New Cutscene style = BEAUTIFUL

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

I know there have been other posts on this but i wanted to re-emphasize the beauty of this new way of storytelling.

Everything was superb, from the style, to the voice-acting, to the sin city feel.

Keep this up Anet. We want more of this!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I AGREE!!! The new cutscenes are amazing!

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

+1000 … this was a huge step in the right direction! I really, really enjoyed the feel of it, as well as the follow-up “investigative” work done tracking down the missing suspects.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I’m liking how Anet is going with their Living story

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Definitely, I loved the style and hope they continue with it at least for this part of the LS.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

It really is amazing. I got really disappointed at how the story was delivered in Southsun Cove, and now I couldn’t be happier. I can’t wait for today’s update!

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

They need to add support for multi monitors. I spent the entire cut scene looking at people’s noses and lips having no idea what was happening. They have proper support for other cutscenes, why not here?

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Zaeon.3846

Zaeon.3846

I loved the new cutscene. SOOOO STYLISTIC. And the characters finally have attitude.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lianna.6980

Lianna.6980

Absolutely great cutscene! Though Lady looked at me/us/Logan quite… intensely… in the end.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I liked the cutscene as well, the whole film noir touch was great.

The art of the scene was a nice combination of in-game characters and the painterly style. I wonder if there would be any way to animate the characters in this kind of scene? Regardless it is a nice way to tell the story.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

The cinematics team really knocked it out of the park. The June team took some chances with the noir feel, writing style, and design and art choices. Honestly, I wasn’t sure how it would be received. Glad that some folks are “getting” the concept, as it’s not as common in fantasy MMOs.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

The June team took some chances with the noir feel, writing style, and design and art choices. .

They really need to let your team take more chances. A little creative freedom never hurts a game!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The cinematics team really knocked it out of the park. The June team took some chances with the noir feel, writing style, and design and art choices. Honestly, I wasn’t sure how it would be received. Glad that some folks are “getting” the concept, as it’s not as common in fantasy MMOs.

This is a very artistic and original part of GW2. Who cares if it’s not common in fantasy MMOs? That’s what ORIGINALITY and CREATIVITY means that the common MMOs are missing.

Don’t second guess yourselves.

If you will follow what is common then your work will be compared and will always fall short.

Stay positive, original and creative. I personally don’t want to feel like playing the same game that I left for GW2.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

This is a very artistic and original part of GW2. Who cares if it’s not common in fantasy MMOs? That’s what ORIGINALITY and CREATIVITY means that the common MMOs are missing.

I agree. Screw the higher-ups and their over-bloated marketing department.

Artistic freedom and creativity will always be better than “what’s trending”. This is why Majora’s Mask is loved by so many people, because the writers challenged even Mr. Miyamoto himself.

For anyone who doesn’t know, the story behind Majora’s Mask was the developers of “Ura Zelda” completely dropping the project to do their own thing. In exchange to stay out of their way, Shigeru Miyamoto challenged Eiji Anouma and his team to create a new Zelda in only one year.

From the success of Majora’s Mask, we see how great artistic freedom can be!

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

Always nice to have something new and fresh! Nice work :-)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

And maybe thats why its well received. I dont think the noir theme is overdone, or worn out at all. And combined with a fantasy setting can actually be very interesting.

On one hand you have the gritty, noir theme. And on the otherhand the hero that fights with blade and magic to get to the bottom of it all. I think they contrast eachother quite well.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

It doesn’t make it film noir if you have a narrator and a black and white setting.

All in all the quality of writing in GW2 has been quite forgettable so it’s good to know you’re actively looking to make it better. I would still say, though, that majority would prefer fun content without any “story” attached to it than just a lot of story with little content.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Solefald.8751

Solefald.8751

Yes, I’m in love with these kind of cutscenes aswell, also I hoped every dungeon will have the same kind of intro as AC story had. We need much more of these! ;D

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Yeah they were neat, but seriously a item just to review that?
Plus its a cliché. Meant more to be funny than actually artistic. I mean what good detective story doesn’t have that noir kinda vibe?

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

I enjoyed more in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. I hope that was the intent.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

The only problem I have with the scene – specifically the diary reward that lets you replay it – is you can’t skip it. Which gets annoying if you accidentally double click it.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

I enjoyed more in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. I hope that was the intent.

Same here.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Excellent job on the cut scene! =)

I just want to emphasize that I know most of the players do nag, cry n scream when something is broken but we also appreciate any time anet pulls a bunny out of the bag.

So once again, great job!

(edited by ZilentNight.5089)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

to the voice-acting, to the sin city feel.

In my opinion, this is what was bad about the cinematic.

Don’t get me wrong – I loved the concept behind it, and I’m usually one to spout out the good stuff about things as much as possible. But the feel that the cinematic gave was just… too un-Guild Wars like to me. The “sin city feel” as the OP puts it, just made me cringe. In of itself it’d be great, but in the world of GW2 it just felt like a slap to the face of how the rest of the game feels. And I can’t say I’m very fond of Majory’s voice acting – or Logan’s attitude in that particular scene (particularly his very last line in the cinematic; that just felt like breaking character, not so much the line but the tone). But to each their own.

TBH, it felt like the voice actors were trying too seriously, turning it into the feeling of a comedy parody created by over-seriousness.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I don’t wanna dump on the cinematics guys here, but that reminded me of the cutscenes that were straight out of Need For Speed Underground II. Same art design, same partial movement through the sequence (ie. coins and coin bag dropping) all felt very familiar in a different genre of game that came out ~15 years ago.

What I’m saying is that the art direction itself is not original, but if it’s going to be this well received then kudos to you.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I love it.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

Yup, loving it! Never tossing Marjory’s Journal! <3

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: torvon.6534

torvon.6534

I’m going to add my comments. When I saw Marjory’s Cut Scene – I had a super flash back to Ellery Queen, Peter Gunn, Sam Spade, Naked City, Untouchables and Dragnet – all my favorite shows of the 50s into 60s…..

I was soooo happy to receive the “Journal” so I can replay it whenever I feel like it.

You had me on the edge of my seat, taking in every word and every detail.

Thank you ArenaNet for your talent, art and style!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Take more chances like this please. Even if it isn’t good, it can’t be worse than boring.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I must agree it was fantastic:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Malinkij.3561

Malinkij.3561

recieved the book, rewatched, and will watch it again sooooo many times for sure^^

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Taeuuin Noctuurii.4690

Taeuuin Noctuurii.4690

Love the cut scenes! The noir feel, writing style, and design and art choices are awesome!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Arcturus.5846

Arcturus.5846

Loved that scene. However I feel like it only works in that specific setting (Dead End Tavern). Doubt it would look that amazing if it were used on say any cutscene from Personal Story.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: kissofthehell.3720

kissofthehell.3720

Even if they do not redo all story cutscenes. I hope the least they do is to continue do the same style for all events in the future. The cutscene was amazing

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

My partner and I have been feeling a bit like you guys have done nothing but hold back and be afraid to just “go for it” with your ideas (Not the art team specifically, but everyone at A-net) since the game released. It was nice to see that a larger step was finally taken with this scene. Stop holding back and start innovating. The entire game was based on the concept of innovation, risk and world-changing events after all.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Don’t do that Mr. Stein. Don’t allow yourselves to get caught in the trap of GW2 being a “fantasy MMO”. Allow it to continue like it is… a collage of styles seamlessly blending together. Add a dash of fantasy here, a little sci-fi there, a sprinkle of steam punk on the side and you’ll keep having the recipe for success. I mean, c’mon man! We fight dragons with lasers! Keep experimenting, keep having fun.

Oh… more steam punk is good, btw.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Jns.1059

Jns.1059

I don’t wanna dump on the cinematics guys here, but that reminded me of the cutscenes that were straight out of Need For Speed Underground II. Same art design, same partial movement through the sequence (ie. coins and coin bag dropping) all felt very familiar in a different genre of game that came out ~15 years ago.

What I’m saying is that the art direction itself is not original, but if it’s going to be this well received then kudos to you.

Interesting point of view! NFSU2 was a great game ^^ The cutscene reminded me of Max Payne tho. I’d really like to see more of that and Cantha related stuff and eventually Cantha expansion!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Xzaander.4123

Xzaander.4123

What I personally love about it is not the whole noir style and play on clichés (which in itself is charming) but more that it reeks of quality. It succeeds to express emotion, mystery and atmosphere in a cool and dynamic way that I’ve yet to see in another mmorpg. THIS is how the personal story should’ve been told to us… though I realize stuff like this takes time and time is scarce in this business.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sajuuk.4973

Sajuuk.4973

Well it looks like you have some pessimistic and some optimistic people in here about the cut scene. I am one of the optimistic ones that really enjoyed it. In fact I was running with a guild member and we were both on Vent. We were trying to knock out the achievement for the wings when we came across the cut scene. We both had nothing but good things to say about it. I was very impress, so much so that even after receiving my holo-wings for the achievement I continue the story to the end. Normally once I received my reward I’m done and moving on to other things., but not this time. This time I was invested and I wanted to know what else happen. Now I’m excited for the patch today and sky pirates . I applaud you Anet!! Keep up the great creative work. And to those pessimistic one… Well, I guess you just can’t make everyone happy now can you.

Sajuuk Khor / Blackgate / Guild Forty Thieves
PvP R29 Necromancer
Level 80 Necro / Level 80 Thief

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: balto.6408

balto.6408

Must chip in here and give some positive feedback. The cutscene was very nice!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Ar Farazon.9071

Ar Farazon.9071

Agreed, new cutscene style is awesome ^^

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Failth.2935

Failth.2935

I’ve kept telling ppl that the cut scene was amazing.
Loved it! Thank god I was not the only one :P

Ranger till the day I die!
Desolation [TLA]

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

The new cutscene system is great, I like it.

Though the art is different than the usual concept art (such as the one you see during racial backstory). Doesn’t matter much tho

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

Really enjoyed the cutscene and story this time around as well. Great job.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I have my opinion of the cut scene, and it is not the same as most of the views in this thread. But, it is just my opinion so I will keep it to myself.

But PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy, allow me to ’ESC’acpe out of it or Skip to the End. Don’t FORCE me to have to watch the entire thing.

Those who appreciate it can watch it, and those who want to skip it should be allowed!

Thanks!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Eli The Yahoo.9782

Eli The Yahoo.9782

I also liked the cutscene, if it will be done for every event it would really kick things up.
i also liked if the Esc button worked, but again – kudos for animation team