"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

Of course Anet usually only kills characters immediately after we meet them (former ships council guy for example) so this is unlikely to happen.

Could be worse, we could be like Joss Whedon.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: xagarelic.7950

xagarelic.7950

Of course Anet usually only kills characters immediately after we meet them (former ships council guy for example) so this is unlikely to happen.

Did in that case it was his series that get cutthroat-ed?

R.I.P Firefly

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Did in that case it was his series that get cutthroat-ed?

R.I.P Firefly

Well, he did like to cutthroat stablished and loved characters as well out of the blue… does the phrase “I’m a leaf in the wind” remind you of anything?…:)

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Would you want to?

Leman

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Omega.4950

Omega.4950

The stories would be better if it was Joss Whedon.

Order Of The Mists [OOM]
http://mists.cadimus.net

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

This is not funny. There are enough places in the world where legitimately elected leaders really are threatened with things like assassination; let’s not bring it into the video game world, please. Whether the voting was rigged or not, keep it civil.

… Except that’s also commonly used in the plots of even lighthearted videogames like this.

You know, like Caudecus’ Manor?

So really, this is just kinda overly-sanctimonious. You know what else happens in real life? People getting kidnapped. Can we please have less kidnapping in the game? /sarcasm

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Wilhelm.6894

Wilhelm.6894

Hey…..it could have been Trahearne, think about that for a second.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Low blow man…. Below the belt even…

*Goes and cries softly in the corner for a few minutes

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Could be worse, could be like George R. R. Martin.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This is not funny. There are enough places in the world where legitimately elected leaders really are threatened with things like assassination; let’s not bring it into the video game world, please. Whether the voting was rigged or not, keep it civil.

… Except that’s also commonly used in the plots of even lighthearted videogames like this.

So really, this is just kinda overly-sanctimonious. You know what else happens in real life? People getting kidnapped. Can we please have less kidnapping in the game? /sarcasm

But… Think of the children!

Anyway, they already assassinated that charr from the ships council so it’s not like that’s never been seen in GW.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

Anyway, they already assassinated that charr from the ships council so it’s not like that’s never been seen in GW.

A mostly human council…in a city that is supposed to be a melting pot of every race… ya…. Charr gets killed to add in more humans… GW1 is calling they want their human empires back.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

He is not that bad, actually. All my favourite characters are still alive by the end of book 5.
J. K. Rowling, on the other hand, killed everybody I ever loved.

Yes, it could be worse.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Midnight.7526

Midnight.7526

As title says, looking for people to help Ellen Kiel ‘step down’ and have Evon Gnashblade take his rightful place as one of the Council members.

ps. Voting was rigged – Kiel cheated!
On serious note: Anet this is fail :/. Gnashblade had so much better potential as a character.

If Gnashblade can’t even keep the TP working properly, what makes people think he could be an effective member of the Council?

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

that is all..

Attachments:

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

A mostly human council…in a city that is supposed to be a melting pot of every race… ya…. Charr gets killed to add in more humans… GW1 is calling they want their human empires back.

Its like you didn’t even pay attention. The dead charr was a representative, the person on the council who died (was assassinated) was Captain Theo Ashford, a human, and a good friend of Logan’s which is why he is the one who has Mai start the investigation.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Junkfist.1760

Junkfist.1760

We had the politics. Can we get to the cutthroat part now?

+250 +250 +250 +250

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

Seriously Martin? The title was perfect :X.

I thought the title was a bit harsh, and the new one better reflects some of the actual more RP posts in this thread.

yeah.. title was perfect. We don’t want her stepping down. We want her dead. Of course Anet usually only kills characters immediately after we meet them (former ships council guy for example) so this is unlikely to happen.

You want her dead all because of a fractal? Seems rather silly and childish to me.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

Its like you didn’t even pay attention. The dead charr was a representative, the person on the council who died (was assassinated) was Captain Theo Ashford, a human, and a good friend of Logan’s which is why he is the one who has Mai start the investigation.

Sarcasm really I am quite aware the council is pretty much all human with a few token other races thrown in. I was quite disappointed seeing them on stage the first day due to this. The Asura is even just there due to the gates in the city which is kinda sad. A human pirate city for humans! <.<

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Eldrake.1543

Eldrake.1543

Seriously Martin? The title was perfect :X.

I thought the title was a bit harsh, and the new one better reflects some of the actual more RP posts in this thread.

yeah.. title was perfect. We don’t want her stepping down. We want her dead. Of course Anet usually only kills characters immediately after we meet them (former ships council guy for example) so this is unlikely to happen.

You want her dead all because of a fractal? Seems rather silly and childish to me.

I want her dead because she’s Trahearne 2.0.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

At least the show was good even if was cut and he didn’t try to act like a choice was equal when it wasn’t. Kiel is just Trahearne 2.0 and it will be quite boring. I plan to do her stuff just for the achievements and not even bother to watch a single cutscene. Already know it will be boring and a waste of time.

Here is hoping Wildstar and Everquest next are good. As a story nut for these games you have done nothing but let me down with GW2 ingame story.

That’s assuming quiet a lot. So you aren’t even going to give it a chance?

I want her dead because she’s Trahearne 2.0.

I have heard this said over and over again and no one has offered an explanation of why. And please only comment IF you have actually done the personal story, ALL OF IT, and paid attention to it.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

(edited by Fallout.1798)

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Sarcasm really I am quite aware the council is pretty much all human with a few token other races thrown in. I was quite disappointed seeing them on stage the first day due to this. The Asura is even just there due to the gates in the city which is kinda sad. A human pirate city for humans! <.<

What was the race of the person who founded Lion’s Arch? Whose city was it before the tidal wave? What race would have been most represented in the population near Lion’s Arch when it was refounded? And which race had the most sailors, and therefor probably the most pirates, at the time Lion’s Arch was refounded?

If you think about the circumstances, you’d expect humans to represent the largest segment of LA’s population, and the council would reflect this. LA’s founding charter was to be a place where people would be accepted regardless of race – this means that the race that represents the largest proportion of the population would also likely have the largest number of people in power, simply because there’s a larger base from which suitable candidates might arise.

As it is, there’s currently 4 humans, 2 asura, a norn, and a charr on the council. Given the likely demographics as discussed above, that’s probably about what you’d expect.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Hmmm…

There is clearly a serious threat from Evon supporters towards our elected representative Kiel.

Well, I guess us Kiel supporters will just have to ‘remove’ Evon before they have a chance to ‘replace’ Kiel and then they will have no one to replace her with. You know, chop off the head of the snake…. or in this case cat….

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Pavees.7281

Pavees.7281

I wouldn’t be the one to talk if i was you guys considering that zhaitan’s final fight is infamously bad amongst the forums sooooooo you guys calling someone else’s bad writing is hilarious coming from you guys.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

I wouldn’t be the one to talk if i was you guys considering that zhaitan’s final fight is infamously bad amongst the forums sooooooo you guys calling someone else’s bad writing is hilarious coming from you guys.

I see you are not familiar with this rather common Joss Whedon meme that I was referring to. Hint: it has nothing to do with writing.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Also the mechanics of the final fight against Zhaitan have nothing to do with the writing.

Plot is separate from gameplay.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Evon can always murder Ellen and take her place.
But atm he is too busy counting the money he made
form selling boxes and kites.
Solid character….
Got his priorities right.
1st money,2nd money,3rd murd..no 3rd money
4th murder…………………………………………

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Pavees.7281

Also the mechanics of the final fight against Zhaitan have nothing to do with the writing.

Plot is separate from gameplay.

Actually the plot had a giant laser shoot a previously established powerful dragon down and don’t forget zhaitan had little intelligence to slam into the ship he was bigger then and attempt to rip it out of the sky. No he just spat undead which have been repeatedly shown to not work against the pact in a pants on head moment.

Basic animals ram into objects if it causes them pain and zhaitan ripped apart the ship when he flew by it once. It also made little sense for him to fly in front of the ship when he could of easily came from below and ripped it apart.

Again animals are smart and the dragons are smarter then animals soooooooooooooooooooooooo poor story telling to the point where you have to be blind and dumb to not wonder how this boss couldn’t do what even things like bulls could do. the actual fight was bad but a starving animal doesn’t make it where it has absolutely no intelligence and does little circles.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

I would -1 this but then I had a better idea. How about we have a vote in game to see which one is more popular?

And hire Chinese gold farmers to farm support tokens for her…
1 vote / account – Evon wouldve won easily! Burn her! :X

lol 1 vote/account it would be about 85% kiel to 15% evon i reckon…

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

look at all the mad charr and mad Evon supporters…accept your defeat gracefully.

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Pavees.7281

look at all the mad charr and mad Evon supporters…accept your defeat gracefully.

Rather egotistical aren’t we? You know being smug isn’t graceful so ya hypocrisy woo ya. Also only have 1 character i play it’s human and i don’t care for either side i only care for a good story arc.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I’m quite surprised Ellen won myself. Everything I read, it should have been Evon by a landslide. Something is fishy.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

I’m quite surprised Ellen won myself. Everything I read, it should have been Evon by a landslide. Something is fishy.

Why? It just meant the Evon supporters were louder and more excited, but fewer in number.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

If anyone would have cheated it would have been Evon, let’s face it.

Amazing how much people hate democracy when it doesn’t go their way.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Kiel is actually a physical avatar of Kormir to turn heroes away from the Abaddon Fractal so Kormir can retain her deserved godhood.

*Un*deserved godhood.

You were expecting that you yourself would become the god instead? How on earth lore wise would that work out?

Let’s compromise; Kormir gets blown to gooey bits while trying to contain the powers of a god and dies in honorable sacrifice. No one becomes a god.
She will be missed.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

I’d love to see the living story make reference to this in-game.

Considering Magnus the Bloody-Handed considers her a daughter, Gnashblade could level accusations of corruption and favouritism on the council.

And considering that Magnus and the rest of the Lionguard obviously favour Kiel, they’ll not appreciate Gnashblade’s failure to accept his defeat.

They could let players investigate the council and look for any evidence of corruption, as well as investigate Gnashblade’s connections to the Ash Legion in search of conflicts of interest within BLTC.

Or, if Gnashblade shows disrespect toward the Zephyrites’ decision, the Zephyrites could set up a rival trade company. They certainly seem to have the resources for it.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Know what else happens? War! And Pain!

Replace swords with politically correct and inoffensive statements on your antagonistic friend’s great stature!

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Michelangelo.1742

Michelangelo.1742

I truly do not care for Ellen Kiel… very very boring character. Evon on the other hand is very interesting and I would rather see him in future stories rather than Kiel

WvW Revenge Catch-up Mechanic & Contingent 1U1D!
Tidal Legion [TL] – Sea of Sorrows

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

Why? It just meant the Evon supporters were louder and more excited, but fewer in number.

I think he’s referring to the fact that all Evon’s campaign promises were good things with an awesome story and all Ellen’s were things that will make no difference and a story that will be a snooze fest.

Something is definitely fishy. But it’s really not. All the botters and grinders want cheaper WP. Duh.

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Kiel is actually a physical avatar of Kormir to turn heroes away from the Abaddon Fractal so Kormir can retain her deserved godhood.

Ahhh, so that’s why they rigged it! To try to let us forget that we should have become a god(des)! We beat Abaddon once, we beat Abaddon twice and still no godhood for us…

Kormir let us fight for her and then pushes us away and steals our godhood.
Kiel let us fight for her and then pushes us away and steals our well-deserved gold!

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lynx Raven Raide.2764

Lynx Raven Raide.2764

Gnashblade had so much better potential as a character.

I want to pick this one for a bit. How do you know he really had more potential? Except 2 cut scenes he hasn’t exactly done that much. On the other hand, Kiel has been through most of the living story stuff, so makes more sense to win and continue with the storyline

Mad Aussie Bastard

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I think he’s referring to the fact that all Evon’s campaign promises were good things with an awesome story and all Ellen’s were things that will make no difference and a story that will be a snooze fest.

Something is definitely fishy. But it’s really not. All the botters and grinders want cheaper WP. Duh.

There is nothing good about Gnashblade’s campaign. He was going to make Black Lion Keys cheaper so we could play the RNG gamble game more often. How is that good? Why do you want to support RNG gambling in the gem store? And then to top that off, he wants to dwell on something that happened in the past instead of focusing on current issues that we are facing. How is that good? Yes let’s ignore the current problems we are having so we can reflect on something that happened thousands of years ago that doesn’t matter anymore……

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

On serious note: Anet this is fail :/. Gnashblade had so much better potential as a character.

The players elected Kiel, not Anet.

That’s a naive thought. It was called CUTTHROAT politics. If you really think the winner wasn’t predetermined…

I thought it would be Evon predetermined no matter what the votes were – he’s ruthless enough to Kiel-haul Ellen if she wins.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

She’s a sketch of a video-game character with no unique or interesting qualities that nobody can possibly have any emotional investment in, not a real person.

It’s funny, I said the same about many characters people gained attachments to. Tybalt, for instance, is very much in that group.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

I voted for Kiel, she promised she would sleep with me if she won. Time is ticking!

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sephy.9830

Sephy.9830

The elections were rigged. ArenaNet decided beforehand that Kiel is going to win. Probably because they already have made content based of her. But you know what ArenaNet? You just lost a long time player with this move. There isn’t going to be a better time to uninstall GW2 from your computer. Was fun till it lasted. Tired of this crap.

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

The elections were rigged. ArenaNet decided beforehand that Kiel is going to win. Probably because they already have made content based of her. But you know what ArenaNet? You just lost a long time player with this move. There isn’t going to be a better time to uninstall GW2 from your computer. Was fun till it lasted. Tired of this crap.

Wow !!!!! Really ? You are going to uninstall a game because you didn’t get your way ? Interesting. Myself I voted for Kiel, am happy Kiel won. However would I be spitting my dummy if Evon won ? No, as this is a game. Its not real life like many on these forums seem to think.

Am looking forward to any new content that ANet release and I actually appreciate what they do for us. Name another game where they release content every 2 weeks. It may not always be to your liking, but hey thats how life is. Just enjoy the game.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

You aren’t the brightest if you thought that way. In my opinion Anet wanted Evon to win, which is why they’ve placed the abaddon fractal there. Cheaper keys = more people spending money on the gem store.

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sephy.9830

Sephy.9830

You aren’t the brightest if you thought that way. In my opinion Anet wanted Evon to win, which is why they’ve placed the abaddon fractal there. Cheaper keys = more people spending money on the gem store.

This isn’t my first post. The real reason (Which was talked about there). Why it’s time to leave. Is because, people are stupid. For voting Kiel. And you wanna know why they did so? Actual quote from many Kiel voters “Kiel is good. Good always wins bad.” After that sentence, I was like “What!? Are you kids serious… You just lost a FoTM map about Gods, do you even understand that?” And it turns out most didn’t even know what rewards each side gives you. After such disappointment & stupidity. I decided to leave this community behind & make my time more valuable.

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Not only is Ellen Kiel the rightful winner of the vote, she is the better person to win the vote. She’s also far more relatable to me because of her values. Gnashblade’s selfishness and conceit is not what I’m about. Thus, not a good representative of me.

The fact that people voted for Evon, only for the Fractal, shows a high level of selfishness. Life isn’t always about asking “What’s in it for me?” With something as trivial and low risk as this vote, you still couldn’t pick a person for having virtues?

I’m certainly going to save my stacking of badges for Kiel as I’m going to use them often. Love Live Kiel!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

"Replacing" Ellen Kiel

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Arvizal.8436

Arvizal.8436

My friends and I were all voting for Evon. (shrug) ¯\(?)/¯ The fall of Abbadon seemed way cooler imho. Pretty lame how Elen won :/ Think about it! A god falling or something that happens IRL, a reactor blew up. I honestly don’t care about the reactor so much in comparison to the fall of Abbadon. Unless they got some epic story for why the reactory blew up I won’t really care about that fractal at all. I have a friend who is getting the game soon, very soon, and he just missed his voting chance, and when I logged on today when I was talking to him, we got so surprised that Elen Kiel won! :S (in a bad way) So, count me in OP! Anyway, for all we know Anet might have something up their sleeve for… eliminating Elen Kiel. May not be likely, but all I can do is wait and hope. Also, im at lvl 80 and waypoint prices aren’t affecting me much if at all. I’m guessing many Keil supporters just way pointed more than they needed to. or maybe… >:)

Thief main since launch! – Ded Pixel – Maguuma – [SAS]