Dragon Bash - Bashing New Players

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Are you trying to say that us “elite” players shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy content from low end maps? I think that aside from the other people on the map griefing you with name calling, you’re also being rude to suggest that we not play those maps.

Please realize that having other down-leveled players in the area can actually help make Heart clearing faster. All you need to do is tag the enemy a few times, and you get credit for the kill, and for the Heart quest. If other people are clearing mobs, follow them and join in on the fun. But if you miss out on an enemy, it’s not the end of the world since they do respawn.

Why is it that players like you always have to pull stuff from your kitten when the op never stated it? Not one time did op state that others should leave the map. Might you reread his/her post again.. The Op isn’t being rude, but I find that you are.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

No one hinders new players. Resources within the game are never permanently destroyed once killed. They respawn.

I sense a couple of mistakes you guys are making. If you follow a group that’s killing things before you can get to them, don’t follow them if you can’t keep up. Go in the opposite direction and take out mobs. Also, if you just stand there, and allow others to kill the enemy (without making a single effort to “tag” it), then the fault lies in the player’s actions. This is fixed by teaching the new player what “tagging” means.

Keep in mind that every Heart has a different objective. You’re not stuck with just killing a single type of monster for credit. Some have multiple ways to complete the Heart quest.

Seriously, if the starter maps are so fun for high level characters where were they before Dragon Bash?

By killing mobs in mass amounts and quickly they are making the game much harder for new players to also get kills that award things such as exp, loot, and hey guess what dragon coffers for them too.

We are not talking simply about hearts. Low level players should be able to farm as well.

Please read my posts completely because I have already discussed the spawning and tagging issues that are affected by this as well.

Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. It is evident that high level players are trashing the low level maps simply for coffers. I have been playing for a while and I know how tagging and hearts work. I have seen this flood of high level characters in low level areas affect low level/new players in a negative way in pretty much all aspects of the PvE game.

I’m guessing you don’t understand how the game mechanics work. When a monster is killed, they respawn after a short time. They’re not dead permanently.

The best way to go about this is to teach the new player how to attack the enemy to “tag” it. Consider using a Ranged type weapon if they are too slow to get into Melee range.

If the players in the map are killing things too quickly, then DO NOT FOLLOW THEM. Go in the opposite direction, meaning away from the group. This isn’t just for higher level “elite” players. You can have a zerg of low level players, their combined attacks and AOE can still take out enemies fast.

Going back to completing Hearts. Not all have requirements to just kill things. It’s good to read what each Heart quest requirement is, and do something other than killing stuff.

This isn’t wow.. There is no tagging in this game. Anyone can come up and hit a mob and along come another and hit the same mob and both get drops and xp from it.. All that tagging bs was left in wow.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

I politely asked in /map if some of the higher level players would mind if we could use the area we were in for a short bit
…..
We were farming to get some coffers.

your complaint is other players were farming so you couldn’t farm , because the hearts you mentioned all have solutions, (most non combat) that wouldn’t be available to higher level players unless they were also doing the heart, the rest of whats said seems to be you trying to justify your complaint.

calling players inconsiderate because they don’t bend to your desire of how they should play their game and ruin their experience for your benefit… yeah they’re the inconsiderate ones

number of times you mentioned coffers 15
number of times you mentioned leveling 1

this isn’t about leveling players at all…

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Gildan Bladeborn.2198

Gildan Bladeborn.2198

If I was a low level player looking to maybe farm some coffers and tricked out 80s were 1-shot ganking everything in sight before I could do anything about it, I suppose I might be annoyed.

This is an academic problem for me of course because I HAVE nothing but tricked out 80s, all of whom have full map completion, so I can quite easily call shenanigans on the bit about the influx of those 80s making map completion unworkable: there is only ONE heart in the ENTIRE GAME that has only one possible way to complete it (the stealth-based heart out in Blazeridge Steppes), and simply killing mobs in the heart radius is generally only one of a WIDE variety of ways to finish hearts. The bandit caves? Retrieve the stolen farm goods, and lo, heart completion you shall receive.

And us 80s frequent lower level zones all the time – in some cases you pretty much HAVE to, if you want to complete certain daily categories; on a day where say… aquatic killer and krytan slayer both come up, expect to see a bunch of max-level characters running around 1-2 shotting stuff in Queensdale in the lake. Meta-event boss spawn windows also bring very large influxes of higher level players to Queensdale, Wayfarer’s Foothills, and Metrica Province whenever the timer says the world boss is about to show up, and that’s been going on loooooong before this event started.

Ceia Mirschail is my mesmer, and I am one of [SLVR]’s overachievers.
Ehmry Bay for life!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

There are no 80s in low level zones. 80s are downscaled to about two level above the area. Traits and armor is their only advantage.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

That’s a ridiculous and very rude request first of all. Second of all I have a low lvl character that I used to farm in that area on the 1st and 2nd day of the event and had no trouble at all. In fact, it was a great way to lvl up. Lastly, if you were in a party with your friend you should have had an advantage over other players anyway if you properly coordinated.

Why is it ridiculous to politely ask if we can finish a task in an area that is being farmed to death by L80s that are only there to roll over everything possible? I didn’t say get out of here or please get the F out of here. After all it is a community that seem to take pride in being a helpful community. Asking for help by requesting to be able to complete and event isn’t rude.

The first 2 days were not bad because everyone was camping the holos. Unfortunately my friend could not play until yesterday. Since then they are farming coffers by killing everything in site on starter maps. Even if low level just wanted to farm, good luck unless you want to kill the same moas over and over.

My friend is brand new and still learning the keys, skills etc. No level of coordination can keep up at that level with 4 level 80s speed running back and forth through caves.

See the thing is, before the event you almost never saw very high levels in the area unless it was for an event like SB and then when it’s over they leave. Now, that coffers are most easily farmed in starter maps the maps have been taken over.

GW2 PvE is openworld and everyone has the right to be there..
You have no right to ask any players to leave an area just because you feel unable to contribute to mob kills… yes you only have to coordinate with your friend and contribute in order to tag mobs for loot/coffers while at the same time completing and specific event they are in.
In a few weeks time you will most likely be spamming the chat channels and forums with requests for more people to join you or where is everyone, this game is dieing (my personal favourite).

Its a special event, its popular and players have every right to camp the holos in order to get their minion kills and coffers, just as you do.. btw they might be higher levels in realisty but they all get lvl scaled to the map area/event (granted they may be geared better but it doesn’t really make a lot of difference)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wreave.2138

Wreave.2138

About the only positive thing here is that these folks must feel some guilt, else their defense mechanisms wouldn’t be going full blast.

For those who were too busy defending their own complete lack of consideration to actually read the OP’s post…

HE AND HIS FRIEND WERE NOT ABLE TO TAG MOBS BECAUSE HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS WERE KILLING THEM TOO FAST.

Yes, we know how sidekicking works. Yes, we know how tagging works. Yes, 80’s often do come into low level zones — but they do not ordinarily flood the zone to this degree.

Ideally, high level players knowing this would back off and be conciously helpful towards low level players. And… many are. I am. Back off dps a little. Let other folks tag mobs and get some experience. Or better yet, move on to a different zone.

But of course in this Age of Inconsideration, there are plenty of players who personify it.

Which basically means, that Arenanet needs to address this in some way in the future. Usually, there’s a benefit of having 80s in low level zones — they help populate it and keep it alive for the new players. But when they flood the zone like this, then they can ruin the experience for new players.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

There are no 80s in low level zones. 80s are downscaled to about two level above the area. Traits and armor is their only advantage.

But they have level 80 gear and most of them have full exotic or better, that do alot of differnce.

I was compleating sparkfly fen the other day and ran across a holo and I saw a warrior marching his way over where I was so I waited for him, we started the holo and just before they was killable the warrior started chopping with his 2-handed sword and if I haden’t been a lvl 80 guardian I would never even had have a chance of tagging all of them, they where chopped down in 2-3 strikes from the warrior and I was able to land my spinning attack just before they wen’t down and I messed to tag one.

Level maby doesn’t do that much but equipment does and level 80 usually don’t go with level 15-20 gear at a 15-20 map.

But that isn’t the OP’s problem still, the problem is that level 80’s are farming a cave with bandit’s making low levels progression is map compleation hard and booring since they can’t realy experience the the tasks as they where meant to be done.

Maby there are alternative ways to do the tasks, but some of us like to do all variations in a task just to try it all, atleast I do.

And fighting enemies as you do the tasks makes it interesting and ups the flow of the game, having a guild of level 80s running around in circles around you killing everything you se so the only thing you kan do is picking up task items in five minutes might ruin the experience for a player. or even in some case apperently it was the centaurs and there you can do three thing, kill, destroy or pickup old relics (A very few of them) and it seems level 80s are killing and destroying so what’s left to do is picking up relics that are only a few and I am not sure if they respawn or if they are picked up for good.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wiara.4236

Wiara.4236

Personally I understand the problem being discussed and agree the starter areas are over populated by high levels. I am not saying level 80’s should not go to these areas.

But in terms of farmable events like this one Arenanet needs to take a look at this issue and rebalance it. I don’t believe nerfing the scaling system anymore is necessary, simply because I think its daft you work so hard for gear and would be struggling to kill anything that is a low level veteran and above. When in all honesty your supposed to be a legendary hero that has defeated an elder dragon, which would seem daft and would lead me to think: “well what was the point in acquiring all this gear”.

To me the most sensible option would be to add and update a level scaled drop system for event. For example “the higher you are compared to level of area the less the event items drops”. To me this would be the fairest way to mediate this problem.

Of course there will be those that will argue this idea is unfair. But I can see no other remedy and really it isn’t hard to farm in a level 40+ area, the truth is its all about speed & greed. At the end of the day we should be actively encouraging new players to enjoy this game, we should be encouraging the growth of our community.

(edited by Wiara.4236)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Alice.8317

Alice.8317

I had this problem while leveling my alt in Queensdale, not only did they hog the holos but they kept completing events way too fast. I leveled up a bit and went to a higher level zone, Kessex Hills, and i have no problem there. The holos are a bit harder to kill but there isn’t anyone farming them. But i do think anet need to work on balancing the way scaling works in low level areas.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Fender.3624

Fender.3624

Take advantage of the guesting function… Go to a low populated server and you won’t face any of these problems.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

This isn’t a problem with the event itself. This is a problem with players being obnoxious to each other instead of helping each other out.