Dragon Bash = No Cantha(?)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

I just wanted to see if I’m not the only one with this feeling. With this update we’ve learn that this Dragon Bash-festival is something that traditionaly comes from Cantha with just a minor adjustment to the Tyrian culture. But also with the dragon jade skins which also is from Cantha. I guess I could find alot in this living story that relates to Cantha in specific but the point is that my reaction from this patch is more of a way Anet wants to tell us all that we won’t be seeing Cantha and instead they’ve put Cantha-influenced stuff so we can have at least something which is supposed to be in this game but thanks to NCSoft we will not be able to experience at all.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Well, they did have to remove the canthan quarter from Divinity’s Reach before launch because someone up in higher management at NCsoft decided that Cantha and its oriental themes were too offensive/political or some crap. However, I believe a dev stated at a later date, when everyone found out about it, that it was not out of the question for cantha to return, if the higher up’s changed thier minds, or the individual(s?) who dictated the cutting of Cantha was no longer around. Cantha will not be part of the upcoming expansion though.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Pretty sure Cantha is never going to happen unfortunately. Whether it be because of evil NCSoft overlords or horribly poor decision making by the devs, it just doesn’t seem like something they are working towards. I mean it has been almost a full year and we still haven’t heard from any of the other 4 dragons. At this pace if we do see cantha it will be in 2020 or later.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Akechi Hotaru.7129

Akechi Hotaru.7129

Pretty sure Cantha is never going to happen unfortunately. Whether it be because of evil NCSoft overlords or horribly poor decision making by the devs, it just doesn’t seem like something they are working towards. I mean it has been almost a full year and we still haven’t heard from any of the other 4 dragons. At this pace if we do see cantha it will be in 2020 or later.

Unfortunately I fear you may be right, not only is elona to be released which tbh would probably happen first because its just past the crystal desert but the northern shiverpeaks, charr homelands, 3/4 of maguuma, the ring of fire, and the crystal desert itself need to be released. Say it takes 6 months (rather optimistic I know) for each new region were looking at probably 3 years just to have a finished tyria and thats only to get caught up with tyria in gw1, based on the map they intend on adding many more zones. I fear Cantha; my favorite continent will be forever lost behind all these pirate themed events.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Blame everything on NCSoft. ANet can’t do anything unless NCSoft lets them. They can’t make expansions without NCSoft giving them the money and they can’t do Cantha unless someone in NCSoft reverses a previous decision. It’s not ANet’s fault.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t see how NCSoft being the publishers would prevent them adding Cantha to the game. They were the publishers for GW1 as well and that (obviously) had Cantha in it.

Just because they haven’t done it now doesn’t mean it will never happen.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t see how NCSoft being the publishers would prevent them adding Cantha to the game. They were the publishers for GW1 as well and that (obviously) had Cantha in it.

Just because they haven’t done it now doesn’t mean it will never happen.

Because at the time of GW1 there wasn’t an issue, and NCSoft most likely didn’t fully know what was involved, even if they didn’t care then.

Now, due to whatever, there is a problem, and being fully aware of what Cantha involves they said no. Since the Publisher controls the money the Publisher has control of the project. ANet is beholden to NCSoft, regardless of what they might want to do.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

The Canthan district was dropped because Asains didn’t like the Canthan district to be overshadowed by the European style walls and everything that Divinity’s Reach has. It has more to do with history.

Outside of that Cantha hasn’t really been brought up in any talking points other then they would like to go back there. With ANET’s stance on not giving out to many secerts I think it is a safe bet to say we will go back at some point.

Hjorje

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Cantha was a horrible representation of the Asian culture, more specifically, the Ancient Chinese culture.

I’m not Chinese and I’m offended by it. Ancient Chinese culture is not just about over-crowding, oppressions, gangs, and other bad stuff that the Canthan expansion portrait, which 1/3 of the expansion is centered around these negative stuff. And it took a group of foreigners to liberate the country — oh my.

Yeah Anet’s creative team really did harm with that expansion and you cannot rationalize it. You can see it for yourself.

The rule of a Chinese Dynasty would not be for so long if the culture is all about the negatives like that from the Canthan expansion.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

Cantha was a horrible representation of the Asian culture, more specifically, the Ancient Chinese culture.

I’m not Chinese and I’m offended by it. Ancient Chinese culture is not just about over-crowding, oppressions, gangs, and other bad stuff that the Canthan expansion portrait, which 1/3 of the expansion is centered around these negative stuff. And it took a group of foreigners to liberate the country — oh my.

Yeah Anet’s creative team really did harm with that expansion and you cannot rationalize it. You can see it for yourself.

The rule of a Chinese Dynasty would not be for so long if the culture is all about the negatives like that from the Canthan expansion.

Except it doesn’t ACTUALLY have anything to do with the Chinese because it’s not China, the Chinese Dynasty, nor Asia in any way. It is Cantha with their own history and problems whose developement culturally mimics the chinese, the greeks and another culture I forget, cosmetically.

This is the problem, people get bent out of shape about stuff that isn’t actually a representation of anything, nor meant to be. It’s just a way of adding another human culture into the game world and lore, in such a way that makes sense.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

It’s a combat oriented game, most of it is going to be negatives, something for you to fight. You want to fight against happiness and prosperity?
Anyway, most of Tyria was a hellhole as well. Do you recall many positive things about post-searing Ascalon? I mostly remembered the ageing insane king that refused to admit defeat and retreat. And then you get to Kryta, which is ruled by an oppresive religious cult that hides everything from its people.
Sure, that all sounds very positive.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.

in Dragon Bash

Sir Vincent III.1286

Except it doesn’t ACTUALLY have anything to do with the Chinese because it’s not China, the Chinese Dynasty, nor Asia in any way. It is Cantha with their own history and problems whose developement culturally mimics the chinese, cosmetically.

This is the problem, people get bent out of shape about stuff that isn’t actually a representation of anything, nor meant to be. It’s just a way of adding another human culture into the game world and lore, in such a way that makes sense.

Regardless. Even if it is “based” on the true story and not the “actual” story, it still presents some connection that no one can deny.

Besides, you cannot prevent anyone from being offended. What’s important is, what do you do when you offended someone. Anet’s solution is to sink the whole quarter of Divinity’s Reach.

Sure we lose out on whatever content that it would have given us, but it’s better than having problems along the way.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Dragon Bash

Sir Vincent III.1286

It’s a combat oriented game, most of it is going to be negatives, something for you to fight. You want to fight against happiness and prosperity?
Anyway, most of Tyria was a hellhole as well. Do you recall many positive things about post-searing Ascalon? I mostly remembered the ageing insane king that refused to admit defeat and retreat. And then you get to Kryta, which is ruled by an oppresive religious cult that hides everything from its people.
Sure, that all sounds very positive.

The difference is, in Ascalon, we’ve experience the common peaceful way of life in Pre-Searing. Also you get to travel to the kingdom of Kryta.

The negativity was not brought by the people who live there, rather by some exterior presence. In Cantha, you got slap in the face with negatives brought by the people and its government even before Shiro goes bonkers.

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

Except it doesn’t ACTUALLY have anything to do with the Chinese because it’s not China, the Chinese Dynasty, nor Asia in any way. It is Cantha with their own history and problems whose developement culturally mimics the chinese, cosmetically.

Regardless. Even if it is “based” on the true story and not the “actual” story, it still presents some connection that no one can deny.

Besides, you cannot prevent anyone from being offended. What’s important is, what do you do when you offended someone. Anet’s solution is to sink the whole quarter of Divinity’s Reach.

Sure we lose out on whatever content that it would have given us, but it’s better than having problems along the way.

What story? Again, it’s not based on anything, it is a cosmetic similarity. It LOOKS similar, but other than that it’s like saying that Japanese culture or Vietnamese culture is based on the Chinese because they have similarities. They are their own cultures, and the Canthan culture is their own because they have a history completely unrelated to anything that happened in Asia, because they’re not part of Asia in any way.

ANet’s response was not due to offending someone, it was due to being told at the last minute that they couldn’t put something they put a lot of effort into in the game. They had no time to rework it, so they just tore the whole thing out.

in Dragon Bash

swiftpaw.6397

By that same token I can say that the Norn are the representation of European/celtic culture and should not be included because they could offend someone. The human race.. is representing humanity IRL.. The asuran are the typical nerd stereotype, which I’m sure could offend someone there.. etc etc. God forbid they add Elona because we might end up offending middle eastern cultures along the way as well.

It’s all gotten quite silly, NC Soft are a bunch of looneys.. I thought they were bad back in the Aion days.. I hope A-Net gets their way with Cantha in the future.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The reason why Cantha (namely the Canthan District in Divinity’s Reach) was removed is because the Cantha culture is a mixture of Japanese, Chinese and Korean as a unified culture. HOWEVER, Asia doesn’t like to be classified as a unified culture, and so it is, in some cases, rude to the Asian cultures by merging them together.

The Canthan culture can be perceived as a representation of a unified Asia, of which there is lots and lots of debate and arguments. If they released the Canthan quarters, it would have created a large amount of unrest which they did not want to deal with.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

What does it matter if some people can see possible similarities between the in-game world and the real world? I think players need to drop the real world at the login screen and just enjoy the game for what it is. When I played through Factions I never analyzed it like you have. It was beautiful, I enjoyed playing it, and I definitely want to see it make a re-appearance in GW2.

Also, contrary to popular belief, it’s actually O.K. to be offended by something. Being offended just means you have feelings, it’s how you choose to manage your offense to something that matters. I’m offended by things all the time. So far it hasn’t caused me any physical or mental harm. I think in the case of Cantha, speaking of offense, it all seems a bit overkill. Of course the art style and the naming are oriental inspired, but why can’t we just leave it at that? It doesn’t have to mean ArenaNet is making a commentary on world affairs does it?

in Dragon Bash

Sir Vincent III.1286

By that same token I can say that the Norn are the representation of European/celtic culture and should not be included because they could offend someone. The human race.. is representing humanity IRL.. The asuran are the typical nerd stereotype, which I’m sure could offend someone there.. etc etc. God forbid they add Elona because we might end up offending middle eastern cultures along the way as well.

It’s all gotten quite silly, NC Soft are a bunch of looneys.. I thought they were bad back in the Aion days.. I hope A-Net gets their way with Cantha in the future.

You missed the whole point. Not because it is depicted from those cultures but what aspect of that culture did they used. This is not about stereotypes. It’s the misrepresentation of a real life culture.

Even during the time of the Warring States in China, it’s not all about tyranny and oppression and power. Each State wanted peace, but in their own term.

If you watch any of the cultural movies made by those countries — not by Americans — you’ll see that the Western perspective of Asia is corrupted and short-sighted.

All I’m saying is — there was an opportunity where Anet could’ve used the good qualities from the cultures but instead they chose to use the bad qualities.

Everything in Cantha is doom and gloom, so depressing.

in Dragon Bash

swiftpaw.6397

You missed the whole point. Not because it is depicted from those cultures but what aspect of that culture did they used. This is not about stereotypes. It’s the misrepresentation of a real life culture.

Even during the time of the Warring States in China, it’s not all about tyranny and oppression and power. Each State wanted peace, but in their own term.

If you watch any of the cultural movies made by those countries — not by Americans — you’ll see that the Western perspective or Asia is corrupted and short-sighted.

All I’m saying is — there was an opportunity where Anet could’ve used the good qualities from the cultures but instead they chose to use the bad qualities.

I added stereotypes because those tend to offend people as well. However, Celtic culture is pretty obvious in the Norn, and that is/was a real life culture and to me, I see that as a bit mocking, everytime I walk past the lady that says ‘I pray to the spirits of the wild but they rarely answer.’ I chuckle to myself because, well duh, you idiotic norn, it’s because they probably don’t exist..They are all brawn and not particularly smart in comparison to the other races, I could easily see that as a negative representation of Celtic/Paganistic culture. The way I see it, it’s not that content is offensive, it’s that people choose to be offended. Which is why some people are offended and other people are not. My boyfriend for example, is Chinese, and he enjoyed the Canthan campaign the most out of all the GW1 campaigns and thinks it’s ridiculous that it is to be left out of GW2. He does not share other people’s sensitives, even though he is a very politically aware individual.

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

in Dragon Bash

Sir Vincent III.1286

What story? Again, it’s not based on anything, it is a cosmetic similarity. It LOOKS similar, but other than that it’s like saying that Japanese culture or Vietnamese culture is based on the Chinese because they have similarities.

lol. No. You’re wrong.

Japanese is Japanese, Chinese is Chinese, etc. The similarity that you are seeing is your bias and a bit of racial profiling.

They are their own cultures, and the Canthan culture is their own because they have a history completely unrelated to anything that happened in Asia, because they’re not part of Asia in any way.

The official GW wiki disagree with you.
“Cantha is heavily based upon Eastern Asia and its cultures.”
Link: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Cantha

ANet’s response was not due to offending someone, it was due to being told at the last minute that they couldn’t put something they put a lot of effort into in the game. They had no time to rework it, so they just tore the whole thing out.

Really? Read this and educate yourself.
“At one point, Divinity’s Reach contained a Canthan district similar to the Ossan Quarter. The district was removed late in development because NCsoft received negative feedback from the Asian gaming markets, who were uncomfortable that Chinese and Korean architectural styles had been mixed, damaging the possibility of a Canthan expansion”
Link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

in Dragon Bash

Sir Vincent III.1286

If you watch any of the cultural movies made by those countries — not by Americans — you’ll see that the Western perspective or Asia is corrupted and short-sighted.

I added stereotypes because those tend to offend people as well. However, Celtic culture is pretty obvious in the Norn, and that is/was a real life culture and to me, I see that as a bit mocking, everytime I walk past the lady that says ‘I pray to the spirits of the wild but they rarely answer.’ I chuckle to myself because, well duh, you idiotic norn, it’s because they probably don’t exist..

Um, yes they do. What game are you playing?

They are all brawn and not particularly smart in comparison to the other races, I could easily see that as a negative representation of Celtic/Paganistic culture.

Again you missed the point. You are just beating around the bush.

If Anet took the Celtic culture and simply depict it as barbaric, irrational, and uncivilized, then yes, you may have an argument — but Anet didn’t do that. Look at Cantha and see the silliness on what you’re saying.

The way I see it, it’s not that content is offensive, it’s that people choose to be offended. Which is why some people are offended and other people are not.

How can you be offended of something about Asia if you are not Asian?

Do you choose to be offended if someone is doing something inappropriate in public?

Don’t be silly.

My boyfriend for example, is Chinese, and he enjoyed the Canthan campaign the most out of all the GW1 campaigns and thinks it’s ridiculous that it is to be left out of GW2. He does not share other people’s sensitives, even though he is a very politically aware individual.

Well that’s good for him. One out of many people in Asia who petitioned NCSoft to sink the Cathan Quarter.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

They’ve made hints about filling in the Great Collapse in Divinity’s Reach.

Whether or not it’ll be replaced by a Canthan quarter, we shall see.

in Dragon Bash

swiftpaw.6397

- In real life, spirits of the wild don’t exist.

- I’m not beating around the bush, i’m choosing to be offended!

- How can I be offended of something about Asia if I’m not Asian? What? Didn’t you state earlier that even you were offended? Are you Asian? Do I need to be asian to get angry about asian things? I’m not Chinese and I’m offended by it.

- And yes, if someone was doing something in public, I could choose whether or not to be offended. Easy. The Chaser’s War on Everything is an excellent show btw. They do crazy stunts in public all the time, and some people decide to go on the warpath about it while others dont care, or get mad about it.

-Where is this petition? I read the thread with the dev response and I don’t recall seeing a ‘petition’ with ‘many’ people. I specifically remember them saying that someone higher up made the decision, of their own volition. Where’s this petition?

- Oh and I can easily interpret the norn as a barbaric and uncivilized race, because my idea of what that is could be considerably different to what yours is. Same as what your idea of negative representation is in regards to cantha could be very different to other’s ideas.

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: bwuki.2175

bwuki.2175

blah blah

what the hell are you talking about.

Brotherhood of the Butterfly
Voted “most likely to die/fail” by peers

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

They’ve made hints about filling in the Great Collapse in Divinity’s Reach.

Whether or not it’ll be replaced by a Canthan quarter, we shall see.

The Great Collapse WAS the Canthan Quarter.

Source: See 1h45m

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I didn’t like Cantha from GW1.. I felt the architecture (Kaineng area) was too much of a copy of asian architecture and that broke immersion for me .. for example, all the red in the palaces/temples took me out of guild wars and into China.

I did like the Luxons and Kurzicks and the Jade Sea however.

Anyway, I’d be happy not to return to Cantha and instead see a new world, especially architecturally (I really like the circle-themed Orr.. seems very new)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

I guess it all depends on one’s perspective. I never found Cantha or Elona for that matter offensive to anyone’s culture because I knew it was just a game. And if that is the reason they aren’t planning to bring Cantha back, it seems shortsighted. The rest of Tyria has changed; so Cantha wouldn’t be the same either, the perfect opportunity to bring a more modern take on things.

I wonder if we’ll even see the Crystal Desert anytime in the near future. Maybe it’ll take another 5 years of development.

in Dragon Bash

Sir Vincent III.1286

- In real life, spirits of the wild don’t exist.

That’s what you think.

- I’m not beating around the bush, i’m choosing to be offended!

Getting offended is not a choice, it’s a normal human reaction. What you can choose to do is not to let it bother you.

- How can I be offended of something about Asia if I’m not Asian? What? Didn’t you state earlier that even you were offended? Are you Asian? Do I need to be asian to get angry about asian things? I’m not Chinese and I’m offended by it.

I’m Asian, but not Chinese.

Getting offended and getting angry are not the same thing.

- And yes, if someone was doing something in public, I could choose whether or not to be offended. Easy. The Chaser’s War on Everything is an excellent show btw. They do crazy stunts in public all the time, and some people decide to go on the warpath about it while others dont care, or get mad about it.

I said “inappropriate”. And just because they don’t care nor get mad doesn’t mean they weren’t offended by it.

-Where is this petition? I read the thread with the dev response and I don’t recall seeing a ‘petition’ with ‘many’ people. I specifically remember them saying that someone higher up made the decision, of their own volition. Where’s this petition?

Right, it was a “one man” decision — my bad. sheesh.

- Oh and I can easily interpret the norn as a barbaric and uncivilized race, because my idea of what that is could be considerably different to what yours is. Same as what your idea of negative representation is in regards to cantha could be very different to other’s ideas.

Interpretation is not the same as representation. You should care to know the difference.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: uberman.2619

uberman.2619

There is still that hud of unfinished asura gates in LA. They gotta lead somewhere eventually, doods. There’s going to be plenty of new stuff, don’t worry.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

While I find it surprising that anyone would find Cantha offensive, it’s not for me to determine what other people are allowed to be offended by.

‘I don’t wear glasses, so people who wear glasses shouldn’t be offended when I stereotype them as 98lb virgins.
I’m not overweight, so heavy people shouldn’t be offended when I stereotype them as weak willed and lazy.
I don’t live in a rural area, so people who do shouldn’t be offended when I stereotype them as inbred sheepshagging yokels.
Why not? Because I’m just joking of course, don’t be so sensitive!’

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

Cantha is not China, or Japan, or Mongolia, or any Polynesian island. It just had themes from them.
It was originally inspired by Asian and Oceanic themes, and not intended to be faithful reflection of them.
Themes. Not countries or cultures in particular.

A mix of things becomes always a new thing.

http://everythingisaremix.info/

Nothing will ever change that.

There is still that hud of unfinished asura gates in LA. They gotta lead somewhere eventually, doods. There’s going to be plenty of new stuff, don’t worry.

6 gates. One north, one west, one east, one south, one for the Tengu, and, of course, one down…

Which one should be for Cantha?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

All dragon ball represents is how far Anet can possible get from the original statement of “Skill based” game as possible. They have continually pushed this horrible design of mob rule for almost a year now. It is the most frustrating thing in the world.

It is WvW only without doors, perma vigor builds and cheesy stealth builds.