Moa racing too expensive IMO

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I was thinking of saving up for pet moa (I do want one). But with my luck, heck I’ve been betting the same one and it is definitnely about 20% chance of winning anything. But thinking of just throwing all my tickets at some bags to get my money back.

That or save the tickets for the coming years till one day I can afford it. Wonder if that is their intent.

Betting with candy would be nice, but I doubt they’ll go for that.

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

It is kind of expensive, but GW2 needs a gold sink. Just because you are incapable of generating this wealth doesn’t mean others can’t.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Pretty cruel for a limited time achievement. ;/
It’s a forced money sink on people who enjoy getting all of the achievements during events. The impossible RNG drops are fine, whatever, but why this? o.O

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I didn’t intend for this to turn into some kitten measuring contest on who can make the most gold the fastest. I simply think the price for a bet at 50s is a bit much. I was hoping several of these events would cater to all types of players including new players, causal players and people that play more, farm for gold and what not.

I just think for players like myself, and I’m guessing many more, 50 silver hits a budget pretty hard. It is an event that seems to alienate those with limited in game budgets unless they buy gems for gold. Maybe that is part of the idea. Who knows. I’m not “crying” as one person claimed. It is just my observation and opinion. Like I said in my OP, I tried it once and that’s it. I’m not upset I’m just not going to work it into my budget.

But for all of you with 500,000,000 gold you farmed in a week send me some and I’ll be off to the tracks.

Not really I’d save it, convert it to gems, maybe even mail some to random people just to make their in game day.

The Burninator

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

You dont need this for the Meta-Achievement since you only need 10 of 14.

Lots of pity party in this thread as well, some of you need to grow up a bit I think.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Way too expensive for me. This is one mini game that I won’t touch.

too bad that is one achievement less to acquite for the wings

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I’m fine with the initial cost, and all that.

But it would be nice to be more inclusive of those who don’t have the money to throw around. Have a different betting option, say 1s, but the prize is just something simple like 5s/3s/1s/0s/0s, no tickets. Anyone can “enjoy” the race, and it is still an appropriate gold sink without devaluing the mini.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

You dont need this for the Meta-Achievement since you only need 10 of 14.

I don’t like pvp and guys who are using “food” in Dragon Ball Arena either…

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Arc.7346

Arc.7346

Moa racing is permanent, I don’t think Anet intended for people to get this mini today unless they had 100g lying around

in Dragon Bash

Wallace MacBix.2089

During the live intro I’m pretty sure he said that the mini is only for this festival. Afterwards it’s being replaced by a different one.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Caelib.2497

Caelib.2497

It’s a money sink — here’s let’s create an achievement to fix the economy. sigh

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Is the moa race a gambling game? Why are we forced to spend real money (via gems) to get an achievement? An in game currency, like karma or this new pieces of zhaitaffy, should be used for gambling only. I did not see this sign on the game home page.

I just love these kind of posts. Fascinating.

Let’s go through this:

Is the moa race a gambling game?
- Yes it is. As with all gamble games, the house always wins in the long run.

Why are we forced to spend real money (via gems) to get an achievement?
- You are not forced. You need not complete all achievments to get the items from Dragon Bash. Unless you have some serious OCD (but even then, you are still not forced by anyone), you rae not forced in any way to do this. If you do have OCD, this game will not cure it.

An in game currency, like karma or this new pieces of zhaitaffy, should be used for gambling only.
- Like… gold? As in an in game currency? Sounds like a pretty sane idea to me. You can get gold via playing the game and doing stuff. You need not convert real money the gems. It is obtainable in the game.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It is far too expensive, as it stands now it is completely out of the reach of the casual gamer. Not well thought out considering Guild Wars 2 is -supposed- to be a casual MMO.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Dragon Bash

Wallace MacBix.2089

It is far too expensive, as it stands now it is completely out of the reach of the casual gamer. Not well thought out considering Guild Wars 2 is -supposed- to be a casual MMO.

While I disagree that it’s out of the use of the “casual gamer” (problem always is defining what casual is. For me it means 1-3 hours a night, for others it could mean that much in a week). At least those that have had the game for a couple of months. But I do agree that it would be nice to have a cheaper more inclusive version.

If it included a lower betting option of 1s, that would only yield a small amount of silver on a win. It’d be more inclusive and at least everyone could enjoy the racing, though I still wish that we could do the racing ourselves.

Someone pointed out that this is pretty much the same thing as 9rings from gw1. Pay X amount of money to participate and just stand there and see if you win or not. At least 9rings had the benefit of increasing your lucky/unlucky tracks.

Side thought: Would it help or hurt the game if achievements/titles actually did something in gw2 (like one title could increase MF% by a small amount another increase your salvaging chance of retaining runes/getting rarer things, just to site some from ones from gw1)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

I don’t think it’s too bad. I spent about 40 minutes on the game (post-patch). I won 30 track tickets and in the end, when I got the “winner’s circle” achievement, I was only down 50 silver.

I like moa racing because it creates a unique atmosphere, I hope they keep it in the game after the event.

I would like to see them add more options on how much you want to bet, like up to 10g or something. That would be crazy. lol

in Dragon Bash

Wallace MacBix.2089

I don’t think it’s too bad. I spent about 40 minutes on the game (post-patch). I won 30 track tickets and in the end, when I got the “winner’s circle” achievement, I was only down 50 silver.

I like moa racing because it creates a unique atmosphere, I hope the keep it in the game after the event.

I would like to see them add more options on how much you want to bet, like up to 10g or something. That would be crazy. lol

They are keeping it, if I remember correctly from the dev live stream the other day. It’ll stay but the rare moa mini is gonna be replaced by a different one after this event is over.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Imo its a conditioning tool. The more used to it we get the more okay we become with other ig gambling…ie…..rng junk.

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: The Sloth.1427

The Sloth.1427

Moa Racing is a cleverly disguised gold sink. The Mini Moa Racer is just the sweetener to entice people into using it. (The Racer is only available for the duration of the Dragon Bash too, so if you’re a die-hard mini collector, you’ll have to pony up the gold.)

Is the Mini untradeable after Dragon Bash is over? I got one via investing roughly 25-30G. Wanna max profits so will this become more expensive in time? or will i get stuck with this mini? I was gunna wait to see if price rises but can’t afford to get stuck with it

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: The Sloth.1427

The Sloth.1427

Uh wait the PRIZE for the mini racing changes to yellow moa after dragon bash? The helmed mini won’t change will it?

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Merill al Ghuraab.1209

Merill al Ghuraab.1209

While 50s may be trivial to veteran players (regardless of how they acquired the money), I wonder why Arena Net didn’t take lower levels or those who haven’t been playing as long into consideration. That, or they did and just said “screw ’em”. This doesn’t seem to be an event targeted solely at level 80 players, so why charge something that people who haven’t been playing for years or grinding their minds away cannot afford? The cost of entry is far too high.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Is the moa race a gambling game? Why are we forced to spend real money (via gems) to get an achievement? An in game currency, like karma or this new pieces of zhaitaffy, should be used for gambling only. I did not see this sign on the game home page.

you are NOT forced. There are 12 achievements you can get to get the wings, but you need only 10.

also getting the pet is not a must. and it’s an exotic rarity pet. if you don’t want to gamble just buy it from tp for 30g.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Yes, I know a majority of the forum seems to just have gobs of dosh laying around from exploiting game bugs, exploiting other players (bltc) and CoFp1 spamming, but really…

This is ridiculous:

• Mini costs 125 racing tokens.
  • You earn a maximum of 7 tokens for winning a moa race. 3 for 2nd, 1 for third.
  • You have a 20% chance of winning (un-alterable)
  • It costs 50s per bet.
  • You only earn money if you turn in your tokens for winner’s bags. Saving your tokens for the mini earns you nothing.

That is an absolute minimum of 9g you would have to spend assuming that you won 1st EVERY round (which you won’t) – and 62.5g assuming worst case scenario in which you still win 3rd place.

Anyone else feel this is a bit excessive for a mini?

OR

you can farm 30g and buy if from TP.

I farmed dragon coffers and zhaitaffys in the first day and I made 20g in like 2 hours.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Jinn.1675

Jinn.1675

As a new player (approximately one month), this achievement is incredibly frustrating. I’m sitting on a whopping 4g at the moment and so dropping 50s is a real hit to my pitiful funds.

Yes, I understand that this achievement is not necessary for the meta. However, I think that for this particular achievement to be inclusive of most players, Anet should bring down the price a bit.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

If they bring down the cost now they’ll have another 100 page thread on their hands, that ship has sailed. I would have liked the cost at 20s (if they wanted the same odds use 7 racers or something, or adjust amount of win tickets).

I also dont like that there is only 1 item of interest on the vendor, otherwise you can only pick gold bags. I hope they expand the selection eventually.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

My problem isn’t the odds, it’s that they put in a negligible money sink that only the super-rich can afford with rewards that are geared more towards casual players.

This game just doesn’t make sense. (Outside of buy gems > get stuff.) >:C

What’s wrong with a money sink for a purely cosmetic item? How does having in-game items cost in-game money not make sense? Plus, 28g is hardly something “that only the super-rich can afford”.

It’s linked to an achievement, that’s what’s wrong. RNG/Money Sink doesn’t sound like an achievement to me.

in Dragon Bash

Wallace MacBix.2089

My problem isn’t the odds, it’s that they put in a negligible money sink that only the super-rich can afford with rewards that are geared more towards casual players.

This game just doesn’t make sense. (Outside of buy gems > get stuff.) >:C

What’s wrong with a money sink for a purely cosmetic item? How does having in-game items cost in-game money not make sense? Plus, 28g is hardly something “that only the super-rich can afford”.

It’s linked to an achievement, that’s what’s wrong. RNG/Money Sink doesn’t sound like an achievement to me.

There’s an achievement for being rich/hoarding. How is keeping it in the bank and not using it any different spending it.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Inikotu.1569

Inikotu.1569

I agree. Granted I’m a spaz too. … .. . I saw that I was betting silver, but it didn’t register. I lost it all. I have 8 silver left. I’m not sure which is worse, if it was time or money lost. I’ve been wanting to get back into GW2 like the GW1 days… but I just can’t seem to stick around.

So now I’m left dissapointed, … and I’m not even sure if it’s ‘cause I lost all of that silver… or ’cause I know that loss of silver will keep me away, or because this didn’t satisfy my memories of Cantha, Rollerbeetle Racing, or the Dragon Festival on top of the loss of silver.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

50 Silver.. way too pricey. If it was 50 copper I might have given it a chance, but even then, its just not that fun.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

wow suddenly I feel like I hit the lotto by only losing 1-2 gold for the achievement.

#ELEtism