 lore is bad but it doesnt mean it cant get better).

Edit:jsut to add why do ppl think they will get tons of lore from a fractal just look at the rest of them they are suposed to be short 20-30 min dungeons orientated to combat and mechanics of boss

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

The Abaddon fractal would have been the first fall of Abaddon, not his ultimate demise as shown in GW:NF as most of you seem to think.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Omega.4950

Omega.4950

There’s nothing new about Thurnova. Its a power plant that blew up. The end.

Order Of The Mists [OOM]
http://mists.cadimus.net

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Attractive female vs ugly cat
War Hero vs Greedy merchant
Cheaper waypoints vs Gem Store fluff
Nuclear reactor fractal vs Lore character most players dont know fractal

This was an election between being given a massage and being struck with a Baseballbat, did anyone actually think Evon stood a chance?

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

There’s nothing new about Thurnova. Its a power plant that blew up. The end.

Oh sweet! Since you have already seen the content can you tell us what the Elder Dragons have to do with it? Also since I have a psychic’s attention would you mind PMing the winning powerball numbers this week?

Thanks!

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Another dev said they had an amazing idea for the other fractal. The devs all had differing opinions – it was just part of the spirit of fun after all. A lot of people have taken it way too seriously

It’s the devs fault for joking, don’t they know that MMO are serious business. Joking isn’t allowed.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Cutthroat Politics

TheKillerAngel.3596

Oh sweet! Since you have already seen the content can you tell us what the Elder Dragons have to do with it?

The Inquest were harnessing dragon energies in efforts to create super soldiers or augment their own capabilities. See: Crucible of Eternity. The reason why the Inquest are interested in the elder dragons is just blatantly obvious.

(edited by TheKillerAngel.3596)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Omega.4950

Omega.4950

The inquest were harnessing dragon energies in efforts to create super soldiers or augment their own capabilities. See: Crucible of Eternity

More Inquest. Fantastic….

Order Of The Mists [OOM]
http://mists.cadimus.net

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

This is the sadest day ever in GW2 history. The world fallen into a human atheist who doesn’t care about her own gods at all.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

This is the sadest day ever in GW2 history. The world fallen into a human atheist who doesn’t care about her own gods at all.

I doubt the gods would be interested in the Charr using THEM for his own agenda (whatever it might have been in the future). So in a way, she is extremely loyal to the gods. Just to add I suspect the gods wouldn’t want the humans and other races to see how Abaddon was able to outsmart and fought equally against the combine might of 5 gods for such a long time as to pose a threat to them.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Theo Nguyen, who was the designer for Queen’s Jubilee, would have had more fun making the Abaddon fractal.

ArenaNet developers wanted Kiel to win as well. You’re not going to find consensus there amongst the developers, just like you’re not going to find it here amongst the players.

To shed some light on my bias, our team brainstormed up a bunch of fractals for you guys to pick from and then we settled on the best two. I got pretty excited about Thaumanova, given what we intend for it to entail so I’m Kiel supporter all the way.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I dunno, it seemed obvious to me that apart from other reasons (just the coolness of having an election in a game to decide content, for one), a subtle reason they put the choices as they were was to see how concerned players are with RNG boxes.

Obviously not much.

Good.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

I am okay that I missed the voting, I am okay with waypoints reduction, I am fine that they won’t do both fractals.

note: They didn’t say they wouldn’t turn it into a dungeon, which is where I would rather see Abbadon anyways.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

People here at the studio where as passionate about this as you folks, so we had both Kiel and Gnashblade supporters. I for example play a charr, so I was obviously on #TeamGnashblade.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

People here at the studio where as passionate about this as you folks, so we had both Kiel and Gnashblade supporters. I for example play a charr, so I was obviously on #TeamGnashblade.

Don’t you think it was a bit unfair though? You guys essentially designed Gnashblade to lose. Shady, stairwell Charr who “supports RNG” vs the “cute, innocent, female war hero leader” (after all she takes credit for our work).

Seems that even people who didn’t know about the bonuses would vote for Kiel. Reduced WP costs or reduced RNG box costs? Yeah Ellen’s victory is a complete shock to me. =|

in Cutthroat Politics

TheKillerAngel.3596

Don’t you think it was a bit unfair though? You guys essentially designed Gnashblade to lose.

I disagree. Some people thought Gnashblade was set up to win. I think what this really boiled down to is hardcore vs casual players.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Don’t you think it was a bit unfair though? You guys essentially designed Gnashblade to lose. Shady, stairwell Charr who “supports RNG” vs the “cute, innocent, female war hero leader” (after all she takes credit for our work).

Seems that even people who didn’t know about the bonuses would vote for Kiel. Reduced WP costs or reduced RNG box costs? Yeah Ellen’s victory is a complete shock to me. =|

For every person who felt it was in favor of Kiel, there was one who felt it was in favor of Evon. There was a pretty large thread crying about Evon favoritism in fact.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Don’t you think it was a bit unfair though? You guys essentially designed Gnashblade to lose.

I disagree. Some people thought Gnashblade was set up to win. I think what this really boiled down to is hardcore vs casual players.

Or new vs old content. Do we want new lore that we don’t know, or old lore that we just don’t know that much of.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: CMEPTb.8091

CMEPTb.8091

How much does it hurt Martin? (softer voice) How much… does… it hurt?

I myself didn’t know my Necromancer had a heart, until I felt the pain of defeat that was today.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

And given there are billion casual players and a few hardcore ones, the winner was rather obvious.

Leman

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

One could argue that the idea of saving real-life money on keys is more appealing than the idea of saving virtual coins on waypoint costs. And that a fractal based on a god was more appealing than a fractal based on a failed Inquest experiment. I feel Evon was set up to have the advantage, honestly.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

Attractive female vs ugly cat
War Hero vs Greedy merchant
Cheaper waypoints vs Gem Store fluff
Nuclear reactor fractal vs Lore character most players dont know fractal

This was an election between being given a massage and being struck with a Baseballbat, did anyone actually think Evon stood a chance?

Unfortunately no I really wanted Evon to win, being a dirty charr lover, his short story was awesome. Although once i saw how they set it up i knew their was no way Evon could win.

O well still didn’t vote for that annoying Kiel wouldn’t mind a fractal in an alternate universe were we kill her as she betrays LA along side Evon.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

I really think they should do the Reactor fractal, and then when that’s finished and in the game, start work on and complete the Abbadon fractal. That would go a LONG way towards keeping both sides of the customer base happy.

I for one would just like to see the Flame & Frost dungeon turned into a fractal. That one was the most fun I’ve had in a dungeon.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Oink.6701

Oink.6701

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Reactor disaster was caused by the Inquest sending people back in time to harness the power of the gods, causing the defeat of Abaddon and an explosion that rippled through time to cause the Reactor explosion. So maybe it could happen?

The election was rigged anyway. I couldn’t find a bucket to cast a vote for Captain Suwash. I hear he would’ve researched the Quaggan-nado fractal and had half-priced crab cakes for everyone.

in Cutthroat Politics

folly dragon.4126

um,

hardcore versus casual? There was nothing hardcore vs casual. Face it, anybody who knows guild wars lore wanted Abbadon ( unless they wanted a change of lore). Those that are not Guild Wars players don’t know about Abbadon. So of course, RNG keys, that are fairly costly even when converting gold to gems or waypoint savings. The Fractals were to cater to Hardcore ( time gated dungeon). The discount (keys or waupoints) was to appeal to casuals.

So the nitty gritty comes down to the discounts and not the fractals. Kiel won because of Waypoints, not because of Fractal and Lore.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

The Abaddon fractal would have been the first fall of Abaddon, not his ultimate demise as shown in GW:NF as most of you seem to think.

Almost no one thinks it’s about the NF fight. Also, Anet already said it would have been a pre-gw1 story, so we already know.

There is no logical way to explain the idea that Evon was “set up to win”. (unless you buy the pants-on-head conspiracy theory) Humans are ALWAYS the most popular race in games & Charr are the LEAST popular race. Evon was billed as the “bad” guy. umm.. how was he staged to win? that’s a joke.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

The election was rigged anyway. I couldn’t find a bucket to cast a vote for Captain Suwash. I hear he would’ve researched the Quaggan-nado fractal and had half-priced crab cakes for everyone.

I would have totally voted Suwash. Coooo.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Drmcninja.5926

Drmcninja.5926

I personally wanted Evon to win because Abaddon! But the reactor sounds cool too, and the low waypoint costs are a win for my wallet, so I can’t really complain about kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

I would have totally voted Suwash. Coooo.

Ha ha! Quaggan agrees with you!

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: CMEPTb.8091

CMEPTb.8091

I personally wanted Evon to win because Abaddon! But the reactor sounds cool too, and the low waypoint costs are a win for my wallet, so I can’t really complain about kiel

Haha. A literal win for your hero’s “wallet”.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Midnyt.8649

Midnyt.8649

I main a Charr and I voted for Kiel.

Why? Because you should never trust a businessman in politics. EVER. The very fact that he was profit inclined meant I instantly threw my support behind Kiel.

in Cutthroat Politics

folly dragon.4126

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Reactor disaster was caused by the Inquest sending people back in time to harness the power of the gods, causing the defeat of Abaddon and an explosion that rippled through time to cause the Reactor explosion. So maybe it could happen?

You sir/maam, read my mind. However, as a disgruntled and unrepresented Asuran, my vote would have gone to Mr. Sparkles, who promised black market purchasable Golem Vehicles and a new fractal Super Adventure Boxed, featuring the boss Abbadon.

in Cutthroat Politics

TheKillerAngel.3596

um,

hardcore versus casual? There was nothing hardcore vs casual. Face it, anybody who knows guild wars lore wanted Abbadon ( unless they wanted a change of lore). Those that are not Guild Wars players don’t know about Abbadon. So of course, RNG keys, that are fairly costly even when converting gold to gems or waypoint savings. The Fractals were to cater to Hardcore ( time gated dungeon). The discount (keys or waupoints) was to appeal to casuals.

So the nitty gritty comes down to the discounts and not the fractals. Kiel won because of Waypoints, not because of Fractal and Lore.

That’s my point. Casual players were more likely to vote for Kiel (Proof is in the Facebook comments on the voting results). Hardcore players were more likely to vote for Evon.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Well part of the reason it was an unfair vote is because obviously people will feel more inclined to vote for someone they’ve played alongside them for months and months already. Kiel has been with us since Southsun and Gnashblade has just been “that guy in the trading post”.

It was set up for Ellen to win from the start. I’m not sure why they didn’t have the HUMAN research the fractal about the HUMAN GODS…. but hey, what do I know…

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Scarletdawn.2750

Scarletdawn.2750

If this was the case, then wouldn’t the hardcore players have won? They play more, which means they should have gotten more support tokens…hardcore players also would probably have deeper pools of gold than casual players, thus being able to buy support tokens. Guess you newbs didn’t really want the win :P

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Since Votes could be farmed or bought in stacks of 12 for 1gold… it was actually set up for GNASH TO WIN since the people with the most money were actually more likely to vote for Gnash, being Market Tycoons themselves …demographically speaking.

Why didn’t they?? You’ll have to ask them that.

That’s racist.

Then again I’m asuran… so Naturally I wanted to see the explanation behind the Reactor.
#teamHL2asuranversion

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Cutthroat Politics

folly dragon.4126

Once you’ve seen one rector and crazy maniacal Asuran, you’ve seen them all, my votes were unrepresented.

#TeamAsuran

a disgruntled and unrepresented Asuran

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

I would pay real money for a Quagganado Fractal.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

As a person who played 6 years of GW1 I’m kind of glad Kiel won. To me it’s a win-win situation. I’ve got a lot of backstory and lore about the gods from GW1 and as a fractal, I don’t think it would have done something like that justice. Since this is GW2 I’m curious into the lore of THIS GAME. If they would like to put stuff in about the gods and such, great but maybe at a later time when the crystal desert is open to people.

That’s also a thing. There is no CD in this game yet so the people who had never played gw1 didn’t get to experience it’s mystery. Even IF Evon won, it would show the battle over the CD but a lot of people probably would wonder why they can’t access this place yet.

I’m curious to know more about the Elder Dragons as they PRE-DATE the gods themselves. Clearly magic existed before the gods and it had to have come from somewhere. I would love to know more about that, no matter if it’s asurans or not.

So in my eyes I figured Evon was going to win anyway. So I voted for Kiel, because hey if she won I get to experience this lore, and if not I wouldn’t be disappointed because “hey, pre-gw1 lore, that’s fine”

I think it’s cool we’re getting something either way. However I wouldn’t mind knowing what the Asuran Cities looked like before they were driven top-side. If GW:EN beginning story mission was any indication. It would be cool to see.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I would pay real money for a Quagganado Fractal.

only if the objective involves hitting them with large paddles to knock them out and then throwing them at Mossman as a distraction so he doesn’t try to “buffalo bob” us
/e * plays some dueling banjos for effect *

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

Sorry going to have call bullkitten on them caring about Evon at all. If they had cared in even the slightest would have balanced the rewards and introduced Evon Gnashblade sooner so he would have been as known as Kiel. As it stands they put well liked stuff such as waypoints against heavily hated stuff like RNG keys. It was so obvious who’d win it was painful to even see ANYONE try to call it a real election.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: xerokitsune.5094

xerokitsune.5094

I voted rather evenly. It may seem wasteful but I would have been happy no matter the winner.

I would have loved to seen the insane changes to Lions Arch Evon would have wrought over the long term. His thinking resembles the Consortium, all for profit. I wager would would have seen more and more dangerous additions in the name of profit.

I liked the Asuran fractal, so Kiel wining is fine.
Now more importantly, the most influential merchant now can raise heck with Kiel undermining her plans. Why? Revenge can be worth more than a stack of gold and I doubt Evon is going to slink off after being humiliated by a mouse.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: xerokitsune.5094

xerokitsune.5094

Sorry going to have call bullkitten on them caring about Evon at all. If they had cared in even the slightest would have balanced the rewards and introduced Evon Gnashblade sooner so he would have been as known as Kiel. As it stands they put well liked stuff such as waypoints against heavily hated stuff like RNG keys. It was so obvious who’d win it was painful to even see ANYONE try to call it a real election.

Evon has been around since the game came out, staring at us as we visit the LA trading post.
While we didn’t adventure with him, Kiel was brand new. The story brought Kiel from generic nameless guard to a ship captain. It would have been odd for Evon the insanely rich merchant to join in an adventure.