How is Anet going to play off this?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Are they going to have the living story be unaffected by who wins, or do they have two story paths planned out, one if Ellen Kiel wins and the other if Evon Gnashblade wins?

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Most likely, they constructed the story/narrative so that it won’t be vastly different if either Kiel or Gnashblade won. A few dialogue changes and tadaaaaa.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

I would guess that they have made 2 short cutscenes; one for each candidate winning, as well as some minor dialogue changes. Then we’ll probably be presented with some problem that is independent of either candidate winning (possibly sewers of Rata Sum or something with Mr. E/Marjory/Kasmeer). Then, after 4 months or so (when the living story team actually builds content knowing who the winner is) we’ll get living story where the winner plays a more influential role.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I would guess that they have made 2 short cutscenes; one for each candidate winning, as well as some minor dialogue changes. Then we’ll probably be presented with some problem that is independent of either candidate winning (possibly sewers of Rata Sum or something with Mr. E/Marjory/Kasmeer). Then, after 4 months or so (when the living story team actually builds content knowing who the winner is) we’ll get living story where the winner plays a more influential role.

That sounds about right. None of the content immedietly following Cutthroat Politics will factor Evon / Kiel into the story (or factor them very minor), but then they’ll start crafting story bits utilizing the winner more at a later time, once they actually know who wins.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

It takes a few months for a councillors policies to take effect any way.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

I dont think we will see any large side effects for a while however Arenanet does have alot of room to make our choice now have dramatic impacts later on.

You see its all about lead in time. For MMOs, most long term content and story tends to be only conceptual. This means that future story content isnt set in stone until it reaches development. Anyone coming up with old paper and pencil Roleplaying campiagns had a similar situation and Arenanet can use this much in the same way.

Simply put allowing players a choice now allows you to build the future story around that decision. They dont need to come up with more than concepts for where the story will go with it. Once they know the decision, they can slot the characters involved into place in their scenario and ask themselves ‘how would this guy act in this situation?’

The trick is to show that the choices of the players lead to these outcomes. If Arenanet can do this it can be quite potent storytelling cause it creates side effects for players choices that have actual impacts and give a sense of responability.

Short answer: Yes, they can have a distinct plot path depending on which we choose because they havent fully fleshed out the plot path yet. Weither they will do this and actually effectively show that is something we still have to see.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: BiJay.9830

BiJay.9830

It takes a few months for a councillors policies to take effect any way.

And most don’t come into effect at all.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

I think they do have both results already created, so they’ll just use whichever is elected. The temporary benefit and the rotating mini-games do not require the NPCs to actually be present, so they have time to create content using the results.

Not to mention that there could always be content involving an NPC like Kiel that can be developed and put in regardless of whether she’s on the council or not (just different voice/text/model put in). For example, I don’t know whether Magnus would strip the airship away from her if she lost, so that may be used in a later storyline anyway.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I doubt they have long term scenarios for both already finished, from a financial point of view it doesn’t make sense to purposely waste time on content we’ll never see. This is why they have said they will not begin work on the new fractal till the election is decided. As someone said, it tends to take a few months for new politicians to settle in.

So what will likely happen is one living story team will start on things relating to the winner, while in the mean time we’ll be getting living story updates unrelated to LA with at best very minor influences from the election.

This is not counting the price reductions and mini game rotations, I imagine that will be fairly easy to implement quickly.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

They probably have two different routes that they can take the story, and they are letting us decide what they work on. Seems awesome to me. Infact, they should do this regularly now they have a voting system in place. Imagine a vote on Cantha or Elona :P