Side with the richest supporter(s) wins?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I’m really enjoying this patch. My only grief though, is that you can buy the support tokens. How does that in anyway get an accurate representation on who the players want for the winner?

What’s stopping a filth rich player, like the ones who know how to control the TP, from getting a doubling banner and buying a thousand gold worth of tokens? They can swing the election at the last minute for simply the “lolz”.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Welcome to pirate elections. It’s not meant to be fair, you can use (almost) any and all dirty tricks to ensure your candidate wins (shame I can’t just assassinate that oversized cat).

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Doubling banner?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

As a person with a vested interest in cheaper BL keys, you bet I’m going to rig this election.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Kithros.7634

Kithros.7634

Do you really think that someone is going to dump 10000g, just for a very small chance of influencing the election (10000g will be pretty small compared to the combined playerbase of every server combined) – and then even if they did change the outcome, they almost certainly won’t buy that many keys that the discount would be worth more than the money they spent.

While I agree that in theory it’s possible for the rich people to rig the election.. I don’t think it would be in their best interests at all because they would have to spend way too much to have a meaningful impact (have you seen how commonly the tokens drop? Multiply that by the number of players that play the game and..), and the discount almost certainly won’t be that big relatively speaking.

In addition as far as I know, you also get support for the candidates by representing them (they haven’t made the specifics of how it works clear though) – if you just buy thousands and thousands of buttons, you still won’t be able to actually use them all.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

you do know that you can get support tickets from the normal mobs in the world. You do not have to buy any of them…. trust me i have already gotten about 50 of those tickets just by playing the game normally.

play southsun survival and you will automatically get 2 tickets at the end

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I spent 7G yesterday on tokens … then I realized how fast you can farm them.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Stinson.5972

Stinson.5972

So OP believes a small group of people who contribute little of social value and gain power influence solely by moving money around have an outsized influence on the political process? Sounds familiar.

At least the worst they can do is elect Ellen Kiel, rather than compel the Captain’s Council to extend them no-interest loans of gold to cover their speculating in those terrible condos in Bloodtide Coast. Just say no to mortgage bundles secured by properties where risen live, kids.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Avatara.1042

So OP believes a small group of people who contribute little of social value and gain power influence solely by moving money around have an outsized influence on the political process? Sounds familiar.

At least the worst they can do is elect Ellen Kiel, rather than compel the Captain’s Council to extend them no-interest loans of gold to cover their speculating in those terrible condos in Bloodtide Coast. Just say no to mortgage bundles secured by properties where risen live, kids.

Lol…subtle…

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

Lion’s Arch is run by ex-pirates. Pirates tend to like plunder. Of course people with money will have an advantage. It’s the nature of politics with ex-pirates. It wouldn’t surprise me if both candidates are cheating somehow and that it’ll be part of a future storyline.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt people will be throwing 1000s of gold just into tokens to vote for this. They drop from every enemy and you get lots of them just from doing the mini games. I can’t think of any reason to actually buy support tokens unless you just want to vote and don’t have time/want to play the game. Being able to buy them is a convenience but it’s far from necessary, and it definitely isn’t the smartest way to obtain the tokens.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

Heh… Well Anet certainly did a great job at making this as much like a real election as possible. Now we just need propaganda from our favorite political news source to post on our Facebooks.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Heh… Well Anet certainly did a great job at making this as much like a real election as possible. Now we just need propaganda from our favorite political news source to post on our Facebooks.

Here you go:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/cutthroat/I-need-the-propaganda

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Yeah, rigging elections with money is exactly how real life politics works.
So props to Anet for realism, here.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

I don’t see the problem here.

Attachments:

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

get over it thats how real politics works too

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Many many <3s for that.

When Abaddon comes to feast on our eyes, I’ll ask him to spare one of yours.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

It’s not my screenshot, unfortunately.

(I’m voting for Ellen, deal with it)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

It’s not my screenshot, unfortunately.

(I’m voting for Ellen, deal with it)

Someone’s eyes are going away soon >.>

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I… just… how…. what?

Gold out of the economy is gold out of the economy I guess.

This election is all over the place, Kiel is a human female (most popular race/gender combo) that was prominently featured in recent content and has also been portrayed as your typical hero (the path of least resistance favour her). Evon is seen to represent RNG in the store and is portrayed as a shady cartoon villain. He had minimal involvement in the game until the election so he’s unfamiliar and he’s a male charr (probably more popular than a female charr but less popular than a female human). Superficially, Kiel wins this one.

The Abaddon fractal seems to have pulled more passionate support from vocal players, the appeal of a clash between gods seems to be greater than an asuran experiment gone wrong. Abaddon has nostalgia value and plays to lore that GW1 players are familair with. Asura in general are less popular and the Thaumanova Reactor has less mystery because many of us visit it every day. Superficially this probably goes to Evon, but it’s the most subjective one.

Waypoints are a core part of the game and an unknown discount is better than no discount. Black Lion Keys cater to a niche group (although recent changes make them prominent in every patch in the future, they are still a gem item and future value of cheaper keys is probably considerable). We don’t know how much the cheaper keys will save us both in terms of how much individuals may spend in the store to gamble on weapons and in terms of how much increasing the pool of keys increases the pool of weapon skins on the TP. Even if the reality was the majority of players would save between 20-40g by having cheaper keys over cheaper waypoints, there is no way to establish that now, it requires speculation (even if it is strongly supported) and the value of cheaper WPs is certain. You might not ever buy a key, everyone who plays in the four weeks after the election will use a WP. The total amount you spend on WPs in a month is likely minimal. The total amount of money, time and effort you spend attempting to acquire monthly skins is probably far greater. Most players won’t make this connection and this one will likely go to Kiel.

Then it gets even messier when we factor in multiple votes. Who will the grind happy people vote for? Who will the TP flipping people buy votes for? Who will the CoF farmers vote for? The richest people in the game (and the ones who may choose to try and buy the election) will likely vote for Evon. Turning gold into gems and then selling popular skins from tickets could be a viable medium-high end market, especially with a key discount. A gold investment over the next two weeks could pay off big for them in the future. Grinders will probably also choose to vote for Evon. Skin acquisition appeals to these people and reduction in key costs lessens the grind they have to do to acquire more keys and more chances for chests.

The average “Alliance” mentality (Alliance was by far the most popular faction in WoW) probably means the majority of casual players will be voting for Kiel. She’s “attractive”, familair and portrayed as a hero. It all comes down to how many people will take the path of least resistance and how much will they play to do so. Take note that the Living Story achievements for this event were designed in a way which herds players into doing some kind of voting activity, essentially designing it so that players doing the Living Story achievements will be voting multiple times. Rather than allowing the mass of casuals to vote once or twice until they are bored and letting apathy take over, the majority of people will be attempting multiple activities and acquiring multiple votes for whichever side they represent. This creates a situation where the casuals will vote a lot and the competition to buy the election is much harder.

It’s impossible to predict the election, there are too many variables. In that sense ArenaNet has created a very successful in game election. Players care about the results as both sides have offered things that appeal to players in some way or another. It’s probably the most involving Living Story event so far, so it’s been fairly successful on that level (although it’s appeal is not story content, but rather the rewards and influence on fractal design rather than the majority of people caring about the characters and what’s good for Lion’s Arch and the story itself). The election isn’t balanced, I doubt the end result will be close to 50/50, the candidates appeal to wideley different demographics. What we don’t know yet is which of these demographics represents the most votes.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Xiao Haishou.3691

Xiao Haishou.3691

I’m pretty sure Evon is going to win. People are buying his votes like that picture of that guy with 21k votes from spending 2k gold (It might be 42k votes with the banner? I dunno, I didn’t count them personally).
However, I would prefer Kiel to win because I personally find Southsun Survival kinda boring and Aspect Arena is much more fun. Also, I don’t care about BL Keys, and I don’t get why they are such a big deal. Everytime some new RNG skin comes out, I see a ton of griefing posts in the forums about how they spent like $100 and didn’t get a ticket.
However, reduced waypoint costs benefit everyone because everyone uses waypoints.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

You don’t understand what is this about, Anet wants you to dump your gold for useless votes, moa racing, I see where it’s going.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

41/160 slots used. That’s not too legit now is it?

Do not be discouraged by this false image supporters of Kiel! It’s just the charr and his intrigue!