Dragon Bash critique from day one

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Get read for more Dragon Bash bashing.

It’s day two and I think I’m already done with this one. That’s not true, of course, I will continue to suffer through it because if nothing else I “need” the acheivements. But I still have complains and this is the place for them. I’ve read a lot of threads with similar troubles, but haven’t seen a complete compelation.

So it’s day two and the real events haven’t actually started yet, but we have gotten a bit of a taste of things.

Currently we have Holograms, Pinatas, Fireworks, Crates and Moa Racing.
The main problem I have, so far, is that things are not working the way they did in previous holiday events. For Halloween when I saw a pumpkin I could go carve it. If someone got to the pumpkin and carved it a fraction of a second before I clicked on it I didn’t lose the chance to. Everyone could interact with it equally. Just like snowmen in Wintersday and Hearts everywhere else. That isn’t the case for Pinatas and Fireworks in the cities. If you’re sufficiently far away at the point of interaction you can still get in there and use it, but if you’re standing right next to it you miss out. I will accept that this might be a bug, and if it is I hope it gets fixed, but if it’s intended it just makes no sense and harbors an atmosphere of competition for trinkets rather than community and cooperation. GW2 is no supposed to be about camping.

Holograms take too long to reset and provide too little when used. During Halloween if a door was openned and it spawned mobs they came in waves, so people had time to get in on the fun. During Wintersday if someone opened a giant presant it left presants than anyone could partake of, even if they missed the skritt or toys it dispensed. Once again this event is inspiring camping, because if you don’t you risk missing out on the handful of holograms that come out and you get nothing out of it otherwise.

Now I know we have all month, which is more than enough time, or should be, but I worry that it could be the start of a trend. All trends have to start somewhere and I don’t want to see GW2 pushed into a competative jerk fest of people stepping over other people in order to get what they want because otherwise they might miss it. That’s not what this game was designed to be.

I mentioned Crates, so I’ll simply say I don’t have a problem with them. I encourage ANet to continue putting RNG boxes on the market, especially boxes that are easily acquired ingame just by playing, because anyone stupid enough to spend money on them deserves to lose it, and I’d rather it be in ANet’s hands than theirs. I generally don’t care for the skins anyway.

Finally is Moa Racing. It looks like a truly delightful game and way to waste money, but there is no way in hell I am spending 50 silver on it. That is an absolutely absurd price. Not everyone has thousands of gold. I have just over a hundred, and I only have that because I managed to get two skins from Super Adventure Box. I still would not waste it on a silly game. This is as bad as the Cattlepult in Diessa Platue. A level 15-25 zone charging 50 silver per gamble, it’s absurd. Give us the option to set a price down to a few coppers and make whatever prize there might be scale to that. As such giving us the option to go well over the 50 silver if we really wanted to.

I won’t go into Dragon Ball because I don’t participate in PvP, so I really know nothing about it. I hope the rest of the events turn out to be better and that the story is fun. I wish there was a Jumping Puzzle, I really enjoyed those during Halloween and Wintersday.

I’ve enjoyed the previous events, and especially enjoyed the previous holidays, but it’s the second day and this one is already putting a bad taste in my mouth, and I don’t think it’s Zaitaffy.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: kyro.8162

kyro.8162

Dragon ball is utterly terrible. First they had the nourishment bug where participants can be invincible by eating a form of Pie. This was fixed in a few hours, but basically rendered Dragon ball unplayable for those who liked fairness. This is one of dragon balls problems. Dragon ball lacks any sense of fairness, as in, anyone can hop to what ever team they want. NO LIMITS.
I was playing on a 3v3 match up. Right at the start 2 of my teammates rushed the middle along with 2 of the enemy. I was 1v1ing another one of them. My 2 teammates lost and decided they were on the bad team. So they hopped over to the other team. The game didn’t even stop them like in spvp. I was effectively in a 5v1 game. At that point I decided to wait for more people to join the game to even things out. (This all happened in about 30 seconds) Before anyone else even joined, the game just teleported me out of spawn and I got obliterated by the 5 guys. Where is the kittening balance of that?

Sanctum of Rall
New Namek [Kami]
Guardian/Ele/Warrior/Engi/Mes/Necro/Ranger

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Dare I ask if anyone feels this month’s content’s achievements a bit more…grindy? Pinatas, fireworks, holograms and Zhaitaffys all number in the hundreds to finish and theres several of them! I kind of liked the amount of stuff we did for the Southsun event, where the sample gathering amounted to the most at 11 samples. Yes id ask for more content, just like many other ppl, but i really dont think that instead of “collect 10 of X”, we need to “collect 200 of X” as what we meant by more content. I know, i know, some will say a number of these things are easily obtainable, etc and tht we have a month, but im really short on time this month (started working again, animation is lots of work) so not many days i can really sit and focus on completing these.

I wasnt as keen on the weapon skins this time round, theyre pretty but not really my style mostly, so i feel less annoyed at seeing yet another RNG gate to skins. Yes the coffers drop easily enough, but thats not the issue here is it? is what u get from the coffers tht will be debated, or rather how often can it be obtained from such coffers Quite frankly, enough with arbitrary RNG, give it like SAB where there is option between RNG or working slowly, but surely for it. If i have to see a split choice in the matter its between slow but certain progress and plain lucky RNG, rather than argue on stuff regarding free rng vs gemshop rng kind of thing.

I’m getting the issues with fireworks, pinatas, and holograms as the OP mentioned, so i concur with those.

Moa race gambling, i just think 50s is asking quite a lot. Probably id complain less on this if im a CoF1-a-holic, running that a bazillion times a day, but gosh im so bored of that dungeon :P anyhow, its a big NO for me the way things are for this, so im choosing to stay away from it.

I actually like dragon ball, which says a lot coz i typically stay away from sPvP. I heard of some bug isssues, but havent really seen so i wont comment on the matter. the one thing i will say is that having played it a few times, it seems i get dc-ed quite often there, especially when trying to use multiple skills quickly. (posted that in the tech forums). One reason i enjoy it is the simple equality of it. (no thief stealth…wooot! ) I do wish such things (like the toypocalypse for wintersday as well) we can go in with our own specific teams rather than randomly assigned group of ppl.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

the amount of bugs and poorly designed content in this release has got to be very embarrassing for Anet, its been shockingly awful,. If I was a dev I’d be ashamed of it. Not only the bugs and exploits, but the lack of quality.
Take Holonodes. in a game designed around scaling aparantly no one thought what the consequence would be for players to share these nodes and for them to only have weak mobs lumped together.

All they had to do was make mobs tougher, spawn them at range around the device, make multiple waves dependant on number of players……simplez, but no thats not been thought of apparently.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’d say my only issues are the amount of zhaitaffy needed to get the wings (100,000 really? Thats definitely a grind, in a supposed non grinding game), the gold cost for Moa racing, and having to compete with other players to get the holoprojectors. I don’t really have a problem with the numbers needed for the achievements, since you have a whole month to do them and there’s enough pinatas and fireworks in LA to do them.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wyre.7458

Wyre.7458

Kal-Spiro-9745 You made a good point about the holograms, but mostly you have a very unique point of view and I’m not surprised that you are unsatisfied because you are obviously very picky. :P
For example, who doesn’t pvp?
I just hope you don’t make a thread every time a game makes you unsatified, eventually you could have your own forum category.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Kal-Spiro-9745 You made a good point about the holograms, but mostly you have a very unique point of view and I’m not surprised that you are unsatisfied because you are obviously very picky. :P
I just hope you don’t make a thread every time a game makes you unsatified, eventually you could have your own forum category.

Me. I only participate in the event PvP games for the achievement points, or else the missing rows irritate the hell out of me.

Every time a new event rolls around, I sigh cause I have to play another PvP mini game for achievements.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Me. I only participate in the event PvP games for the achievement points, or else the missing rows irritate the hell out of me.

Every time a new event rolls around, I sigh cause I have to play another PvP mini game for achievements.

Same here. Only “PvP” I do otherwise is WvW, and if I’m doing that I have to be in a zerg, otherwise I’ll just skip those dailies.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Ruruuiye.8912

Ruruuiye.8912

Me neither. I mean I’ll zerg it up in WvW with the server now and again but actual s/tPVP? Haven’t ever touched it.

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

Actually no, I don’t have a unique point of view at all. You would only need to spend a short amount of time in the suggestion forum to realize how mediocre my point of view is.

People who don’t PvP are those who don’t enjoy it, and they are legion. I’m not going to say there are more of us than there are of you because I honestly have no way of knowing that, but I can say there are plenty of us. I personally don’t enjoy it because I’m simply no good at it. I have attempted each of the PvP mini games and in every case have been unable to compete, so I’ve just given up on that account.

As for making a thread every time I’m dissatisfied, no. I occationally participate in other threads about something I’m dissatisfied with, as I’m rarely uniquely dissatisfied with any one thing. This, however, is the first time I’ve been so extensively dissatisfied with an entire event that I felt the need to start a thread about it, and as I think I said, only because no one else had done it first.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

I’d say my only issues are the amount of zhaitaffy needed to get the wings (100,000 really? Thats definitely a grind, in a supposed non grinding game), the gold cost for Moa racing, and having to compete with other players to get the holoprojectors. I don’t really have a problem with the numbers needed for the achievements, since you have a whole month to do them and there’s enough pinatas and fireworks in LA to do them.

To be fair, as I understand it the non-grinding is only relevant to the game itself. There is a long standing tradition of requiring grinds, and some really nasty ones, in order to acquire a cosmetic item. Also it is possible to earn that piece as a drop, so you might not even need to spend the time.

I feel the numbers are a bit high for the achievements, but as you say there are so many nodes in LA that it shouldn’t really be a problem. I think I got into double digits % wise within the first day so that’s fine. I just don’t like how they work, currently.

in Dragon Bash

Wyre.7458

Really? hmmm… well, i dont think any of the content they released yesterday is the problem. they just simply aren’t releasing enough content to cater to people with such specific gaming preferences.

its really hard to believe that you could go without wvw, spvp, or minigames and still have a sufficient amount of enjoyment in this game. Even skill balancing is mostly based on effectiveness in pvp. i personally take advantage of everything this game has to offer pve, and pvp. It just seems like you might be limiting yourself quite a bit by only playing one or the other, but i guess you should only have to do what you like (although there is simply not enough content).

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Ruruuiye.8912

Ruruuiye.8912

The WvW doesn’t use anything from sPvP though. I’ve personally never thought of sPVP as a particularly important part of the game myself. I certainly don’t think the majority of players do much of it although Anet seems to try very hard to push it.

At the end of the day GW2 is an MMORPG, not exactly League or Battlefield here.

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

Really? hmmm… well, i dont think any of the content they released yesterday is the problem. they just simply aren’t releasing enough content to cater to people with such specific gaming preferences.

its really hard to believe that you could go without wvw, spvp, or minigames and still have a sufficient amount of enjoyment in this game. Even skill balancing is mostly based on effectiveness in pvp. i personally take advantage of everything this game has to offer pve, and pvp. It just seems like you might be limiting yourself quite a bit by only playing one or the other, but i guess you should only have to do what you like (although there is simply not enough content).

I honestly can’t imagine how anyone can claim to play this game and say there isn’t enough content. There is more content in this game than any other MMO, in my opinion, because you never outlevel any of it. You can do everything in the game, forever, and none of it ever becomes trivial. They’ve even improved on it such that you continue to get level appropriate gear more often than not.

That’s neither here nor there, though, and not really relevant to the thread. You don’t get me, and I don’t get you. Agree to disagree.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

its really hard to believe that you could go without wvw, spvp, or minigames and still have a sufficient amount of enjoyment in this game.

While i’ doing WvW roaming basically all the time i avoid grinding fractals and dungeons like the plague because i get bored really fast when doing them.

Everyone is allowed to have their own definition of fun, don’t you think so?

in Dragon Bash

Wyre.7458

As for making a thread every time I’m dissatisfied, no. I occationally participate in other threads about something I’m dissatisfied with, as I’m rarely uniquely dissatisfied with any one thing. This, however, is the first time I’ve been so extensively dissatisfied with an entire event that I felt the need to start a thread about it, and as I think I said, only because no one else had done it first.

if you don’t like this update it could be worse, they could get rid of everything, and leave us with nothing except a few weapon skins and moa racing. Oh right.

Lets be honest, the only reason most of us are playing gw2 over any other mmo is because we are waiting for it to be good. it has a lot of potential to be fun, but it just isn’t quite there, and these one time event, side steps, aren’t going to help get us there.

my advice, since there are no other mmo’s that peak my interests, personally, i would stay with gw2 and eventually in 2-3 years this game will become what it was meant to be when it first came out. Hopefully.

just ignore this update, and appreciate the the cool dragon mystic forge. haha

in Dragon Bash

Kal Spiro.9745

if you don’t like this update it could be worse, they could get rid of everything, and leave us with nothing except a few weapon skins and moa racing. Oh right.

Lets be honest, the only reason most of us are playing gw2 over any other mmo is because we are waiting for it to be good. it has a lot of potential to be fun, but it just isn’t quite there, and these one time event, side steps, aren’t going to help get us there.

my advice, since there are no other mmo’s that peak my interests, personally, i would stay with gw2 and eventually in 2-3 years this game will become what it was meant to be when it first came out. Hopefully.

just ignore this update, and appreciate the the cool dragon mystic forge. haha

I love this game and already think it is fun. I’m not waiting for anything. GW2 is exactly what I wanted it to be. It wasn’t a compromise and they did inumerable things right that I’ve been waiting for a game to do.

I have enjoyed the previous events. Especially the holidays, they were a ton of fun. I was hoping this one would be more like them. I don’t really enjoy how the Living World content is being presented to us. I prefered how it was done before, but apparently enough other people didn’t enjoy it that way and made a stink. I don’t have a problem with missing an event, as long as I have sufficient warning that it’s going to be a thing.

All my friends moved on to Neverwinter, and while I would love to continue playing with them, and easily could because it’s free, I have no interest in leaving GW2. You really shouldn’t assume that because you think a way everyone else must too. We obviously have wholey different views on how things should work.

in Dragon Bash

Wyre.7458

Actually no, I don’t have a unique point of view at all. You would only need to spend a short amount of time in the suggestion forum to realize how mediocre my point of view is.

People who don’t PvP are those who don’t enjoy it, and they are legion. I’m not going to say there are more of us than there are of you because I honestly have no way of knowing that, but I can say there are plenty of us. I personally don’t enjoy it because I’m simply no good at it. I have attempted each of the PvP mini games and in every case have been unable to compete, so I’ve just given up on that account.

There is probably a legion of people with a similar point of view as me.

As for what I consider to be “content”, I don’t consider one time events, doing fractals over and over, doing the same open world escort/monster killing events, the 6-7 pvp maps we have to use, or the horribly bad story line quests to be content.