Living Story going downhill again

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Remz.9083

Remz.9083

Warning: This topic is feedback on the latest patch, negative feedback. If you cannot handle it, please don’t read it

With the 2 latest Living Stories I was seeing a good progress in them. They actually had fun content in them.

Sadly I can’t say the same about this living story. I’m just here to give some feedback and hope ArenaNet will look at it and consider it for their next updates. Hopefully some people also share these opinions.

1. Ellen Kiel is just plain boring. There is no fun in her. She talks with this monotone voice(sorry Voice Actor) and lets us do all the stuff(she only is there to say a few words and then off she is). Even Thareane from the Personal Story is an more interesting character.

2. This update is basicly about 3 mini games and extending the previous living story for another 2 weeks. One of these mini games is just badly balanced and no fun at all.

3. Achievements are the worst in living story so far. They are not clear to players(Daily Achievements) and one locked achievement. Also they are a grind. For a player with a fulltime job many of these are out of reach. 2500 points in Southsun is doable if you like the game. But the Crystal Breaker achievement… You don’t even get another point when you push someone off bridges with the Wind Attunement, any other skill doesn’t do enough damage to a decent player who is back in their base within 10 seconds.

4. More griding. I’m talking about the Candidate Trials. Grinding the same event for 8 times(if you make it without dying) and horrible rewards. Why the useless lockpicks? If you wanted to create a sense of getting much loot, don’t do it with worthless grey items.

5. Minigame problems
Aspect Arena: Many skills are buggy, achievements are lame, doesn’t support teamplay and again no content which you can do with friends.

Southsun Survival: Fun game! But sadly there are overpowered Karka spawned by players who die early in the game, also they can just spam traps on your character making it loose all its items and die slowly. Again, this isn’t content which you can do with friends. How awesome would it be to do this with a bunch of Guild Members?

Anyway, I’m going to get back to grinding these achievements and trying to find a decent group to complete the Candidate Trials(which I totally don’t feel like doing)..

One last thing. No offense to the developers. But it has been said many times that there are 4 teams working on the Living World. If I count correctly 4 weeks back we had the Southsun Living World with the horrible dungeons. Is the same team responsible for this Living World update? It feels kind of the same with the bad dungeon and grinding.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Personal opinion is personal opinion.

You are unlikely to enjoy every living story patch. Everyone has different tastes. What you think as downhill I see as uphill.

I have very much been enjoying the minigames and the activities sending us out into the world to do stuff.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

lol what achievements?

…just been doing regular PVE the past few days for materials like always b/c that’s much better character progress for all my alts

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Remz.9083

Remz.9083

You are unlikely to enjoy every living story patch. Everyone has different tastes. What you think as downhill I see as uphill.

I have very much been enjoying the minigames and the activities sending us out into the world to do stuff.

It’s good some people do like it. And I’m a person who at least likes a few content in a new patch, but this one has nothing interesting to be honest. It doesn’t feel like they put much work into polishing it to be honest.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I don’t really like this patch too. I was so impressed with Bazaar of the Four Winds that I was really disappointed with Cutthroat Politics and how rough the patch is with all the bugs and unnecessary content.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Has the living story ever gone uphill? It was implemented and was fun for about 3 hours before I began to become disenchanted.

I stopped doing Flame & Frost because of the Sonic Periscopes and the 5-man Molten Facility ( I don’t group).

I stopped doing Southsun because of the uninspired story (I still don’t know what happened at Southsun or why) and the spawn frequency of over-tuned mobs.

I didn’t even log on for Sky Pirates. I hate pirates. When developers can’t create interesting antagonists, they resort to pirates.

I’ve done a few things at BotFW but nothing related to any story. I’ve mostly just jumped around trying to figure out how to get into places I’m not supposed to be.

Now we have politics. Politicians don’t even like politics. Why would ANet ever think that politics would be great addition to a fantasy video game? I refuse to do any and all of the ‘Cutthroat Politics’ content. I get enough of that crap from Fox News.

So…what’s next? A Canthan Arts District in DR? A personal ‘lazy boy’ instance that will inevitably depopulate the open world. Nobody goes to DR. If content is added to DR, I will not step foot inside.

This whole ‘Living Story’ content feels like a mash-up of poor ideas with no clear direction. It feels very fragmented. Guild Wars desperately needs to return to it’s roots….Magic, Swords, Wizards, DRAGONS, etc. and leave behind all this technomechanical/steampunk/sci-fi/political/pirate fluff.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Donaga.3980

Donaga.3980

Arenanet should communicate to the player base that they cannot afford a high quality full of new stuff content every two weeks. In their latest blog post about living story content every 2 weeks, they did not made a distinction between the biweekly updates, so people expect every 2 weeks an update with quality of Bazaar of the four winds. Right now it seems to me, every 4 weeks an update, and then 2nd week of every 4 week update, a small update (Cutthroat Politics). Every update like Dragon Bash / Bazaar of the four winds is big, 2 weeks after that is released, we unfortunately get a crappy update with little content.

I think I would be more happy with something like this:
- remove living story completely,
- add every month(!) new gem story items including new weapon and armor skins
(people are playing and farming for this in the current living story format anyway)

As matter of fact, I bought guild wars 1, just about a week ago and I’ve been playing it non-stop with a friend(finished Eye of the North and Factions, currently at Ring of Fire in Prophecies and halfway through Nightfall). I’m having a blast! Seeing what expansions brought to guild wars 1, I could only dream of what expansions could bring to guild wars 2.

So third and final bulletpoint:
- put all time and resources into expansions.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

I didn’t even log on for Sky Pirates. I hate pirates. When developers can’t create interesting antagonists, they resort to pirates.

Hold up. What about this game?

http://www.gamespot.com/skies-of-arcadia/reviews/skies-of-arcadia-review-2641052/

Skies of Arcadia was an amazing RPG, with pirates.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I didn’t care too much for the second half of the Dragon Bash content. The Aetherblade Dungeon wasn’t worth the time and struggles to get through for that to be rewarding. To each their own though. So far I’m enjoying this latest batch of new content. The Aspect mini game is by far my favorite. I’ve played many games where everyone was going for objective and had some great 4v4 PvP battles.

As another said, to each their own opinion though. We won’t all like every content release. When a bad one comes along, just do your normal PvE or sPvp or WvW stuff you did before and wait 2 weeks for new stuff. It’s how I handle the content I’m not thrilled with.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

I like Kiel..

But.. Evon HAS to win!

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

4. More griding. I’m talking about the Candidate Trials. Grinding the same event for 8 times(if you make it without dying) and horrible rewards. Why the useless lockpicks? If you wanted to create a sense of getting much loot, don’t do it with worthless grey items.

I found this pretty hilarious, and at this point, very typical of anet.

“Bag of Loot” – full of worthless trash.

I’ll start getting super excited if I ever see “Bag of Trash” cause obviously anet is stationed in kittening bizarro world.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

http://www.gamespot.com/skies-of-arcadia/reviews/skies-of-arcadia-review-2641052/

I wouldn’t know. I don’t play games that feature pirates. They could even pay me to play that game and I would refuse on the sole basis of pirates.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I wouldn’t know. I don’t play games that feature pirates. They could even pay me to play that game and I would refuse on the sole basis of pirates.

Yet here you are, on the forums for a game where the hub city for the entire continent is made out of pirate ships, run by pirates, and features a Goonies tribute pirate jumping puzzle with pirate items at the end. The surrounding zones have pirate enemies and late game has pirate zombies and ghost pirate ships. You can get runes of the pirate and an entire NPC outpost is a parody of the pirates of penzance.

But…you draw the line with steam punk pirates, that look more like geek and sundry customers than actual pirates, that get around in zeppelins.

You are a confused confused individual.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

overall i like the idea of an election i think its the first living story with any REAL consequence to us the players so big + to me.

i do think aspect arena is increadibly boring and thus i wont grind the acheivments for it, but that doesnt mean it shoudl be easier anet didnt make every acheivment for every person to do thats not how its supposed to work. do the ones you like.

as a big lover of southsun survival (and an expert at it my record is 8 wins in a row) i have to agggree that the ghosts are overpowered, the trap spamming needs to stop, but at the same time the traps should be converted to marks so they can hit stationary people

but no i dont aggree that the karka are overpowered they are very easy to escape from and extremely expensive to use, i find it the most balanced ghost skill int he game, you just have to be vigilant and run from it as soon as it pops up

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

Evon will win. Isaiah Cartwright has blamed all skill balance dissent on Kiel. And now we will never know the complete story.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

My theory is that this is “throw away” content to set up a larger story line to follow. The “election” is a distraction from ANet’s actual intent (to increase BLC key demand) and the “results” will generate a conflict point that will last for months of content to come.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Marden.6294

Marden.6294

Couldn’t agree more.

I’ve never played a mini-game. I’ve never attempted a dungeon or a fractal (to be honest, I barely even know what a fractal is). I know next to nothing about GW lore and I don’t really care who is Grand Trade Commissar of the Arched Lion Zephyr Something-or-Other.

I stick to open-world and I love it immensely. Dragon Bash was great for this. This content? Not so much.

That being said….I’m happy some people are loving the current LS. I’m not one of them, but A-Net seems to be pretty good about catering to different tastes. A month down the road, I could be singing the praises of the LS. No matter what, I’m not paying a monthly fee so….yeah. I can be patient.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Aren’t you the special one…

Personally this new content is a total skip for me….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet