Hologram Farming Etiquette and Courtesy

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

I wish we could get everyone to use the karma vendor molechav kittentails or some of the in-game items to tag mobs in this case…

Though I dunno if the fire damage would screw some people over with not ticking? Burning is weird.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Sorry but it’s every man for himself,lol. Nobody waits for me on those things so why should I wait for them? Plus, I usually don’t get credit for the kills if I let someone else come over so…no deal kiddo, just going to keep killing them as fast as I can.

So because some other are kittens you are one too? Nice attitude right there.

That’s the WoW attitude right there.

I -DO NOT LIKE- seeing that attitude show up in GW2, which up to now has been a more friendly and social game (the forums have been the exception, not the rule, until now).

As for ‘there are plenty of them to go around’ – not if the same person speed clears them all. I’ve had the same guy show up and race past me repeatedly. Unless there were just a stack of norn warriors all using identical armor and weapon skins.

I intentionally avoided the things last night though – not wanting to see or have to deal with these WoW-like people. Got maybe 2 or 3 of them the whole night (was on for about 5 hours – long night).

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

The entire event seems designed to remind us of why we left WoW…

Node stealing has come to GW2.

Nodes respawn in WoW too BTW.

But no – not everyone can tag them if you have some 80 running through 1-shotting them before anyone can get a solid hit in by using speed buffs to race ahead of folks, or running past folks trying to clear adds.

I’ve even been mob trained – had an 80 dump a stack of mobs on me as I was trying to reach the node – click it, one shot AOE the whole thing, and then run to the next one while I was trying to avoid going down.

Yeah I could farm these on my 80 and grief him right back… But should I be -required- to use my most farming-powerful character just to do open world PvE content?

They don’t respawn on an 8 min timer, nor are they as plentiful in WoW. Who cares if they kill them all quickly, tons more around. If this sort of thing bothers you then I would imagine you would be constantly infuriated irl.

As an adult I can tell you that people in “real life” have social etiquette born out by either being good folks or afraid of consequences.

I don’t see conduct like this “in real life”. Not even when I was growing up in gang territory in LA and Oakland (were folks are amazingly polite because consequence can come come hard and fast).

I left WoW so I could have a friendly, social MMO. Not a griefer’s MMO.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

TBH, its better to be in a low level area doing these simply because they have less hit points and its cheaper to travel. I only wait if I see someone and I always kill any pulled mobs since they too drop coffers.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

They should make it so they drop nothing when title is complete. Or disallow player that have 300 killed to use the holoprojectors. That way, they can’t be farmed. I hope the day I make my own game, I will make it fair and punish greedy people if I ever implement something like this.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

Dragon Bash! All new content and mechanics in Guild Wars 2.

- introducing node stealing!
- fierce competition!
- ruthless screwing over your fellow players!
- you will hate the sight of other Tyrians!
- only a hundred thousand tokens needed for a back item! that’s 100x more than in other games! You get to gather them, for free!
- pay more than 50 euro for a cosmetic item and get nothing!
- your adventure begins NOW!

;)

Sure I try to follow my own etiquette and wait a few seconds if I see someone on the horizon. But you are wrong, there is very little time. I’d like a couple of skins, and got none from hundreds of chests. Don’t assume people are playing 24/7 for a whole month..

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Chipies.7654

Chipies.7654

they way i think is.. the faster i get the achievement, the faster ill stop being a nuisance for the others.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

They should make the mobs veterans.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Eliandal.8735

Eliandal.8735

Yeah – sure…and screw over those of us who are actually trying to do this in a level appropriate area. It’s hard enough trying to get kills in vs the 80’s roaming in Metrica.

There’s no real answer to solve this ‘problem’ except that it’s a boneheaded ‘mechanic’ that should never have been introduced in the first place.

Cuthache | Ranger
OTG!
Yak’s Bend!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

Have people not noticed they spawn in nearly every zone? Except orr as far as i can tell don’t know about southsun.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

3.) Help people clear normal mobs.

Why? This does not increase a person’s coffers per hour.

This is completely FALSE.
Every Single Mob in Tryria has the chance to drop these coffers. The only difference between the Holos and regular mobs is the drop rate.
So yes, clearing out mobs in the area WILL still increase your greed-filled back-stabbing worthless addiction of coffers/hr.
What this game needs is more false information being spread around. Good job, keep it up!

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Gahzirra.8639

Gahzirra.8639

Or you know, they just can make them instanced for every player.
Do not blame the players for their playstyle (as annoying as it is for you), blame the game mechanics.

This is what’s wrong with humanity being an kitten is an accepted playstyle, due to internet anonymity.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Well written, OP. +1

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

They spawn every 5 minutes and in the same location, it’s not hard to hang out between two spawn points and bounce back between the two. If I see one pop and no one is around I’ll use it. I’m not going to wait for people, if I see others running for it then I will. If you really suck at it then just camp one, or find a location people don’t hang out it. They are everywhere! Go explore

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Yeah – sure…and screw over those of us who are actually trying to do this in a level appropriate area. It’s hard enough trying to get kills in vs the 80’s roaming in Metrica.

There’s no real answer to solve this ‘problem’ except that it’s a boneheaded ‘mechanic’ that should never have been introduced in the first place.

It’d encourage team play, but it wouldn’t be worth it unless they increased rewards for them being veterans. And veterans are scaled for each map, they don’t equate to lvl80 content.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

The way the nodes worked for Wintersday was much, much better. The greatest chance for the best rewards came from the presents that the node would spawn along with the mobs. The mobs also had loot and were worth killing, but if you were late to the node or didn’t tag all the mobs, you still had about 1 1/2 minutes to loot the presents that dropped and those presents were “phased” so each person could loot their own.

Today’s changes will encourage more cooperation, but it seems like just another flawed attempt to avoid the fact that the previous way was the correct way and these changes have been detrimental.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

The entire event seems designed to remind us of why we left WoW…

Node stealing has come to GW2.

Nodes respawn in WoW too BTW.

But no – not everyone can tag them if you have some 80 running through 1-shotting them before anyone can get a solid hit in by using speed buffs to race ahead of folks, or running past folks trying to clear adds.

I’ve even been mob trained – had an 80 dump a stack of mobs on me as I was trying to reach the node – click it, one shot AOE the whole thing, and then run to the next one while I was trying to avoid going down.

Yeah I could farm these on my 80 and grief him right back… But should I be -required- to use my most farming-powerful character just to do open world PvE content?

They don’t respawn on an 8 min timer, nor are they as plentiful in WoW. Who cares if they kill them all quickly, tons more around. If this sort of thing bothers you then I would imagine you would be constantly infuriated irl.

As an adult I can tell you that people in “real life” have social etiquette born out by either being good folks or afraid of consequences.

I don’t see conduct like this “in real life”. Not even when I was growing up in gang territory in LA and Oakland (were folks are amazingly polite because consequence can come come hard and fast).

I left WoW so I could have a friendly, social MMO. Not a griefer’s MMO.

I see this behavior all the time. I’ve seen it in LA, Portland, Albuquerque, NY… areas dont matter when it comes to this. Some people are just selfish. I guess being around it has given me a tougher skin than others and the ability to brush off unimportant things that don’t really matter. That also comes with age for most.

Anyways they changed it so they go invuln at the start and have ore hp. No more QQ about this from players I hope.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

Honestly you can debate if we should be courteous or not forever but these are just designed for selfish play. Why weren’t these made individual like gathering nodes? Lets look at the factors in place:

*Player is incentivized by farming for items that will only be available for a small period of time thus farming as fast as possible is ideal.
*Content is not particularly challenging as to need other people so there’s no incentive to group up.
*Content is freely available to all and when it is eliminated it takes some time and effort to find the next one.

These things all add to turning players into selfish brats. If the path of least resistance is to be selfish the majority of players will go down that path.

The mechanics and design of these are at fault.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Dominura.3657

Dominura.3657

I called it on the map chat, since it was near a WP. Two others came, and in normal chat, we were like “lets go”. Then a douchy thief comes out of the WP, uses haste, leaps a million times, opens it and kills it. I was lucky enough to land a necro mark on it, but the other two were guardians and missed out. Really annoying!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I’d like it if they added the ability to player kill in this game. Then all the nodes would be mine!!!

Love it!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

last night again I tried the nice approach only to have some other player activate it while I was attempting to alert other players in the area.

At once stage my slow running (grrr) necro was sauntering her wiggling butt up to the holo as there appeared to be no one else in site and some dumb kitten came running past me at lightening speed and took the whole thing before I could even hit swiftness .

I was mad for like 2 seconds and then lolled.

It then became a competition between the other player and I across the map, It was actually quite fun.

(edited by Lisa.6102)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I agree with the OP! And I call BS on anyone who say’s “No one waits” because I was for hours last night. Sitting there jumping up and down letting people know I’m waiting for them.

For the game, I would agree that does not reward altruism at all. It’s all about rewarding (brain washing) greed and being self centered. It’s not community building but, mafia style mob building

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

btw.. I used these for tagging and a laugh
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bandit%27s_Improvised_Bomb

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

ANet encourages greed and gambling. Definitely kid-friendly hey. :P

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Here are a few facts a out the holograms.

1. They are available for a limited time only.
2. You need to kill 300 creatures for the achievement.

We’re on day 3 of the festival which lasts until July 9th… most people are already well on their way to at least 30% finished (if they are at all hunting holograms).

The courtesy principles stapled by the OP are nice, but I feel maybe 1-1.5% of the game’s population will see it, and those playing it will just have to make do.

Myself – I check if someone’s around or close, then I let them pop whatever AoE skill they want, pop stability (for us) and then spawn the holo and we proceed to loot happily after a little carnage.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season