Why the Abaddon Fractal is Irrelevant

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

I actually don’t really like Fractals all that much……and Abaddon would be THE thing to get me to play. Another asura related thing is just going to turn me off it even more.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

I actually don’t really like Fractals all that much……and Abaddon would be THE thing to get me to play. Another asura related thing is just going to turn me off it even more.

I am exactly the opposite, if there’s a chance that we finally get to see what caused the Thaumanova incident (clue: it wasn’t draconic energy or everything popping out of the portals would be a dragon minion … because that’s what exposure to draconic energy does to most living things) then I’d be very keen to start doing fractals. For me the Thaumanova Reactor, far from being an Inquest snoozefest is actually a fascinating opportunity to explore the lore. In fact I’m of the opinion that the Inquest are somehow tapping into primordial magic (ie. the powerful stuff that was originally gifted by Abaddon) which they can manage in small quantities (there appears to be a stable thaumic reactor in the “Thaumacore Inquiry Center” in Brisban Wildlands) but when they tried it on a larger scale … the world’s fabric was torn apart. The ramifications of that are HUGE. Though they might also be tapping into the Mists … which has a whole different set of alarm bells attached to it.

The key thing here is that there is something to be learned from a Thaumanova fractal. I can’t see how an Abaddon fractal would advance the lore, it might answer a few questions and fill in a few blanks but I don’t see any potential for new information to be gleaned from it. Yes it’d be cool to see a sea turn into a desert, to see the Margonites … but this is all stuff that we know about. It would be cool, yes but I don’t think that it has the potential to add to the story we’re playing now.

Besides which, human gods … pfft!

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

(edited by binidj.5734)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Serendipity.8326

Serendipity.8326

It’s just a fractal. How many current fractals actually tell a meaningful story? Most likely it will be another boring boss fight that people will hate if it takes longer than 15-20 minutes to complete. And yes this applies to the Thaumanova Reactor as well. People are just looking too much into it, expecting a huge story dungeon.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

It’s just a fractal. How many current fractals actually tell a meaningful story? Most likely it will be another boring boss fight that people will hate if it takes longer than 15-20 minutes to complete. And yes this applies to the Thaumanova Reactor as well. People are just looking too much into it, expecting a huge story dungeon.

Anet is reading the posts and taking suggestion. So people are not expecting to much from the reactor. In Fact what they expect will be a effect outside the fractal.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Gods are probably better foes then dragons, well they cant be worse anyway.

in Cutthroat Politics

Onshidesigns.1069

Gods are probably better foes then dragons, well they cant be worse anyway.

No player will ever get to kill a God.

in Cutthroat Politics

aspirine.6852

Well we didnt kill them in gw1, and that was fine by me.

in Cutthroat Politics

Onshidesigns.1069

Well we didnt kill them in gw1, and that was fine by me.

A NPC somehow killed a God and became a God her self. This is poor writing.

in Cutthroat Politics

aspirine.6852

Well yeah that was pretty bad, and not to say annoying. All she did was tag along and boss you around.
Still gods > asura experiment gone wrong for the 100th time. imo.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

I’d rather not see any gods make it into the game at all because if a god can be beat by a ragtag crew of 5 players on a daily basis, they sure aint that godlike.

Uhh you do realize that we beat Abaddon already right?

Oh yea and Zhaitan as well.

Yes I know that we beat Abaddon in GW1, it doesn’t change anything I said tho: If one of the most powerful entities in all of tyria can be stomped by anyone, it takes away quite abit of the “epicness” of it all.

And Zhaitan, while powerful, was not a god but an Elder Dragon.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

Gods are so redundent in stories anyways. If Anet wants to truly innovate fantasy stories, then we should give them that option with the reactor fractal. Otherwise it’ll be the same stuff we’ve been told throughout our history… How boring…

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

1. There’s a asura narrating the fractals. If we get the reactor, she will just freak out like in the uncategorized fratcal, and won’t believe what she is seeing. It’s a fractal, maybe it’s entirely different than what reality was.

2. I’d like to see the egoistic asura race witness what real power is.

3. Fall of Abaddon.. can only be epic.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

This is not an event that happened in GW1…

You will only learn SMALL details that lead up to the GW dungeon. Nothing will be relevant to the current lore.

Excuse me but what? Have you looked at a map recently? Seen anyone or anything in Tyria that uses magic? Your definition of not relevant seems to be very exact, but only on opposite day.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Since the reactor is still present and since the Asura have technology designed around recording and retrieving data, why would we need a fractal to find out what happened at the reactor?

The Fall of Abaddon makes sense as a Fractal, since those are designed around historical events of the distant past. The reactor is easily something that we could be looking into right now as a dungeon.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Besides which, human gods … pfft!

I’m gonna laugh so hard if the reactor blew because they were trying to harness the power of the gods..

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Developers need to concentrate on developing new lore that has a impact on the present.

Yes, they could even call it the “Living Story!”

But to be serious, Ellen seems nice enough and I actually like asura and the EDs quite a lot, but I would rather see what happened to Abaddon.

I find him an interesting character; he was very imperfect, rather than black and white. Which is a running theme with the gods, but Abaddon especially so. It would also mean a lot of new content from an artistic standpoint. Even if they did just drain and modify the temple from the Straits, it would almost certainly require new character models (I do wonder if they might reuse this statue as his model: http://i.imgur.com/3c6YDYw.jpg, or make something new), and give some insight into aspects of the lore I have personally been wondering about.

Plus, it’s not just GW1 lore, it’s GW2 lore as well – they are not somehow mutually exclusive, and it was stated that it was the original fall that happened a thousand years prior to the first game. All Fractals are pieces of the past. Urban Battleground is an alternate version of something that happened during GW1 (though we didn’t get to really witness it ourselves) and it’s a great fractal for the Charr.

That, and it would also help to tie GW1 and GW2 together a little better.