making everyone happy win/win

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: cerberus.1937

cerberus.1937

I don’t know if this is a bad idea or not, but why not make everyone happy by adding skins to the gem store and random drops? The price for direct can be increased to make it so people who don’t feel like spending that much can feel free to gamble if they wish. I like the fact that coffers drop a lot now, but I can understand people who have no positive random chance “luck” me being one of them. Just throwing ideas out there, feel free to add your opinion and disagree.

(edited by cerberus.1937)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

It’s been discussed extensively in the past.

Just to give you a taste, how would you price them and why?

It’s not exactly a trivial undertaking.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Leo.2641

Leo.2641

Free, why? its Free why u asking why

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

Mourningcry’s point is that you can’t just slap them up there and expect it to work.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and buy.

in Dragon Bash

cerberus.1937

I am more big picture; I leave the nuts and bolts such as pricing and the finer details to the pople who actually make the decisions , like anet and the devs. Like I said before just throwing some helpful ideas out there and anyone else is more than welcome to do so as well im sure they appreciate constructive thought and ideas.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s one of those things that unfortunately would not be a win/win. People that worked hard in game to get them would start complaining that it isn’t fair because someone else just bought them without having to play as much.

Anytime something someone wants is on the gem store the “Anet is greedy” group will flock to the forums.

Following that you would have someone complaining because they just bought gems to get them and then got a drop for something they just paid for.

Then as more and more people got drops they ones that paid would not be happy that they are so common.

Then you would have people that got the rare drops complaining there is nothing special now because every Azura and their brothers now has them.

Then you will start getting the complaints that Player A got the drop after 50 coffers or what ever and Player B farmed 10,000 of them and didn’t get any.

From my experience with MMOs, there is never a win/win when it comes to any item, shiny, in the game. What it comes down to in cases like this is that one side or the other will often start claiming that it isn’t fair because they really really want it.

The Burninator

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem is this wouldn’t really make everyone happy.

A lot of people who want the wings, or the mini or the free hat or whatever it is they want only want it because it’s rare and “special” and other people might one day be impressed that they’ve got it.

Other people want it because it’s a sign that they’ve achieved something – what they really want is the sense that they’ve earned it and what it is they’re earned is largely irrelevant.

If everyone could get it quickly and easily through whatever means they prefer then that incentive is gone. It ceases to be a reward and in the minds of most players there is no longer any reason to have it.

Don’t believe me? When was the last time you saw anyone say anything about the Polla doll other than to ask what the point is?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Dragon Bash

cerberus.1937

I guess that is very true, but there has to be a better way than people with luck get all the good stuff while people w/o simple have to learn to deal with it? Guess the question is do you reward with slow progression such as tickets or tokens; even then you might people claim they don’t have the time to do that I guess. I like the vender for the wings but don’t see how its possible to get 100 jorbreakers I been working hours daily and am sitting at 4 jorbreakers maybe 10 I could see but 100 I hope it was a mistake. But something like that works great I would think any other ideas?

in Dragon Bash

Danikat.8537

Personally I think no matter what they do someone will complain. And declare that they represent most/all the playerbase and are going to quit the game forever. Then come right back and do it again next time there’s an update.

I’d say I don’t know why Anet even bother, but I’d be lying because I’ve worked customer service and I know you just have to develop a thick skin and get on with it.

About the wings though don’t waste your time with jorbreakers. You’re better off spending your time farming the holograms for coffers and selling them to buy the wings from the trading post (if they don’t drop before then). It will take a fraction of the time.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

The problem is this wouldn’t really make everyone happy.

A lot of people who want the wings, or the mini or the free hat or whatever it is they want only want it because it’s rare and “special” and other people might one day be impressed that they’ve got it.

Other people want it because it’s a sign that they’ve achieved something – what they really want is the sense that they’ve earned it and what it is they’re earned is largely irrelevant.

If everyone could get it quickly and easily through whatever means they prefer then that incentive is gone. It ceases to be a reward and in the minds of most players there is no longer any reason to have it.

Don’t believe me? When was the last time you saw anyone say anything about the Polla doll other than to ask what the point is?

Well, I guess I don’t have much of an opinion about the economic specifics of the OP’s plan. But:

1) Uh no. Some people think the skins are beautiful in and of themselves. I couldn’t care less about what anyone else has. It will be cool as a signifier of player age/loyalty to the game in the future, granted. But that’s true of anything that’s out or will ever be out. Brahm’s shield, for example, was super pretty and gem-buyable and won’t be back again, in theory. I didn’t buy it because it was rare and thus “special”, I bought it because I liked the design.

2) Achieved… what? Farming for hours and hours and hours? In the supposed grindless mmo? And even then, it’s not like you earned it through skill or seniority. “Earning” here is an illusion. You were lucky through rng. Would the people who buy 1000 coffers from the TP really be considered to have “earned” their skins?

3) the polla doll is only cool if you have a character under like level 20, basically, so I understand the nature of people’s expressed opinions (though I like it, because I have a low lvl alt).

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

in Dragon Bash

Danikat.8537

I didn’t say those attitudes make sense, only that it seems to be most players motivation based on what they complain about on the forum and suggest as improvements.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I didn’t say those attitudes make sense, only that it seems to be most players motivation based on what they complain about on the forum and suggest as improvements.

I understand your suggestion and it is never wrong to provide constructive suggestions. However as with a lot of MMOs, and life in general, no matter what is done there will always be someone saying that it isn’t fair because they really really really want it, but don’t want to have to do x,y,or z to get it.

The Burninator

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

You suggested the OPs idea wouldn’t make “everyone” happy for those reasons. I suggest that I haven’t seen anyone claim they wanted a skin only because a ticket gives them a sense of achievement or they desire super rarity. I have, however, seen people praise them for their design.

My insinuation was that the skins are visually appealing, which is driving desire for them, and this would drive people to be willing to spend real money on them. I suppose I haven’t seen a good reason as to why we should pander to people who want rarity (maybe add more legendaries or tiers, if they want that kind of content) over people who want design. My inclination is to believe that the pool of people who like the design of the skin is larger than those in it for the rarity, and that Anet would therefore make more money by somehow charging flat out for each skin. shrug

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

in Dragon Bash

cerberus.1937

Well idk about everyone else but if they actually gave you a way to obtain it and you just chose not to; the only person they could fault would be themselves. Most I see are people trying, but are unable to due to un seen forces like random drop. Giving an abc = what you want; means you just have to do it, taking away all chance means you work for something, you are rewarded for it, but again just my opinion.