This seems backwards

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: xerokitsune.5094

xerokitsune.5094

Why does a char care about gods? Why does the human want to care about technical research way above her ability to comprehend?

It would seem to make more sense for Evanto be interested in the reactor.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Why does a char care about gods? Why does the human want to care about technical research way above her ability to comprehend?

He doesn’t. He’s a typical politician; he’s a populist. He found a cause the people supported and he latched himself to it to ensure he gets a bunch of cheap votes.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The Thaumanova Reactor explosion (and the fallout caused by it) does not affect only the Asura.

Steam creatures? Tied to the Thaumanova Reactor.
Mass portaling of random creatures to other places of the world (or even through worlds)? Tied to the Thaumanova Reactor.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

On the subject of Evon, one of the Reds (Colin I think?) implied Evon may have religious interests in the 6 Gods.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Steam creatures? Tied to the Thaumanova Reactor

Actually, they’re tied to something else…

They were created by the Asura player character if they picked the infinity ball story arc… or, more precisely – their evil alternate universe self, who created the army of steam golems in order to (succesfully) conquer tyria, and who then tries mobilise an invasion of “our” tyria for an encore… but fails upon discovering that the only person who can stand against them is… themself.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Esplen.3940

Steam creatures? Tied to the Thaumanova Reactor

Actually, they’re tied to something else…

They were created by the Asura player character if they picked the infinity ball story arc… or, more precisely – their evil alternate universe self, who created the army of steam golems in order to (succesfully) conquer tyria, and who then tries mobilise an invasion of “our” tyria for an encore… but fails upon discovering that the only person who can stand against them is… themself.

While that is true, the reason for their existence (out of the storyline quest) in the open-world (namely in the Shiverpeaks) is due to the reactor explosion.

They were created by the Asura PC, but they’re in the Shiverpeaks because of Thaumanova.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

Why does the human want to care about technical research way above her ability to comprehend?

This one is kinda easy. Remember her promise? She would cut waypoints price for 4 weeks. Who you think controls em? Azura. She has no wealth or power to make such promises. So she made a deal with Azuras. She would research their problem (Thaumanova reactor), and they would cut prices, so she would have smth to offer. Quite easy.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

The Charr were originally beaten back because the 5 human gods gave magic to the Humans. At that time the Charr were at such a disadvantage that they went in search of their own gods. They looked to the titans, which offered magic to them in exchange for worship. The Legion who got magic was the flame legion. The Titans were proven to be false gods, so the Flame legion looked to the destroyers who were also prove to be false gods. The Flame legion did a lot of bad things to the other legions out of there position of superiority and are now the enemy of the rest of the Legions.

Evon could be flame legion looking for yet another god, but I always thought he was Ash Legion. The latest attempt of the Flame legion to get a god was the attempts of Baelfire, so they are still trying to get a god of their own.

Anyway lore link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Legion
Edit: Having read Sergoros post, it doesn’t seem backwards, it seems to fit.
Edit: 5 gods, 6th came later.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

This thread got my curiosity spiked. I want to know more about the Thaumanova reactor, but I also want to see the fall of Abaddon… I don’t know who I should vote for anymore.
Curses, ANet! Why are you doing this to us? How am I supposed to pick only one?

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

The Charr were originally beaten back because the 5 human gods gave magic to the Humans. At that time the Charr were at such a disadvantage that they went in search of their own gods. They looked to the titans, which offered magic to them in exchange for worship. The Legion who got magic was the flame legion. The Titans were proven to be false gods, so the Flame legion looked to the destroyers who were also prove to be false gods. The Flame legion did a lot of bad things to the other legions out of there position of superiority and are now the enemy of the rest of the Legions.

Evon could be flame legion looking for yet another god, but I always thought he was Ash Legion. The latest attempt of the Flame legion to get a god was the attempts of Baelfire, so they are still trying to get a god of their own.

I don’t believe they ever, Ever looked into destroyers. I don’t think he’s looking for more gods to worship etc (the Charr have pretty much sworn off worship, and rely on iron, not false gods), but quite the opposite. Their former gods, the Titans, were minions of Abbadon. Abbadon’s fall could be very interesting to some of a race who were once ruled by minions of Abbadon.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

I don’t believe they ever, Ever looked into destroyers. I don’t think he’s looking for more gods to worship etc (the Charr have pretty much sworn off worship, and rely on iron, not false gods), but quite the opposite. Their former gods, the Titans, were minions of Abbadon. Abbadon’s fall could be very interesting to some of a race who were once ruled by minions of Abbadon.

The entire legion of charr called the Flame Legion would like to have a word with you about their god.

I suggest not opening the door.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

[snipped for shortness]

The entire legion of charr called the Flame Legion would like to have a word with you about their god.

I suggest not opening the door.

The Flame Legion can worship whoever they want, they are not representative of the Charr as a whole. We all know it because their nameplates are red. :P On a more serious note, they don’t yet actually have Baelfire as a god, he simply wants to become a god…the rest of us simply want to kill him.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I would have just assumed that Evon had strong financial backers who were interested in the fall of Abaddon and the gods themselves. If he has personal reasons for continuing this research, however that makes him even more intriguing in my mind. Maybe he’s an agent of the Flame legion? Or what if he has another plan entirely? Or maybe he is odd and enjoys old human lore. His interest in this project sounds much more fun than the alternative.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Tower Guard.5263

I’m just saying that the only Charr who have an interested in gods are the Flame legion. As the rest of the Legions have sworn of the need for gods. As the famous quote goes. “Charr need no gods.”

In the end it’s all up to Anet and which direction they want to take this. The Lore elements are there, but in the end they decide what is going to happen. This living story could build in to an expansion into the Charr homelands. But that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Esplen.3940

The charr original homelands are slightly north of Ascalon. There are already establishments there, unless it’s super far north.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

They were created by the Asura PC, but they’re in the Shiverpeaks because of Thaumanova.

What’s the source on this? The wiki doesn’t list any connections between the two and I’d like to verify this info.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Since there’s a couple things wrong here, I’m gonna adress them with no particular quoting.

Abaddon gave magic to everyone, not just humans. The Searing occured over a thousand years later. The Charr did indeed attempt to worship Destrouyers to a (predictably) bad end.

As to the particular reasons to why each candidate has their respective fractal…

Evon is presumed to be Mr. E from Dragon Bash. Marjory remarks that Mr. E sends her what she needs before she knows she needs it. Worshipping a certain deity associated with secrets would definitely help with that. If Evon’s interest was purely in the gods, I’m sure there’s better things to research than the Fall. The arrival of the gods on Tyria, for one. Faith in Abaddon is a seller’s market nowadays, and you know what that means to a shrewd businessman.

On the other hand, we have Ellen Kiel who offers cheaper waypoints. The price of waypoints is determined by the Arcane Council. The Arcane council cannot agree on anything, resulting in the Inquest representative always being the tie-breaker. Yeah, do the math.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

Evon is presumed to be Mr. E from Dragon Bash.

I don’t believe it is accurate to say he is “presumed to be Mr. E”. Its a bit of conjecture here on the forums. I hope its right, personally, as I think it’d be very cool. But its hardly a widespread assumption.

On the other hand, we have Ellen Kiel who offers cheaper waypoints. The price of waypoints is determined by the Arcane Council. The Arcane council cannot agree on anything, resulting in the Inquest representative always being the tie-breaker. Yeah, do the math.

This is an interesting point. I still think there’s a possibility there is no lore reason behind it, just the devs wanting to give Ellen a discount to offer in her campaign. However, if there is lore behind this, and its meant to be thought more deeply about, then this implies that Ellen somehow has the Inquest backing her. Which is weird, especially considering their involvement in the Aetherblades.

What’s the view of the Inquest in Lion’s Arch? And, for those who actually completed the Aetherblade content, was it stated in-game that the Inquest was involved with the Aetherblades? Or was it just some asura who had Inquest ties at one point in their lives, but weren’t shown to be acting as Inquest agents while with the Aetherblades?

Basically, I am wondering what Kiel’s view of the Inquest could be and if she could honestly not know just how bad they are or what they’ve been involved in lately. If the answer is that she could, then she’s being had. If the answer is no… Well. Ellen Kiel just got more interesting.

What’s the source on this? The wiki doesn’t list any connections between the two and I’d like to verify this info.

Its conjecture, but apparently the infinity ball storyline for the asura personal story involves meeting an alternate version of yourself who took over his/her Tyria by inventing and using those steam machine golem creatures. So we’re assuming that the ones pulled here were pulled from that reality. Thus, they’re created by the Asura PC from an evil alternate reality. *cough*SeaOfSorrows*cough*.

(To my friends in SoS, I kid, I kid.)

(edited by Alleluia.1320)

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

And still she offers em. So no other way, other, than approval of council. So, I guess, Inquest is behind Kiel now.

Guess, i was to late

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

GoddessHrist.8472

Its conjecture, but apparently the infinity ball storyline for the asura personal story involves meeting an alternate version of yourself who took over his/her Tyria by inventing and using those steam machine golem creatures. So we’re assuming that the ones pulled here were pulled from that reality. Thus, they’re created by the Asura PC from an evil alternate reality. *cough*SeaOfSorrows*cough*.

Yes, I’ve played that personal story (one of my favorite), but I was questioning the link between the Shiverpeak steam creatures and Thaumanova (maybe the italics aren’t that noticeable). If I remember correctly, the Shiverpeak steam creatures spawn from Steam Portals, not chaos energy. If there is a link, I’d like to know where to find it.

(edited by GoddessHrist.8472)

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Abaddon was behind the titans who were the original charr gods in GW1. Abaddon is one of the most significant characters in GW history, before they retconned in the Elder Dragons, Abaddon was basically the mastermind behind everything (it was kinda lame how it usually came down to “Abaddon did it”).

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Esplen.3940

Yes, I’ve played that personal story (one of my favorite), but I was questioning the link between the Shiverpeak steam creatures and Thaumanova (maybe the italics aren’t that noticeable). If I remember correctly, the Shiverpeak steam creatures spawn from Steam Portals, not chaos energy. If there is a link, I’d like to know where to find it.

The only future that we know of (slash alternate reality) where there are Steam Creatures is the one that occurs from that personal storyline. The Thaumanova Reactor creates rips in the space and time fabric (slash continuum). Unless the Steam Creatures are coming from multitudes of futures where they took over and are getting sent back to take over our reality (through some crazy insane inventions), then the most reasonable link would be the Thaumanova Reactor. Also, the Thaumanova reactor didn’t affect just Metrica Province. (See: Jumping Puzzle in Ascalon).

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

What’s the view of the Inquest in Lion’s Arch? And, for those who actually completed the Aetherblade content, was it stated in-game that the Inquest was involved with the Aetherblades? Or was it just some asura who had Inquest ties at one point in their lives, but weren’t shown to be acting as Inquest agents while with the Aetherblades?

Stated in-game? The Inquest are clearly involved with the Aetherblades, they fight alongside them and a lot of their technology is present in their base. We see this in-game, it doesn’t need to be written on a sign somewhere. Occam’s razor says if it dresses like Inquest, quacks like Inquest and in general is identical in every discernable way to Inquest, it’s probably Inquest.

As for Kiel’s ties with the Inquest, if the same speculative thread that states Evon is Mr. E is followed, there’s a possibility she’s actually Scarlet. She seems surprisingly versed with Inquest technology during AR, she doesn’t participate in any of the actual combat and she seems very enthusiastic to leave no survivors aboard the escaping airship. Hell, she could even be the

Consider also that the candidates base their promised Fractal research on using it to further their own agenda as well. Kiel wants to help her Inquest buddies figure out what exactly went wrong at Thaumanova so that the important research conducted there may be finished. Evon wants to research the Fall of Abaddon because it may lead to a way of eventually freeing him.

Think about it, the dark god-worshipping charr and the hero who orchestrated the very crisis(es?) she prevented both vying for a means to expand their influence and resources. If there is indeed a choice to be made, it’ll both outcomes will probably be fairly similar (we’re not expecting cantha vs elona to come out of this, for example), e.g. we, the heroes, and the civilians we so valiantly fight for dun goofed and elected a bad guy into a seat of power. Sure, the details of how/why we are at that point considered boned will be different, but in general this allows other storytelling to be developed fairly independently (4 teams, after all).

Colin also mentioned that there is a grand master plan for how all the living story episodes so far (and some of those yet to come) will wrap up in a really neat bow. Can you imagine a bow more neat and all-up-wrapping than this? Kiel was the nemesis all along, Gnashblade seeks to further the fallen god’s cause. One way or the other, we’d be heading for disaster and we’ll have to undo the damage we inadvertently caused (as Tyrian heroes are wont to do), all themed to whichever choice wins.

This is all wild and (for the most part) baseless speculation, however there are just enough tidbits that make it, for the Mythbuster enthusiasts lurking in the audience, plausible. It would also make for one hell of a story, so that’s where my chips are riding.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

GoddessHrist.8472

The only future that we know of (slash alternate reality) where there are Steam Creatures is the one that occurs from that personal storyline. The Thaumanova Reactor creates rips in the space and time fabric (slash continuum). Unless the Steam Creatures are coming from multitudes of futures where they took over and are getting sent back to take over our reality (through some crazy insane inventions), then the most reasonable link would be the Thaumanova Reactor. Also, the Thaumanova reactor didn’t affect just Metrica Province. (See: Jumping Puzzle in Ascalon).

So it is fully speculation. Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

700 gold gets my vote.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Charr were tricked by Abaddon to cause the Cataclysm while they were looking for gods. Charr are prideful people and they were tricked (and it had long lasting consequences, stablishing the shaman caste as rulers) by someone that has been destroyed, so the closest to strike back they could get is recreating his fall through the fractals

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I believe its stated by some NPC that the reason the ascalon jumping puzzle suffered the effects of the Thaumanova Explosion was because the crystals being used to power the reactor (or at least being used in some way inside the reactor, can’t remember if it was power or what specifically) were taken from that area in Ascalon originally. Somehow the energy fed through the crystals at the reactor when it exploded and back to their original source, causing fluctuations there as well.

So I wouldn’t really take that particular instance of the puzzle being effected as evidence that the explosion could affect other areas like, for example, the shiverpeaks. Unless crystals were mined from there as well.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Tower Guard.5263

It would also make for one hell of a story, so that’s where my chips are riding.

I agree. In the end all the pieces are here, Anet just need to use them. If it’s going to be a shallow fluff story, I’m so going to rage. They have potential for something Epic.

This seems backwards

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: jfeez.8209

jfeez.8209

What if, in another alternate reality, abaddon was not defeated. What if the investigation leads to a story arch for his return?